2021 TLX Reveal Countdown (05.28.20)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 02:53 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
So who is already planning to do a twin turbo setup on the type S?!

Just because it comes with one turbo doesn't mean we shouldn't add another one.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:56 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Great, that's the one thing i hate about the ZF9. That delay on acceleration sometimes. Drives me nuts. . .
I mean, maybe it's because i'm usually not driving around in sport plus mode, but that shouldn't really matter. I should drive around in sport plus for a week to see if it is any different.

I say ugly words really loudly when it happens.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rochester_eric
On the video, Marc Ernst said this new model shares virtually nothing with its predecessor or other models in the portfolio. To me, that's a huge red flag because I have no confidence the quality would be any better than the 2015 TLX POS I own.
I think that's hyperbole for a launch. Same engine/transmission/SH-AWD as the RDX with the first two also being used in the Accord. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all, it's nice to know that early adopters should not have engine/transmission issues that plagued the 2015 TLX. Certainly would have liked some more details around pricing and a more concrete release date but from a visual standpoint, I'm impressed.
The following 2 users liked this post by CollinR4:
a35tl (05-28-2020), internalaudit (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 03:05 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I think you're the last person I will correct on this.

NO TWIN TURBO.
Single turbo (twin scroll) possible E-turbo
Thanks for the correction. I was misinformed, but it is still a home run!
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Lots of time to perfect the 3.0 version. Apparently it won't be available until Spring 2021. And I think a 7 inch digital dash screen counts as a digital dash, with the Tach and Speedometer on either side.
internalaudit (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 03:29 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Test drive the rdx if you want to get a feel for the power of the engine.

What i really hope is they figured out how to diminish the throttle delay between time of input to the vehicle actually moving. I swear sometimes it lags for a whole second sometimes. My supercharged TL DOES NOT have that problem lol. Immediate response whenever you hit the pedal. That's one of the main things that annoys me in our RDX. It just doesn't move when you want it to move.

I fear this will still be a phenomenon in these new TLXs.
The video mentioned none of the RDX engineers were involved while those on the NSX were. We all hope it makes a big difference. Maybe they can fix the RDX too in that regard.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,160 Likes on 909 Posts

Nice, you can permanently disable AutoStart now. Finally. . .

unfortunately this doesn't mean that it's permanent. a lot of cars have this feature and when you turn it off, it comes back on by default the next time you turn the ignition on. i talked to a few people and they believe the same is true for the tlx...it resets every time you start the car. but we will see how the tlx is when it's released!!

the local acura parts manager has an sQ5 and it drives him nuts..

it's honestly almost a deal breaker for me but if the tech is good enough hopefully the auto stop at idle isn't too noticeable
Old 05-28-2020, 05:08 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
unfortunately this doesn't mean that it's permanent. a lot of cars have this feature and when you turn it off, it comes back on by default the next time you turn the ignition on. i talked to a few people and they believe the same is true for the tlx...it resets every time you start the car. but we will see how the tlx is when it's released!!

it's honestly almost a deal breaker for me but if the tech is good enough hopefully the auto stop at idle isn't too noticeable
You're probably right. I had this issue with the X3 and just had it coded to stay off unless I wanted it back on to press the button.
sockr1 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 05:10 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

What i really hope is they figured out how to diminish the throttle delay between time of input to the vehicle actually moving. I swear sometimes it lags for a whole second sometimes. My supercharged TL DOES NOT have that problem lol. Immediate response whenever you hit the pedal. That's one of the main things that annoys me in our RDX. It just doesn't move when you want it to move.

Have you looked into getting it tuned? Most that have similar issues that get tuned have it resolved.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:26 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
I love the start stop function on our CT200h and 16 RAV4H.

They're hybrids though so cool air would still come out even when the engine is shut off.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:20 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts

Nah, it wouldn't make sense to have that in the Individual menu then. There's already a physical button to turn it off on the dash. I think this would turn it off permanently.
The following 2 users liked this post by Speed_Racer:
nore03 (05-28-2020), sockr1 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:15 PM
tehLEGOman

Have you looked into getting it tuned? Most that have similar issues that get tuned have it resolved.
No, but we definitely would have the k tuner flash installed if it wasn't for the faulty infotainment. Folks are saying the throttle delay is eradicated with the tune which is cool. But, the wife says no tune for the rdx if they cant fix the infotainment issue. It's basically just getting us primed up for one of the type S offerings. Best case scenario would be to have both a rdx and tlx type S in the driveway, as well as the IS and white dragon.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:24 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
Need to hear the exhaust note pleaaaassseee. I’m looking forward to testing one out. Just got so bored with my 19 A-Spec SH-AWD. Beautiful to look at, boring to drive. Hoping the Type-S delivers on the performance, love the aesthetics from what I’ve seen. May not get the double takes of the ARs, but I’d definitely consider coming back if the specs are there and it makes me want to be in the cockpit like my ARs do.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:19 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

