Just bought a TLX AWD Advance and....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I agree, we are pretty much buying computers with wheels and I think it is getting a bit too much. I am conservative though but some of the stuff in cars now are getting ridiculous.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
or better yet, the video he took documenting it!
All the lights only show the symptom. A code might show the cause....
Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
or better yet, the video he took documenting it!

I am going to say that one fancy electronic system fubar'd another fancy electronic system on the car. That's my final guess.

I agree with Majofo on the idea that cars are getting to the point where they are doing too much work for you. S2000 caters to that and I'll always love the simplicity that came with that car.

Yes indeed, good sir. And that wasn't even all that long ago...

Luxury companies keep needing new gimmicks to draw new buyers in, to be at the forefront of the luxury game. I'd be thrilled if all I had in a luxury car was power windows/locks/mirrors/sunroof and heated seats. Even power seats are kind of stupid. My 15 year old civic had all of that, minus the seats. Never felt I needed anything else.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ The irony is car company seem confused between LUXURY and TECHNOLOGY....For me, it is odd that they are adding stuff that are gimmick and take away from better material and components (like tires).

I would like better quality material and a plush interior over leatherette and a touch screen to look high tech.

Rant over...and yes, I am old! I know, although you couldn't tell looking at my youthful body! *lol*
Old 12-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I agree, we are pretty much buying computers with wheels and I think it is getting a bit too much. I am conservative though but some of the stuff in cars now are getting ridiculous.
Well, the barn door are open and there is no turning back, and it is only going to get more complex. This might be the first model where there are multiple software/firmware fixes that are released over the year to resolve issues, but I anticipate seeing this trend with virtually all new cars. We just have to hope that they remain free for hacking or virus attacks.
The following users liked this post:
mogriff1 (12-24-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Preach weather!
weather (12-24-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 04:39 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
i am not being a troll. just expressing my opinions.

Lexus just makes better cars overall.

They've got the best reliability bar none....now if only I didn't feel like I'd just had a propofol injection when I look at an ES from the outside. Sigh.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
It was StuxNet...the machines will be taking over our lives.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Yes indeed, good sir. And that wasn't even all that long ago...

Luxury companies keep needing new gimmicks to draw new buyers in, to be at the forefront of the luxury game. I'd be thrilled if all I had in a luxury car was power windows/locks/mirrors/sunroof and heated seats. Even power seats are kind of stupid. My 15 year old civic had all of that, minus the seats. Never felt I needed anything else.
I remember when my dad said that power windows, locks, and sunroof were unnecessary stuff that could add to the crap that goes wrong with a car. He was content with his '74 Impala with no AC in Houston. Ya, y'all can keep that mess.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
It did throw a DTC and it was P0969. Dealership says the troubleshooting tree tells them to clear the code and duplicate the problem. They drove my car 25 miles and it didn't do it. I went to pick up a loaner car today and talked to the service director personally cause he was there. He told me it was up to me what I wanted to do. He can keep it more, himself or a tech can keep driving it and try to duplicate it or I can take it and hope it was an anomaly. I told him I'd take it and drive it tonight to xmas eve dinner which is about a 70 mile roundtrip drive and hope for the best. I told him I'd keep him posted and will do here as well. Merry Christmas everybody and wish me luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by iceman650:
a35tl (12-25-2014), quantum7 (12-24-2014), tlxsteve (12-24-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Good luck. I do hope it was an anomaly.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Team Owner

I also prefer a good ol' 6MT over a DCT. Great, it shifts fast. Guess what, my transmission doesn't need to be reflashed because it shifts like shit. Ever. And when it comes time to replace the clutches in the DCT, I'll gladly accept the price of doing the 6MT over the DCT.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by iceman650
It did throw a DTC and it was P0969. Dealership says the troubleshooting tree tells them to clear the code and duplicate the problem. They drove my car 25 miles and it didn't do it. I went to pick up a loaner car today and talked to the service director personally cause he was there. He told me it was up to me what I wanted to do. He can keep it more, himself or a tech can keep driving it and try to duplicate it or I can take it and hope it was an anomaly. I told him I'd take it and drive it tonight to xmas eve dinner which is about a 70 mile roundtrip drive and hope for the best. I told him I'd keep him posted and will do here as well. Merry Christmas everybody and wish me luck!
how did it go?
Old 12-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
maybe you forgot to close your hood?

