2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 09:32 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
I find it hard to believe that you know all of my posts, especially considering how long I have been around here and how many Honda/Acura vehicles I have owned and driven.

The Type-S was hyped up to be THE performance vehicle and it fell flat. Add in that it's missing some options for its price point and I stand by that overall it's kind of a flop in comparison to what it was made out to be. The argument from the boosters is that it checks all of the right boxes for them and that's fine, but as long as being a speedy leader in its class isn't one of them I guess. The MDX-S is falling short in this category also. And oddly as of now there is no RDX-S in the works so that tells me some things too.
What kind of performance numbers would meet your personal criteria on what a performance vehicle is so we can check off your box.

Last edited by richii0207; 04-10-2022 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I believe the common thought process to the RDX-S was that we will see one once the new RDX models come out. The MDX and TLX were all new platforms while the RDX is running at its end.
Possibly, but didn't they build the current RDX so that a bigger engine would already fit? They made a PMC for it also. It just seems odd to me that with one of their top sellers that could make a pretty nice Type-S is being skipped.

Originally Posted by richii0207
What kind of performance numbers would meet your personal criteria on what a performance vehicle is so we can check off your box.
Better than the current numbers, especially with all of the hype behind it. But it goes beyond that for me and the lacking options at that price point is a miss.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Possibly, but didn't they build the current RDX so that a bigger engine would already fit? They made a PMC for it also. It just seems odd to me that with one of their top sellers that could make a pretty nice Type-S is being skipped.

Better than the current numbers, especially with all of the hype behind it. But it goes beyond that for me and the lacking options at that price point is a miss.
There would still be effort needed to do this and doing so on an outgoing platform isn’t logical for them in terms of business standpoint. Acura wants to make a Type S of every model so it’s coming but just not until the new model.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:59 AM
Pro

How is it that “boosters” get argued against when a vehicle checks all their boxes but that same vehicle is a flop because it did not for you? You are basically stating that the vehicle is not right for you, since you wanted more.

That’s why there are different vehicles and brands, not everyone drives the same car… the car is not what you like, move on. We’re not here to convince you that somehow the car will be the right fit for you and that you should purchase it. This is akin to trying to convince someone who bought an X5M that an M4 is more sporty with better performance numbers. Not everyone has your same taste/preference, that’s how the world is. That’s why some people buy a Model S, and others buy a 911.

Last edited by richii0207; 04-11-2022 at 10:03 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by richii0207:
a35tl (04-11-2022), Colorado Guy AF Ret. (04-11-2022), Honda430 (04-11-2022), MarcoTLX (04-12-2022), Tony Pac (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

How is it that “boosters” get argued against when a vehicle checks all their boxes but that same vehicle is a flop because it did not for you? You are basically stating that the vehicle is not right for you, since you wanted more.

That’s why there are different vehicles and brands, not everyone drives the same car… the car is not what you like, move on. We’re not here to convince you that somehow the car will be the right fit for you and that you should purchase it. This is akin to trying to convince someone who bought an SUV that a coupe is more sporty with better performance numbers.
The usual tactic from your side and after going around in circles with subjectivity states the famous "move on" in the end. I am glad that this car checks all your boxes and is right for you but I stand by my feelings that outside of the way that it looks, as it really is a nice looking car, it missed the mark in a few ways that I have listed many times in the past so I won't rehash it again.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts

That’s why there are different vehicles and brands, not everyone drives the same car… the car is not what you like, move on. We’re not here to convince you that somehow the car will be the right fit for you and that you should purchase it. This is akin to trying to convince someone who bought an X5M that an M4 is more sporty with better performance numbers. Not everyone has your same taste/preference, that’s how the world is. That’s why some people buy a Model S, and others buy a 911.

Man well said! That's the issue with people here. If a car is not meeting your requirement. Move on! Exactly.

I think you need a PHD to understand that lol!
The following users liked this post:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:32 AM
Pro

The usual tactic from your side and after going around in circles with subjectivity states the famous "move on" in the end. I am glad that this car checks all your boxes and is right for you but I stand by my feelings that outside of the way that it looks, as it really is a nice looking car, it missed the mark in a few ways that I have listed many times in the past so I won't rehash it again.
My side? You mean those who are enthusiasts of the vehicle? If you want to alienate us then sure, call owners who enjoy their ride whatever term pleases you. The usual tactic from “your side” is that everyone should cater to your needs. This ain’t the car for you, which you clearly state.

