2021 TLX Type S downpipe advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 09:26 PM
9th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 TLX Type S downpipe advice needed

I own a 2021 Type S and have a catless primary downpipe on the way. Need some advice on if I should keep the stock secondary, go catless, or catted.

Would it make sense to have a catless primary and catted secondary, or should I just go full catless?

I’m also planning on buying the new ATLP exhaust offered for the Type S, so keep that in mind. Looking for better sound, but not anything obnoxious.
Any help is really appreciated.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TLX downpipes

That’s a good question. Depending on the emissions laws where you live I wouldn’t go catless on the primary DP. I know here in MD it’s strict and an annoying money grab. I hear the secondary DP doesn’t have a sensor connected so you can possibly get away with going catless on that one. I don’t know anyone personally who has done either, but curious if they would notice issues CEL codes. I just ordered my ATLP catback exhaust kit for my 22 Type S this evening. Preorders just went live. I can’t wait! I’m curious to see what others post and what advice they have.
The following users liked this post:
mjaTypeS (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
I think double catless and atlp exhaust would likely be the definition of obnoxious, your pretty close to a straight pipe at that point, but to each there own. You will have to remember to shut it off in comfort every night at least to prevent the neighbours from losing their shit on cold starts every morning. I am waiting to see results of some of the first buyers before doing anything, i like the sound of the exhaust as is and am concerned about messing it up. Im not going to do anything with the full exhaust but deciding whether to go straight secondary, or high flow for primary and secondary. Im worried about how loud its going to be with anything beyond that.
The following 2 users liked this post by sombasol:
mjaTypeS (10-26-2022), Nick’s Type S (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sombasol
I think double catless and atlp exhaust would likely be the definition of obnoxious, your pretty close to a straight pipe at that point, but to each there own. You will have to remember to shut it off in comfort every night at least to prevent the neighbours from losing their shit on cold starts every morning. I am waiting to see results of some of the first buyers before doing anything, i like the sound of the exhaust as is and am concerned about messing it up. Im not going to do anything with the full exhaust but deciding whether to go straight secondary, or high flow for primary and secondary. Im worried about how loud its going to be with anything beyond that.
yeah no kidding about the neighbors and morning cold starts 😂
Old 10-26-2022, 10:29 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Nick’s Type S
That’s a good question. Depending on the emissions laws where you live I wouldn’t go catless on the primary DP. I know here in MD it’s strict and an annoying money grab. I hear the secondary DP doesn’t have a sensor connected so you can possibly get away with going catless on that one. I don’t know anyone personally who has done either, but curious if they would notice issues CEL codes. I just ordered my ATLP catback exhaust kit for my 22 Type S this evening. Preorders just went live. I can’t wait! I’m curious to see what others post and what advice they have.
Thanks for the input! Similar laws here in IL. Main thing keeping me from going catless secondary is emissions, so it may make sense to go with the catted to be safe.

Definitely excited for the ATLP exhaust! Putting in my pre-order very soon.
Nick’s Type S (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 10:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mjaTypeS
Thanks for the input! Similar laws here in IL. Main thing keeping me from going catless secondary is emissions, so it may make sense to go with the catted to be safe.

Definitely excited for the ATLP exhaust! Putting in my pre-order very soon.
Same here. After watching the last YT video on their channel I can say it’s the best sounding aftermarket bolt on being released and they really took their time with it. With little to no drone as well. It’s more aggressive sound in all modes with the OEM active valve but even louder in Sport+. I almost settled for the one from functionwerk but glad this one came just in time.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:33 PM
9th Gear

I agree. May be too obnoxious and basically a straight piped system, but who knows. From the videos I've seen, the ATLP sounds beautiful so messing it up shouldn't be a concern.
Annoying the neighbors won't be a problem lol. One of my neighbors has a straight piped wrx and the other an srt jeep.
Nick’s Type S (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mjatypes
i agree. May be too obnoxious and basically a straight piped system, but who knows. From the videos i've seen, the atlp sounds beautiful so messing it up shouldn't be a concern.
Annoying the neighbors won't be a problem lol. One of my neighbors has a straight piped wrx and the other an srt jeep.
nice! 😁
Old 10-26-2022, 10:38 PM
9th Gear

