transmission shudder

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission shudder

I have a 2016 TLX fwd V6. At 1400 rpm (seems like a shift point) it feels like a lot of road vibration.I believe that it is a transmission issue. On light acceleration or deceleration through this RPM I get a vibration. You can watch the Tach as it passes through this point. Took a while to get use to all the shifting, but I love the car. Real fast and gets 33 plus on the highway!! Any ideas???
Old 01-11-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Hi there!

That sounds like an issue I've heard of with that transmission. You'd likely be able to search for, and read up on, it at the TLX sub-forum. If you don't find the answer, they're probably the best group to help discuss your particular model.

Welcome, and happy motoring!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Moving this from New Member Introductions over to 5GTLX so that, hopefully, the right eyeballs can see it and help out a new friend.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:40 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by FLOATFLYIN
I have a 2016 TLX fwd V6. At 1400 rpm (seems like a shift point) it feels like a lot of road vibration.I believe that it is a transmission issue. On light acceleration or deceleration through this RPM I get a vibration. You can watch the Tach as it passes through this point. Took a while to get use to all the shifting, but I love the car. Real fast and gets 33 plus on the highway!! Any ideas???
This started happening after I got my transmission replaced. After much experimentation and analysis, I hypothesize that it the transmission programming moves aggressively to get into the highest gear. The sound and vibration to me is precisely similar to the phenomenon of lugging, when you are in too high a gear in a manual transmission. As soon as I give it the smallest additional amount of gas, it downshifts and the sound and vibration go away. At first I thought it was the VCM, but it is definitely the gearing.

Take your service guy for a ride and the car and show him, I intend to do that at my next service. Note: I would infinitely prefer this (minor) issue to the rough shifts and lags I had before I got the transmission replaced.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I have experienced the exact same issue on my V6 TLX that I just picked up and based off my research, this is actually caused by the VCM (variable cylinder management) switching to 3/4 cylinder mode......
Old 01-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Could be an engine mount.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FLOATFLYIN
I’ve got the same problem. Just turned 15K on a 2015 TLX, V6. I really like the car but from day one, I’ve had problems with the transmission. After a number of visits and software updates, it was tolerable until this issue reared its ugly head. I’m due for routine servicing next month so I’ll bring it to their attention, FWIW.

My warranty runs out next April. Rather than run the risk of more problems and having to cover the costs out of my pocket, I may just dump this thing. I doubt I’d get another Acura as the predicted reliability for the 2018 model from Consumer Reports is near the bottom of the list.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:20 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
This started happening after I got my transmission replaced. After much experimentation and analysis, I hypothesize that it the transmission programming moves aggressively to get into the highest gear. The sound and vibration to me is precisely similar to the phenomenon of lugging, when you are in too high a gear in a manual transmission. As soon as I give it the smallest additional amount of gas, it downshifts and the sound and vibration go away. At first I thought it was the VCM, but it is definitely the gearing.

Take your service guy for a ride and the car and show him, I intend to do that at my next service. Note: I would infinitely prefer this (minor) issue to the rough shifts and lags I had before I got the transmission replaced.
So I did get this resolved a while back, it was the active engine mounts, they needed to be resynchronized while the car was in gear. Techline knows about it and guided my service guy through the procedure.