The 2.0T may be quicker 0-60 than the 3.5 V6, but the power delivery of the 2.0T in the RDX is bad. I had a loaner RDX and it was a huge disappointment. very laggy, sluggish, and unrefined. That RDX loaner experience totally turned me off on the 2.0T. If the 2021 TLX weighs less than the RDX, that might help, but I hope the engineers improved the transmission shift program and power delivery for the TLX application. Otherwise the 2.0T/10-speed combo will be trashed like the ZF9.

No, but we definitely would have the k tuner flash installed if it wasn't for the faulty infotainment. Folks are saying the throttle delay is eradicated with the tune which is cool. But, the wife says no tune for the rdx if they cant fix the infotainment issue. It's basically just getting us primed up for one of the type S offerings. Best case scenario would be to have both a rdx and tlx type S in the driveway, as well as the IS and white dragon.
What's the problem with the infotainment unit?
Old 05-29-2020, 05:23 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
So the cats out of the bag

https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/2021-tlx

Overall looks nice but those tail,lights remind of Fisker Karma :|

Old 05-29-2020, 09:02 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,614 Likes on 972 Posts
Originally Posted by technocrat
So the cats out of the bag

https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/2021-tlx

I am in love with Type-S but i don't mind A-SPEC either. the interior is just amazing. i would say better and more upscale than the RDX.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:50 AM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I am in love with Type-S but i don't mind A-SPEC either. the interior is just amazing. i would say better and more upscale than the RDX.
I agree! I will for sure have a type s in my driveway. I just can’t wait to see the full spec and accessory options.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:33 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,240 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Definitely going to be giving the new Type S a good look when it's available. I still love my 3G Type-S, but because of the pandemic and because I regularly WFH, I've only put 5400 miles on her in the past year - less than 400 in the past three months. So again, love her, but I've also been driving a 3G for 16+ years and think I'm ready for something new.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

man this car keeps growing on me and growing on me. that interior looks so refined and modern compared to my 08 type s. come 2023-2024 i'm going to have a hard decision to make...do i dump my 08 6mt type s that i bought new in 08 for the new tlx type s or do i stay old school with my manual. tough tough call, unfortunately can't have both due to high cost of living for me in san diego (and i hate not having a car in a garage)

Nah, it wouldn't make sense to have that in the Individual menu then. There's already a physical button to turn it off on the dash. I think this would turn it off permanently.
that's what i'm hoping as well! i hate that auto stop with a passion haha.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:50 AM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
man this car keeps growing on me and growing on me. that interior looks so refined and modern compared to my 08 type s. come 2023-2024 i'm going to have a hard decision to make...do i dump my 08 6mt type s that i bought new in 08 for the new tlx type s or do i stay old school with my manual. tough tough call, unfortunately can't have both due to high cost of living for me in san diego (and i hate not having a car in a garage)

You could move to Montana and then BOOM you can have both cars
Old 05-29-2020, 11:52 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

Keep your current Type S and buy the new TLX type S. that way you have two generations of Type S's
a35tl (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
You could move to Montana and then BOOM you can have both cars
hahaa i've been told this many times...move to "any state other than california, hawaii, and NY" and you can have both
Old 05-30-2020, 08:16 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by technocrat

