Vehicle Stability Assist: 61-12 error

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Vehicle Stability Assist: 61-12 error

Seemingly out of nowhere, my 2015 TLX SH-AWD gets an AcuraLink error (Vehicle Stability Assist 61-12) on the screen that tells me that ABS and VSA may not work.

I did a web search but the only mention is a post on another forum where someone got the same error, but nothing was mentioned about the final diagnosis/issue.

Anyone know if this is a transient issue and nothing to worry about if no further errors show up, or is this indicative of a bigger issue with electronics or braking?

I don't notice any driveability or braking problems.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Could be as simple as a weak battery.

​​​​​​​Get you battery tested and go from there
Old 12-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by teh CL
Could be as simple as a weak battery.

Get you battery tested and go from there
Hmmm...battery was replaced by Acura in Feb. so should be fine. Will keep an eye on it. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
It the error gone now? I had this happen once, but never (so far) has recurred.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sbillard
It the error gone now? I had this happen once, but never (so far) has recurred.
Happened once. Has not happened since.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the "idiot light" did not also come on, it may have been spurious. I have gotten spurious AcuraLink messages claiming a low battery when the car just lost cellular connectivity, for example.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by cube1
If the "idiot light" did not also come on, it may have been spurious. I have gotten spurious AcuraLink messages claiming a low battery when the car just lost cellular connectivity, for example.
Nope, never saw the idiot light, nor was there any perceptible change in the feel of the vehicle or driveabilty. Hopefully was just a one-off.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the same error displayed months ago. I was at a stop light and when the light turned green I stepped on the gas fairly hard at the same time I turned left to enter a freeway. It has not occurred since. I have not noticed anything wrong with the car since then. I chalked this up to the over aggressive turn somehow triggering the stability control. I plan to have it looked at the next time I have the car in for service.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
No offense, but I'd still take the car to the dealership and get it checked out. I wouldn't just trust a light coming on and/or staying on. The reason I say this is because when the wheel actuator/speed sensor problem I've had happen twice and repaired twice happened, I don't know if it threw an error code or not, but it caused every light on the dash almost to fire off and the car to go into limp mode, so I had no idea what was going on. The lights seemed to go away when I turned the car off and back on multiple times, and then the car drove normally. There was a problem that was corrected (although it seems to have taken 2 tries 6 months apart) even though it looked like it went away after restarting the car. In my case, Acura knew there was a problem even though to the driver it looked like it went away or was a blip.

When I google for this issue, it seems other people have been having this issue to varying degrees for the past several years in the MDX & TLX. In some cases it just went away, in others it eventually seemed to cause random engaging of the brakes. It may be nothing, but still ... at least make note that you took it in and at least they can check to see if it left any codes that may be helpful. Not to mention Honda may be keeping an eye out for issues like this to get further examples, but if no one reports it, it may be considered as some one-off incident like you said. If 10 people report the one-off incident, it may be discovered it's a more serious issue.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I have had this happen twice, a couple months apart, both times I got the message on the upper (Nav) screen but didn't see any lights on the display with the "idiot lights". Both times I had hit the brakes pretty hard, once in the rain. This time I called my service person to het her know it had happened and the message is still in the Info Acuralink Messages area so I can show it to them. Will update as I find out more.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:50 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
If there's an AutoZone near you, they will scan it for codes for free. If the car doesn't throw a code, fuhgetaboutit.
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (10-01-2018)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Hi everyone, the problems seems to be linked to the battery. The battery died twice today and on my way to get a replacement this message popped up. I did feel a change in the ride quality.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:38 AM
Intermediate

VSA:61-12 Issues and subsequent Auto Idle Stop issues

I've had this VSA:61-12 message for numerous times on my 2015 TLX SH-AWD , and brought it to the dealer's attention every time. I'm quite surprise that noone seems to have hereabove mentionned a second issue, which I like to call the second step of this two step issue. This annoying and dangerous car behaviour second step issue, is describe on other forums as the "Auto Idle Stop Problem".
Long story short, my TLX has had these issues and, despite a new battery installed by the dealer (and paid by Honda) in Apr.2019, these same two (2) issues reoccured in Nov.2019 three (3) days appart.

Note #1: because I've had several issues, including vibrations issues, I'm sewing Acura/Honda. I don't usually drive the TLX anymore, and I'm waiting to go to Court. My TLX is parked and waiting in my driveway. I only drive it now and then because....(see Note #2)

Note #2: when Acura/Honda changed the battery, and this is hard to believe but nevertheless, both the Acura and Honda's representative have mentioned the alternator wasn't big enough to support the electronics in this car, which may explain why the battery keeps having issues (some AZusers are mentioning they are on their 3rd or 4th battery, on other AZforums such as the "Auto Idle Stop Problem") to support the normal car operation. I said I was regularily starting the TLX and let it idle (especially during winter time), but they suggested to me that I should never leave the car running in my packing lot to recharge the battery, because it's apparently not sufficient in their mind and it will discharge it. Instead, they said I should drive it to avoid such circonstances. I'm starting to think the Alternator really is the issue, alike what Acura/Honda representatives told me, because of...(Note #3)

