Body panel misalignment anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 03:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Body panel misalignment anyone?

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't notice the brutal bumper/fender/hood misalignment on my 2021 TLX Tech the day I took delivery. I noticed it after a few days of ownership and sent photos to the dealership asking if they could take care of this later. Recently another one surfaced on Facebook with exactly the same issue as mine. The right side body panel alignment person must have been on a smoke break when our cars came down the line.
On Facebook someone chimed in "They really need to let me run their final inspection teams as this is ridiculous! I can only imagine seeing something like this in the Lexus ES plant where I work. They would shut assembly down RIGHT NOW!!"

The original poster said - "They told me the Acura rep came out and said it was normal. I am going to contact Acura corporate. They also had my car a week just to tell me that they would do nothing.

The other fellow's car.

My car.

My car, other side.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Oh the bright side, that’s not anywhere near as bad as the misaligned tailgate on my RDX. But still, it’s really inexcusable.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:56 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Oh the bright side, that’s not anywhere near as bad as the misaligned tailgate on my RDX. But still, it’s really inexcusable.
Acura is aspiring to be the next Ford.
or maybe they have higher goals and have Tesla body gaps in mind.

to me; the fender looks like an easy fix...if you want to try to align it...the fender is held in by three or four bolts under the hood. dont completely remove the bolts but just loosen them and then you can move the fender in. then re-tighten the bolts down.

Last edited by justnspace; 08-31-2021 at 05:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-01-2021), SebringSilver (08-31-2021), TLin05 (07-08-2024)
Old 08-31-2021, 06:19 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Tell me about it. I didn’t notice my RDX tailgate was misaligned until three days after I bought the vehicle. I usually check the panel alignment before purchasing, but the day I bought the car it was like 100 degrees out and I got distracted. All my body shop could do was close the gap some yet it was still noticeable. Mines was a 2019. I was on an Acura dealership lot last week and while it appears they’ve reduced the tailgate gap in general in no way are they’re laying flush as you’d expect.
The following users liked this post:
SebringSilver (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
With the amount of rattles I had to tackle on my 2020 RDX, I concluded the build qualities on these Acura are dogshit (hence my avatar). Precisely why I'll never pay for another one anywhere close to sticker. But, I'm just your local hater, so don't mind me ...
The following 3 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
loki (09-01-2021), pyrodan007 (09-01-2021), SebringSilver (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
Acura is aspiring to be the next Ford.
or maybe they have higher goals and have Tesla body gaps in mind.

to me; the fender looks like an easy fix...if you want to try to align it...the fender is held in by three or four bolts under the hood. dont completely remove the bolts but just loosen them and then you can move the fender in. then re-tighten the bolts down.
Originally Posted by Honda430
Tell me about it. I didn’t notice my RDX tailgate was misaligned until three days after I bought the vehicle. I usually check the panel alignment before purchasing, but the day I bought the car it was like 100 degrees out and I got distracted. All my body shop could do was close the gap some yet it was still noticeable. Mines was a 2019. I was on an Acura dealership lot last week and while it appears they’ve reduced the tailgate gap in general in no way are they’re laying flush as you’d expect.
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
With the amount of rattles I had to tackle on my 2020 RDX, I concluded the build qualities on these Acura are dogshit (hence my avatar). Precisely why I'll never pay for another one anywhere close to sticker. But, I'm just your local hater, so don't mind me ...
Oh my goodness, I thought I was the only one who had that experience! And the craziest thing is the dealer sent my car to some body shop I’d never even heard of to get the tailgate re-aligned, on a car with barely 60 km on it and only a couple of days after it was driven off their lot. Maybe that’s how this type of work is always done (never experienced it on any other car or even any other Acura) but it sure felt strange to me.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:09 AM

likely because "auto technicians" are not body guys.
Most dealerships wont have a collision center housed within the dealership, thus the outsourcing.

I have came across a Ford dealership that had a collision center on premise. but it's rare
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
04WDPSeDaN (09-01-2021), SebringSilver (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Most dealerships wont have a collision center housed within the dealership, thus the outsourcing.

I have came across a Ford dealership that had a collision center on premise. but it's rare
Okay that makes sense. But I do feel sorry for anyone who’s had to go through the same thing on a brand new car.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:18 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Acura community used to be above others. We were somewhat aristocrat in that sense, open to dialogue with respect and appreciation of other's opinion. Now, Acura community has become same or worse than others. If you dare to say something constructive or God forbit, critique towards Acura product, you are immediately labeled as a hater. It's a sad state of affairs.
leomio2.0 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 09:45 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Imagine that with those NXS owners. =)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts

One of my co-workers gave my TLX a little nudge on the front bumper in our parking lot and the local Acura dealer told me that they don't do any kind of body work.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SRB-TL
Acura community used to be above others. We were somewhat aristocrat in that sense, open to dialogue with respect and appreciation of other's opinion. Now, Acura community has become same or worse than others. If you dare to say something constructive or God forbit, critique towards Acura product, you are immediately labeled as a hater. It's a sad state of affairs.
For the record, I don't mind when someone says that they want Acura to be better. I do take issue with a bunch of knobbers that drive G70's hanging out on an Acura board to talk smack about how great their glorified Hyundai is. I still don't get that. "But....but...but.....I used to drive an Acura!" I don't go hang out at an ex-girlfriend's house just because we used to have sex.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by flatlandtlx
For the record, I don't mind when someone says that they want Acura to be better. I do take issue with a bunch of knobbers that drive G70's hanging out on an Acura board to talk smack about how great their glorified Hyundai is. I still don't get that. "But....but...but.....I used to drive an Acura!" I don't go hang out at an ex-girlfriend's house just because we used to have sex.
but that's not what is happening...

