That green background behind the 'Gear' display on the dashboard turned RED....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:55 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That green background behind the 'Gear' display on the dashboard turned RED....

Hello -- some of you old-old timers might remember me from the TSX forum.....

I've had the '15 TLX since when it first came out. Last week, this weird thing happened.... The dealership doesn't know what it means, evidently they never heard of it. I then called Acura customer service; they didn't know either, and said there wasn't anyone there who could help on something like this, which sure doesn't sound right to me, but, what can you do.

On the dashboard, where it shows the "D" for drive (or whatever, for whatever gear you're in), normally there's a green field behind it, sort of a horizontal stripe with a gap in the middle of it, where the D shows. The other day, in the middle of while I was driving, I noticed that it had become RED. It stayed red for the rest of the drive. Next time I started it up, it was green again; likewise ever since. That one time is the only time I ever noticed it being red.

The car felt normal during that; no other hint of anything wrong, no warning icons or anything like that. The temperature gauge showed normal. No hint of anything. I couldn't find anything on it in the manual, and neither could the dealership or anyone I spoke to on the phone at Acura.

Anyone else had this, or heard of it, maybe even on some other car, and have any idea about it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:07 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sounds like you went from "Normal" drive mode to "Sport" somehow. You do know there is an"IDS" button on the center console below the shifter, right? Just checking. Sounds like you hit that button twice somehow.
The following users liked this post:
larchmont1 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:33 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LAMike240
Sounds like you went from "Normal" drive mode to "Sport" somehow. You do know there is an"IDS" button on the center console below the shifter, right? Just checking. Sounds like you hit that button twice somehow.
I do sometimes go into that mode; gonna run right down, start it up and put it in that mode to see.....

BINGO!!!!
Dam, that's it!!!!!!!!

I've been in the Sport mode many many times, just never noticed that it turns red like that.
And it seems weird that it doesn't say this in the manual (if it does, I can't find it), and even weirder that neither the dealership nor Acura customer service could come up with the answer.

Thanks, and great job!!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:39 PM
5th Gear

.....I think the reason I never noticed it before is that I don't go into that mode unless I'm going to be driving like hell, and when I'm doing that, I'm not paying much attention to the dash....
Old 05-01-2018, 11:40 PM
Racer

Glad that was it! i just returned my 15 I4 Tech this evening. Not sure what I'm getting net. Happy to hear you are enjoying yours!
Old 05-01-2018, 11:55 PM
5th Gear

Glad that was it! i just returned my 15 I4 Tech this evening. Not sure what I'm getting net. Happy to hear you are enjoying yours!
I guess that means you didn't love it? (Or do you just always switch off.)

Yes, I enjoy it, but don't love it. I was sad to give up my TSX (had >220K miles), don't think I'll ever love a car like I loved the TSX, and there just isn't a car out there that comes close to it for me. The TLX might be as close as there is.
I'm tough.

Good luck with whatever you pick!
Maybe consider the Audi A4? That was my runner-up.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:20 AM
Racer

I did not love it. Didn't hate it. But it was no 03 TL Type S! it was better than the 13 BMW 528 that I had for 5 weeks before trading it in for the TLX.

Not sure whats next...not new...definitely used....
Old 05-02-2018, 02:02 AM
5th Gear

I did not love it. Didn't hate it. But it was no 03 TL Type S! it was better than the 13 BMW 528 that I had for 5 weeks before trading it in for the TLX....
If I get you right, you really liked the TL-S??

I had it too, and.....not saying it wasn't a "good car." It was a good car.
But it was sort of the most unlikable car I ever had.
I 'always' keep a car forever, but that one, I couldn't wait to find something else. I was ecstatic when the TSX came out, and actually paid out money on the trade-in -- paying extra to get a car which technically was a lower level.
The TL-S was just too big, IMO. The TLX is a similar size (a little shorter, but larger width), but the handling and ride are more to my taste, so it's all right. I know that a lot of people liked the TL-S, but I'm surprised you found the TLX less good.
Have a good time looking for the next car, and hopefully you come up with something you do love.
I think you have a good shot at it -- you must have a pretty good eye if you knew about Sport mode and that red thing....