Random complete electrical power failures

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:01 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random complete electrical power failures

My 2015 TLX V6 Advance with 14550 miles has experienced 3 random complete power failures in the last few months. All external/internal ights, sounds and LCD screens go completely dead, usually after getting in the car and hitting the start button. But after opening the hood to check the battery connections, the power inexplicably resumes. On the most recent power failure, I jiggled a small black encased wire connection at the top right of the battery. This time, I noticed a spark, followed by a popping sound, indicating a frayed wire. I have attached a picture showing the location of this wire (highlighted by a red box). Please note that this wire is attached to the negative node and is a much thinner than the primary negative cable. Can anyone please identify the function of this
connection ...is it a ground wire? If frayed, could it contribute to a complete electrical power failure?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Bring it to the dealer before you accidentally damage something and it gets out of warranty
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by spoiler900
Bring it to the dealer before you accidentally damage something and it gets out of warranty
for sure...
Old 03-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Yeah, man. It might be a simple fix, but with warranty still on your car, there's no need to touch it.

Either way, make sure to report back with regards to what the issue is (let the service advisor know you're curious in hearing what they find). While it is an inconvenience to go to the dealership, I'd say better safe than sorry.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
FYI : My car had random issues starting on the first push of the button. Sometimes I had to hold the button down. Sometimes it started fine. I took it to the dealer in December and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the battery, but I noticed from December until earlier this week I didn't have any issues with starting. Then it happened again. First push, no. Second push, no. Third push I held it down and it worked after churning for a bit. I took it to another dealer that that wanted $10 for a loaner car and if they couldn't find anything, they'd charge me a diagnostic fee (David McDavid Acura in Dallas). I said "screw that" and told them they haven't been able to find anything wrong with my transmission either and I'm not about to hand over free money to them. Not to mention they never used to charge for the loaner car. I'll just try another dealership or wait for it to croak and then show them "see? something's wrong". lol. BTW, before they told me about the diagnostic fee and the loaner fee, this second dealer thought the issue was certainly the battery, but I told them to test the battery. The battery wasn't weak, so it ain't the battery in my case -- at least they didn't think so.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 03-06-2017 at 08:24 PM.