Acura VP Says There Will Be a Third-Generation NSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 05:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Acura VP Says There Will Be a Third-Generation NSX

According to Acura vice president and brand officer Jon Ikeda, the NSX nameplate is far from dead. Though Ikeda didn't spill any other info, this sort of statement suggests the third-generation NSX will be fully electric, though we can't say for sure. Either way, confirmation of a third-generation NSX comes as a surprise. The second-gen model, a twin-turbo V-6-powered hybrid with three electric motors, couldn't have been cheap to develop, and its lackluster sales numbers were surely no consolation. Acura moved just 128 units in all of 2020. Definitely a limited production car.

We didn't go into it to make a lot of money," Ikeda told Motor Trend "NSX was to be a representative for the Acura brand's vision for the future"
Old 08-24-2021, 05:33 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of Jon Ikeda however the next "NSX" (if one) will be pure EV.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:36 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
The Type-S is quite likely to be the last pure non-EV from Acura. Like it or not, more and more manufacturers are switching to full or partial (hybrid) EVs every year.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
The Type-S is quite likely to be the last pure non-EV from Acura. Like it or not, more and more manufacturers are switching to full or partial (hybrid) EVs every year.
I'm not certain that I agree:

1) The US infrastructure is nowhere near ready for the complete conversion. For example, urban areas, where street parking is commonplace, will pose a challenge. Many folks will balk at the cost to wire charging capability, especially if their panel is already maxed out. I have 400 amp service in my home, but not a single spare breaker. Also, consider toll plazas - they are geared for 10-15 minute fill ups, not 2-3 hour battery recharges. Many in the NE US don't have the room.

2) Tesla (the market leader) has NEVER come close to turning an operating profit. Many automakers may not have the capital (or means to it) in order to jump full-bore into EVs or even hybrids. Will their government's step up?

3) As some of the automakers exit internal combustion engine development (think European companies) those remaining will face steady, if not increased demand for their products, especially in developing countries.

Put it altogether and the more likely time horizon will be 20+ years for developed counties, and more for others. The Big Picture challenges are significant and many. The question is... Do people have the true will to accept and make the changes?... Or will they just say... "That's a good idea, YOU make the change, and I'll watch?"
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jim2301
I'm not certain that I agree:

1) The US infrastructure is nowhere near ready for the complete conversion. For example, urban areas, where street parking is commonplace, will pose a challenge. Many folks will balk at the cost to wire charging capability, especially if their panel is already maxed out. I have 400 amp service in my home, but not a single spare breaker. Also, consider toll plazas - they are geared for 10-15 minute fill ups, not 2-3 hour battery recharges. Many in the NE US don't have the room.

2) Tesla (the market leader) has NEVER come close to turning an operating profit. Many automakers may not have the capital (or means to it) in order to jump full-bore into EVs or even hybrids. Will their government's step up?

3) As some of the automakers exit internal combustion engine development (think European companies) those remaining will face steady, if not increased demand for their products, especially in developing countries.

Put it altogether and the more likely time horizon will be 20+ years for developed counties, and more for others. The Big Picture challenges are significant and many. The question is... Do people have the true will to accept and make the changes?... Or will they just say... "That's a good idea, YOU make the change, and I'll watch?"
Think EV's full takeover hinge on three things. Where can you plug it in? how long will it take to charge? how long will the charge last? Batteries are a long way from replacing ICE because they still can't come up with a satisfactory answer to those three basic questions.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:01 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Most power grids in North America can barely handle people using AC all day on hot days nevermind millions of cars plugged in to recharge.... It's all talk now. When I see Billions getting spent on improving infrastructure then I will believe it. For now we are decades away.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmski:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-24-2021), pyrodan007 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 11:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dmski
Most power grids in North America can barely handle people using AC all day on hot days nevermind millions of cars plugged in to recharge.... It's all talk now. When I see Billions getting spent on improving infrastructure then I will believe it. For now we are decades away.
That's the Catch 22. We need generation, storage & distribution. The tree huggers have pretty much blocked any new generation with the EPA. Windmills were going to save the day then the the environmental people said they were killing birds & shut then down. Also noise around them is pretty bad. Say Atomics & they all faint, you will kill us all. Solar fails when you need it most & enough storage capacity does not exist to get through no Sun times. Back to batteries, very dirty raw material extraction or some other type of storage.

After the EPA wars are fought & we actually add generation the distribution war will start. You ain't putting those pylons here they will give us cancer, call the lawyer.

Maybe they will all just throw in the sponge & we can sink quietly into a large third world country & let the snail darters take over.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:09 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
That's the Catch 22. We need generation, storage & distribution. The tree huggers have pretty much blocked any new generation with the EPA. Windmills were going to save the day then the the environmental people said they were killing birds & shut then down. Also noise around them is pretty bad. Say Atomics & they all faint, you will kill us all. Solar fails when you need it most & enough storage capacity does not exist to get through no Sun times. Back to batteries, very dirty raw material extraction or some other type of storage.

After the EPA wars are fought & we actually add generation the distribution war will start. You ain't putting those pylons here they will give us cancer, call the lawyer.

Maybe they will all just throw in the sponge & we can sink quietly into a large third world country & let the snail darters take over.
Windmills don't matter without batteries. Nuclear is the only real answer that could solve all of the above today, but politicians prefer to keep everyone fighting, so now it's fossil fuels vs. renewables.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Biggest issue with the NSX was Acura/Honda continually promising the earth and the moon and giving us something that fell short of that. They've been really good at that since 2009...
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (08-25-2021)