What are you looking to obtain by rehashing the same melancholic tone over and over again? You even start complaining on the Integra section stating that it didn’t meet your expectations. I hate to say it but not everything revolves around you. You don’t always have to be a Debbie Downer on everything. Perhaps you can contribute with some new material instead of just reposting the same thing. My posts may be redundant, but keep in mind that they are replies to your posts, so if you think I’m repetitive, then the message they are replying to is just as repetitive.

Last edited by richii0207; 04-11-2022 at 10:37 AM.
a35tl (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
There would still be effort needed to do this and doing so on an outgoing platform isn’t logical for them in terms of business standpoint. Acura wants to make a Type S of every model so it’s coming but just not until the new model.
Waiting for the 4G RDX might be too little too late. It’s a foregone conclusion that if you want performance, electrification is the way to go. By the time the 4G comes out, the J30 is going to be outdated (it barely holds serve today as is). Given that Acura said they’re going straight to full EVs, I don’t see any electrification in the works for the RDX, and as such I suspect the Germans are going to (continue) leaving it in the dust.
KrylonBlue (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

My side? You mean those who are enthusiasts of the vehicle? If you want to alienate us then sure, call owners who enjoy their ride whatever term pleases you. The usual tactic from “your side” is that everyone should cater to your needs. This ain’t the car for you, which you clearly state.

What are you looking to obtain by rehashing the same melancholic tone over and over again? You even start complaining on the Integra section stating that it didn’t meet your expectations. I hate to say it but not everything revolves around you. You don’t always have to be a Debbie Downer on everything. Perhaps you can contribute with some new material instead of just reposting the same thing. My posts may be redundant, but keep in mind that they are replies to your posts, so if you think I’m repetitive, then the message they are replying to is just as repetitive.
No, just those who think that only their opinion matters, denies facts, etc. I do not begrudge anyone who thinks that this car is for them and I was hoping that it would be for me also and so that I could stay with the brand. But let's take my thoughts out of the equation, this car is not that big of a seller and even its own makers decided to dump resources elsewhere. So what does that say?

Oh wow really, not everything revolves around me? And here I thought that an entire car company should take me and only me into consideration /s

One of my favorite parts about this forum is how honest criticism and saying wow this could have been better leads to these silly Debbie Downer comments. And Acura revised the Integra name and put a CVT in it, that is lame and again misses the mark and falls short of what the car could be.

What are you looking for exactly, an echo chamber? If you are it doesn't seem like you have enough owners to create that, though, so bad news for you I guess.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
No, just those who think that only their opinion matters, denies facts, etc. I do not begrudge anyone who thinks that this car is for them and I was hoping that it would be for me also and so that I could stay with the brand. But let's take my thoughts out of the equation, this car is not that big of a seller and even its own makers decided to dump resources elsewhere. So what does that say?

Oh wow really, not everything revolves around me? And here I thought that an entire car company should take me and only me into consideration /s

One of my favorite parts about this forum is how honest criticism and saying wow this could have been better leads to these silly Debbie Downer comments. And Acura revised the Integra name and put a CVT in it, that is lame and again misses the mark and falls short of what the car could be.

What are you looking for exactly, an echo chamber? If you are it doesn't seem like you have enough owners to create that, though, so bad news for you I guess.
Going back to the original post it looks like the guy said the same thing about the TLX S as he did about the 4 cylinder Stinger in the vid

Marketing was over done and neither car lives up to the hype, Both good cars but not high performers as.advertised.

Also said the rear drive 4 cylinder sucked because it drove like a FWD. Guess that went over well with the mainstream TLX owners.

ESHBG (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 02:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Going back to the original post it looks like the guy said the same thing about the TLX S as he did about the 4 cylinder Stinger in the vid

Marketing was over done and neither car lives up to the hype, Both good cars but not high performers as.advertised.

Also said the rear drive 4 cylinder sucked because it drove like a FWD. Guess that went over well with the mainstream TLX owners.
Right, and exactly my point. But of course I am just a hater and need to move on
Old 04-11-2022, 03:01 PM
Pro

The V6 Stinger brings great value at the price range. The question is if Kia has established a name for themselves as a driver’s car for those willing to commit to the price. The same goes for Hyundai and their N lines . This is why Honda, Toyota, and Nissan made their luxury brands.