Same here. After watching the last YT video on their channel I can say it’s the best sounding aftermarket bolt on being released and they really took their time with it. With little to no drone as well. It’s more aggressive sound in all modes with the OEM active valve but even louder in Sport+. I almost settled for the one from functionwerk but glad this one came just in time.
They posted a new 1 minute clip of the exhaust on their facebook, gives a better perspective on how it will sound. Way more aggressive!
Old 10-26-2022, 10:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mjaTypeS
They posted a new 1 minute clip of the exhaust on their facebook, gives a better perspective on how it will sound. Way more aggressive!
Holy shit! I just saw it and that’s sounds amazing.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:42 AM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
Holy shit! I just saw it and that’s sounds amazing.
Can someone please post that video, or a link to the video here? I've got that exact exhaust and A pipe in my cart ready to purchase but I was waiting on the last video to post. I don't see it on YouTube yet and I don't have Facebook. I'm just making sure it's not too loud. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2022, 06:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BadMoonRyzen
Can someone please post that video, or a link to the video here? I've got that exact exhaust and A pipe in my cart ready to purchase but I was waiting on the last video to post. I don't see it on YouTube yet and I don't have Facebook. I'm just making sure it's not too loud. Thanks!
This is the recent YT vid:

FB:

Facebook Post

IMO it’s not obnoxiously loud compared to most cars with custom exhausts on the road these days, but all I would do is the catback, the additional pipe upgrades may make it too loud.
BadMoonRyzen (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 09:48 AM
Instructor

This is the recent YT vid:

https://youtube.com/shorts/ijZX4Lc4alc?feature=share

FB:

https://m.facebook.com/ATLPLab/video...f=sharing&_rdr

IMO it’s not obnoxiously loud compared to most cars with custom exhausts on the road these days, but all I would do is the catback, the additional pipe upgrades may make it too loud.
Thanks so much! I had seen the YouTube video but not the Facebook one. DAMN that sounds good! Plus, that video was with the A Pipe as well so I really don't think it will be too loud. Shouldn't the A Pipe theoretically add maybe 5 whp as well? I'm about to checkout at Helltoe .
Nick’s Type S (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Thanks so much! I had seen the YouTube video but not the Facebook one. DAMN that sounds good! Plus, that video was with the A Pipe as well so I really don't think it will be too loud. Shouldn't the A Pipe theoretically add maybe 5 whp as well? I'm about to checkout at Helltoe .
yeah man…if you do both A Pipe and catback, let us know how it goes and sounds.

thanks
Old 11-02-2022, 02:02 PM
Instructor

For those that have not seen the new video. Sounds amazing IMO.
Nick’s Type S (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

https://youtu.be/pDZbo8xp67E
Thanks for posting! This vid really makes me feel
comfortable about the decision I made to preorder mine. Sounds great!
Old 11-02-2022, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Thanks for posting! This vid really makes me feel
comfortable about the decision I made to preorder mine. Sounds great!
You're very welcome! I'm about to preorder as well. Did you go with or without the Active Delete and the A pipe?
Old 11-02-2022, 03:10 PM
Intermediate

You're very welcome! I'm about to preorder as well. Did you go with or without the Active Delete and the A pipe?
I went with the active valve for now and no A-pipe. I think the catback exhaust alone will be loud enough for me. 😁
Old 11-02-2022, 03:44 PM
Instructor

I went with the active valve for now and no A-pipe. I think the catback exhaust alone will be loud enough for me. 😁
That's what I'm so torn about! I want the extra power as long as the sound isn't too bad And, I do know in this video it is with the A Pipe and the Catback as well. Decisions, decisions!
Old 11-02-2022, 04:14 PM
Intermediate

