Entry Level Sport Sedans!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 10:42 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
Entry Level Sport Sedans!

Let's be honest and give our opinion here about all these entry level sport sedans. Meaning: TLX TYPE S, S4, M340i, G70 (3.3) Stinger, IS350/500, Q50RS, C43 and a few other here and there, sorry if I am forgetting any (you can add).

Do people buy these cars for racing, (0-60/0-100), taking them to track and driving them like a race car? Full disclosure, I am not an enthusiast, I like cars and I am blessed to be surrounded by family and friends that have decent cars. Most of them at least have an entry level premium vehicle. But I have never seen anyone of them doing anything crazy beside going to work, grocery stores and a few annual family trips within 300-500 miles. Yes, before buying the car everyone talks about HP, 0-60 and handling but you never hear these again once the car is in the garage. What I have seen the most, is when these cars get older and prices drop. Young buyers, or you want to call them enthusiasts buy and mods them.

This thread is not just about TYPE S, I am just curious....you watch some of these reviews and they focus so much on things that really no one cares in daily life. Happy to hear everyone's opinion and respectfully discuss this topic.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
I got my current car, M340i because I do care about having some fun, yeah 80% of the time I'm driving normal as with most people even those with GT3's, however on weekends I meet up with friends and we drive backroads or occasionally go to Sonoma raceway and Drag or go to Laguna Seca and have a track day. Most people who buy the performance variants of cars do care about 0-60 or cornering etc. Otherwise stick with the 330i or the Regular TLX or C300 etc. I got my car about 6 months before the G80 came out and didn't want an F80 due to it being not my thing to Daily. Next car will be moving up to the M3, even with the ugly grille I don't care.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kense:
MarcoTLX (02-07-2023), Tony Pac (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 12:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Kense
I got my current car, M340i because I do care about having some fun, yeah 80% of the time I'm driving normal as with most people even those with GT3's, however on weekends I meet up with friends and we drive backroads or occasionally go to Sonoma raceway and Drag or go to Laguna Seca and have a track day. Most people who buy the performance variants of cars do care about 0-60 or cornering etc. Otherwise stick with the 330i or the Regular TLX or C300 etc. I got my car about 6 months before the G80 came out and didn't want an F80 due to it being not my thing to Daily. Next car will be moving up to the M3, even with the ugly grille I don't care.
That's amazing. 20% is still very good. Love to hear everyone's experience. It's interesting to see different car buyers behavior.

I am very curious as I test drove the TLX and really liked it for the daily driving and recently I went ahead and test drove the TYPE S. Sure, it's more powerful and feel better to push it. But that was test drive. 90%+ of my driving is going to work and I live in a metropolitan area, traffic is insane. Forget driving above 60KM/H or simply waze takes me via small service roads, where speed limit is 50KM/H. I asked myself, is it smart to spend $15K more for TYPE S and drive it like a daily commuter.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally I love honda and acuras so I am drawn towards the TLX TYPE S. I previously had a RSX TYPE S and loved it. I love how it looks and I like that it can be comfortable and sporty and has a good amount of tech. Personally not interested in german vehicles due to reliability stigma.. real or not just doesn't interest me. I personally think the 0-60 stuff is silly but depends on the person, test driving the tlx type s it is plenty quick and fast for a daily car. The new lexis IS350 visually looks really nice but the platform is so dated.. partly bad but also good since we know its reliable. Lexus IS350 f sport is similar to the price of a TLX type s and to me the type s feels more special. I would not buy any hyundai products.............I am considering buying the tlx type s but the interest rates have me kind of pausing for now.
The following 3 users liked this post by twitchy15:
KidK (02-09-2023), MarcoTLX (02-07-2023), Tony Pac (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 02:02 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
That's amazing. 20% is still very good. Love to hear everyone's experience. It's interesting to see different car buyers behavior.

I am very curious as I test drove the TLX and really liked it for the daily driving and recently I went ahead and test drove the TYPE S. Sure, it's more powerful and feel better to push it. But that was test drive. 90%+ of my driving is going to work and I live in a metropolitan area, traffic is insane. Forget driving above 60KM/H or simply waze takes me via small service roads, where speed limit is 50KM/H. I asked myself, is it smart to spend $15K more for TYPE S and drive it like a daily commuter.
As long as you pay MSRP for the S, it's worth it. The car is well tuned and a joy to drive, even if you are not pushing it to the limits. When it comee time to move on it will also have a much better resale if you go for the Aspec instead. Same goes for other options. Resale will be much better.

