2021 TLX Reveal Countdown (05.28.20)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 12:12 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Frankly I'm surprised the Accord still has one. The only way that's viable is because it's a mass market car - I'd still be shocked if 5% of Accords are sold with an MT.
Neuronbob posted that of 291,071 2018 Accords 746 were 2.0T manuals. 0.25%! That's just ridiculously rare.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,614 Likes on 972 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Frankly I'm surprised the Accord still has one. The only way that's viable is because it's a mass market car - I'd still be shocked if 5% of Accords are sold with an MT.
Probably you're right!

Just look at used car sales. Date range 2018-2020 for Accord in Toronto region (I chose Toronto over Montreal, as TO a bigger market).
73 MT vs 831 AT. Around 8%. Of course this isn't representative of USA and all other CDN cities. But still it gives us an idea. Why any car manufacturer make MT?
Old 05-27-2020, 03:10 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
I'd say Audi has the best digital gauge cluster in the industry with their virtual cockpit.(Excluding Tesla Model S, which isn't in the same price league) When I test drove the new 330xi, their version of the virtual cockpit is pale in comparison. It's a $1,100 option to add it and felt like more like a gimmick than it being functional.
I’m currently driving an A4 with the virtual cockpit. It’s really very good. I don’t think I’d go back to a cockpit without some sort of digital layout. Acura’s does look cool so I’d have to see it in person. I would have to believe within the next 5 years most analogs with be gone in most higher end cars. The bmw cockpit doesnt get the same positive reviews as the Audi. Audi was pretty much the first out there with an all digital display
Old 05-27-2020, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
IF the TLX ends up being 50-60K, having such features for the price tag is what the consumers want now a days. The stinger is being refreshed and made changes to keep up with the industry. I'll be honest with you. I wasn't a fan of digital gauge clusters (not a fan of certain models), but I will say my X3 has one of the best digital gauge clusters (2018-2019). I'm not a fan of the 2020+ clusters. It's best to assume at some point for enthusiasts wanting more performance, to wait and see if the aftermarket support will be available. Keep in mind, this is a tremendous step forward for Acura and they are doing things out of the bread and butter cookie cutter builds. It's too soon to assume certain things, so only time will tell.
Agreed! I'd push the button! Acura is going back to their roots but also keeping with what sells (RDX/MDX). As much as I would like a MT, I'm ok with not having it. Acura/Honda have extra money now that the RLX is gone. Their focus has changed as it should have. As far as the interiors gone on the TLX-S. Just make sure the interior is durable (no cracking dashes or ripped leather seats LOL) Digital dash is not mandatory. Keep it simple. Driving experience. Comfort. Looks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yoggibearlegend93:
04WDPSeDaN (05-27-2020), internalaudit (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 04:28 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoggibearlegend93
Agreed! I'd push the button! Acura is going back to their roots but also keeping with what sells (RDX/MDX). As much as I would like a MT, I'm ok with not having it. Acura/Honda have extra money now that the RLX is gone. Their focus has changed as it should have. As far as the interiors gone on the TLX-S. Just make sure the interior is durable (no cracking dashes or ripped leather seats LOL) Digital dash is not mandatory. Keep it simple. Driving experience. Comfort. Looks.
Totally agree with you. Unfortunately today, consumers that are willing to spend 50-60K want the most bang for buck. The perfect example of this is the Stinger GT2. It fits in that price bracket and has options that i'm also for sure the TLX-S won't have. Things like heads up display & 4 wheel brembo brakes. The 2021 Stinger will come with a full digital cluster. The TLX-S will compete with the S4, C43 and the M340i. All are optional with heads up display, digital gauge clusters and as stupid as it seems, even real or fake leather wrapped dashboards which is a nice touch IMO. I know the Stinger isn't in the same class, but for a GT2 it comes fully loaded with options that grabs the attention of car enthusiasts that want the most bang for their buck. The deals are out there, a brand new GT2 stinger for $47,971 and that is a lot of vehicle for a great price. https://www.hendrickkia.com/inventor...e55lc2l6072147 . The consumers want as much as they can get for their dollar. Acura really needs this to hit a home run. I'll be honest with you. As someone who owns a vehicle with things like cooled seats, pano roof, heads up display ect. I couldn't go to another vehicle without them. I own a 6MT supercharged TL, it's fun but some of these new automatic transmissions are on point.
The following 3 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
internalaudit (05-27-2020), nist7 (05-27-2020), Yoggibearlegend93 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
This is what 2020 looks like right now - its very tough out there for Acura so 2021 really needs to be a winner.

