2021 TLX Type S downpipe advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
Not just in general. For example, simply driving into a garage, turning off the car and getting out, you and your kids are breathing in small quantities of unburned hydrocarbons.
I hear ya but there's probably much worse things in life. Processed foods, sugar intake, scam vaccines, but I won't get into that.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:49 AM
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by FckFiat
I hear ya but there's probably much worse things in life. Processed foods, sugar intake, scam vaccines, but I won't get into that.
mitigating one risk does not preclude mitigating another
but I agree we're not getting into that in this thread, let's leave that alone.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
I have ended up cancelling the order on the A pipe and just going with the catback. I think the general consensus is that it will for sure be louder with the A pipe and catback vs just the catback alone. Plus, since I'm going without the valves and will be wide open all the time I just want to make sure it's not too loud.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by BadMoonRyzen
I have ended up cancelling the order on the A pipe and just going with the catback. I think the general consensus is that it will for sure be louder with the A pipe and catback vs just the catback alone. Plus, since I'm going without the valves and will be wide open all the time I just want to make sure it's not too loud.
so how she’s that work when u eliminate the valves it’s like it’ll stay on sport mode all the time and not on normal or comfort?
Old 03-15-2023, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TypeS22
so how she’s that work when u eliminate the valves it’s like it’ll stay on sport mode all the time and not on normal or comfort?

yeah different driving modes will no longer have an effect on the exhaust dampers, but if I remember correctly I think the one with the valves is cheaper. maybe thats just for the FW setup.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Well, no, it will stay in normal mode all the time, except the dampers will just open all the time, it's like there are no dampers at all. Because, sport and sport+ mode is more than just opening the valves, right?
Old 03-16-2023, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Well, no, it will stay in normal mode all the time, except the dampers will just open all the time, it's like there are no dampers at all. Because, sport and sport+ mode is more than just opening the valves, right?

yes theres a big jump in performance between different driving modes. the exhaust aspect of it is just opening and closing of valves. sport+ is insane performance wise but its not to be used as a daily mode. you'll get sick of it real quick unless you're doing canyon driving to work everyday. sport+ loves 3k+ rpms
Old 03-21-2023, 06:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick’s Type S
It’s about 2X louder with more of an aggressive growl, and that’s even in Normal mode. The valves close on comfort as expected. No noticeable performance changes yet, but I have a few things to do including a tune to really bring out the mods I have.
Any new impressions or sound clips inside and outside of the cabin? My exhaust got delayed again but the newest update is end of April, I didn't think it would take 4 months past the original ship date but I guess stuff happens. I ditched the A pipe and I'm curious as to your thoughts of the sound level with the valves open and no A pipe now that you've had some time to live with it. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2023, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Any new impressions or sound clips inside and outside of the cabin? My exhaust got delayed again but the newest update is end of April, I didn't think it would take 4 months past the original ship date but I guess stuff happens. I ditched the A pipe and I'm curious as to your thoughts of the sound level with the valves open and no A pipe now that you've had some time to live with it. Thanks!
I ordered mine in November and it got delayed also which was disappointing but in the end it was worth it. Inside the cabin that exhaust can be heard in normal and comfort which is what I drive in mostly. When I want to race someone or open it up on higher speeds I turn to sport. I got the A pipe because Marcus staid it pairs nicely together. But let me tell u I’ve noticed the valves stay open longer on the initial start and it’s loud to the point I can hear it when I’m at church and I’m about to leave.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:22 AM
Instructor

I ordered mine in November and it got delayed also which was disappointing but in the end it was worth it. Inside the cabin that exhaust can be heard in normal and comfort which is what I drive in mostly. When I want to race someone or open it up on higher speeds I turn to sport. I got the A pipe because Marcus staid it pairs nicely together. But let me tell u I’ve noticed the valves stay open longer on the initial start and it’s loud to the point I can hear it when I’m at church and I’m about to leave.
Gotcha! Well, in that case I'm glad I skipped the A pipe. It would be one thing if I still had the active dampers, but with it being wide open all the time I just don't want to risk it.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I wish you could set the valves to stay open if you wanted with the stock exhaust.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:28 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by twitchy15
I wish you could set the valves to stay open if you wanted with the stock exhaust.
You can keep them open all the time if you disconnect the valve connector while in sport+ mode. It’s not a pretty solution but does work as some owners have done this.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by richii0207
You can keep them open all the time if you disconnect the valve connector while in sport+ mode. It’s not a pretty solution but does work as some owners have done this.
And the connector just hangs down?

I just wish you could customize that as a setting like going into individual mode could choose if valves were open or not
Old 03-21-2023, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by twitchy15

with the ATLP and open valves whole time? Heck no, too much to drive like that. I like it with the valves I can adjust the tone anytime I want.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:38 PM
Instructor

with the ATLP and open valves whole time? Heck no, too much to drive like that. I like it with the valves I can adjust the tone anytime I want.
That's exactly what I'm worried about! But, I have to have the valves "open" all the time as I won't even have the valves. For the rest of the thread, what is everyone's thought on this? Instead of the catless A pipe, the one pictured below. I have a credit now that I've opted not to go with the catless A pipe to keep the sound in check. In theory shouldn't this one flow better than stock, but keep the sound levels in check?