Honestly, anyone that chooses the sportier trims in this segment obviously cares about the extra power, otherwise, why spend extra.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmski:
MarcoTLX (02-07-2023), silverTL6 (02-24-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 02:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by twitchy15
Personally I love honda and acuras so I am drawn towards the TLX TYPE S. I previously had a RSX TYPE S and loved it. I love how it looks and I like that it can be comfortable and sporty and has a good amount of tech. Personally not interested in german vehicles due to reliability stigma.. real or not just doesn't interest me. I personally think the 0-60 stuff is silly but depends on the person, test driving the tlx type s it is plenty quick and fast for a daily car. The new lexis IS350 visually looks really nice but the platform is so dated.. partly bad but also good since we know its reliable. Lexus IS350 f sport is similar to the price of a TLX type s and to me the type s feels more special. I would not buy any hyundai products.............I am considering buying the tlx type s but the interest rates have me kind of pausing for now.
Very interesting points and my thought process is similar to yours.

If one day, I decide to lease car, I will definitely give Germans a chance and lease a 3 series or MB for 36 months. But for now, I buy my cars and keep them for 5+ years. Purchasing a German car is out of question for me. Genesis is progressing and making some good cars, but again, I refuse to pay $60-$70K (CAD) for it right now.

I have two options, Acura or Lexus. if the IS was a bit bigger and more up to date, I would probably give it a try and for a change. But tbh, I rather spend that money on a TLX. Now, I admit, the fit and finish of Lexus is better than Acura. It feels more premium with the exception of new MDX is better than the new RX.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:13 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dmski
As long as you pay MSRP for the S, it's worth it. The car is well tuned and a joy to drive, even if you are not pushing it to the limits. When it comee time to move on it will also have a much better resale if you go for the Aspec instead. Same goes for other options. Resale will be much better.

Honestly, anyone that chooses the sportier trims in this segment obviously cares about the extra power, otherwise, why spend extra.

I have to agree with the resale value. With the current decreasing sales in the sedan market and electrification. I have a feeling the TLX TYPE S might keep its value really good. It's not a mass produced car and it's priced reasonably.
MarcoTLX (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 03:49 PM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts
I chose the Type S with driving comfort as a priority, followed by driving dynamics. If I wanted speed, I would’ve just gotten a manual CT4V BW or a M3P and call it a day but drag racing is boring as hell IMO, especially on an AT.
But since 95% of my driving is my daily commute in rush hour, I’d rather enjoy the comfort of the TLX along with the amazing ELS audio and ventilated seats which is a must in FL.
If had enough of daily driving track cars that I’d rather have a dedicated fun commuter. A nice bonus is that I wouldn’t have to rush a project because of having to take the car to work the next day. I had to take off a few days to change an engine on a previous car.

If it wasn’t this car, it would’ve probably been the G70. This will be my last ICE daily car though.

Last edited by richii0207; 02-07-2023 at 03:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richii0207:
MarcoTLX (02-07-2023), Tony Pac (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Well I have had two V6 TLX's, one fwd the other AWD, an 07 type s (new and kept for 10 years) and got an S5 coupe a few years back. I hated my two TLX's, they felt (if not actually were) slower than my 07 type S (which I greatly regretted trading in afterwards). My intention was to eventually buy the type S when it came out (which was a freaking long wait) but one day the local Audi dealer had a fully loaded S5 on the lot with everything and more that I wanted. As soon as I pulled out of the lot and hit the gas I knew I was not leaving in my TLX. The comfort, ergonomics, styling, interior materials, power and braking really were to much to resist. I enjoy all aspects of the S5 pretty much every time I drive it. It was probably the fact that the TLX (non-type S) felt like the slowest 300hp car I have ever driven that S5 test drive was eye opening. The regular TLX did nothing exceptionally well and the second being an a-spec it looked way faster than it was. To me it was a grocery getter and a car I grew to not look forward to driving. The Audi is a little more to service but have 40k miles on it and have had no problems. Oh, and the gas mileage even driving it passionately is way better than what I got in the sh-awd tlx, that alone probably offsets the higher servicing costs at the Audi dealer. Had the TLX-S made it out a year or two earlier I probably never go on that test drive as I was as loyal an Acura buyer as there was. All worked out fine though.
The following 3 users liked this post by jhb31:
silverTL6 (02-24-2023), Tesla1856 (04-05-2023), Tony Pac (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 05:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by richii0207
I chose the Type S with driving comfort as a priority, followed by driving dynamics. If I wanted speed, I would’ve just gotten a manual CT4V BW or a M3P and call it a day but drag racing is boring as hell IMO, especially on an AT.
But since 95% of my driving is my daily commute in rush hour, I’d rather enjoy the comfort of the TLX along with the amazing ELS audio and ventilated seats which is a must in FL.
If had enough of daily driving track cars that I’d rather have a dedicated fun commuter. A nice bonus is that I wouldn’t have to rush a project because of having to take the car to work the next day. I had to take off a few days to change an engine on a previous car.

