Staggered wheels on AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Staggered wheels on AWD

I've looked around and I can't find anything on it. I've heard many stories about how staggered wheels are bad on AWD vehicles and I heard it doesn't affect anything. I'm just making sure if running staggered wheels and tires will be ok? New to the AWD scene...lol
Old 03-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
My only concern would be tire rotation which would become non-existent

This tire rack article is pretty decent.

Winter Tech Information - Matching Tires on Four-Wheel Drive & All-Wheel Drive Vehicles
Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, staggered wheels/tires is a bad idea on a FWD / all wheel steer car. Just for show, and for anyone who knows cars it looks stupid. Yes, you cannot rotate either.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Unkn0VV17
I've looked around and I can't find anything on it. I've heard many stories about how staggered wheels are bad on AWD vehicles and I heard it doesn't affect anything. I'm just making sure if running staggered wheels and tires will be ok? New to the AWD scene...lol
Hi there,
from my experience if you do it right you will not have any issues on going staggered. Your car will look mean and more aggressive and not stupid like some other said here, if that's what you looking for.
Keep in mind that you have to keep it as symmetric as possible in order to achieve good results.
In my case I'm running 20x9 and 35 offset in front and 20x10.5 and 40 offset in the back. The important thing is to have the same tire dimensions all around. On my car I have 245/35 R20, slightly stretch in front and very stretch in the back. Been running this setup for three years now and no problem at all, even lowered. I know I have a TL, but the logic is that it's possible to get it done on the TLX as well.
Attached Thumbnails Staggered wheels on AWD-rearshot.jpg  
Old 10-03-2017, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ponchoweed
Hi there,
from my experience if you do it right you will not have any issues on going staggered. Your car will look mean and more aggressive and not stupid like some other said here, if that's what you looking for.
Keep in mind that you have to keep it as symmetric as possible in order to achieve good results.
In my case I'm running 20x9 and 35 offset in front and 20x10.5 and 40 offset in the back. The important thing is to have the same tire dimensions all around. On my car I have 245/35 R20, slightly stretch in front and very stretch in the back. Been running this setup for three years now and no problem at all, even lowered. I know I have a TL, but the logic is that it's possible to get it done on the TLX as well.
Not only does a stretched tire look dumb on a TLX (family sedan), it can be dangerous and will void any tire warranty. Staggering in a FWD/AWD is purely for aesthetics. To each their own, but it's not worth the trouble IMO.