U.S. News & World Report

Cars & Trucks (suv) rankings

What they said:
When you need a new car, it’s tempting to buy the cheapest one you can. As long as a car gets you from point A to point B, the thinking goes, it’s good enough. Though there is some truth to that argument, it doesn’t take the full picture of owning and living with a car into account. That car with the super-low price tag might be a bear to insure. It might leave you with hefty repair bills, or it might guzzle gas.

That car might not meet your daily needs either. Your family may hate being crammed in its small back seat, it might not have all the cargo space you need, or its harsh ride or underpowered engine might turn your commute into a slog. That cheap car may also lack the latest safety equipment, and while it’s true that you can drive without a suite of in-car connectivity apps, they do make finding your way a lot easier and the trip more pleasant.

Finding the balance between a good car and a cheap car is where the Best Cars for the Money awards come in. The awards cover 11 different automotive classes. The winners have the best combination of quality and value in their respective classes, so they’re all good cars that are also good long-term deals.

How We Measured Quality

To measure a vehicle’s quality, we use the overall score from the U.S. News Best Car rankings. A model’s overall score in our vehicle rankings isn’t based on the opinions or tests of U.S. News editors. Instead, we collect and analyze every published, credible review of a given model to get the consensus of the automotive press on things like how well a car drives, how comfortable its interior is, and how well its connectivity and tech features work. We combine that analysis with safety and reliability data to get a numerical overall score, which we use to measure quality in the Best Cars for the Money awards.

How We Measured Value

The actual cost of a car is much more than just the final negotiated price. A car has significant ongoing costs, like repairs, fuel, and insurance. To measure the kind of value a car offers, we start with real-time transaction prices reported by our partner TrueCar. We then combine that information with five-year total ownership costs from Vincentric. Those two measures together provide a car’s value score for the Best Cars for the Money.

How they did the rankingsOur new car rankings are based on two types of information: published reviews from respected automotive critics and data from third-party sources.

For each new car in the U.S. News rankings, our editors analyze credible reviews about the new car to assign a score that represents what professional critics say about it. The reviews are gathered from major newspapers, magazines, and automotive websites. For each third-party review, we score the car on three different components:
  • Performance. The performance score represents the reviewer's written assessment of a car's handling, braking, acceleration, ride quality, and other qualitative performance measures.
  • Interior. The interior score represents the reviewer's written assessment of the car's interior comfort, features, cargo space, styling, and build quality.
  • Critics' Rating. This represents the overall tone and recommendation level reviewers place on a car.
In addition to the analysis of professional reviews, we add information of particular interest to new-car shoppers, such as safety, reliability, fuel economy, cargo, and towing/hauling capacity data, that isn't always part of the critics' qualitative reviews.
  • Safety. The safety score is based on two elements: crash test results from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the number of advanced accident-avoidance technologies, such as forward collision warning, emergency automatic braking, lane keep assist, and others, that come standard with the vehicle.
  • Reliability. The reliability score contributing to the U.S. News new car rankings is the Predicted Reliability rating provided by J.D. Power. This score is based on the past three years of historical initial quality and dependability data from J.D. Power's automotive studies, specifically the Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) and the Initial Quality Study (IQS).
  • Fuel Economy. A component of the performance score, the fuel economy score is based on the combined mpg estimate for the model’s base trim with an automatic transmission, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.
  • Cargo and Towing/Hauling. These figures come from each manufacturer’s media site. Towing and hauling data is gathered only for pickup trucks.
  • Awards. Cars that win major automotive industry awards, such as the Motor Trend Car of the Year and North American Car of the Year, receive a bump in their recommendation score to reflect the importance of these awards.
We combine these scores in a formula with weightings that vary by vehicle class. This means that sports cars are evaluated differently than minivans, for example, to line up with shoppers’ expectations for each segment. The result is an overall score for each new car, which allows us to make head-to-head comparisons of new vehicles within a particular class, ranking them against each other. The overall score and each component score ranges from zero to 10, with 10 being the best possible score.

