Finally done with Acura!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Call me old fashioned, but i think my red 3D gauges with the digital info section between them is so much more attractive than flat digital gauges. I know they can be adjusted and changed, which always sounds like fun at the beginning, but I am always going to want the Speedometer and Tachometer in prominent locations. As my wireless carplay adapator works like a charm, and I had also solved the wired carplay issues by plugging in at the credits screen, I never have to resort to bluetooth for my Spotify playlist. To me the most important part of an Infotainment System is 1. Great Sound; 2. Reliable Navigation, 3. Simple Menu system. 4. Clear Backup camera; 5. Decent Graphics. My system delivers on all of these.
I'm glad you mentioned the backup camera. For whatever reason, I forgot to mention just how bad it is in my original post.

Does the TLX backup camera help prevent you from hitting someone or an object when going in reverse? YES

Does the TLX backup camera help you park like an adult in a free, lined spot in the middle of the parking lot? NO

Due to my prior history of leasing, I've had quite a bit of experience using cars with backup cameras and the one on the TLX is by far the worst! When arriving to my work's parking lot, it would take about 5-6 tries before I felt like I was centered b/w the lines. In these attempts, it would involve me stepping out of the car and staring at the result vs what I saw from the camera and thinking to myself WTF?!! The TLX camera has a weird fish-eye view that completely distorts reality. If you picked up a few dings on your doors, some of them could probably be attributed to giving up on the parking when you thought you had it "right". I'm not sure if the Advance or Type S trims have a surround view camera (which would help immeasurably) but A-Spec and lower owners have to deal with this. This experience forced me to get the surround view camera system in the X3, which has been exactly as advertised!

This is an open plea to Acura to fix that backup camera so that future owners don't park like 3rd graders!
Old 10-30-2022, 12:27 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I'm glad you mentioned the backup camera. For whatever reason, I forgot to mention just how bad it is in my original post.

Does the TLX backup camera help prevent you from hitting someone or an object when going in reverse? YES

Does the TLX backup camera help you park like an adult in a free, lined spot in the middle of the parking lot? NO

Due to my prior history of leasing, I've had quite a bit of experience using cars with backup cameras and the one on the TLX is by far the worst! When arriving to my work's parking lot, it would take about 5-6 tries before I felt like I was centered b/w the lines. In these attempts, it would involve me stepping out of the car and staring at the result vs what I saw from the camera and thinking to myself WTF?!! The TLX camera has a weird fish-eye view that completely distorts reality. If you picked up a few dings on your doors, some of them could probably be attributed to giving up on the parking when you thought you had it "right". I'm not sure if the Advance or Type S trims have a surround view camera (which would help immeasurably) but A-Spec and lower owners have to deal with this. This experience forced me to get the surround view camera system in the X3, which has been exactly as advertised!

This is an open plea to Acura to fix that backup camera so that future owners don't park like 3rd graders!
Type S does not have the surround view camera.

I am fairly used to the fish bowl look so I don’t find myself having any issues with the camera when I park with my rear towards the curb. However, I do understand what you’re referring to because it did take me some getting used to.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 01:07 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts

It’s funny you mentioned that. I noticed that same thing when I initially got my CTR. I guess by the time I got my Type S, I was already used to it so I didn’t notice any difficulty with using it to park the Type S.

Honda/Acura do have the options for the other non-fisheye look but I figured getting used to the fisheye would be better since it has a wider field of view.

Did you ever just switch camera views?
Old 10-30-2022, 01:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by richii0207
Did you ever just switch camera views?
I did not. I wanted the widest view that showed inside/outside distance from the parking lines. Like previous cars, I expect ALL backup camera views to be usable!

If this is a Honda/Acura “feature”, I’ll be keeping an eye in parking lots on how well these cars are parked.
Old 10-30-2022, 01:29 PM
Pro

I did not. I wanted the widest view that showed inside/outside distance from the parking lines. Like previous cars, I expect ALL backup camera views to be usable!

If this is a Honda/Acura “feature”, I’ll be keeping an eye in parking lots on how well these cars are parked.
But it is usable. You just can’t have a wide field of view without hampering the image. The wider you go, the more “fish-eye” effect you get which is an optics limitation, not software. Perhaps the prior vehicles you had did not have as large field of view.

