Highest Safety Engineering Excellence Award from U.S. Government

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 08:55 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,594 Likes on 958 Posts
Highest Safety Engineering Excellence Award from U.S. Government

I know we are all concerned about 0-60 and touchpad, but we tend to forget the most important factor of a car: SAFTEY! Once again, Acura is ahead of the game and gives to their customers what others don't! Thank you Acura for making some of the best and safe cars in the industry. I have seen some bad accidents with Acura vehicles and people coming out of the car with some minor scratches.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-co...-us-government

The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
22TypeS (04-03-2023), bilirubin (04-03-2023), ELIN (04-05-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 03:40 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
My wife was T-boned in our first Acura, a '90 Integra LS, by a 4 axle-dump truck loaded with asphalt and towing a backhoe going about 40-45 mph. The car was a few months old and was totaled. She had some bumps and cuts but was otherwise OK. Luckily the truck hit the passenger side (she was making a left on an arrow; he claimed his brakes failed).

The truck hit our Integra first, right on the passenger door, then hit a Volvo stopped at the cross street and then a third car. The Volvo driver had to be cut out of her car and had very serious leg injuries. The third car's driver also had to go to the hospital. While our poor Integra was badly battered and smashed, there was very minimal intrusion into the cabin (aside from a lot of shattered glass).

All this made us go out and instantly purchase a replacement '91 LS, same color (but, new for '91, with electric windows). We feel that '90 Integra may have saved my wife's life, and accordingly we've been pretty loyal to the brand since then.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 04:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
My wife was T-boned in our first Acura, a '90 Integra LS, by a 4 axle-dump truck loaded with asphalt and towing a backhoe going about 40-45 mph. The car was a few months old and was totaled. She had some bumps and cuts but was otherwise OK. Luckily the truck hit the passenger side (she was making a left on an arrow; he claimed his brakes failed).

The truck hit our Integra first, right on the passenger door, then hit a Volvo stopped at the cross street and then a third car. The Volvo driver had to be cut out of her car and had very serious leg injuries. The third car's driver also had to go to the hospital. While our poor Integra was badly battered and smashed, there was very minimal intrusion into the cabin (aside from a lot of shattered glass).

All this made us go out and instantly purchase a replacement '91 LS, same color (but, new for '91, with electric windows). We feel that '90 Integra may have saved my wife's life, and accordingly we've been pretty loyal to the brand since then.
Glad to hear that!

I have seen some scary pictures that people posted on Facebook and their Acura vehicle saved their lives. As I said, we are all very concerned about 0-60 but forget safety most of the times.
JM2010 SH-AWD (04-03-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 04:24 PM
AZ Community Team

@ELIN where is your comment You have to comment here at least. This time no excuses. I am noticing you comment only on negative topics.....This masterpiece engineering will save human lives....So, I would like to see and read your input as we say in French: Merci
Old 04-05-2023, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Glad to hear that!

I have seen some scary pictures that people posted on Facebook and their Acura vehicle saved their lives. As I said, we are all very concerned about 0-60 but forget safety most of the times.
I wish I still had some pictures that were taken of the car for insurance purposes. From a short distance, one would have sworn that someone was badly injured in the Integra. My wife had long hair at the time; a few strands were embedded in the shattered glass on the passenger side. The impact was so hard that on the rebound, her head went over that far! Truly frightening to see what a near-miss looks like and to be grateful for solid engineering and manufacturing that may have been the difference between a near miss and a tragedy.
Tony Pac (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 657 Likes on 354 Posts
It is one of my unwritten reasons for choosing Acura over and over again. It saved me in an accident in my 4GTL back in 2015.
MarcoTLX (04-08-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 02:33 PM
Drifting

Received 1,234 Likes on 893 Posts
It's a nice accomplishment for sure.

How does this correlate with the removal of blind spot monitoring from certain models (and which models were they again)?
Tony Pac (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 02:44 PM
Drifting

I am noticing you comment only on negative topics.....This masterpiece engineering will save human lives....So, I would like to see and read your input as we say in French: Merci
That's not fair! I contributed to positive topics and started threads when I was an owner. You have to weigh all my contributions as an AZ member and not just the criticism.

Oh and "de rien"!
Tony Pac (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 03:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ELIN
It's a nice accomplishment for sure.