The rankings are continually updated based on the latest information coming in from third-party reviews and data sources. As new cars enter the market, they are added to the rankings and affect how the vehicles stack up against one another. Check back periodically to see how the latest U.S. News Car Rankings are shaping up.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-27-2020 at 07:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (05-27-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Totally agree with you. Unfortunately today, consumers that are willing to spend 50-60K want the most bang for buck. The perfect example of this is the Stinger GT2. It fits in that price bracket and has options that i'm also for sure the TLX-S won't have. Things like heads up display & 4 wheel brembo brakes. The 2021 Stinger will come with a full digital cluster. The TLX-S will compete with the S4, C43 and the M340i. All are optional with heads up display, digital gauge clusters and as stupid as it seems, even real or fake leather wrapped dashboards which is a nice touch IMO. I know the Stinger isn't in the same class, but for a GT2 it comes fully loaded with options that grabs the attention of car enthusiasts that want the most bang for their buck. The deals are out there, a brand new GT2 stinger for $47,971 and that is a lot of vehicle for a great price. https://www.hendrickkia.com/inventor...e55lc2l6072147 . The consumers want as much as they can get for their dollar. Acura really needs this to hit a home run. I'll be honest with you. As someone who owns a vehicle with things like cooled seats, pano roof, heads up display ect. I couldn't go to another vehicle without them. I own a 6MT supercharged TL, it's fun but some of these new automatic transmissions are on point.
I have told myself if Acura hadn't planned on building another Type-S I would have gone to a Audi S4. Preferably, a B8 S4. Its design looks similar to our TL-S. I've driven my friends 2014. The power, handling, and interior have aged quite well. Haven't driven a new S4 yet. As for the Stinger. My only gripe is the rear styling. I have to see it up close. I've seen a couple in my area in a gray color similar to the Destroyer gray on the Dodge vehicles. I really like it in that color. let's hope for a great reveal today!
The following 2 users liked this post by Yoggibearlegend93:
04WDPSeDaN (05-28-2020), internalaudit (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:29 AM
AZ Community Team

3.5 Hours left guys!

I am beyond excited. ...enough of guessing hahah
CollinR4 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,440 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Word on the street is that we won't find out specs or pricing on the Type-S, so adjust your expectations accordingly.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:07 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Maybe they are now considering >400 HP and adding digital clusters. We're a nice focus group to have.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Word on the street is that we won't find out specs or pricing on the Type-S, so adjust your expectations accordingly.
That's what I have heard as well. But at least we will see the real car and not just pics. We will get some clarity.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by internalaudit
Maybe they are now considering >400 HP and adding digital clusters. We're a nice focus group to have.
I'm pretty confident if they used AZ as a focus group we'd end up with something like The Homer

The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
internalaudit (05-28-2020), mapleloaf (05-28-2020), sonyfever (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 10:52 AM
Safety Car

Nissan just teased the new 400Z. Can't help but to wonder if they specifically chose today to try to steal some of Acura's thunder. Hopefully it's not 2015 all over again.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Bummer. I think most of us are waiting for the TL-S specs.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Like the rest of you I am looking forward to the reveal, knowing that the Type S will likely be available in late fall and the 2.0 turbo sometime before that. However, as I feel that the current TLX gets a rough ride (ironically) by many here, I just want to reiterate that my 2018 Elite Bellanova Elite ASPEC is one of the nicest looking vehicles on the road today, and gets a lot of positive comments. Yes, I know my interior is apparently dated, but there is so much I like about it, I won't bore you with the details. I hope the new TLX 2.0 turbo is as bullet proof as my 2.4 car has been for the 21 months I have enjoyed leasing, so that I can look forward to a change in a year or two. Now, bring it on
internalaudit (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:21 AM
Racer

Why become a member of Acurazine just to bash another fellow member's ride?

I was only allowed here because my dad got me a 95' Integra LS 4AT back in those days. I only have a lowly 11 Accord I4 coupe and two "Toyota's".
mapleloaf (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:22 AM
AZ Community Team

Nissan just teased the new 400Z. Can't help but to wonder if they specifically chose today to try to steal some of Acura's thunder. Hopefully it's not 2015 all over again.

for sure they did that to take some Honda/Acura thunder. Also, they said there will be a new QX60. But honestly, no one cares for Nissan at this moment.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
Does anyone have a link for the unveiling?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CollinR4
Does anyone have a link for the unveiling?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K47n...REBCsMDjzDxHzo
CollinR4 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 12:04 PM
Racer

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...essive-styling
Old 05-28-2020, 12:05 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by ACCURATEin:
04WDPSeDaN (05-28-2020), 9SpeedTran (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 12:07 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by internalaudit
Why become a member of Acurazine just to bash another fellow member's ride?