That's what I'm so torn about! I want the extra power as long as the sound isn't too bad And, I do know in this video it is with the A Pipe and the Catback as well. Decisions, decisions!
I totally forgot he has the A-pipe installed on his as well. I kinda wish he did the catback first to know how much louder it was before the A-pipe, but either way the pipe will add more power. Even more with a straight down pipe but that may be overkill. I’m doing mods one by one on mine though. Already did a stage 1 PRL air intake and doing the bored throttle body next, and then intercooler upgrade.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:25 PM
Instructor

I totally forgot he has the A-pipe installed on his as well. I kinda wish he did the catback first to know how much louder it was before the A-pipe, but either way the pipe will add more power. Even more with a straight down pipe but that may be overkill. I’m doing mods one by one on mine though. Already did a stage 1 PRL air intake and doing the bored throttle body next, and then intercooler upgrade.
Well, I'm a few years older than you it looks like so I'm wanting to keep it reasonable as well, but I really think it should be after seeing the most recent video. I'm going to pick up the Stage 1 PRL kit too with the exhaust. Now, I know it's basically a drop in filter and a pipe without ribs, but did you notice anything when you added it? I'm mainly referring to sound or maybe a mpg difference? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

Well, I'm a few years older than you it looks like so I'm wanting to keep it reasonable as well, but I really think it should be after seeing the most recent video. I'm going to pick up the Stage 1 PRL kit too with the exhaust. Now, I know it's basically a drop in filter and a pipe without ribs, but did you notice anything when you added it? I'm mainly referring to sound or maybe a mpg difference? Thanks!
It’s honestly hard to say since I did that literally under 1k miles but I do hear a slight sound change and MPG is debatable because I don’t do much driving and I use 93 octane. To me a 15 gallon tank isn’t much coming from a V8 19 gallon, but I’m satisfied so far.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
https://youtu.be/pDZbo8xp67E

yes already ordered the exhaust and the A pipe. Can't wait
Old 11-10-2022, 09:47 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts

lots if good downpipe info here. Very informative. I’d still like to get a sound measurement on just the secondary cat delete
Nick’s Type S (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 07:08 AM
Intermediate

https://youtu.be/v4edNb_g_nQ

lots if good downpipe info here. Very informative. I’d still like to get a sound measurement on just the secondary cat delete
Sounds nice! This video shows that these companies have yet to perfect the best fit for a good DP (sensors, defoulers,etc). Seems like having it custom made is the way to go like hondamobilemechanic did. I’m still contemplating whether I want to touch my DP yet….still waiting on the catback exhaust. I may do the A-Pipe after. I asked Heeltoe in the latest YT video whether or not I need the A-Pipe with the catback to get that throaty sound. He mentioned 85% of that sound is from the catback system alone. I can’t wait! 😁
Old 11-11-2022, 07:15 AM
Instructor

Sounds nice! This video shows that these companies have yet to perfect the best fit for a good DP (sensors, defoulers,etc). Seems like having it custom made is the way to go like hondamobilemechanic did. I’m still contemplating whether I want to touch my DP yet….still waiting on the catback exhaust. I may do the A-Pipe after. I asked Heeltoe in the latest YT video whether or not I need the A-Pipe with the catback to get that throaty sound. He mentioned 85% of that sound is from the catback system alone. I can’t wait! 😁
I can't wait either! I just ordered the PRL Intake, A Pipe and Catback with the Active Delete last night! If you're still on the fence once I get it installed I can make a video as well with the A Pipe and Catback just to give you another reference point. Seeing as it wasn't that terrible in the above video with the full DP and muffler delete It seems like it will be a good livable sound with the ATLP A Pipe and Catback. I will know soon!
Old 11-11-2022, 08:02 AM
Intermediate

I can't wait either! I just ordered the PRL Intake, A Pipe and Catback with the Active Delete last night! If you're still on the fence once I get it installed I can make a video as well with the A Pipe and Catback just to give you another reference point. Seeing as it wasn't that terrible in the above video with the full DP and muffler delete It seems like it will be a good livable sound with the ATLP A Pipe and Catback. I will know soon!
Sweet! I would appreciate that, just to get a second reference point. I’m getting the bored throttle body put in as we speak, so can’t wait to see if I pick up more a response and power. Was the A Pipe on back order or shipping soon? I know the carback was expected to shop after the first week of December.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Sweet! I would appreciate that, just to get a second reference point. I’m getting the bored throttle body put in as we speak, so can’t wait to see if I pick up more a response and power. Was the A Pipe on back order or shipping soon? I know the carback was expected to shop after the first week of December.
Oh sweet! Let me know what you think about the TB. As long as it's still as smooth as the stock one I may pick that up as well. It appears that the A Pipe was ready to ship immediately. And you are correct on the Catback, I think the ETA is 12/14/2022.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:56 AM
Intermediate

Oh sweet! Let me know what you think about the TB. As long as it's still as smooth as the stock one I may pick that up as well. It appears that the A Pipe was ready to ship immediately. And you are correct on the Catback, I think the ETA is 12/14/2022.
Just got the TB work done and drove for about 10 miles and I will say it feels much more snappier in response compared to the stock. A bit louder in sound too in a good way. It’s supposed to add more power than stock and once an official tune comes out it will really show. That’s good about the A Pipe shipping. I wonder though if I add that and do emissions here in MD will their system detect a cat missing.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Just got the TB work done and drove for about 10 miles and I will say it feels much more snappier in response compared to the stock. A bit louder in sound too in a good way. It’s supposed to add more power than stock and once an official tune comes out it will really show. That’s good about the A Pipe shipping. I wonder though if I add that and do emissions here in MD will their system detect a cat missing.
Have you noticed an drivability issues with the different TB? The only time in the past I've ever changed a TB was on my 1994 Integra GSR and it would never idle right after and was always causing issues. What TB did you go with, I want to research it. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Have you noticed an drivability issues with the different TB? The only time in the past I've ever changed a TB was on my 1994 Integra GSR and it would never idle right after and was always causing issues. What TB did you go with, I want to research it. Thanks!
So far so good. The auto stop feature still works great also. The one from P2R

https://www.powerrevracing.com/J30AC...ody-p/p852.htm

The mechanic did mention the CEL came on after install but was able to clear it. I suspect the ECM detected the throttle body being unplugged during install, but nothing major.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

The mechanic did mention the CEL came on after install but was able to clear it. I suspect the ECM detected the throttle body being unplugged during install, but nothing major.
This is the YT video that originally inspired me to do the TB

Old 11-11-2022, 05:39 PM
Instructor

This is the YT video that originally inspired me to do the TB

https://youtu.be/op0bP94SrRQ
Thanks for sharing. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it once you've got a few thousand miles with it installed to see how you feel then.
Nick’s Type S (11-11-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Any new thoughts after driving with the new TB for awhile?
Old 11-15-2022, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

Any new thoughts after driving with the new TB for awhile?

Nothing new…everything is still running just fine. I usually don’t drive much during the week. If I notice any anomalies I’ll be sure to update you.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Nothing new…everything is still running just fine. I usually don’t drive much during the week. If I notice any anomalies I’ll be sure to update you.
Sounds good, thanks!
Old 11-22-2022, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
The ATLP exhaust is a bit pricey for me for what I'd get out of it performance wise. For that money I can upgrade the intercooler and get a custom downpipe with a boost actuated cutout. Those upgrades would probably do way more for the performance.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:32 AM
Intermediate

Hey man! Did you get the catback and A pipe installed?
Old 03-01-2023, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Hello! I wish! It keeps getting delayed but I "think" it will ship in a few weeks and I should be able to get it installed this month. I will surely report back once I do.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
I got my ATLP Catback and A pipe installed. I love it. Sounds so good. Check the type s Group on fb for the video

Quick Reply: 2021 TLX Type S downpipe advice needed