Old 03-21-2023, 08:08 PM
Instructor

i went FW 200 cell DP with the FW secondary removed and definitely notice the sound difference in sport and sport+ but it's not much difference in comfort and normal modes, not that I notice anyway. I also have a boost actuated cutout that opens up around 12 PSI so when I get on the throttle it opens up and sounds like vtec
Old 03-23-2023, 06:39 AM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
That's exactly what I'm worried about! But, I have to have the valves "open" all the time as I won't even have the valves. For the rest of the thread, what is everyone's thought on this? Instead of the catless A pipe, the one pictured below. I have a credit now that I've opted not to go with the catless A pipe to keep the sound in check. In theory shouldn't this one flow better than stock, but keep the sound levels in check?

your best move is probably to wait (i understand no one wants that lol) the A pipe is such a quick and easy job that its not a big deal to do it seperately from the exhaust. Then you will know for sure what comfort level you will have with the noise.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sombasol
your best move is probably to wait (i understand no one wants that lol) the A pipe is such a quick and easy job that its not a big deal to do it seperately from the exhaust. Then you will know for sure what comfort level you will have with the noise.
I think you're right. Very easy to add that down the road need be.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Which option would you say nets better performance/flow?

1. Stock exhaust with high flow catted A pipe.

2. Cat back exhaust with stock A pipe.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Which option would you say nets better performance/flow?

1. Stock exhaust with high flow catted A pipe.

2. Cat back exhaust with stock A pipe.

I'd say cat would net better flow but honestly there are some strange bottle necks in the overall exhaust system. I kept my stock exhaust and just went with a full downpipe and an exhaust cutout that opens around 10-14PSI for max flow
Old 04-06-2023, 04:25 PM
Instructor

I'd say cat would net better flow but honestly there are some strange bottle necks in the overall exhaust system. I kept my stock exhaust and just went with a full downpipe and an exhaust cutout that opens around 10-14PSI for max flow
I think I may have seen a video of this on Youtube? Did you go catless? I'm thinking about going with the 200 cell catted primary and secondary down pipes from Function Werks. How loud would you say it is with the stock exhaust before you open dump? Also, any smells?
The following users liked this post:
FckFiat (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 11:02 PM
Instructor

I think I may have seen a video of this on Youtube? Did you go catless? I'm thinking about going with the 200 cell catted primary and secondary down pipes from Function Werks. How loud would you say it is with the stock exhaust before you open dump? Also, any smells?
So i went 200 cell on the primary and eliminated the secondary. It's alot louder on cold starts. Driving normal has a nice growl to it, nothing major but when my dump opens its loud AF. basically an open DP. Haven't made any youtube videos so you definitely haven't seen mine and I don't think anyone else has done it. The only issue i have is when I'm in normal or comfort modes, the gearing is terrible so if i need to get on it a bit by opening up the throttle, the dump will open and it sounds like shit honestly. Sport/Sport+ its perfect though.

As far as the smells, I had my DP ceramic coated AND wrapped so it smelled pretty bad the first few times I ran it hard, since I dont smell it often unless I really drive it hard and then stop for a red light or get out of the car. It's not nearly as bad as it was to start though.

On a scale of 1-10

Loudness without the dump opening if stock was say a 5, i'd say the DP brings it to a 6.5-7. Its not major but enough to know something was done.
Loudness with the dump definitely a 10

Smell at the beginning 10 being the worst, 7-8. Now it's probably a 2-3 on some occasions.
Old 04-14-2023, 06:36 AM
Instructor

So i went 200 cell on the primary and eliminated the secondary. It's alot louder on cold starts. Driving normal has a nice growl to it, nothing major but when my dump opens its loud AF. basically an open DP. Haven't made any youtube videos so you definitely haven't seen mine and I don't think anyone else has done it. The only issue i have is when I'm in normal or comfort modes, the gearing is terrible so if i need to get on it a bit by opening up the throttle, the dump will open and it sounds like shit honestly. Sport/Sport+ its perfect though.

As far as the smells, I had my DP ceramic coated AND wrapped so it smelled pretty bad the first few times I ran it hard, since I dont smell it often unless I really drive it hard and then stop for a red light or get out of the car. It's not nearly as bad as it was to start though.

On a scale of 1-10

Loudness without the dump opening if stock was say a 5, i'd say the DP brings it to a 6.5-7. Its not major but enough to know something was done.
Loudness with the dump definitely a 10

Smell at the beginning 10 being the worst, 7-8. Now it's probably a 2-3 on some occasions.
This is very helpful, thank you! Also, you're saying adding the downpipe changed the gearing somehow? I've never heard that before. Now, I do notice on the stage 1 Ktuner tune that at about half throttle it feels like with the factory exhaust setup it's not flowing enough so it's jerky, but at part or full throttle it's fine.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:39 PM
Instructor

This is very helpful, thank you! Also, you're saying adding the downpipe changed the gearing somehow? I've never heard that before. Now, I do notice on the stage 1 Ktuner tune that at about half throttle it feels like with the factory exhaust setup it's not flowing enough so it's jerky, but at part or full throttle it's fine.
no doesn't change the gearing at all. basically the stock gearing sets cruising RPMs so low on normal and comfort modes that if I get on the throttle enough the exhaust cutout will open and it sounds like shit. I typically drive on sport mode anyway because if I don't the car is very boring to me.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:41 AM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Just installed the ATLP cat-less A-pipe this past weekend. Love, love, love the sound from the car now. With the rest of the exhaust system stock, the sound in comfort/normal isn't changed much, but in sport (and especially sport+), it added some volume and more audible pops during upshifts. It was also easy to install with the car up on ramps. The new pipe slid in easily without having preinstalled bolts.
FckFiat (05-17-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 07:20 AM
Banned

Received 80 Likes on 47 Posts
Innovative Motorworks in PA, I sold the Derek his NSX, said "DO NOT do the downpipe...it's actually pretty awesome as it is. Do the Intercooler though, heat soak...and no need for intake or upgraded piping..." Just FYI.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my ATLP Catback and A pipe installed. I love it. Sounds so good. Check the type s Group on fb for the video
Which FB Group is it on? I would love to see and hear the sound on yours as I'm finally ready to grab the A Pipe. I already had the ATLP Catback for some months now, but I feel I'm limited in power with the stock cat secondary.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2023, 11:18 AM
Instructor

I placed an order for the primary and secondary catted down pipes from Funtion Werk over the weekend and I will be paring that with the stock exhaust. But, I also added the up pipe as well linked below. Has anyone purchased and installed this piece yet? I can't find a single mention of it anywhere on the web or YouTube.

https://functionwerk.com/collections...0t-j30ac-turbo
Old 05-29-2023, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

I placed an order for the primary and secondary catted down pipes from Funtion Werk over the weekend and I will be paring that with the stock exhaust. But, I also added the up pipe as well linked below. Has anyone purchased and installed this piece yet? I can't find a single mention of it anywhere on the web or YouTube.

Where does this pipe go? First time seeing this one.

I remember chatting with the guy “Albert” from FW directly when their catback was still on back order, and him mentioning all of these different pipes, non catted and catted they were releasing soon. I just wasn’t sold on any of the catted pipes even the claimed “high flow” ones. I’ve also been told (from ATLP) those high flow cats can stink up and dirty your car interior. Everyone’s experience is different of course, but just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick’s Type S
Where does this pipe go? First time seeing this one.

I remember chatting with the guy “Albert” from FW directly when their catback was still on back order, and him mentioning all of these different pipes, non catted and catted they were releasing soon. I just wasn’t sold on any of the catted pipes even the claimed “high flow” ones. I’ve also been told (from ATLP) those high flow cats can stink up and dirty your car interior. Everyone’s experience is different of course, but just wanted to throw that out there.
The pipe(s) attach to your turbo and are ceramic coated. It should increase spool time and add a few horses. As for the high flow cats, I did a bunch of reading and it “seems” If you go with a quality 200 cell cat the smell should be very minimal to non existent. I guess I’ll know soon.
Nick’s Type S (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 02:07 PM
Instructor

wild that they're charging 600 bucks for that.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Instructor

wild that they're charging 600 bucks for that.
Yeah, it is pricey. At least it’s two pieces and both ceramic coated. I just hope I can tell a difference.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

The pipe(s) attach to your turbo and are ceramic coated. It should increase spool time and add a few horses. As for the high flow cats, I did a bunch of reading and it “seems” If you go with a quality 200 cell cat the smell should be very minimal to non existent. I guess I’ll know soon.

Nice! Keep us posted once everything is in, and if you notice any difference in the Turbo spool time. I still have to put the intercooler upgrade from PRL in…definitely before it gets too hot out. Hope I notice a significant difference with that too.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Yeah, it is pricey. At least it’s two pieces and both ceramic coated. I just hope I can tell a difference.
wonder what the size difference on it is
Old 05-29-2023, 04:22 PM
Instructor

wonder what the size difference on it is
Albert did say it was slightly larger diameter than stock but did not say exactly what exact size.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Albert did say it was slightly larger diameter than stock but did not say exactly what exact size.

i kinda feel like they should've kept some sort of small flex pipe in there. there's a reason why acura engineers used flex up pipes.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 671 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by thedeathprojects
Innovative Motorworks in PA, I sold the Derek his NSX, said "DO NOT do the downpipe...it's actually pretty awesome as it is. Do the Intercooler though, heat soak...and no need for intake or upgraded piping..." Just FYI.
I'd imagine that's possibly true for the primary downpipe ... manufacturers have gotten pretty good at engineering them. Where you used to see a lot more HP gains from doing downpipes, nowadays, you might see single digit gains if any at all. There's not many people doing before and after dynos on the TLX-S for us to know though.

That said, I'd think that getting rid of the secondary cat with a straight pipe would certainly help and would have no effects on your emissions control devices.