In the up close walk around videos it gives you a better look at the rear tail lights. I am not a fan of bulbous tail lights that are not flush with the body. It reminds me of an insects eyes.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
From every car I have seen if it has auto start stop it always defaults to back on when the car is cycled off. BUT there is always a hack to keep it off. The RDX open the hood then start the car with the hood open and then shut the hood. The auto start stop is disabled and thinks it is in mechanic mode and will stay that way until you open and shut the hood with the car running before you open it. Just 1 example.
The following 4 users liked this post by Taz69:
a35tl (05-31-2020), internalaudit (06-04-2020), jas5lf (05-31-2020), sockr1 (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 02:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
If it can't be programmed off, the it's one button to press when starting up the car. 2 seconds of your time. I do it every time I get into my 2.4 for Brakehold.....it's automatic.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Taz69
From every car I have seen if it has auto start stop it always defaults to back on when the car is cycled off. BUT there is always a hack to keep it off. The RDX open the hood then start the car with the hood open and then shut the hood. The auto start stop is disabled and thinks it is in mechanic mode and will stay that way until you open and shut the hood with the car running before you open it. Just 1 example.
Tried it...doesn't work on a 2018 TLX
Old 06-03-2020, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Totally agree with you. Unfortunately today, consumers that are willing to spend 50-60K want the most bang for buck. The perfect example of this is the Stinger GT2. It fits in that price bracket and has options that i'm also for sure the TLX-S won't have. Things like heads up display & 4 wheel brembo brakes. The 2021 Stinger will come with a full digital cluster. The TLX-S will compete with the S4, C43 and the M340i. All are optional with heads up display, digital gauge clusters and as stupid as it seems, even real or fake leather wrapped dashboards which is a nice touch IMO. I know the Stinger isn't in the same class, but for a GT2 it comes fully loaded with options that grabs the attention of car enthusiasts that want the most bang for their buck. The deals are out there, a brand new GT2 stinger for $47,971 and that is a lot of vehicle for a great price. https://www.hendrickkia.com/inventor...e55lc2l6072147 . The consumers want as much as they can get for their dollar. Acura really needs this to hit a home run. I'll be honest with you. As someone who owns a vehicle with things like cooled seats, pano roof, heads up display ect. I couldn't go to another vehicle without them. I own a 6MT supercharged TL, it's fun but some of these new automatic transmissions are on point.
You might have it in your head that the Stinger is all that a bag of chips but no one is buying them. The sales are horrible let alone the GT2 trim level. https://www.motortrend.com/news/kia-...%20Car%20Blog.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:42 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
I'm sure the KIA badge is holding it back. Lots of keyboard warriors praise this car but they ain't buying them.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:18 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Nexx
You might have it in your head that the Stinger is all that a bag of chips but no one is buying them. The sales are horrible let alone the GT2 trim level. https://www.motortrend.com/news/kia-...%20Car%20Blog.

Originally Posted by dmski
I'm sure the KIA badge is holding it back. Lots of keyboard warriors praise this car but they ain't buying them.
As DMSKI said, the issue is the badge not the car. As long as dealerships keep them discounted, they are worth the price. I can only speak for the enthusiasts who bought the stinger, they said they would, and they did. Those guys are KIA loyal. Going from an Optima to a Stinger was a no brainer to them. I looked into buying one but the wife refused the idea of owning it. She did just fine with a fully loaded 19 X3 M40i.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:54 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
As DMSKI said, the issue is the badge not the car. As long as dealerships keep them discounted, they are worth the price. I can only speak for the enthusiasts who bought the stinger, they said they would, and they did. Those guys are KIA loyal. Going from an Optima to a Stinger was a no brainer to them. I looked into buying one but the wife refused the idea of owning it. She did just fine with a fully loaded 19 X3 M40i.
The Stinger is interesting, because the more expensive GT versions actually sell better than the 2.0T, which KIA didn't expect. While the KIA badge does hold the Stinger back overall, I think with the 2.0T it's partly the car, or, more specifically, the engine. It's not bad by any means. I'd call it adequate, but it doesn't match the excellent 2.0T motors from Honda and BMW. (I've tried this engine in the Stinger and MT and AWD versions of the G70. Same reaction each time.)

This will be fixed for 2021, when the Stinger will get the corporate 2.5T/8DCT drivetrain. If they add modern safety tech as standard and hold the line on price, I'll be very tempted. Even with the 2.0T, I loved the car overall.
04WDPSeDaN (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 10:04 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by Carnage719
The 2.0T may be quicker 0-60 than the 3.5 V6, but the power delivery of the 2.0T in the RDX is bad. I had a loaner RDX and it was a huge disappointment. very laggy, sluggish, and unrefined. That RDX loaner experience totally turned me off on the 2.0T. If the 2021 TLX weighs less than the RDX, that might help, but I hope the engineers improved the transmission shift program and power delivery for the TLX application. Otherwise the 2.0T/10-speed combo will be trashed like the ZF9.