How does this correlate with the removal of blind spot monitoring from certain models (and which models were they again)?
Thank you! We are blessed that Acura gives the safety package with almost no charge. Germans charges you for brake hold lol! Let's appreciate Acura's generosity to make some of the important safety features standard at no charge and giving us this state of the art airbag without charging end user If it was Germans, please pay $2,999 for our new airbag!
Old 04-05-2023, 03:34 PM
AZ Community Team

That's not fair! I contributed to positive topics and started threads when I was an owner. You have to weigh all my contributions as an AZ member and not just the criticism.

Oh and "de rien"!
Fair enough as I said you do bring fun here. So no bad feeling! always respect!
ELIN (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Thank you! We are blessed that Acura gives the safety package with almost no charge. Germans charges you for brake hold lol! Let's appreciate Acura's generosity to make some of the important safety features standard at no charge and giving us this state of the art airbag without charging end user If it was Germans, please pay $2,999 for our new airbag!
Yes, Acura does give most safety options as standard. I know you were joking that Germans charge for brake hold but the price of the car can definitely escalate with more safety options.
Speaking of Brake Hold, I can share the following based on prior experience:

Acura Brake Hold: activated by button on demand and is applied every time the brake is pushed (but is not remembered on restart of car).

BMW Brake Hold: a button toggles Brake Hold On or Off. Settting is remembered based on what was selected before ignition was turned off.

Mercedes Brake Hold: pushing the Brake a certain way activates Brake Hold. Brake Hold is released once throttle is engaged and must be manually reapplied every time (if desired).

After putting my current car in the Car Wash and forgetting Brake Hold was "ON", I can honestly say I prefer the Mercedes method the best. The Mercedes Brake Hold is a true "on demand" application and doesn't require any button pushing but rather pushing of the brakes you use every day anyway! In the car wash, the Mercedes method shouldn't ever be activated "accidentally".

Last edited by ELIN; 04-05-2023 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:54 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
I know we are all concerned about 0-60 and touchpad, but we tend to forget the most important factor of a car: SAFTEY! Once again, Acura is ahead of the game and gives to their customers what others don't! Thank you Acura for making some of the best and safe cars in the industry. I have seen some bad accidents with Acura vehicles and people coming out of the car with some minor scratches.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-co...-us-government

It's better than that, Honda engineers won three of the nine awards. No other manufacturer won more than one.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...-safety-awards
Old 04-07-2023, 12:55 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Yes, Acura does give most safety options as standard. I know you were joking that Germans charge for brake hold but the price of the car can definitely escalate with more safety options.
Speaking of Brake Hold, I can share the following based on prior experience:

Acura Brake Hold: activated by button on demand and is applied every time the brake is pushed (but is not remembered on restart of car).

BMW Brake Hold: a button toggles Brake Hold On or Off. Settting is remembered based on what was selected before ignition was turned off.

Mercedes Brake Hold: pushing the Brake a certain way activates Brake Hold. Brake Hold is released once throttle is engaged and must be manually reapplied every time (if desired).

After putting my current car in the Car Wash and forgetting Brake Hold was "ON", I can honestly say I prefer the Mercedes method the best. The Mercedes Brake Hold is a true "on demand" application and doesn't require any button pushing but rather pushing of the brakes you use every day anyway! In the car wash, the Mercedes method shouldn't ever be activated "accidentally".
Why don't you just put it in Car Wash mode?
ELIN (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 03:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mike03a3
Why don't you just put it in Car Wash mode?
I've heard of it but haven't learned how to do that yet. Please share if you know!

Either way, I had to deactivate the Brake Hold as the car couldn't enter the wash in its locked position.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:54 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
I've heard of it but haven't learned how to do that yet. Please share if you know!

Either way, I had to deactivate the Brake Hold as the car couldn't enter the wash in its locked position.
Just a question, don't they have this on the BMW forum or just ask BMW owers?
Old 04-08-2023, 07:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by frainc
Just a question, don't they have this on the BMW forum or just ask BMW owers?
They do. If you are so bothered by my response, why don't you go ahead and tell mike03a3 to not bring up BMW-related questions?
Funny how I'm the only one you pick on...
Old 04-08-2023, 08:31 PM
Racer

They do. If you are so bothered by my response, why don't you go ahead and tell mike03a3 to not bring up BMW-related questions?
I'm not bothered because he doesn't come on here every day and complain about the TLX and you do. Like I say, why didn't you find this information in the BMW forums, since you have a BMW now. Was just a question, not picking on anyone.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:39 PM
Drifting

