0-60 Times

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 08:16 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by dr/owned
This forum is odd. Never have I seen a dedicated enthusiast forum crapping so hard on the brand that it's repping. Surprised the admins haven't come down on the mods more to rein it in cause that's not good for advertising revenue or sponsors when it's like "don't come here cause it's just as toxic as YT comments".
That's something I've always wondered. There are a few voracious posters that are really no more than trolls. If all you have is an ultra negative opinion about the TLX you probably shouldn't be here. While I completely understand constructive criticism what we have too much of here is simply just shitting on the car over and over again for every small fault some folks find. A frequent poster who had nothing to offer in regard to the specific subject of the forum other than vitriol would be booted off most dedicated forums.
The following users liked this post:
Hondamobilemechanic (08-29-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 09:48 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
People will soon remove the back seats (possibly the passenger's seat as well), whatever is in the trunk (X brace?), or anything to reduce weight, then still claim it's a fast groceries getter and family hauler.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by dr/owned
This forum is odd. Never have I seen a dedicated enthusiast forum crapping so hard on the brand that it's repping. Surprised the admins haven't come down on the mods more to rein it in cause that's not good for advertising revenue or sponsors when it's like "don't come here cause it's just as toxic as YT comments".
Originally Posted by Honda430
That's something I've always wondered. There are a few voracious posters that are really no more than trolls. If all you have is an ultra negative opinion about the TLX you probably shouldn't be here. While I completely understand constructive criticism what we have too much of here is simply just shitting on the car over and over again for every small fault some folks find. A frequent poster who had nothing to offer in regard to the specific subject of the forum other than vitriol would be booted off most dedicated forums.
I'll chime in here and I'll preface this by stating that I have discussed this 'offline' with this subforum's moderator (CheeseyPoofs McNut). So this will be more of 'moderator's note' than my usual opinion posting.

Part of the 'issue' here (and somewhat of a backstory) is that there are some long timers here who are deeply attached to the brand due to their legacy products and original mission. For better or worse (subjectively), the brand has sinced moved in a direction that many have taken issue with. I personally think this began with the 4G TL (largely its controversial styling) as well as the transition from the Euro-Accord based TSX to something seen as less sporty and more bloated. (This was during the brand's shield heyday.)

While the TL aesthetics were more of an acquired taste, there's no disputing that the engineering and quality control aspects were top notch. When the TL later transitioned to the TLX (and the TSX mercifully discontinued), many feel that the brand went backwards in creating a mediocre sports sedan that was more of a premium 9G Accord than a viable competitor to the IS or Q50, let alone the 3 series and A4. This was probably the generation of TL/TLX that eroded the brand's enthusisast-level fanbase in the largest (and most vocal) numbers.

Now, on some level Acura was listening, as the 2G TLX is a major separation from the equivalent accord. (Chassis dynamics and general handling along is head and shoulders above the Accord Sport/Touring). But for some, this wasn't enough. Adding to it was the brand's buildup of the Type S moniker for TLX duty which did not meet the expectations of many....including myself. (In a vacuum, the TLX and Type S are exceptional sports sedans. However, this isnt a vacuum and the segment has a number of great players that largely outperform the finished product that is the Type S.)

At this point, one could either embrace the TLX for what it is -- a solid entry (both trim levels) in the segment that's largely sporty enough for most -- OR move on to another make whose product better meets their expectations, which is totally understandable. (I love the S4/S5 and think it's a fantastic sports sedan; and my personally love for the M340i and the BMW brand has been duly noted on several occassions; currently shopping around for a gently used E92 335i coupe myself...but that's for another discussion).

The problem here (and this is more to your point), there's a subset of the latter who are vocally making this a contentious divorce (of sorts). While they may have moved or will be moving on to another brand, they seem to feel somewhat scorned by the brand.

So, there's this need to vent this out sometimes at the expense of those who find the TLX quite acceptable. As such, I am concerned about owners being shamed by opting to go with the new TLX over its contemporaries.

I wont go into all the 'why' and 'why not' of this model (in this post) but will say that everyone's tastes and preferences need to be respected. Passing public judgment on 'John' for choosing the TLX A-Spec SH-AWD when 'Jack' and 'Susan' totally feel that the 'Giulia Ti Sport RWD' is the superior choice doesnt fly with me either and I've considered dropping (and still may drop) the hammer a few times. I think the M340i is completely superior to the TLX-S on most fronts (particularly in consideration of the ADM imposed on many buyers) but I will happly congratulate those who've recently acquired the latter AND not belabor them with the attributes that I feel they may be missing out on with their selection; no one here is qualified to be so sanctimonous.

Opinions are valued on this board, particularly when they are insightful. But no one opinion is superior to another, no matter the impetus (perceived or actual) may be. Going forward, if I sense that any posts are detrimental to the local discussion or the viability of the board in general, I will make sure that it's dealt with accordingly.

Ping Cheesy or me at any time if any of you feel like you're being chastised by any other users soley due to your preferences.
The following 11 users liked this post by F23A4:
a35tl (08-30-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (08-30-2021), bilirubin (08-30-2021), CheeseyPoofs McNut (08-30-2021), ELIN (08-30-2021), Honda430 (08-30-2021), justnspace (08-30-2021), Legend2TL (08-30-2021), mike03a3 (08-30-2021), NBP04TL4ME (08-30-2021), Nexx (08-30-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-2021, 10:26 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
I'll chime in here and I'll preface this by stating that I have discussed this 'offline' with this subforum's moderator (CheeseyPoofs McNut). So this will be more of 'moderator's note' than my usual opinion posting.

--SNIP--
One thing to also note - as moderators we are not brand ambassadors - nor are we tasked with promoting Acura. Some of us own Acura's - many of us don't. We are tasked with promoting conversation on the site - not dictating how the conversation goes beyond policing behavior that crosses the line. Things like blatant trolling and personal attacks and way off topic posts etc etc.

It's fair to assume that a site called "ACURZINE" will, by definition, attract people who own and enjoy owning an Acura. As such if someone is offended by that sort of behaviour maybe they need to adjust their expectations as opposed to trying to point out why someone may be wrong to hold that opinion.

Spirited debate is fine and encouraged, different opinions are fine and encouraged, trolling and veiled attacks are not.
The following 10 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (08-30-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (08-30-2021), bilirubin (08-31-2021), ELIN (08-30-2021), F23A4 (08-30-2021), jjsC5 (08-30-2021), justnspace (08-30-2021), Legend2TL (08-30-2021), mike03a3 (08-30-2021), NBP04TL4ME (08-30-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-2021, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I just want to know if we’re talking about 0-60 mph or 0-60 km/h here. Lol
Old 08-30-2021, 06:54 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I just want to know if we’re talking about 0-60 mph or 0-60 km/h here. Lol
Does it make any difference ?
Old 08-31-2021, 11:24 AM
Cruisin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
I was actually surprised the Type-S stuck around as well as it did with the G70/Stinger. 0-60 times are comparable at 4.9s for the Type-S to the G70's 4.5s. 0-100 times aren't too far off either ... 12.6s vs 11.4s. Things get bad above triple digits though, with the Type-S taking 24.2s to do 0-130 while the G70 takes 19.7s. So, from 100-130MPH, it takes the Type-S an additional 11.6s while it only takes the G70 another 8.3s. That's quite the margin. Perhaps their roll speed was low enough that they didn't reach too far past triple digits? Or maybe the speed they set off was more advantageous for the Honda 10AT compared to the Genesis's 8spd?

On C&D's recent test though, the Type-S does out-brake the G70, which is surprising looking at the difference in weight. Also, roadholding tests were substantially better for the Type-S, which is surprising since I hear a lot of people praising how good the driving dynamics of the G70 are. Of course, that's only one metric of how a car actually handles.

Off topic, C&D got the M3 Competition to 130MPH in 12.8s. That's outrageous.

I really hope someone slaps a bigger turbo on this the Type-S sooner than later ... really see if that head design is going to restrict power up top and if maybe it can draw some decent power from this new engine. Then again, another concern would be how much the drivetrain can handle. If we don't even see a tune for the car by year's end, I think we can assume that the aftermarket support really isn't going to be there for this car.
11.4 vs 12.6 is still a huge gap. That’s over a second. A whole second is huuuuuuuuge. That’s like the g70 at 13 in the 1/4 vs a RS5 at 12 in the 1/4. That is a school bus gap lol. The other margins between g70 n type s are even worse.