The question is, how do you market a performance/sports car without people calling it market hype?
Old 04-11-2022, 03:18 PM
Safety Car

The V6 Stinger brings great value at the price range. The question is if Kia has established a name for themselves as a driver’s car for those willing to commit to the price. The same goes for Hyundai and their N lines . This is why Honda, Toyota, and Nissan made their luxury brands.

The question is, how do you market a performance/sports car without people calling it market hype?
By delivering the goods.

But in the case of the Stinger, I think they might be more of a victim of journalists than of Kia's marketing. I actually don't know that I've even seen any marketing content for the Stinger...everything I've heard about the car has been from journalists who generally fawned over it. Mark has been the notable exception.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fiatlux
By delivering the goods.

But in the case of the Stinger, I think they might be more of a victim of journalists than of Kia's marketing. I actually don't know that I've even seen any marketing content for the Stinger...everything I've heard about the car has been from journalists who generally fawned over it. Mark has been the notable exception.
Care to elaborate? what goods?
Legend2TL (04-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

Care to elaborate? what goods?
You're asking how to avoid your marketing campaign from devolving into hype. The answer is by living up to what you're claiming to sell. If the Type S had performed as well as Acura's marketing campaign had (in this case) hyped it up to (i.e. a track performer that can trade punches with other cars in its class, like the M340i), people wouldn't be calling it marketing hype. Even the fanboys concede that Acura mismarketed the car, and that absent the marketing hype the car is pretty good for what it is, and it's only a disappointment if your expectations are based on how it was marketed.
robnalex (04-14-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 04:03 PM
Pro

You're asking how to avoid your marketing campaign from devolving into hype. The answer is by living up to what you're claiming to sell. If the Type S had performed as well as Acura's marketing campaign had (in this case) hyped it up to (i.e. a track performer that can trade punches with other cars in its class, like the M340i), people wouldn't be calling it marketing hype. Even the fanboys concede that Acura mismarketed the car, and that absent the marketing hype the car is pretty good for what it is, and it's only a disappointment if your expectations are based on how it was marketed.
Acura has never said it trades blows with the M340i, not did they ever say it’s a track car. It’s the journalist that blew things out of proportion. Let’s not spread lies.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:31 PM
Safety Car

Acura has never said it trades blows with the M340i, not did they ever say it’s a track car. It’s the journalist that blew things out of proportion. Let’s not spread lies.
LOL journalists blew it out of proportion? If anything journalists have tempered expectations based on their lukewarm response. Acura was the one who decided to launch the car at Laguna Seca. Acura was the one who decided to market the car on the track. Acura was the one that kept talking about performance this and performance that, and that they're a "performance brand first and foremost". Acura was the one who put out TV ads showing it tearing up a race track, and staging press photos that show it "drifting" around corners. But tell me again how it's the journalists who hyped this car up....
robnalex (04-14-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 04:47 PM
Pro

LOL journalists blew it out of proportion? If anything journalists have tempered expectations based on their lukewarm response. Acura was the one who decided to launch the car at Laguna Seca. Acura was the one who decided to market the car on the track. Acura was the one that kept talking about performance this and performance that, and that they're a "performance brand first and foremost". Acura was the one who put out TV ads showing it tearing up a race track, and staging press photos that show it "drifting" around corners. But tell me again how it's the journalists who hyped this car up....
You claimed they said it trades punches with the M340i, which was a lie.
Maybe they should have released it at a Walmart parking lot?

Last edited by richii0207; 04-11-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:01 PM
Safety Car

I never said "they said" it would trade punches with the M340i, I said Acura marketing hyped it up to be "a track performer that can trade punches with other cars in its class, like the M340i". Like it or not the M340i is the gold standard for cars in its class from a preformance standpoint, and it's only fair that if Acura markets the car on the track, that it should be able to line up against other cars on the track, including the top of the class. If you're going to base your whole marketing campaign around "performance", you better be able to keep up with the top dog in your class. Notice how nobody holds the IS350 or S4 or C43 up against the M340i at the track? Maybe because Lexus and Audi and Mercedes don't use the track or any "track things" to market those cars.

