New tires fixed the vibration in my new '17.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
New tires fixed the vibration in my new '17.

I bought a new '17 SH-AWD on Wed. It had Goodyear Eagle LS2s. When I took the car on a test drive I noticed a vibration at 70+ mph. The salesperson did as well and attributed it to tire flat-spotting. I'd dealt with flat-spotting in prior vehicles so I moved forward with the purchase. I'll note that I was aware of vibrations described on this forum with the '15s and '16s, but had not read about any with the '17s.

My prior experience with flat-spotting is that it tends to go away within 10 miles. After 35 miles it was still present. So I had the service dept. look at it. The tech said that the car was mechanically sound and attributed the vibration to flat spotting. He and the service writer told me that it can take up to 1,000 miles to smooth out the tires. My receipt actually states "drive for 1,000 mi. and see if the problem clears up." That sounded ridiculous and unacceptable (why should a new car owner have to drive with harsh vibrations for 1000 miles?). The service writer did mention that my car had sat on the lot for ~4 mos. without movement (implying huge flat spots). He also mentioned that the non-tire-related vibration issues in the '15 and '16 cars was fixed in the '17s (I also noticed that there is no vibration TSB for the '17s).

In any event, I took a 3.5 hour road trip this morning and the vibration at speed was quite annoying. It came from the floor, radiating into the pedals and the driver's seat. My initial plan was to stop by an Acura dealership at my destination. But I said to myself: What good would that do? I concluded that one or more of the LS2s were garbage. I wasn't up for hearing that the tires were performing "as expected" or "within tolerable limits," etc.

So to make a long story short, I replaced the LS2s with Michelin Pilot A/S 3+s based on comments I've read here. I went to a Discount Tire store and was in and out within an hour. Not only is the vibration gone, but the car handles much better. Now I can really enjoy my new car!

I plan to write Acura corporate to share everything described herein.
The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (12-20-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
I wonder if a proper balance might have been the actual solution...
either way, you're happy!
Old 07-02-2017, 02:52 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I wonder if a proper balance might have been the actual solution...
either way, you're happy!
The dealership didn't balance the tires because, in their opinion, it would do no good. If the problem was really flat spotting, the tires would immediately go out of balance as the flat spots smoothed out.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:18 AM

I chased vibrations for a year with a set of wheels and tires...multiple shops, high speed, then road force balancing...
in the end, the only thing that rid me of issues for good was my acura dealership with a calibrated machine and skilled tech.
I'm just wondering...sometimes they try and take the easy way out. I know flat spotting is a thing...but, well, you know.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just me but I would never buy a new vehicle with a known issue. Once they have your money their interest in keeping you happy is drastically diminished.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I chased vibrations for a year with a set of wheels and tires...multiple shops, high speed, then road force balancing...
in the end, the only thing that rid me of issues for good was my acura dealership with a calibrated machine and skilled tech.
I'm just wondering...sometimes they try and take the easy way out. I know flat spotting is a thing...but, well, you know.
so your saying you had the vibration and only an updated calibrated machine fixed it?
Old 07-04-2017, 12:10 PM

Right.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by irishbrahmin

In any event, I took a 3.5 hour road trip this morning and the vibration at speed was quite annoying. It came from the floor, radiating into the pedals and the driver's seat. My initial plan was to stop by an Acura dealership at my destination. But I said to myself: What good would that do? I concluded that one or more of the LS2s were garbage. I wasn't up for hearing that the tires were performing "as expected" or "within tolerable limits," etc.

So to make a long story short, I replaced the LS2s with Michelin Pilot A/S 3+s based on comments I've read here. I went to a Discount Tire store and was in and out within an hour. Not only is the vibration gone, but the car handles much better. Now I can really enjoy my new car!

I plan to write Acura corporate to share everything described herein.
Great choice! I recently commented to an Acura salesman that I never understood why Acura put crap tires like that on their cars. He said that BMW puts the same tires on their cars as standard. I thought to myself, yeah right.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Great choice! I recently commented to an Acura salesman that I never understood why Acura put crap tires like that on their cars. He said that BMW puts the same tires on their cars as standard. I thought to myself, yeah right.
Cost, mang.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
just like the crappy OEM batteries....

and if you're wondering, the NSX with 500something horsepower comes with crappy all season tires.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wow I would have made the dealership eat the cost of replacing the tires if they want my sale. Glad OP was able to fix the vibration problem with new tires.

My 2012 TL had vibration problems as well and I had the Goodyear Eagle replaced for DWS06 and it was day and night.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:09 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
so your saying you had the vibration and only an updated calibrated machine fixed it?
I had a vibration issue on a brand new Honda Accord nearly 17 years ago. After multiple failed attempts to balance the tires by 3 different shops, I ended up visiting a specialty shop that rigorously maintained and calibrated their balancing machine (non-road force). Problem was solved. All 4 tires were out of balance.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:22 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a 06 TL and had the tranny go bad on me and needed a rebuild a few years back. Despite this, I was still considering getting a 2018 TLX A-Spec. Learning of the issues with it and Acura's stance on the issue, I will steer clear of Acura!