I was only allowed here because my dad got me a 95' Integra LS 4AT back in those days. I only have a lowly 11 Accord I4 coupe and two "Toyota's".
Maybe I missed the post but what happened?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:08 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Thanks Eric!
Old 05-28-2020, 12:20 PM
Safety Car

Unless I missed something, no info on pricing?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:21 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
No mention of output of the twin-turbo V6.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:25 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
The 3.0 turbo v6 is the first DOHC V6 outside of the NSX that Acura has ever made. Excited to see the eventual specs. Tuning potential should be awesome too!
Old 05-28-2020, 12:30 PM
Uber-Acura-Oakley

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cbptls
Totally.

I like the comment at 13:46 --> "We want the Type S to be our Phoenix"

Can't wait until the numbers and performance results come out later...Make it "halo" happen Acura...
Old 05-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Correct. No info on pricing, and no power and torque figures for Type-S: https://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1417598

I've been concerned it would be too big for me, and it probably is. At 194.6" long I'm not sure it would fit into our garage, and it could be a nightmare to park on the street in Philly. The enormous width is a real issue too. A new ILX can't come soon enough. I think this new TLX looks really cool though, and no question I'll test one ASAP.

Last edited by Nedmundo; 05-28-2020 at 12:38 PM.
ESHBG (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 12:59 PM
Racer

Starts in the mid$30's it says, so $2-4k above the current one?

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...essive-styling

the 2021 TLX will arrive at dealerships early this fall with a manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) starting in the mid-$30,000 range.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:00 PM
Racer

Maybe I missed the post but what happened?
Nothing LOL. No fight broke out haha.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:01 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by cbptls

No Twin turbo

Single turbo very likely to be an E-Turbo
loki (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
As a 4 cylinder guy, count me very impressed with the 2.0 car. From what I've heard, both the 2.0 and the 3.0 are true "sport" sedans. I think they will sell a lot of the ASpec 2.0....what will I do with all that power and torque? The advanced air bag design is a nice added bonus, along with the individual dynamic mode and the thematic approach to providing multiple lighting packages. Other than a full digital dash, I see lots to laud and little to complain about for most of us. Can't tell if the 3.0 has one, but honestly, its all about the looks, materials, and driving dynamics.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Inquiring minds would like to know if they finally added a power adjustable steering wheel :p. I always found it kind of odd that they would have memory settings for the seats and mirrors, but you still have to manually adjust the steering wheel when switching back and forth between drivers.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:06 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
The new TLX Type S is sooooo stunning and comes with v6tt and shawd? SOLD!
Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
The new TLX Type S is sooooo stunning and comes with v6tt and shawd? SOLD!
I think you're the last person I will correct on this.

NO TWIN TURBO.
Single turbo (twin scroll) possible E-turbo
sockr1 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:17 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Nice, you can permanently disable AutoStart now. Finally. . .

The following 2 users liked this post by Speed_Racer:
04WDPSeDaN (05-28-2020), internalaudit (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Nice, you can permanently disable AutoStart now. Finally. . .

I would hate to choose the abnormal engine setting.
Midwestuser1 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:28 PM
2015 Advance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the video, Marc Ernst said this new model shares virtually nothing with its predecessor or other models in the portfolio. To me, that's a huge red flag because I have no confidence the quality would be any better than the 2015 TLX POS I own.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:50 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Test drive the rdx if you want to get a feel for the power of the engine.

What i really hope is they figured out how to diminish the throttle delay between time of input to the vehicle actually moving. I swear sometimes it lags for a whole second sometimes. My supercharged TL DOES NOT have that problem lol. Immediate response whenever you hit the pedal. That's one of the main things that annoys me in our RDX. It just doesn't move when you want it to move.

I fear this will still be a phenomenon in these new TLXs.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:52 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Test drive the rdx if you want to get a feel for the power of the engine.

What i really hope is they figured out how to diminish the throttle delay between time of input to the vehicle actually moving. I swear sometimes it lags for a whole second sometimes. My supercharged TL DOES NOT have that problem lol. Immediate response whenever you hit the pedal. That's one of the main things that annoys me in our RDX. It just doesn't move when you want it to move.

I fear this will still be a phenomenon in these new TLXs.
Great, that's the one thing i hate about the ZF9. That delay on acceleration sometimes. Drives me nuts. . .

Quick Reply: 2021 TLX Reveal Countdown (05.28.20)