Last edited by fiatlux; 04-11-2022 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

And here comes the spin I've been talking about ha ha! Right from Acura's own site making a comparison:

https://www.acura.com/compare/bmw-m3...ura-tlx-type-s

But they say it can't compete with the "styling and innovation"

Acura put the TLX-S up against the likes of vehicles like the Audi S4, so who do you think that its competitors should be then? Let me guess: only the cars that it can keep up with/beat, and be damned to the rest!
Old 04-11-2022, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
And here comes the spin I've been talking about ha ha! Right from Acura's own site making a comparison:

Acura put the TLX-S up against the likes of vehicles like the Audi S4, so who do you think that its competitors should be then? Let me guess: only the cars that it can keep up with/beat, and be damned to the rest!
That comparison is cringeworthy and dishonest by Acura. lol
Old 04-11-2022, 05:51 PM
Pro

Is that comparison a lie? Nearly every brand website allows you to compare cars to other brands…How is this different? Last time I checked, the performance numbers in the chart were accurate??? People are making it sound like they are claiming it to be the fastest car on the planet..

To name a few:

Q50RS
G70
Stinger GT
M340i
IS 500
S4
Model 3
CT4V BW
C43 AMG

Last edited by richii0207; 04-11-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:16 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
I’ll admit it’s cringe worthy since it’s all about cosmetics and price. I don’t see it as dishonest. Could be I’ve overlooked something. Perhaps you can share with the board why you believe it’s dishonest.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Is that comparison a lie? Nearly every brand website allows you to compare cars to other brands…How is this different? Last time I checked, the performance numbers in the chart were accurate??? People are making it sound like they are claiming it to be the fastest car on the planet..

To name a few:

Q50RS
G70
Stinger GT
M340i
IS 500
S4
Model 3
CT4V BW
C43 AMG
It's a poorly researched comparison for one. I also like how they bold all the Acura stuff to make it seem more relevant. They also act like having more gears means better. The M340i is much faster and gets better gas mileage so who GAF about having a 10 speed? The ZF8 is one of the best auto transmissions you can have. There is also Wireless Charging, it says there isn't any on the BMW. You can order several different types of Rear Spoilers including Carbon Fiber if you want. They say you cant. There is also a 20 inch wheel option which they list 19's as the highest option. Not True. Price is irrelevant because BMW has HEAVY discounts on cars. Prior to the pandemic nobody pays MSRP and most people were getting 10k-15K off MSRP. That ad reeks of desperation and grasping at straws.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Isn’t it time for the perennial haters to stop hating on the Type S and move on? Correct me if I’m wrong, based on what I see and read Acura is selling every Type S they can build. I’m thinking that the marketing department has earned their salaries. As many have said here many times if you don’t like the car buy the car you like. No reason to hang around here continually bashing the vehicle. Sheesh.
WTF.Acura (04-15-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 06:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Honda430
Isn’t it time for the perennial haters to stop hating on the Type S and move on? Correct me if I’m wrong, based on what I see and read Acura is selling every Type S they can build. I’m thinking that the marketing department has earned their salaries. As many have said here many times if you don’t like the car buy the car you like. No reason to hang around here continually bashing the vehicle. Sheesh.
Some are acting like Acura marketed it as an NSX and are triggered, hence their same constant “marketing” argument.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong, based on what I see and read Acura is selling every Type S they can build.
Acura's current dilemma is a lot of the chips that would have gone to the TLX Type S instead are going to the MDX Type S....which are starting to sit on lots now.

Folks who didn't care about mpg may be forgoing nicer meals with every fill-up.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

It's a poorly researched comparison for one. I also like how they bold all the Acura stuff to make it seem more relevant. They also act like having more gears means better. The M340i is much faster and gets better gas mileage so who GAF about having a 10 speed? The ZF8 is one of the best auto transmissions you can have. There is also Wireless Charging, it says there isn't any on the BMW. You can order several different types of Rear Spoilers including Carbon Fiber if you want. They say you cant. There is also a 20 inch wheel option which they list 19's as the highest option. Not True. Price is irrelevant because BMW has HEAVY discounts on cars. Prior to the pandemic nobody pays MSRP and most people were getting 10k-15K off MSRP. That ad reeks of desperation and grasping at straws.
Was looking at the list and even when there were standard items for both cars or the BMW had a better item had the TLX S standard in bold and the BMW in fine print. To the point, MSport calipers are made by Brembo, exhaust sound variable based on drive mode, GPS adaptive drive setting built into the Navigation, system, Wireless charging, choice of 11 Wheel & Tire combinations, More than 5 drive modes, gesture control-just point towards the item you want on the screen.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Correct me if I’m wrong, based on what I see and read Acura is selling every Type S they can build. .
That is a big nothing burger. With the parts shortage just about everybody is selling whatever shows up. Does Acura publicly track Type S sales?