If it wasn’t this car, it would’ve probably been the G70. This will be my last ICE daily car though.
Amazing feedback! Comfort and ELS audio for you. It’s very refreshing to read these messages.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by jhb31
Well I have had two V6 TLX's, one fwd the other AWD, an 07 type s (new and kept for 10 years) and got an S5 coupe a few years back. I hated my two TLX's, they felt (if not actually were) slower than my 07 type S (which I greatly regretted trading in afterwards). My intention was to eventually buy the type S when it came out (which was a freaking long wait) but one day the local Audi dealer had a fully loaded S5 on the lot with everything and more that I wanted. As soon as I pulled out of the lot and hit the gas I knew I was not leaving in my TLX. The comfort, ergonomics, styling, interior materials, power and braking really were to much to resist. I enjoy all aspects of the S5 pretty much every time I drive it. It was probably the fact that the TLX (non-type S) felt like the slowest 300hp car I have ever driven that S5 test drive was eye opening. The regular TLX did nothing exceptionally well and the second being an a-spec it looked way faster than it was. To me it was a grocery getter and a car I grew to not look forward to driving. The Audi is a little more to service but have 40k miles on it and have had no problems. Oh, and the gas mileage even driving it passionately is way better than what I got in the sh-awd tlx, that alone probably offsets the higher servicing costs at the Audi dealer. Had the TLX-S made it out a year or two earlier I probably never go on that test drive as I was as loyal an Acura buyer as there was. All worked out fine though.
Interesting points and I am happy to hear that your car is problem free. If you have to change your S5, what would be your next car?
Old 02-07-2023, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting points and I am happy to hear that your car is problem free. If you have to change your S5, what would be your next car?
Well I have 3 more years on the extended warranty so will keep it at least 2 more years and maybe longer. I think Audi is discontinuing the coupe (or that's what I heard) and I really like coupe's as we have an SUV when we need the extra doors. If my car got stolen today I would without hesitation buy another S5 but maybe EV's evolve enough in a few years that they don't have to have the govt pay you back for buying one. Can't deny the performance of those things but I don't care too much about the price of gas so the charging time and frequency is a real negative to me at this point as well as their range loss in cold weather.

I do think that after the 2 TLX's and also 2 RDX's there was some feeling of boredom creeping in as they all were so similar that there was nothing new about them even though they were new cars and getting something that had a completely different ecosystem/layout was refreshing much less better performance and options.
silverTL6 (02-24-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Well I have 3 more years on the extended warranty so will keep it at least 2 more years and maybe longer. I think Audi is discontinuing the coupe (or that's what I heard) and I really like coupe's as we have an SUV when we need the extra doors. If my car got stolen today I would without hesitation buy another S5 but maybe EV's evolve enough in a few years that they don't have to have the govt pay you back for buying one. Can't deny the performance of those things but I don't care too much about the price of gas so the charging time and frequency is a real negative to me at this point as well as their range loss in cold weather.

I do think that after the 2 TLX's and also 2 RDX's there was some feeling of boredom creeping in as they all were so similar that there was nothing new about them even though they were new cars and getting something that had a completely different ecosystem/layout was refreshing much less better performance and options.
After having a 16 TLX 3.5 followed by a 19 TLX 3.5 along with having a 15, 17 and 20 MDX Tech, I felt that way as well. Luckily, the 21 TLX and 22 MDX were enough of a change to stem the tide of boredom in my case. Granted, my TLX A-Spec was a bit weak on the performance side out the gate.....until I tuned it.

That said and going back to the original post, I still believe that the M340i is the clear benchmark in the segment with class leading 'performance' AND fuel economy. I just wish it wasnt so boring to look at.

I will say this: that Cadillac CT4 BW is really starting to grow on me. Just not sure it grows on me enough to look past the M340i at the $60-65k pp.
Tony Pac (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 06:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F23A4
After having a 16 TLX 3.5 followed by a 19 TLX 3.5 along with having a 15, 17 and 20 MDX Tech, I felt that way as well. Luckily, the 21 TLX and 22 MDX were enough of a change to stem the tide of boredom in my case. Granted, my TLX A-Spec was a bit weak on the performance side out the gate.....until I tuned it.

That said and going back to the original post, I still believe that the M340i is the clear benchmark in the segment with class leading 'performance' AND fuel economy. I just wish it wasnt so boring to look at.

I will say this: that Cadillac CT4 BW is really starting to grow on me. Just not sure it grows on me enough to look past the M340i at the $60-65k pp.
So I call the M340i, King of the Jungle! It’s indeed the best if you’re a true performance oriented driver. It’s fast like a rocket and handles well. But compared to Type S, I felt the that the type S handled corners better.