Last edited by richii0207; 10-30-2022 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:14 PM
Drifting

But it is usable. You just can’t have a wide field of view without hampering the image. The wider you go, the more “fish-eye” effect you get which is an optics limitation, not software. Perhaps the prior vehicles you had did not have as large field of view.
I’m open to that as an explanation. I just wish Acura had some compensation in this view to make it usable. At least 3 of us have acknowledged how weird the view is. Focus groups missed this, assuming they spent more than 5 minutes on this!
Old 10-30-2022, 02:24 PM
Pro

I’m open to that as an explanation. I just wish Acura had some compensation in this view to make it usable. At least 3 of us have acknowledged how weird the view is. Focus groups missed this, assuming they spent more than 5 minutes on this!
It probably wouldn’t have hurt to lessen the pincushion distortion through increasing the radius of curvature of the lens and sacrifice some FoV. I guess that’s why they added the different view selections.
ELIN (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts

I use my backup-camera to backup.
I use my Surround-Cameras to park perfectly between the lines. Also, right up to the curb or parking-stop (without touching or scraping it).

So that's why I always find it strange ... people treating Surround Cameras like they are trivial . I also think most $50,000 cars have them now-days. Same with basic features like rain-sensing wipers. Heck, the old 2014 MDX-Tech-shAWD had those even.
bilirubin (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 04:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I use my Surround-Cameras to park perfectly between the lines. Also, right up to the curb or parking-stop (without touching or scraping it).

So that's why I always find it strange ... people treating Surround Cameras like they are trivial . I also think most $50,000 cars have them now-days. Same with basic features like rain-sensing wipers. Heck, the old 2014 MDX-Tech-shAWD had those even.
Surround cameras were part of the Parking Assistance Package on my X3. I will never get another car without this!
Tesla1856 (10-31-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 05:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Surround cameras were part of the Parking Assistance Package on my X3. I will never get another car without this!
I had an RDX ASPEC Advanced as a loaner once and I was a bit annoyed my Type S lacks that feature. I’m thankful for the heated windshield wipers as it’s a safety feature but I would trade lane keep assist for the camera any day. I can’t stand lane keep assist.
ELIN (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 05:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I had an RDX ASPEC Advanced as a loaner once and I was a bit annoyed my Type S lacks that feature. I’m thankful for the heated windshield wipers as it’s a safety feature but I would trade lane keep assist for the camera any day. I can’t stand lane keep assist.
If I'm not mistaken, the US PMC version of the TLX Type S still doesn't have the surround cameras, right? That's just so disappointing in a car in the "low to mid $60k" range (ADM not included).
Old 10-30-2022, 05:59 PM
Pro

If I'm not mistaken, the US PMC version of the TLX Type S still doesn't have the surround cameras, right? That's just so disappointing in a car in the "low to mid $60k" range (ADM not included).
The Type S starts at $54k in the US. The limited edition PMC with all the carbon fiber accents and body kit starts higher without the surround camera. I don’t really see the big deal for it as I never cared for it TBH.

Last edited by richii0207; 10-30-2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 06:42 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts

I am fairly used to the fish bowl look so I don’t find myself having any issues with the camera when I park with my rear towards the curb. However, I do understand what you’re referring to because it did take me some getting used to.
Mine has it😛
bilirubin (10-31-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmski
Mine has it😛
Are you one of the lucky Canadians?
Old 10-31-2022, 02:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Glad I raised the back-up camera Although I do miss the 360 Surround camera from my 2018 ASpec Elite, I was actually referring to the improved clarity of the camera, and the well lit night camera, especially when paired with the Cross Traffic warning system. As for parking lines distortion, because I use side mirrors as well, i have noticed any distortion. However, I usually pull in front end forward, especially when I find a pull through spot. I'll have to check this out.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856

They are on much cheaper cars these days too which is why it's so disappointing.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:00 PM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Mine does.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:00 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by bilirubin
Mine does.
I should have clarified. The US Type S doesn’t have it. I believe Canada does.
bilirubin (11-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 04:23 PM
Drifting

I should have clarified. The US Type S doesn’t have it. I believe Canada does.
BMW makes acoustic glass standard in the UK and other countries, except in the US.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:50 AM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
BMW makes acoustic glass standard in the UK and other countries, except in the US.
OK Bear, who cares.
The following 2 users liked this post by frainc:
bilirubin (11-01-2022), MarcoTLX (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 11:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Originally Posted by frainc
OK Bear, who cares.

i think everyone cares in Acura forum but not in BMW forum LMAO!
frainc (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 11:08 AM
Drifting

OK Bear, who cares.
I prefer Ursa Major…
MarcoTLX (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 11:11 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

What has the world come to when we need to rely on a backup camera to park in a open parking lot. What will we do when we need to parallel park on a anrrow city street. I guess there is a market for all these self parking gimmicks afterall lol. If the compliants were about the clarity of the camera ok,but I cant line up to the spot sounds like operator error to me.
The following 4 users liked this post by MIKEYDRED:
frainc (11-01-2022), Honda430 (11-01-2022), MarcoTLX (11-01-2022), richii0207 (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 12:13 PM
Racer