I know Tony Pac listed 1782 units sold last month but not how many were S cars.

BMW sold 5592 3 & 4’s last month but no listing of M340 & M440.

Not to you but someone asked what would make the S acceptable as a Sports Sedan.

For me just be competitive on the “Sports” side of sports sedan.

Just noticed it lost another go at Slow Sams, this time to a few years old Red400. Not sure itnn no has won any of these runs since it’s maiden voyage against the Audi
Old 04-11-2022, 09:36 PM
Pro

That is a big nothing burger. With the parts shortage just about everybody is selling whatever shows up. Does Acura publicly track Type S sales?

I know Tony Pac listed 1782 units sold last month but not how many were S cars.

BMW sold 5592 3 & 4’s last month but no listing of M340 & M440.

Not to you but someone asked what would make the S acceptable as a Sports Sedan.

For me just be competitive on the “Sports” side of sports sedan.

Just noticed it lost another go at Slow Sams, this time to a few years old Red400. Not sure itnn no has won any of these runs since it’s maiden voyage against the Audi
What’s slow sams? Never heard of it. Track event?
Old 04-11-2022, 09:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ELIN
Acura's current dilemma is a lot of the chips that would have gone to the TLX Type S instead are going to the MDX Type S....which are starting to sit on lots now.

No joke…

I have started to skip meals daily to afford the premium gas in my TLX Type S. 🤣
ELIN (04-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 09:48 PM
Suzuka Master

What’s slow sams? Never heard of it. Track event?
A YouTuber who can’t drive to save his life that runs head to head drag races.

He has done a lot of runs with the TLX. Was first out of the box when the Type S was released against an Audi.

Broke a lot of hearts here
Old 04-11-2022, 10:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Some are acting like Acura marketed it as an NSX and are triggered, hence their same constant “marketing” argument.
The usual: bring up the competition so that the discussion continues but get it thrown back with valid counterpoints, then just shift the goalposts. Then once that's done tell the "haters" that they need to "move on".

If you're interested in the TLX-S there's now seven within 50 miles of me (Philly). I should expect to see all of these sold quickly, right?
Old 04-11-2022, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Because we all know 4 exhaust tips is always faster and better than just two lol. Seriously, how dumb do people have to be at Acura to even consider posting this crap.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Because we all know 4 exhaust tips is always faster and better than just two lol. Seriously, how dumb do people have to be at Acura to even consider posting this crap.
At least they're not saying it's better at performance, just styling and "innovation" whatever that means. I'll give them the styling at least; car looks fantastic. I just wish it had the go to back up the show .
Old 04-12-2022, 01:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Thankfully the exhaust sounds and looks amazing.

Performance from them though? Well… nothing to say here, lol.
MarcoTLX (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 08:16 AM
Pro

Maybe they did it to troll you. You can scroll past it if it bothers you so much.

Last edited by richii0207; 04-12-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:38 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN

1) No one on this forum knows what the current shortage(s) are for any particular Acura vehicle
2) There are probably hundreds of thousands of different types of chips. They're components much like tires or pistons or gears or shocks which as everyone knows may not be compatible between a MDX or TLX, so to naively assume they're dedicating the TLX chips for MDX's is naïve when you don't know which components are in shortage. There's alot of commonality in the chips used across both vehicles as it makes sense but there's also probably unique ECM/chips in both vehicles as well.

FWIW, if you're curious just for Intel's Core microarchitecture here are the various different major Intel chips just for that series of chips which are immense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_...roarchitecture)

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-12-2022 at 10:36 AM.
WTF.Acura (04-15-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 08:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
The Acura website is correct, there is no 20" BMW wheel option for the M340i
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...xterior/wheels

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-12-2022 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:25 AM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Incorrect, in Canada, 19" is the largest option for the M340i. I believe the same is true in the US.
BEAR-AvHistory (04-12-2022)

Quick Reply: 2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition