Sidewall tear - no spare

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Sidewall tear - no spare

Last night I took a corner a bit too wide and the rear passenger side tire dropped off the edge of the road - maybe 2 inches onto dirt. I wasn't going very fast. Immediately the low tire pressure light came on so I switched the monitor view to the tire pressure reading and watched the pressure drop to 0 pretty quickly. I had to go on about a half mile before I could pull off into a convenience store lot. Of course my 2016 TLX SH-AWD did not have the spare so I hooked up the compressor - air only. I could hear the air rushing right out so I knew it was bad. This morning in the daylight I pulled the tire and could see it was torn at the sidewall. About 11,000 miles and it was trashed. Went to a local tire place that had a Goodyear LS2 225/R18 in stock and paid $170 to have a new tire mounted on the rim. Took it back and replaced on the car. I cannot remember the last time I had a flat - now I am wondering if maybe I should get a spare tire kit and put it in.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
I have the kit installed in mine. I will probably never have to use it, but knowing its there makes long trips a lot less stressful.
The following users liked this post:
sehale (11-13-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I had such a failure as well. Had to wait for the tow truck to take me to Acura for a new tire.

The bad: because of traffic the wait was pretty long.

The good: They said I needed only one tire. Always before I had to replace both tires (both front or both rear) at the same time. Dealer said that so long as the tread was reasonable there was no issues replacing just one. That has been my experience as well since the replacement.

I still would not get the spare kit. This is the first time I have had a tire problem that required immediate replacement in the past about 20 years. So the odds just don't support the cautions. But if you want to be absolutely comfortable. get the kit. Cary around the extra weight and reduce your trunk space but be not afraid.
sehale (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Call me old school, but the 1st thing I bought for my TLX was the spare tire kit. 1st thing I bought for my daughters car was a spare tire kit.

It’s a must have. Only reason they don’t come standard is weight savings for the CAFE ratings.
sehale (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
The first thing I did when I got my 4G TL was remove the spare tire kit
sehale (11-13-2017)
Old 10-14-2018, 02:22 PM
2016 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The last time I had a flat the wheel was broken and I was in a WV valley with no cell phone signal. I was happy to have a spare, so I've bought one for my new TLX. It will be worth the cost just for peace of mind.