Talking

I prefer Ursa Major…
Don't let me post of what I really think, I'm going to be nice!
Tony Pac (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 07:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Don't let me post of what I really think, I'm going to be nice!

so I thought this whole saga of “I am done with Acura” is a positive post and wished the OP best of luck. But yet I see Acura is sticky and doesn’t let go the ex owners. The love is unconditional 😂

You like or dislike Acura, but once you own an Acura. You will never let it go. That’s why I love this brand. So much hate for it by some people but they can’t forget about the reliability, beautiful design and of course amazing performance that they regret leaving the brand but they need to stay and justify. Otherwise why would you sit and comment non stop about something that you’re happy doesn’t belong to you anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
frainc (11-01-2022), Legend2TL (11-02-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 08:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
so I thought this whole saga of “I am done with Acura” is a positive post and wished the OP best of luck. But yet I see Acura is sticky and doesn’t let go the ex owners. The love is unconditional 😂

You like or dislike Acura, but once you own an Acura. You will never let it go. That’s why I love this brand. So much hate for it by some people but they can’t forget about the reliability, beautiful design and of course amazing performance that they regret leaving the brand but they need to stay and justify. Otherwise why would you sit and comment non stop about something that you’re happy doesn’t belong to you anymore.
Great post, love it!!!!!
Tony Pac (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 07:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tony Pac

The stickiness comes not from the Acura brand itself, but from the "back and forth" amongst AZ members. As you and others have noted, there's quite a bit of Acura criticism (much of it is warranted) in these forums which makes for great drama (not unlike the "guy drama" from wrestling I used to watch as a kid!). The Acura supporters will come out of the woodwork to make claims or snarky remarks to try to drive out said criticizers. Rinse and repeat.

You keep harping on the "beautiful design and amazing performance." Was that your Acura marketing that was recently blasted on Reddit?
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
ESHBG (11-02-2022), Kense (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 08:09 AM
AZ Community Team

The stickiness comes not from the Acura brand itself, but from the "back and forth" amongst AZ members. As you and others have noted, there's quite a bit of Acura criticism (much of it is warranted) in these forums which makes for great drama (not unlike the "guy drama" from wrestling I used to watch as a kid!). The Acura supporters will come out of the woodwork to make claims or snarky remarks to try to drive out said criticizers. Rinse and repeat.

You keep harping on the "beautiful design and amazing performance." Was that your Acura marketing that was recently blasted on Reddit?

Enjoy your BMW! You're finally done. This is a polite and genuine message. By no means trying to insult you. When you're done, you are done, right. if not, please change the Title and write, sold my Acura but the unconditional love is there We will be happy to host BMW/Audi/MB and Genesis fans here as they show us how great Acura is!

On another note, you got 12 beautiful likes when you posted your first comment. That's huge! people are happy for you that you moved on!

Last edited by Tony Pac; 11-02-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts

In reality the truth is the opposite of what you stated there. It seems the vast majority of the snarky comments come from a few who generally post negative comments quite frequently, in some cases don't even own the car, and this forum is where they post the vast majority. And Why? Who knows and who cares, but the reality is in the posts. Here are the top posters in the top postings in the 6G forum, for transparency I even showed up in a few that I was a frequent poster (my comments are across the spectrum but in general also a Honda fan).

And the statement "drive out said criticizers"? Again the reality is the opposite with some that post positive comments are instantly labeled as fanboys by the negative crowd. I've had PM's from some owners wondering WTH is wrong with this forum with so much negativity. I'm all for open debate but when there's a steady stream of seemingly constant negativity from a few, people have to wonder what's up with that.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-02-2022 at 01:39 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
bilirubin (11-02-2022), Edward'TLS (11-02-2022), frainc (11-02-2022), mapleloaf (11-04-2022), richii0207 (11-02-2022), Tony Pac (11-02-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-02-2022, 09:37 AM
Pro

The Acura supporters will come out of the woodwork to make claims or snarky remarks to try to drive out said criticizers. Rinse and repeat.
What’s the term for the opposite of an “Acura supporter”?. I’d rather say the “insert your term chosen” come out of the woodwork to make claims or snarky remarks. Case in point, look at the thread with OP asking if X brace is removed…that turned into a personal opinion of the X brace thread instead of answering the OP’s question.