You’re the second person telling me about the CT4 BW. The issue is the cost. My friend and I priced it at Montreal Auto Show. It comes to CAD$85-90K. That’s some serious money and no leasing only purchase.
MarcoTLX (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 07:06 PM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

I’d consider the CT4V BW the benchmark in the segment considering its top-tier overall performance including the fact that it is available in manual. That’s one well-engineered performance machine that’s a real head-turner at the same time the leader of the segment in terms of performance.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
So I call the M340i, King of the Jungle! It’s indeed the best if you’re a true performance oriented driver. It’s fast like a rocket and handles well. But compared to Type S, I felt the that the type S handled corners better.

You’re the second person telling me about the CT4 BW. The issue is the cost. My friend and I priced it at Montreal Auto Show. It comes to CAD$85-90K. That’s some serious money and no leasing only purchase.
when i was shopping, the pricing differences in Canada were really alarming. The Type S at that time was $59,500 and it was a minimum $15,000 more for a comparible M340i, S5 or C43. The S4 was closer but still considerably more and the only cars that were really financially lined up with the type S were the G70 and CT4-v non blackwing, and although the back seat on the acura is smaller then it should be, with having to shuttle kids daily, the backseat on those 2 made them a non-option.

Since then, the type-S is now $4-5,000 more and the other cars have increased but not as much closing the gap a little bit but still substantially more for most of the comparibles (gensis is around 61 still making it a great price).

a base (does not exist) m340i starts at $71.240+ $900-4500 to apply paint to it, $1,900 for leather seats $1500 for brake package, $2,000 for the safety suite, $1,000 for active suspension all of which come standard on the acura and your at $79,xxx. That doesnt include the $1,500 for the track package and $4,900 necessary package if you want to upgrade to the harmen kardon sound system over the trash stock stereo, neither of which are close to as good as the acuras. I just dont see how a car that is $15-20,000 more is a legit comparible to the type S. After you apply paint and leather to a standard 330i with fairly basic options is actually just slightly more then the type-S (64 vs 66). Seems like that is the vehicle that financially lines up more the the 340i to me. The type S is a great buy.
Tony Pac (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 09:14 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by sombasol
when i was shopping, the pricing differences in Canada were really alarming. The Type S at that time was $59,500 and it was a minimum $15,000 more for a comparible M340i, S5 or C43. The S4 was closer but still considerably more and the only cars that were really financially lined up with the type S were the G70 and CT4-v non blackwing, and although the back seat on the acura is smaller then it should be, with having to shuttle kids daily, the backseat on those 2 made them a non-option.

Since then, the type-S is now $4-5,000 more and the other cars have increased but not as much closing the gap a little bit but still substantially more for most of the comparibles (gensis is around 61 still making it a great price).

a base (does not exist) m340i starts at $71.240+ $900-4500 to apply paint to it, $1,900 for leather seats $1500 for brake package, $2,000 for the safety suite, $1,000 for active suspension all of which come standard on the acura and your at $79,xxx. That doesnt include the $1,500 for the track package and $4,900 necessary package if you want to upgrade to the harmen kardon sound system over the trash stock stereo, neither of which are close to as good as the acuras. I just dont see how a car that is $15-20,000 more is a legit comparible to the type S. After you apply paint and leather to a standard 330i with fairly basic options is actually just slightly more then the type-S (64 vs 66). Seems like that is the vehicle that financially lines up more the the 340i to me. The type S is a great buy.

Amazing summary! In Canada, at this moment, the cheapest car is G70 in this segment by $2K if I am not mistaken. Right now, I checked a 2020 M340i is selling for $51,900 CAD. When it comes to value I think Genesis and TYPE S are the best. There is Q50RS but that one is outdated. it's also in the same price range. But let me tell you one thing, you can buy right now a G70 with 4,000KM for $54K CAD but a TYPE S will cost you $58K with 11,000KM or another one for $58K with 25,000KM. Clearly, the TYPE S will maintain its value in the long term.

Of course, everyone has their own preferences, but G70 and TYPE S seem to be the market leader when it comes to value.
bilirubin (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts

Yeah it sounds like it's not something you necessarily need or want right now. Thing for me is I've been corrupted by more power and have a hard time going backwards. My first "Quick" car i could afford was a 2004 Acura TL back in 2003. Then I went for a Infiniti G35, then an Infiniti Red Sport, now M340i. When I drive my wifes car I'm so bored I can't wait to just drop it back off at home. It's weird how you do start getting used to the power and start wanting more. So far with the Bimmer every time I put it in sport plus and floor it I'm pretty amazed that I haven't gotten tired of the power yet. After being in a couple G80 M3's the low end power doesn't punch you as hard as the M340 but once you start getting over 4K RPM's you really feel the pull and difference in power but for everyday driving the M3 won't feel that Much Different, it's when you get up in the RPM's or take it on the track or around the corners. But I still want it though lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kense:
silverTL6 (02-24-2023), Tony Pac (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 06:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Kense
Yeah it sounds like it's not something you necessarily need or want right now. Thing for me is I've been corrupted by more power and have a hard time going backwards. My first "Quick" car i could afford was a 2004 Acura TL back in 2003. Then I went for a Infiniti G35, then an Infiniti Red Sport, now M340i. When I drive my wifes car I'm so bored I can't wait to just drop it back off at home. It's weird how you do start getting used to the power and start wanting more. So far with the Bimmer every time I put it in sport plus and floor it I'm pretty amazed that I haven't gotten tired of the power yet. After being in a couple G80 M3's the low end power doesn't punch you as hard as the M340 but once you start getting over 4K RPM's you really feel the pull and difference in power but for everyday driving the M3 won't feel that Much Different, it's when you get up in the RPM's or take it on the track or around the corners. But I still want it though lol.

I totally understand what you mean. I guess until you don't try it, you don't know it. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:59 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I've been shopping for a Lexus IS500, IMHO they are the best looking and most reliable of the bunch. The slightly outdated interior doesn't really bother me as it's still a nice looking interior. May wait until the 2024 model to see if there are any interior improvements. I have been a loyal Honda/Acura buyer for over 20 years, looked and drove the TL-S Types and it just didn't do it for me in the terms of performance or looks (the long hood look was a turn off along with the push button shifter.).. I still have a 2008 TL-S and was hoping the new TLS would do it for me, but no. Even if I get the IS500, I would be keeping the 2008 TL-S as the main daily driver. M340i may have the performance but it's exterior is very boring. GM wouldn't touch that. Audi like the looks but don't trust the reliability. I guess it's a good thing there are still a few good choices to choose from. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time so reliability is key for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by dj5:
silverTL6 (02-14-2023), Tony Pac (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 01:46 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dj5
I've been shopping for a Lexus IS500, IMHO they are the best looking and most reliable of the bunch. The slightly outdated interior doesn't really bother me as it's still a nice looking interior. May wait until the 2024 model to see if there are any interior improvements. I have been a loyal Honda/Acura buyer for over 20 years, looked and drove the TL-S Types and it just didn't do it for me in the terms of performance or looks (the long hood look was a turn off along with the push button shifter.).. I still have a 2008 TL-S and was hoping the new TLS would do it for me, but no. Even if I get the IS500, I would be keeping the 2008 TL-S as the main daily driver. M340i may have the performance but it's exterior is very boring. GM wouldn't touch that. Audi like the looks but don't trust the reliability. I guess it's a good thing there are still a few good choices to choose from. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time so reliability is key for me.

This is a good input. So, beside Lexus IS500 reliability, were you impressed by the performance of the car?

I totally understand the new TLX might not be for you. Let's say if you don't get Lexus, what would be your second choice? Wanted to hear and would be great for members to compare and learn as well.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:22 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
This is a good input. So, beside Lexus IS500 reliability, were you impressed by the performance of the car?

I totally understand the new TLX might not be for you. Let's say if you don't get Lexus, what would be your second choice? Wanted to hear and would be great for members to compare and learn as well.
Second choice on a sedan would be Audi S5 like the practicality but worry some about the reliability over the long term. One the new TL-S, after waiting 14 years, I guess I was hoping for something more.

If we decided to upgrade our MDX, probably would go with the MDX Type S as a first choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by dj5:
silverTL6 (02-14-2023), Tony Pac (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 09:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 517 Likes on 293 Posts
Personally, I think all cars in the segment are plenty fast. What would sway me more than the 0-60 or quarter mile is how the car feels, is it fun to drive, does the engine sound good, are the seats comfortable and hold you well? In other words, does the car have a personality. I do have a toy car, so I don’t need the daily driver to be the ultimate adrenaline rush. My wife drives the 2008 TL-S to work now, but I do take it out for errands and I really enjoy driving it. I love the seating position, I love rowing the gears and I enjoy getting on it every once in a while. I also really like how it looks inside and out.

I chose the typeS over the base model because I preferred the firmer suspension, the red interior lighting (blue on base) and I could get a manual. I also liked the 2 tone interior and the wheels. Extra power was nice but not a must have. I cross-shopped a 335i back then, a good bit faster, but not as pretty of a car to me, but the reality is I couldn’t afford it…
I have been a car guy all my life, I enjoyed karting and Motorsport events, so I felt it was a personality trait that I had to get the sport version of the thing I was getting. Same with the bmw, 328i was never considered, if I couldn’t get the 335, then I just couldn’t afford a bmw, better luck next time.
Also, I find that the sporty version of cars often have a personality. Base cars are unit shifters, designed to sell to people that need transport, but there are enthusiast engineers at manufacturers and they can pour some love into the “special” version of some cars.
Anyways, all that peacock and feathers and I end up having an odyssey as a daily driver…

Honestly, I think most car buying just comes down to ego. When you stop at a light or pull into a parking lot and look at other cars around, are you as special as you think you are.
The following 3 users liked this post by PhilB81:
JM2010 SH-AWD (02-10-2023), MarcoTLX (02-10-2023), silverTL6 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
My co-worker just got a new Lexus IS500. She and her husband were put on a waiting list sometime in the summer of '22. It finally arrived about 4 weeks ago and the very day they got it, they noticed something wrong with the transmission. Took it back to the dealership the very next day with 9 miles on it. Long story short, the dealer ended up replacing the transmission. That made them have to wait another 3 weeks. So, she just started driving it about a week ago. She had a '21 IS350 that she traded in to get the new IS500. Visually, I preferred her 350 to her 500. The 500 is a dark gray color with black wheels. That's not a good combination to me but obviously they like it. It's very smooth and very quick but doesn't have much presence in my personal opinion. It's a very nice car though.
The following 4 users liked this post by a35tl:
F23A4 (02-12-2023), MarcoTLX (02-10-2023), PhilB81 (02-10-2023), Tony Pac (02-10-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 04:00 AM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Let's be honest and give our opinion here about all these entry level sport sedans. Meaning: TLX TYPE S, S4, M340i, G70 (3.3) Stinger, IS350/500, Q50RS, C43 and a few other here and there, sorry if I am forgetting any (you can add).

Do people buy these cars for racing, (0-60/0-100), taking them to track and driving them like a race car? Full disclosure, I am not an enthusiast, I like cars and I am blessed to be surrounded by family and friends that have decent cars. Most of them at least have an entry level premium vehicle. But I have never seen anyone of them doing anything crazy beside going to work, grocery stores and a few annual family trips within 300-500 miles. Yes, before buying the car everyone talks about HP, 0-60 and handling but you never hear these again once the car is in the garage. What I have seen the most, is when these cars get older and prices drop. Young buyers, or you want to call them enthusiasts buy and mods them.

This thread is not just about TYPE S, I am just curious....you watch some of these reviews and they focus so much on things that really no one cares in daily life. Happy to hear everyone's opinion and respectfully discuss this topic.
I've had my '22 Stinger GT2 since May of '21. Previous car was a 2007 TL Type-S that I owned for 12 1/2 trouble free years.

The TLX Type-S was on my list when I was vehicle shopping and had Kia not refreshed the Stinger for '22 I may have went with the Type-S. The minor refresh, coupled with the features of the GT2 trim, pushed me to the Stinger. I sacrificed nothing options-wise with my Stinger like I would have had I picked the Type-S; it has everything plus the practicality of the hatch design with a fold flat second row. The warranty is solid, too. One thing that always surprises me is the amount of attention my Stinger gets. My Type-S was KBP, a loud color, and it rarely got compliments. I had more people ask about and compliment the Stinger the first few months I owned it than my old Type-S in 12 1/2 years.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
I've had my '22 Stinger GT2 since May of '21. Previous car was a 2007 TL Type-S that I owned for 12 1/2 trouble free years.

The TLX Type-S was on my list when I was vehicle shopping and had Kia not refreshed the Stinger for '22 I may have went with the Type-S. The minor refresh, coupled with the features of the GT2 trim, pushed me to the Stinger. I sacrificed nothing options-wise with my Stinger like I would have had I picked the Type-S; it has everything plus the practicality of the hatch design with a fold flat second row. The warranty is solid, too. One thing that always surprises me is the amount of attention my Stinger gets. My Type-S was KBP, a loud color, and it rarely got compliments. I had more people ask about and compliment the Stinger the first few months I owned it than my old Type-S in 12 1/2 years.
TBH, the 07-08 TL Type S doesn’t look markedly different than any other version of the 3G TL, particularly when the generation originated three model years prior to reintroduction of the Type S trim. I think the original A-Spec has a bit more presence if anything.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
I think we are incredibly spoiled to have so many options and they all have unique personalities.

The TLX-S feels like the adult Honda sports sedan everyone who buys a 2.0T or back in the day 3.5L-V6 kinda viewed the Accord as but more premium and with handling to match.

The S4, G70, C43, sort of Q50RS feel like the classier option for a sports sedan that nobody would suspect is fast. Sleepers almost, only someone who knows Audi would know what the S4 is and everyone else wouldn't look at it twice.

The M340i, Stinger GT (rip), IS350, TLX-S are all more aggressively styled like they want the world to know they are something special without being completely over the top, they have more road presence IMO.

