ATLP Type-S secondary down pipe/ A-pipe/ Front pipe review

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
ATLP Type-S secondary down pipe/ A-pipe/ Front pipe review

I have had ATLP’s secondary DP/A-pipe on for a couple weeks now and thought i would post my impressions so far.

This is the first mod i’ve done to the car so it is completely stock otherwise. I don’t intend to go crazy with aftermarket parts. If anyone developed a real intake for it I’d buy that, but i have no intention of tuning it or doing any mod that would be an annoyance to myself or my neighbours and that was my biggest concern before purchasing this. I had heard (on-line) Type S’ with primary downpipes, primary and secondary DP and cat backs and all of them were louder then i was interested in. The secondary cat has no sensor, is completely exposed, and is a succubus. The primary cat does the hard emissions work on this car (hence the o2 sensor being there) so it’s an obvious choice for an easy mod but having not heard anyone do just the secondary dp i was concerned it by itself be too loud for me also. after months of waiting for someone else to be a guinea pig i gave up and decided to order during heeltoes black friday sale…

ATLP A-pipe

At $269 on sale if i didnt like it, it wasnt a huge loss. Even at $299 regular price its very reasonable. The only other option i know of is IMR’s which is $500 and after looking at the construction of the ATLP piece i cant imagine what the extra $200 would gain you with the IMR unit. The ATLP pipe has great welds, smooth bends and sturdy looking hardware. Its a high quality piece of pipe, and legitimately thats all it is, theres not a bunch of tech here, its just getting rid of that cat with a bigger stainless straight pipe.

The stock piece was surprisingly corroded for only being through 1 canadian winter and it is a real deal cat in there, if you hold it up to a light bulb the light is barely visible through the other side. Its an absolute plug and since there is no o2 sensor on it or anywhere afterwords and there are no emissions tests in Ontario, this thing is useless to me.

Im very happy to report that although it is louder, it is only slightly. More bassy-er then actually louder. It literally sounds like a higher volume of air is flowing through it. Its noticible on cold starts but not obnoxious, and that can be totally defeated by shutting the car off in comfort so it starts with the baffles closed. With them closed you can’t tell any difference at all. When driving there is zero drone, just a touch more volume in sport/ sport + and no difference in normal/ comfort. The most noticeable change is the pops in sport/sport +. They are louder and seemingly more frequent, but thats only when your giving it the beans anyway which is when you want to hear it. It did exactly what i wanted it to audibly, it sounds better, especially when you want it to, without ever being annoying. My wife hasnt even noticed its on there yet if that helps in identifying volume changes, but shes also not giving it a good rip very frequently and uses normal mode.

performance wise, its a bolt on so expectations should be low but the butt dyno says it helped. I have a hard time saying how much because generally with this car i find it can feel much more lively from one day to the next inexplicably at times and also with temperature changes, but it has never felt quite as eager as it has the last few days especially. If someone said it gained 10 horsepower across the board i would believe them, but there is no real point in making up fictional numbers.

in closing i see this as a rare zero loss modification (unless emissions really matter to you but then i doubt you would want this car in the first place given the city driving mileage i get lol)

pros

-cheap
-easy
-well built
-sounds good without being obnoxious
-expected performance gains

Cons

-makes trees cry, though less then if primary cat was removed.

This should be where most people start with mods on this car, unless you have regular emissions testing in your state/province (and even then, its 6 bolts and a pry bar)I really cant see a reason to avoid this. I’m Very happy so far.

Last edited by sombasol; 01-11-2023 at 02:20 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by sombasol:
BadMoonRyzen (01-11-2023), Camaro194 (01-11-2023), FckFiat (01-17-2023), harpazo (01-12-2023), leomio2.0 (01-12-2023), Nick’s Type S (01-16-2023), richii0207 (01-11-2023), SargentHQ (02-06-2023), Tony Pac (01-31-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2023, 03:16 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts
Great read, thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback! They did a great job on the welds.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
Thank you for the very detailed review! I actually have this along with the ATLP Cat Back shipping soon and I must say I am pleased with the look of the welds and the overall quality from you pictures. I hope the Cat Back looks as nice too. Good to hear that it's not too loud either as I believe Marcus said the A Pipe basically adds as much sound as the exhaust does. I want very minimal increase in overall volume, just clearer sound and a little more power.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great review! Still waiting on the ATLP cat-back myself. I’ll keep you guys posted what I think after it’s installed.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sombasol
I have had ATLP’s secondary DP/A-pipe on for a couple weeks now and thought i would post my impressions so far.

