Nasty pothole with 2 blown tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:41 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Nasty pothole with 2 blown tires

Hey guys,

Hit a nasty pothole about a month ago that blew both driver side tires. Long story short, I was merging on an on ramp from one highway to another and the onramp lane to accelerate was partially blocked with a disabled vehicle + local police car. There was no shoulder there so it was a bit awkward trying to merge and didn't see it as I was paying more attention to the oncoming traffic and copcar.

Since I had the original Goodyear Eagle LS-2's with 43K miles I decided to replace all 4 at once with Continental DWS06 tires. Insurance covered two new rims and 2 of the tires, I covered the rest plus the deductible.
Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, I got my car back and noticed I could feel like one of the tires were not balanced,(I could both hear it and feel it in the steering wheel) but it was mostly on turns. Brought my car back and they said the wheel bearing needs to also be replaced. The insurance company took a while to send the appraiser back to the dealer so they could approve the "supplement" to the original estimate. I had a loaner for almost two weeks waiting for this. I finally got my car back last Friday morning with a new front driver side wheel bearing and I don't really see a difference. While it doesn't do it all the time, I mostly notice it on long sweeping turns doing over 30mph. On occasion, I feel it going straight but its usually at lower speeds. This is driving me crazy as the car doesn't drive the same prior to hitting the pothole. But since they're brand new "Ultra High Performance" tires that are stiffer and more sporty, its hard to tell what exactly is the issue here.
I owned the 1st generation Continental DWS tires and remember they would 'flat' spot when the car was sitting sometimes for a while. I find it hard to believe these new DWS06 are flat spotting every single night and round out with each drive.

What else could be causing this? CV Joint? I'm going to bring it back to them and ask them to double check to make sure all 4 tires are actually balanced.

Pictures:
https://imgur.com/HzjmAG2

https://imgur.com/PAfmzRU

https://imgur.com/k7xZxhf
Old 05-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,017 Likes on 760 Posts
I would lean towards checking for a bent axle, bad LCA, Check Tie Rods, end links, ball joint. To pop tires and bend wheels there needs to be a tremendous amount of force which could easily damage other components.
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (05-02-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I would lean towards the drive axle/CV joint, but wouldn't rule out an engine mount. If they didn't give you new rims or this has not already been performed, maybe have them road-force balance to pick up any possible bending of the rim.

Last edited by 18TLXAspec; 05-01-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec
I would lean towards the drive axle/CV joint, but wouldn't rule out an engine mount. If they didn't give you new rims or this has not already been performed, maybe have them road-force balance to pick up any possible bending of the rim.
Thank you for the suggestion guys.
They already replaced the 2 rims. They did a balance and alignment when they installed all 4 new Conti's.

I just got off the phone with the service adviser. I'm bringing the car back in Thursday morning. They're going to take the wheels + tires off of a loaner for me to drive around on with their mechanic. This way we can see if the problem follows the wheels/tires or the car. I'll keep you guys posted.