Last edited by richii0207; 11-02-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
In reality the truth is the opposite of what you stated there. It seems the vast majority of the snarky comments come from a few who generally post negative comments quite frequently, in some cases don't even own the car, and this forum is where they post the vast majority. And Why? Who knows and who cares, but the reality is in the posts. Here are the top posters in the top postings in the 6G forum, for transparency I even showed up in a few that I was a frequent poster (my comments are across the spectrum but in general also a Honda fan).

And the statement "drive out said criticizers"? Again the reality is the opposite with some that post positive comments are instantly labeled as fanboys by the negative crowd. I've had PM's from some owners wondering WTH is wrong with this forum with so much negativity. I'm all for open debate but when there's a steady stream of seemingly constant negativity from a few, people have to wonder what's up with that.

And last but not least, enjoy your new X3 (my brother's has had six BMW's, including two M6's)

Wow, I need to get my post count up
MarcoTLX (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 09:52 AM
Drifting

I'm genuinely sad that my "Owner's Thread" is dead last in the Top 10 TLX forums. Perhaps current and prospective owners are not able to find their way due to the 6G confusion?
MarcoTLX (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 09:56 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
I think the newest members are probably not on forums if they are younger and too busy to spend time on here if older.
I miss the days of the forum being the SPOT.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:02 AM
Drifting

What’s the term for the opposite of an “Acura supporter”?. I’d rather say the “insert your term chosen” come out of the woodwork to make claims or snarky remarks. Case in point, look at the thread with OP asking if X brace is removed…that turned into a personal opinion of the X brace thread instead of answering the OP’s question.
Opposite of an “Acura supporter” is an “Acura criticizer”.

I don't mind “Acura supporter” comments that are level-headed and based in reality. However, far too many actually come from non-TLX owners who have possibly driven the car once and called it a day!

In contrast, I was a paid TLX customer! It's a disservice to existing and prospective customers to say that everything is sunshine and rainbows!
ESHBG (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 10:09 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
Wow, I need to get my post count up
I'm embarrassed I'm #4 on one thread

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I think the newest members are probably not on forums if they are younger and too busy to spend time on here if older.
I miss the days of the forum being the SPOT.
+1
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
ESHBG (11-02-2022), rockstar143 (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 12:32 PM
Pro

Opposite of an “Acura supporter” is an “Acura criticizer”.

I don't mind “Acura supporter” comments that are level-headed and based in reality. However, far too many actually come from non-TLX owners who have possibly driven the car once and called it a day!
That goes both ways. Some haven’t driven it and yet contribute with knowledge they read from a magazine.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:38 PM
Drifting

That goes both ways. Some haven’t driven it and yet contribute with knowledge they read from a magazine.
I'm more inclined to trust numbers from a magazine where the car was driven from a pro vs some of the diatribes coming from either the supporter or criticizer side.

The smart consumer will make an informed opinion based on multiple sources, whether it be from multiple magazine reviews or owners' threads on forums. This is exactly how I recently shopped and made my decision on the X3!
Old 11-02-2022, 12:44 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
I only trust my own feelings.
and even those are fickle and only factual in the moment.
Legend2TL (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 01:00 PM
Pro

I'm more inclined to trust numbers from a magazine where the car was driven from a pro vs some of the diatribes coming from either the supporter or criticizer side.

The smart consumer will make an informed opinion based on multiple sources, whether it be from multiple magazine reviews or owners' threads on forums. This is exactly how I recently shopped and made my decision on the X3!
I was pointing out the fact that the “Acura criticizers” are merely copy/pasting things one can read from a magazine instead of actually contributing such as real-world experience.

For example, the TLX has 1mpg less than an Accord based on numbers, but you said it wasn’t fuel efficient enough for you. That’s just once example of the value of first-hand experience versus reading a magazine.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:13 PM
Drifting

I was pointing out the fact that the “Acura criticizers” are merely copy/pasting things one can read from a magazine instead of actually contributing such as real-world experience.

For example, the TLX has 1mpg less than an Accord based on numbers, but you said it wasn’t fuel efficient enough for you. That’s just once example of the value of first-hand experience versus reading a magazine.
The example you gave may not be the best as you really don't need magazines for fuel econ numbers. I like to use Edmund's comparison tool and their numbers are empirical since they are pulled directly from the manufacturer sites.
Magazines ae only useful for 0-60 and braking distance numbers (among other things).

My mistake was thinking that I could somehow coax the TLX closer to 29 mpg. This should have been possible when my commute was mostly highway but that never happened. The penalty during urban driving overcomes any highway benefit.
Everyone's situation is different so I will always take reported fuel econ numbers with a grain of salt.
richii0207 (11-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Finally done with Acura!