This is the first mod i’ve done to the car so it is completely stock otherwise. I don’t intend to go crazy with aftermarket parts. If anyone developed a real intake for it I’d buy that, but i have no intention of tuning it or doing any mod that would be an annoyance to myself or my neighbours and that was my biggest concern before purchasing this. I had heard (on-line) Type S’ with primary downpipes, primary and secondary DP and cat backs and all of them were louder then i was interested in. The secondary cat has no sensor, is completely exposed, and is a succubus. The primary cat does the hard emissions work on this car (hence the o2 sensor being there) so it’s an obvious choice for an easy mod but having not heard anyone do just the secondary dp i was concerned it by itself be too loud for me also. after months of waiting for someone else to be a guinea pig i gave up and decided to order during heeltoes black friday sale…

ATLP A-pipe

At $269 on sale if i didnt like it, it wasnt a huge loss. Even at $299 regular price its very reasonable. The only other option i know of is IMR’s which is $500 and after looking at the construction of the ATLP piece i cant imagine what the extra $200 would gain you with the IMR unit. The ATLP pipe has great welds, smooth bends and sturdy looking hardware. Its a high quality piece of pipe, and legitimately thats all it is, theres not a bunch of tech here, its just getting rid of that cat with a bigger stainless straight pipe.

The stock piece was surprisingly corroded for only being through 1 canadian winter and it is a real deal cat in there, if you hold it up to a light bulb the light is barely visible through the other side. Its an absolute plug and since there is no o2 sensor on it or anywhere afterwords and there are no emissions tests in Ontario, this thing is useless to me.

Im very happy to report that although it is louder, it is only slightly. More bassy-er then actually louder. It literally sounds like a higher volume of air is flowing through it. Its noticible on cold starts but not obnoxious, and that can be totally defeated by shutting the car off in comfort so it starts with the baffles closed. With them closed you can’t tell any difference at all. When driving there is zero drone, just a touch more volume in sport/ sport + and no difference in normal/ comfort. The most noticeable change is the pops in sport/sport +. They are louder and seemingly more frequent, but thats only when your giving it the beans anyway which is when you want to hear it. It did exactly what i wanted it to audibly, it sounds better, especially when you want it to, without ever being annoying. My wife hasnt even noticed its on there yet if that helps in identifying volume changes, but shes also not giving it a good rip very frequently and uses normal mode.

performance wise, its a bolt on so expectations should be low but the butt dyno says it helped. I have a hard time saying how much because generally with this car i find it can feel much more lively from one day to the next inexplicably at times and also with temperature changes, but it has never felt quite as eager as it has the last few days especially. If someone said it gained 10 horsepower across the board i would believe them, but there is no real point in making up fictional numbers.

in closing i see this as a rare zero loss modification (unless emissions really matter to you but then i doubt you would want this car in the first place given the city driving mileage i get lol)

pros

-cheap
-easy
-well built

Cons

This should be where most people start with mods on this car, unless you have regular emissions testing in your state/province (and even then, its 6 bolts and a pry bar)I really cant see a reason to avoid this. I’m Very happy so far.

great write up
Old 01-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
The pipe looks good... !
Wouldn't drilling out and gutting the catalityc core give you the same effect as the down pipe?(looks like an easy job from one end..) I dont think you would notice any difference between the gutted stock pipe and a custom pipe...
Old 01-21-2023, 06:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by arek1200
The pipe looks good... !
Wouldn't drilling out and gutting the catalityc core give you the same effect as the down pipe?(looks like an easy job from one end..) I dont think you would notice any difference between the gutted stock pipe and a custom pipe...
probably wouldnt know the difference (though the diameter is larger also) but for $300 whats the point? Who knows when emissions tests will be beefed up and then you’d have to buy a $1200 oem part to pass rather then doing it properly now and having the original cat stored in the garage until needed.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sombasol

ATLP A-pipe

pros

-cheap
-easy
-well built

Cons

Did you get any CEL's after install? Since it's past the O2 sensor I would assume not, right?
Old 01-24-2023, 06:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dpyryt
Did you get any CEL's after install? Since it's past the O2 sensor I would assume not, right?
no lights of any sort, you are correct since its after the the O2 sensor there is nothing to monitor it so its open season for removal.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Function Werk single cell DP should be arriving tomorrow