Note #3: for the first time since April, I left the car Idle for in my parking lot because I wanted to remove whatever remaining snow/ice off the roof (I needed to bring the TLX to an independant body shop to get their expertise about why the paint is peeling off my TLX (see AZforum about Peeling paint issue), even peeling where Acura has already (improperly) fixed it two years ago around the rear window. After letting Idle for 15-20min., I drove 2 min to a local carwash and left the TLX idle while waiting in line for about 15-20 more min. (one car in the carwash, two more cars in front of me). Then I drove about 10-15min. to the bodyshop where I turned off the keyless ignition. 30 minutes later, I restarted and drove 15min to get to the nearest Ikea store, parked but let idle for approximatively 10 min. while finishing a phone call. I turned off ignition and went shopping for 10min. Drove for 5min.before the car did, at a stop sign intersection, what is describe an "Auto Idle Stop Problem".

it's not like we're doing something wrong with our TLX while letting it idle (In a parking lot or while in traffic) or while driving from A to B, D and back to A. I don't understand why Acura/Honda said to pco0106 (post #9 on #Auto Idle Stop Problem" forum) back in July 2018 they were fully aware of this situation, and told me in person in Apr.2019 they know the alternator is not powerfull enough and yet, despite all this, won't fix it and issue a Recall.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by One4AL
I've had this VSA:61-12 message for numerous times on my 2015 TLX SH-AWD , and brought it to the dealer's attention every time. I'm quite surprise that noone seems to have hereabove mentionned a second issue, which I like to call the second step of this two step issue. This annoying and dangerous car behaviour second step issue, is describe on other forums as the "Auto Idle Stop Problem".
Long story short, my TLX has had these issues and, despite a new battery installed by the dealer (and paid by Honda) in Apr.2019, these same two (2) issues reoccured in Nov.2019 three (3) days appart.

Note #1: because I've had several issues, including vibrations issues, I'm sewing Acura/Honda. I don't usually drive the TLX anymore, and I'm waiting to go to Court. My TLX is parked and waiting in my driveway. I only drive it now and then because....(see Note #2)

Note #2: when Acura/Honda changed the battery, and this is hard to believe but nevertheless, both the Acura and Honda's representative have mentioned the alternator wasn't big enough to support the electronics in this car, which may explain why the battery keeps having issues (some AZusers are mentioning they are on their 3rd or 4th battery, on other AZforums such as the "Auto Idle Stop Problem") to support the normal car operation. I said I was regularily starting the TLX and let it idle (especially during winter time), but they suggested to me that I should never leave the car running in my packing lot to recharge the battery, because it's apparently not sufficient in their mind and it will discharge it. Instead, they said I should drive it to avoid such circonstances. I'm starting to think the Alternator really is the issue, alike what Acura/Honda representatives told me, because of...(Note #3)

Note #3: for the first time since April, I left the car Idle for in my parking lot because I wanted to remove whatever remaining snow/ice off the roof (I needed to bring the TLX to an independant body shop to get their expertise about why the paint is peeling off my TLX (see AZforum about Peeling paint issue), even peeling where Acura has already (improperly) fixed it two years ago around the rear window. After letting Idle for 15-20min., I drove 2 min to a local carwash and left the TLX idle while waiting in line for about 15-20 more min. (one car in the carwash, two more cars in front of me). Then I drove about 10-15min. to the bodyshop where I turned off the keyless ignition. 30 minutes later, I restarted and drove 15min to get to the nearest Ikea store, parked but let idle for approximatively 10 min. while finishing a phone call. I turned off ignition and went shopping for 10min. Drove for 5min.before the car did, at a stop sign intersection, what is describe an "Auto Idle Stop Problem".

it's not like we're doing something wrong with our TLX while letting it idle (In a parking lot or while in traffic) or while driving from A to B, D and back to A. I don't understand why Acura/Honda said to pco0106 (post #9 on #Auto Idle Stop Problem" forum) back in July 2018 they were fully aware of this situation, and told me in person in Apr.2019 they know the alternator is not powerfull enough and yet, despite all this, won't fix it and issue a Recall.
I've always thought something related to the alternator was the issue, but then I would think the battery dying issue would be more widespread. Or maybe not everyone is reporting it. I'd be ecstatic if my battery would last more than 2 years (without fear of dying). I've already had some starting issues (a couple of slow starts) on a battery I purchased in June. Insane.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Intermediate

Today, while discussing this battery issue with a relative who works for our city, I was informed that city car Mechanics are fully aware of this issue and they've identified the Honda cars to be problematic, as well as their Nissan Leaf. To patch this battery issue, the city Mechanics are installing a small 2 amps car charger on the battery and each car has to be plug-in every night to avoid anymore battery issues. I can't help but think, if our city mechanics know there is an issue, Honda/Acura has to know about it as well...accordingly, where is the fix ?