I still own an Acura. Most people still own Honda's or Acura's in their household or have family members that have Acura's.
we've also have become friends over the years. Once you move on from the brand, doesn't mean you have to move on from the forum, the community.
there is no rule stating that.

there is no rule stating that JEEP guys cant come hang out here. There is no rule stating that Acura guys and gals cant hang out on a JEEP forum.

Brand loyalty doesnt mean shit.
it's totally different than human loyalty.
Because Brands dont care about you. Humans care. Brands dont care.

Last edited by justnspace; 09-01-2021 at 01:19 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by justnspace:
04WDPSeDaN (09-01-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (09-01-2021), ELIN (09-01-2021), Kense (09-07-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:19 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts

I still own an Acura. Most people still own Honda's or Acura's in their household or have family members that have Acura's.
we've also have become friends over the years. Once you move on from the brand, doesn't mean you have to move on from the forum....
In the end I don't know why anyone would care what kind of car someone drives as long as you can more or less stay on topic for the thread. It would be great if we could have discussions like we were all sitting in someones basement just shooting the crap.
The following 5 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
04WDPSeDaN (09-01-2021), a35tl (09-01-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (09-01-2021), justnspace (09-01-2021), pyrodan007 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

we've also have become friends over the years. Once you move on from the brand, doesn't mean you have to move on from the forum, the community.

there is no rule stating that JEEP guys cant come hang out here. There is no rule stating that Acura guys and gals cant hang out on a JEEP forum.

Brand loyalty doesnt mean shit.
it's totally different than human loyalty.
Because Brands dont care about you. Humans care. Brands dont care.
Feel free to head over to a Jeep forum and start posting about how great the BMW X5 is compared to a Jeep and see how that goes.

There is no rule saying that you can't be a fan of another brand, but I've seen too many threads on this forum get bogged down by non-Acura drivers talking about how great their cars are compared to the TLX. Again, if I wanted to learn about glorified Hyundai's, I'd visit that board. I do agree that this place doesn't need to be a close minded circle jerk that ignores the flaws that Acura's do possess.
The following 2 users liked this post by flatlandtlx:
Jim2301 (09-01-2021), Nexx (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 02:19 PM

^you're way off base again.

no one would compare the X5 to a Jeep.
there are comparisons on off-road forums comparing Lexus/Toyota's to Jeeps. there are comparisons between the Jeep and the Bronco.
there are plenty of off-road forums comparing these off-road vehicles. I know because I am in the market for a GX460/4runner/Jeep/Bronco

similarly; one can compare the Genesis brand to the Acura brand because it's in the same playing field.

again, what you drive or own doesn't make up your character or who you are as a person.

I take that back... you can compare the X7 to the new Jeep Grand Cherokee L.
similarly; you can compare the X5 to the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Last edited by justnspace; 09-01-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
i have similar gap in my MDX. i did notice it during the delivery but not sure if I want them to touch and fix things. It may leas to more issues tbh.
justnspace (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 02:34 PM

Tony Pac to the rescue!! lets keep it on topic, gentlemen!

let's mind those gaps!
Old 09-01-2021, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
I love how one person posts a issue with a body panel gap and usual suspects come out of the wood work to pile on. Go google any manufacturer with "body panel gap". I just did with Mercedes and guess what? Tons of threads pertaining to this issue with even Mercedes. I guess they are going down the tube too. You guys amaze me.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nexx
I love how one person posts a issue with a body panel gap and usual suspects come out of the wood work to pile on. Go google any manufacturer with "body panel gap". I just did with Mercedes and guess what? Tons of threads pertaining to this issue with even Mercedes. I guess they are going down the tube too. You guys amaze me.
no one even said that.

all the current acura owners were agreeing that they had gaps.
I chimed in with a tongue and cheek response. and gave tips on how to resolve the issue.

overly dramatic, nexx. lol
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-01-2021), leomio2.0 (09-01-2021), mike03a3 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SRB-TL
Can you show an example of what you're talking about in relationship to this thread of mine?
Old 09-01-2021, 04:02 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Nowadays all major auto manufacturers are using robots in assembling mass production automobiles. Robots are known for precision and repeatability.