We have so many flavors of entry level sports sedans that perform remarkably similarly for different personalities and car preferences. Honestly I think we're kinda spoiled in the 40-75k price bracket for options considering how low volume they all are. Kind of a shame in the age of internet reviewers, forums, reddit, etc we boil these cars down to spec sheets and drag races because I think it costs a few great cars sales that people otherwise loved because 'Oh I HAVE to get the one half a second quicker to 60" or they get caught up in the enthusiast banter like "I can't imagine why ANYONE would buy this or that over this other thing" based on relatively small performance differences when at the end of the day almost nobody is tracking these things or hitting up drag strips on the weekend. I mean how many sales did Audi get and Acura lose when the S4 took the TLX-S for a walk in Sam's video? I was almost one of them but cars are so much more than what they can do in a straight line, if that's all we care about why aren't we all in Tesla's?

I've always been the type to buy the most fun version of whatever car I like, I looked up performance numbers but never bought based on them. I really liked the 9th gen Accord so I got the most fun version of it which was the V6 Coupe, back in the day I was into Pontiac for a while and wanted the GT with a 3.1, the GTP with the 3.8SC, drooled at the G8 GXP LS3 that I couldn't afford at the time and now I'm getting a TLX but ultimately picked the Type S for similar reasons and I think for a lot of buyers their mindset is probably similar. I think electric cars are going to result in a lot of personality loss and the whole market is going to be so much more bland and samey, go out and get yourself something you love that comes with some fun and a nice growl before it's gone whether you're going to the strip or just want some more fun in your day to day drives.
The following 4 users liked this post by DubPK:
MarcoTLX (02-13-2023), PhilB81 (02-26-2023), sonyfever (02-25-2023), TLXinTX (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 02:21 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
TBH, the 07-08 TL Type S doesn’t look markedly different than any other version of the 3G TL, particularly when the generation originated three model years prior to reintroduction of the Type S trim. I think the original A-Spec has a bit more presence if anything.
I agree completely. While I really enjoyed my '07 TL Type-S 6MT, I never thought of it as particularly attractive, albeit nice looking. Of course my viewpoint was somewhat influenced by the fact that it was a four door sedan that replaced the last of a line a two-door sports cars. Family life caught up with me.
The car before the '07 TL-S was a Grenadier Red Jaguar XJ-S V-12 Hess & Eisenhardt convertible that was a super model compared to the TL's girl next door. When I bought that Jag I worked in an office building that had a well known restaurant and bar on the first floor that was a popular meat market with the Yuppies. Young singles flocked there for Happy Hour. To get to the elevator up to the bar people coming from public parking walked past the spot where I parked the Jag. It collected quite a few business cards that women left on the windshield along with their phone numbers. I used to show them to my wife, who thought it was funny. Personally, I always figured my health insurance probably wouldn't cover the risk of playing around with any woman who would leave her number on a stranger's car. But hey, that was the '80s. Point is, that car was just plain beautiful and would usually gather a few lookers anywhere it was parked.
My previous Jag was an E-Type OTS, famously called the Best Crumpet Collector Known to Man by a Road & Track editor and pretty enough they put one in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:19 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Why buy these cars? For me I like that the power is on tap if I want it. Like you the majority of my driving is from point A to point B but when the situation arises like at a stop light that has a merge soon after or being stuck behind slower traffic on the interstate it sure is nice to be able to out accelerate the majority of vehicles when necessary. When I was actively trying to get out of my 2018 TLX SHAWD lease due to an annoying vibration at 70-80 MPH all I knew was that I wanted a twin turbo V6 for my next car. Ultimately I choose the G70 Sport AWD for its value and the accolades it was getting. My 3 year lease ended last October without ever having to see the dealer and i ended up buying it out as it was a horrible time to buy a new car for one but at the same time nothing else out there that is calling me.

Old 02-25-2023, 01:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Terdbath
Why buy these cars? For me I like that the power is on tap if I want it. Like you the majority of my driving is from point A to point B but when the situation arises like at a stop light that has a merge soon after or being stuck behind slower traffic on the interstate it sure is nice to be able to out accelerate the majority of vehicles when necessary. When I was actively trying to get out of my 2018 TLX SHAWD lease due to an annoying vibration at 70-80 MPH all I knew was that I wanted a twin turbo V6 for my next car. Ultimately I choose the G70 Sport AWD for its value and the accolades it was getting. My 3 year lease ended last October without ever having to see the dealer and i ended up buying it out as it was a horrible time to buy a new car for one but at the same time nothing else out there that is calling me.

Genesis is the best value for the money. How are the dynamics? Have you tested Type S to compare directly against it?
Old 02-27-2023, 01:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Terdbath
Genesis G70 drives very good and it's fast. Honestly, the interior is a bit of Hyundai, which I wasn't too impressed but the car is solid. The few differences that I pointed out from G70 compared to TYPE S:

G70 is faster and lighter.
G70's interior is not wide and airy. Feels small.

