New Guy w/ a 2016 TLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy w/ a 2016 TLX

Hello Fellow Members,
I am new because I continue to have a problem with my 2016 TLX and was wondering if anybody else had this problem. The car only has 8400 miles on it and I've owned it since January 2016. The trunk opens on its own, many many times but not repeatable!! It happens shortly after I get in, and when I have placed the keys in the cup holder to my right at the bottom of the console, or have the key fob in my pants pocket or when I even have the keys sitting on the passenger seat. I think the trunk opens when I start the car, but not completely sure. I do know that it has happened and the key fob is not being touched.

When I brought the car in for service just 5 mos after I had bought it, the service girl said that they knew that the trunk was a problem because the sensor thinks that the keys are locked in the trunk because of where the keys are.

Is this weird or what? Does anybody else have this problem? It is intermittent, and the dealer checked with headquarters and they deny hearing of this problem form anybody but me. Hah! I like the car but this is a very annoying problem.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since this is a technical issue which will require replies and not a "New Member Introduction" I moved this thread to the appropriate subsection so you can hopefully get more help.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:45 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I drive a 2015 TLX Advance. The only time I have heard of this problem is from people accidently pushing the trunk release on their remote. How you wonder? Well, the buttons are not quite recessed enough on the remote and often just having the FOB in your jeans or such can set a button. The solution to this problem is adding a case to the remote. You can purchase a silicon case on ebay for about $6 (in any color) and it will add about 1/32 of an inch more thickness around the remote and will prevent a button being pushed in your pocket. One other issue happens that causes the trunk to open is with people (usually older people). Often either getting into or out of your TLX will cause your knee to hit the lower left of the dash and accidently pushing the Trunk Release button, often without even noticing. Is it possible that either or both of these things are happening?
Old 07-09-2017, 05:28 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
I have hit my knee on the lower dash popping open the trunk on a test drive. Like you said, also without even noticing it.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:10 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Crashmaster
I drive a 2015 TLX Advance. The only time I have heard of this problem is from people accidently pushing the trunk release on their remote. How you wonder? Well, the buttons are not quite recessed enough on the remote and often just having the FOB in your jeans or such can set a button. The solution to this problem is adding a case to the remote. You can purchase a silicon case on ebay for about $6 (in any color) and it will add about 1/32 of an inch more thickness around the remote and will prevent a button being pushed in your pocket. One other issue happens that causes the trunk to open is with people (usually older people). Often either getting into or out of your TLX will cause your knee to hit the lower left of the dash and accidently pushing the Trunk Release button, often without even noticing. Is it possible that either or both of these things are happening?
No way! That's what the dealer told me and I knew it was total BS. I have the keys sitting in the cupholder, nobody even touching them, or sitting on the passenger seat. This happened right around when I started the car. I bought the car in January 2016. When I took the car into the dealer in July, the service girl, who has since left, told me that they had a problem with the position of the fob sensor. The car thinks that because of where the keys are, that the keys are locked in the trunk and it opens the trunk when I go to start the car.

Just wanted to see if anybody else has this problem. It really annoys me and pisses me off. It happens regularly but not when I want to repeat it.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
To my understanding if you put your keys in the trunk and then try and shut your trunk lid, you won't be able to. It won't latch. On the other hand, if you throw your FOB into the back just inches away from the trunk latch, it WILL NOT OPEN THE TRUNK AUTOMATICALLY. Can you imagine the liability if it did? I am pretty sure it only works where it won't latch when trying to shut the hatch, not where it will open automatically. We don't have to guess. Just take your key FOB and toss it into the trunk area and see what happens.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Crashmaster
To my understanding if you put your keys in the trunk and then try and shut your trunk lid, you won't be able to. It won't latch. On the other hand, if you throw your FOB into the back just inches away from the trunk latch, it WILL NOT OPEN THE TRUNK AUTOMATICALLY. Can you imagine the liability if it did? I am pretty sure it only works where it won't latch when trying to shut the hatch, not where it will open automatically. We don't have to guess. Just take your key FOB and toss it into the trunk area and see what happens.
Or open the trunk pass through, close the trunk, get back in the driver's seat, close your door and throw the key back into the trunk, I'm curious to hear what will happen.

But to attest to Crashmaster's earlier post, I've unintentionally opened my trunk before with the fob and now have a silicone case for my key. I did not buy the case for that purpose, I bought it because the key was getting terribly scratched and scuffed in the first weeks of ownership, but nevertheless I haven't had a trunk incident since.