What's the problem with the infotainment unit?
You really want to know?! lol

Well, it comes on whenever it decides to. Sometimes it doesn't turn on. Sometimes it flashes. Sometimes it is a white fuzzy screen of thousands of small colored pixels.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,440 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Badge prestige aside, the Kia dealership service really does hold them back. The ones in my area are all very sleezy and still treat their customers as if they're undeducated bumpkins with nary a penny to their name (though in their defense, that's who they've historically dealt with). It's almost like they don't know how to interact with the new customers that cars like the Stinger are bringing into the showrooms.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:29 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Badge prestige aside, the Kia dealership service really does hold them back. The ones in my area are all very sleezy and still treat their customers as if they're undeducated bumpkins with nary a penny to their name (though in their defense, that's who they've historically dealt with). It's almost like they don't know how to interact with the new customers that cars like the Stinger are bringing into the showrooms.
You know what, you're 100% correct! I forgot how terrible their dealerships are. That's one thing I certainly wont miss.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:32 AM
Racer

You really want to know?! lol

Well, it comes on whenever it decides to. Sometimes it doesn't turn on. Sometimes it flashes. Sometimes it is a white fuzzy screen of thousands of small colored pixels.
Has the dealership's service figured out why and fixed or replaced?
Old 06-04-2020, 08:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I've heard that about both Hyundai and Kia dealerships.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
Which says what about a upper $50,000 TLX?
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (06-04-2020), pyrodan007 (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Which says what about a upper $50,000 TLX?
VM also has it's problem of having a top tiered model in an unmatched price bracket for brand. Curious how this will do in the future, could be a Type-S competitor if a proper R model comes to NA.
https://www.motor1.com/news/426650/2...arteon-teaser/

That's why Acura needs to nail the features to make it worth the price. At a certain point, mechanics cannot make up for interior/tech being behind the competition. Older drivers may love the powertrain, but younger folks from premium brands may not have a good opinion of the interior. That's the part you use daily, not really the power of the engine. The wife factor is a major selling factor, she loves the interior of our A4. Could be a breaking point.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 06-04-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Before making too many assumptions, let’s wait. We all saw what Acura has done in the last 24 months.
1. RDX - Huge success and company is going towards the right direction.
2. TLX - new engine, beautiful interior and the return of Type S.
3. The new MDX and MDX Type S. The car looks amazing and it will give cars like X5 and GLE a hard time, just like RDX did to Q5,X3 and GLC.
4. New sedan 2022, this will be another pleasant surprise.

Acura is set this time and they will give us the right price and product. If you watch the dealers webcast, then you know acura isn’t joking this time. Also, look at Infiniti, it’s becoming Nissan Plus, whereas acura is moving to target the right customers and produce the relavant cars.

A very important point to remember, the new RDX was priced higher than the previous gen. Many, many of us said, it won’t sell. Acura is unreasonable. Now let’s look back and see. Acura was right and we were wrong. The car is a major success and selling over 60K units two years in a row. No fluke!

Real buyers see the value of Acura and get the car. Window shoppers just point the negatives and make excuses. Like many of us here kept saying the RDX sales will be down soon as it has many problems. What happened to that argument? And what happened to QX50? Those that were saying Infiniti makes luxury cars and they will win the race 😜

Last edited by Tony Pac; 06-06-2020 at 09:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
benjaminh (06-06-2020), Pens Fan (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 02:05 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Before making too many assumptions, let’s wait. We all saw what Acura has done in the last 24 months.
1. RDX - Huge success and company is going towards the right direction.
2. TLX - new engine, beautiful interior and the return of Type S.
3. The new MDX and MDX Type S. The car looks amazing and it will give cars like X5 and GLE a hard time, just like RDX did to Q5,X3 and GLC.
4. New sedan 2022, this will be another pleasant surprise.

Acura is set this time and they will give us the right price and product. If you watch the dealers webcast, then you know acura isn’t joking this time. Also, look at Infiniti, it’s becoming Nissan Plus, whereas acura is moving to target the right customers and produce the relavant cars.

A very important point to remember, the new RDX was priced higher than the previous gen. Many, many of us said, it won’t sell. Acura is unreasonable. Now let’s look back and see. Acura was right and we were wrong. The car is a major success and selling over 60K units two years in a row. No fluke!

Real buyers see the value of Acura and get the car. Window shoppers just point the negatives and make excuses. Like many of us here kept saying the RDX sales will be down soon as it has many problems. What happened to that argument? And what happened to QX50? Those that were saying Infiniti makes luxury cars and they will win the race 😜
I hope you're one of the 1st ones at the dealership front door to purchase the type-s. Keep us posted, we are all counting on you!
Old 06-06-2020, 03:36 PM
AZ Community Team

I hope you're one of the 1st ones at the dealership front door to purchase the type-s. Keep us posted, we are all counting on you!
if not the first one, I will be one of them. Until I don’t see all the details, I won’t make any unnecessary assumptions either. I will
wait and see. Stay tune I am sure it will surprise you just like the RDX did

Quick Reply: 2021 TLX Reveal Countdown (05.28.20)