TYPE S handles better but slower.
The fit and finish and space (front seats/dash) look better and wider.

In Canada, G70 is the cheapest car in the segmennt....even cheaper than Q50 RS. So yes, in terms of value it's great but I can tell you that a 2 year G70 is also much cheaper than a 2 year TYPE S. Meaning it depreciates faster.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
bilirubin (02-27-2023), MarcoTLX (02-27-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Mine isn’t a garage queen, and during the week I drive it for work. For my own personal use (DD, 20K miles or more a year, 3 full months of snow and ice, and not a “keep it forever” kind of guy so resale matters at 80K miles or so) the Type S hit all the marks. I’ve had a LS460AWD and MB E350 along with my previous Acura vehicles over the years. For me, at this point in my life, the Type S was an easy decision as it checked all the boxes.
MarcoTLX (02-28-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 08:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
While this will give Bear an aneurysm as he vehemently denies that BMW steering feel is but a shell of its former self, this is absolutely true: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...steering-feel/

It's been a while since I drove the regular TLX, but the Type S steering feel is far and away superior to everything in the class.
bilirubin (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 517 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
While this will give Bear an aneurysm as he vehemently denies that BMW steering feel is but a shell of its former self, this is absolutely true: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...steering-feel/

It's been a while since I drove the regular TLX, but the Type S steering feel is far and away superior to everything in the class.
I have not driven it, but in Throttle House’s review of the new 7 series, they said the steering gets lighter off center. That’s pretty odd, to me that would feel like I just lost grip on the front…
Old 03-09-2023, 01:10 PM
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 126 Posts
A neighbor of mine (who I would like to get to know and talk cars with) recently traded his 2021 IS 350 F Sport for a gorgeous red IS 500. Not entry level unless one goes for a base IS 300 but exterior-wise the current IS is an absolute stunner.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flapjackura:
dj5 (03-09-2023), Tony Pac (03-09-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Just deleted the front plate. Outside of my 07 type S I would by the same car again. I loved my type S, 10 plus years I had it. 2 new TLX's after that and my regret is not going straight to the S5, it's another level.

Not any disrespect for Acura but out side of the value proposition it's not close in any respect for speed, braking and comfort.

Last edited by jhb31; 03-20-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Tony Pac (03-21-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 05:46 PM
Safety Car

Just deleted the front plate. Outside of my 07 type S I would by the same car again. I loved my type S, 10 plus years I had it. 2 new TLX's after that and my regret is not going straight to the S5, it's another level.

Not any disrespect for Acura but out side of the value proposition it's not close in any respect for speed, braking and comfort.
You forgot handling and steering feel; the Type S takes the cake in that department. I've gotten a fair bit of seat time in the M340i, S5 SB, and TLX Type S on winding roads and for enjoyment in the twisties I would take the Type S over the M340i over the S5. Haven't had a chance to sample the W206 C43 yet but I doubt it's class leading in that department.
MarcoTLX (03-20-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 08:21 PM
Pro

You forgot handling and steering feel; the Type S takes the cake in that department. I've gotten a fair bit of seat time in the M340i, S5 SB, and TLX Type S on winding roads and for enjoyment in the twisties I would take the Type S over the M340i over the S5. Haven't had a chance to sample the W206 C43 yet but I doubt it's class leading in that department.
Someone hack your account? I guess it takes more time behind the wheel to appreciate the dynamics. Just need that tune to get to 400 hp+.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I had the sh-awd in the first gen tlx (so not the type S) and the S5 with sport differential and natural rear bias (I think naturally 70% rear in the quatro) along with the lighter weight tears it up in a crazy way. I couldn't do the same with the sh-awd, I could feel the heft of the TLX in the twistys. I have the coupe so can't say much for the SB. I have a ton of seat time and full tilt a lot of the time.

Will add the conti extreme contacts are a way better tire than what my TLX had.

Last edited by jhb31; 03-20-2023 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dmski
Someone hack your account? I guess it takes more time behind the wheel to appreciate the dynamics. Just need that tune to get to 400 hp+.
I know I've been branded a "hater" by those who think Acura can do no wrong and is run by Jesus incarnate, but I've always given credit where credit is due, while at the same time calling out the cars/company for its deficiencies (poor J30AC performace, oversold marketing, form over function design, etc.). See:

https://acurazine.com/forums/6g-tlx-.../#post16732722
https://acurazine.com/forums/6g-tlx-.../#post16872460
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-mdx-.../#post16803908
https://acurazine.com/forums/integra.../#post16828986

Last edited by fiatlux; 03-20-2023 at 11:15 PM.
MarcoTLX (03-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Entry Level Sport Sedans!