I'm not bothered because he doesn't come on here every day and complain about the TLX and you do. Like I say, why didn't you find this information in the BMW forums, since you have a BMW now. Was just a question, not picking on anyone.
I commented in this thread on Tony's behalf. Please find a quote from me in this thread where I actively complained about the TLX.
And yes, you are picking on me!
Old 04-08-2023, 09:17 PM
Racer

I commented in this thread on Tony's behalf. Please find a quote from me in this thread where I actively complained about the TLX.
And yes, you are picking on me!
I'm not going to go crazy looking, but you talked about low gas mpg, the back seat, the rear camera, touchpad, parking that takes 5 minutes, etc. I call that complaining, don't know what you call it.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,120 Likes on 2,559 Posts
Folks, please stay on topic.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:13 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Don't drag me into your squabbles. I just responded to your lengthy comments about having a problem getting a vehicle that has a Car Wash mode through a car wash.
I only came here to mention that Honda actually won three awards, not one.
frainc (04-09-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 06:16 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mike03a3
Don't drag me into your squabbles. I just responded to your lengthy comments about having a problem getting a vehicle that has a Car Wash mode through a car wash.
I only came here to mention that Honda actually won three awards, not one.
Apologies for mentioning you. I was curious whether frainc was on anyone else's case (spoiler alert: he's only targeting me). It won't happen again!

I was trying to give kudos to Honda/Acura in this thread but somehow that's backfired on me too. Can't say I didn't try!
Old 04-10-2023, 11:16 AM
Racer

Smile

Apologies for mentioning you. I was curious whether frainc was on anyone else's case (spoiler alert: he's only targeting me). It won't happen again!

I was trying to give kudos to Honda/Acura in this thread but somehow that's backfired on me too. Can't say I didn't try!
LOL, try looking at my response at 1:31 yesterday.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:25 PM
Drifting

LOL, try looking at my response at 1:31 yesterday.
You had 2 posts yesterday, neither of which were at 1:31 (PM or AM).

If you have something to say, we can take this offline to PM and stop bothering the fine AZ folks in this thread.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:37 PM
Racer

Here is my post, no need to bother him. Hey, you said that you will be the villain here, did you forget about that post? OK, I'm moving on, maybe something you should also do.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Let's stay within the topic and of course respect each other!
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
ELIN (04-10-2023), frainc (04-10-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 09:53 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Our cars and safety.

We should all feel confident that Honda and Acura builds cars that consistently get the highest level safety ratings. My family has had Honda products since our first Accord in 1988. We continued, largely because that one went over 430,000 miles with only the normal maintenance. We never crash tested one until Friday,13 October 2006.
In the morning my wife was momentarily stopped in traffic on I-495 when she was rammed from the rear by a truck that never slowed. The tremendous impact knocked her into the car in front of her. Her 2002 Accord was .severely damaged but she walked away with only a minor whiplash. That afternoon a woman driving a Hertz Rental sedan trying to catch a flight at Dulles Airport came screaming down an on ramp and tried to cross all three lanes of the toll road to reach the airport road in the middle of the toll road. She broadsided my daughter in her 2004 Accord and drove her into the end of the guardrail at the end of the crossover between the toll road and the airport road, Needless to say, that Accord was also totaled, but thankfully my daughter was uninjured. Two severe crashes in two Accords and only a bit of a stiff neck for my wife.
We bought two new 2007 Accords, both of which are still in the family. My daughter still has her V6 6-speed and the wife's is now a granddaughter's car after my wife bought a Pilot in 2018.
I bought a 2007 TL Type-S 6MT a few months later which I drove happily until the new Type-S was introduced. I wound up buying something else, as I previously related.

But I feel quite secure with the safety of my choice since a similar one was personally crash tested by the former president of the IIHS:

The following 2 users liked this post by mike03a3:
ELIN (04-11-2023), Tony Pac (04-11-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 11:34 AM
Drifting

Wow, that's a story -- two in one day. I used to live in NoVA -- that's where our Integra was totaled -- and I can't imagine the idiot trying that maneuver on the toll road.

We had a 7th Gen Accord that we ran to over 200K, and in '15 purchased a one-owner, 06 EX (44K miles) sedan for our son. He's graduated from college now and we just sold the '06 with almost 180K on it, getting almost half of what we paid for it in '15 (partly a function of the whacked out used car market). Those 7th Gen Accords were well-engineered and stout as hell.

Glad everyone was OK on your could-have-been-fateful day.