Unless the front fenders are assembled by human hands, otherwise if there is one car that has misaligned body panels, it is likely that the entire batch of productions will have the exact problem.
justnspace (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Good thing those knobbers you’re talking about only drive G70s, and not GV70s. Was worried I had become a knobber. (What’s a knobber anyway?)
The following 3 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-01-2021), justnspace (09-01-2021), Kense (09-07-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Nowadays all major auto manufacturers are using robots in assembling mass production automobiles. Robots are known for precision and repeatability.
Unless the front fenders are assembled by human hands, otherwise if there is one car that has misaligned body panels, it is likely that the entire batch of productions will have the exact problem.
Whatever or whoever did this or allowed it to pass inspection need to be removed from the production line. It's absolutely inexcusable on ANY car at any price. And Acura is supposed to be in the luxo group of cars?
04WDPSeDaN (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zozzle
Whatever or whoever did this or allowed it to pass inspection need to be removed from the production line. It's absolutely inexcusable on ANY car at any price. And Acura is supposed to be in the luxo group of cars?
No car is absolutely perfect. But it’s when these glaring mistakes are overlooked, it makes you think, “gee, I wonder what else they missed.”
Old 09-01-2021, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

No car is absolutely perfect. But it’s when these glaring mistakes are overlooked, it makes you think, “gee, I wonder what else they missed.”
Or what else is within acceptable tolerance? 60% tolerance on main bearing cap torque?
Old 09-02-2021, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

Wish me luck. The dealership has booked my car in at a bodyshop to get the panels aligned next Thursday. I'll report back with photos when it's all done.
justnspace (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zozzle
Or what else is within acceptable tolerance? 60% tolerance on main bearing cap torque?
Oh dear.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
I have to confess, that one made me ....didnt see that one coming.

back to the topic at hand, I just visually surveyed the gaps in my A-Spec and all seem to be reasonable for any make as far as I'm concerned. But the OP's gap is one of those things which may grate on me over time.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:07 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
I have to confess, that one made me ....didnt see that one coming.

back to the topic at hand, I just visually surveyed the gaps in my A-Spec and all seem to be reasonable for any make as far as I'm concerned. But the OP's gap is one of those things which may grate on me over time.
Haha - I went out to the garage to look at mine too! All good here - I must have gotten a Tuesday car.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Haha - I went out to the garage to look at mine too! All good here - I must have gotten a Tuesday car.
GM-style!
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-03-2021), CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
@Zozzle ,

Those pics in first post ... yours is not too bad.

The other guys car ... looks like maybe it got "bumped" already and bumper-cover is pushed back a bit. If so, that is by design and is easy to fix/re-align. Much of that bumper/grill is just "snapped together" with special clips anyway.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
@Zozzle ,
Those pics in first post ... yours is not too bad.
The other guys car ... looks like maybe it got "bumped" already and bumper-cover is pushed back a bit. If so, that is by design and is easy to fix/re-align. Much of that bumper/grill is just "snapped together" with special clips anyway.
Just to reiterate - mine is the 2nd one down, the other fella's is the one with the raindrops. The hood/bumper gap on mine on the passenger side is about half the gap on the driver's side. It looks worse in real life. Then there is this that I didn't post before -

Old 09-06-2021, 05:07 PM

such a pretty car!
Old 09-06-2021, 05:13 PM

it looks like it was put together by me!
impatient ass!

I would take it to a small independent collision center and have them align the body panels properly. that is if I had the cash and cared enough to do so. you might strike a deal with the owner, good luck.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
Looks like the hood is a little lower on the passenger side. Bumping the adjuster up a little on that side may make it look a little better. Not sure if I would mess with a body shop. Sometimes things are better left alone. Maybe they can make it better or maybe it ends up worse.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

QC team was caught snoozing that day. Thinking team J-VIN would never let this slide.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jhb31
Looks like the hood is a little lower on the passenger side. Bumping the adjuster up a little on that side may make it look a little better. Not sure if I would mess with a body shop. Sometimes things are better left alone. Maybe they can make it better or maybe it ends up worse.
I'll add to my original post in a few minutes. They (an independent body shop that the Acura dealer subs body stuff out to) fixed the low hood by just screwing the bumper out a little bit. The bumper is ingenious as the rubber bumper itself has very coarse screw threads cast into it's base. So they just simply turn the bumper and re-check. It's perfect now.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

I'm the OP with the mis-aligned fender/hood/bumper. The dealer subs bodywork out to a local body shop. They fixed my car to my satisfaction within 1/2 a day.

I'll give you before and after pics of the worst part. The passenger side of the hood was raised by using the hood rubber bumper. They fixed the low hood by just screwing the bumper out a little bit. The bumper is ingenious as the rubber bumper itself has very coarse screw threads cast into its base. So they just simply turn the bumper and re-check. It's perfect now. The passenger side bumper is screwed out about a 1/2" more than the driver's side so what does that tell you?

The fender to frt bumper alignment is just about dead perfect.

The other owner from Facebook that I mentioned in my OP really got the shaft as they had his car a week and told him it couldn't be fixed.

Anyway, hats off to the ones who fixed my car - Acura West in London Ontario Canada and Jones Auto Body West also in London Ont.

The following 3 users liked this post by Zozzle:
ELIN (09-11-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (09-11-2021), justnspace (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 12:46 PM

awesome job!

Quick Reply: Body panel misalignment anyone?