it stopped on me. Unreal. 23 miles. Driving down the road and it stopped at the light and wouldn't go anymore. All the lights started flashing including check engine light, telling me there is an electronic brake problem and a transmission problem. Crazy. I called Acura Roadside Assistance and they're towing it back to the dealership now. I'll keep ya'll updated. Posting video soon.
maybe you forgot to close your hood?
Old 12-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
it stopped on me. Unreal. 23 miles. Driving down the road and it stopped at the light and wouldn't go anymore. All the lights started flashing including check engine light, telling me there is an electronic brake problem and a transmission problem. Crazy. I called Acura Roadside Assistance and they're towing it back to the dealership now. I'll keep ya'll updated. Posting video soon.
I just posted a thread 2 mins ago with the same issue on a 4 month old TLX tech. Happened on Christmas eve. The dealer diagnosed it as my toll tag interfering with the LKAS camera that in turn is triggering a bunch of other sensors. I was able to drive my car though.

Any chance you have a toll tag on the glass behind the rear-view mirror?
Quandry (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^Here's hoping that this is rational explanation for the event. It would kill off another spew of hate posts against the car!
Stew4HD (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
A nice long drive to charge the battery would help put my mind at ease. A charger would be even better. The toll tag thing sounds interesting, but I don't understand the mechanics of it.

Dealers, mechanics, they all tend to leave cars on or in Acc II while working on them. Modern cars don't like almost dead batteries, and it wouldn't be the first time one was run down during the new vehicle prep for delivery.

I am mourning the slow extinction of the M/T, but BSI, backup cameras, LED headlights, dimming sideview mirrors, ventilated seats...... Yes Please.. They make the daily grind more bearable, and help keep the stress level down. Can take me over an hour to drive the 20 miles home from work; took 2 hrs to go the 55 miles from my in-laws. Was brake hold needed? Of course not, but I did appreciate having it just like all the other tech.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 12-26-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Stew4HD (12-27-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Drove it for over 50 miles on Christmas Eve and no issues. I do not have a toll tag on it, actually didn't have anything in the car yet except me, my wallet and my cell phone. I'm gonna take it for a more serious drive tonight possibly over 200 miles so we'll see again.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^Oh well, it was a hope. Keep us posted on any developments or findings.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

And it happened again..... last night on my way out to this over 200 mile drive. This time I was able to actually drive it back home safely. I'm returning this car and asking for another one.

And another video showing that now the doors wont lock anymore using the remote (video doesn't show that none of the cigarette lighters work either)

Old 12-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Team Owner

Wow. Are you going to implement the Lemon law?
Old 12-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

Not sure how to edit my posts but I've removed the door lock issue video from YouTube since that was my fault, the rear door was partially left opened so thats why the doors wouldnt lock. I wish there was an audible alert telling you about this rather than just not locking the doors. The only way I knew my doors didn't lock was cause I kept pushing the lock button and never heard the beep confirmation but sometimes I don't even press it twice to hear it. I just dropped my car off at the dealership and took everything out of it and gave them both keys. They're gonna find me another car.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Good luck iceman, let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

. I just dropped my car off at the dealership and took everything out of it and gave them both keys. They're gonna find me another car.
Good to hear. Good Luck with the next one. Wish they did a proper job diagnosing, and fixing it the first time. All dealers do it, but I hate the "we couldn't replicate the problem", and send you on your way "fixes" that so many practice across all brand lines.

Thankfully mine has been problem free with no issues. I think I got a Wednesday car, and a few got the Happy Hour special unfortunately

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 12-27-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Thanks for the update, hopefully the next one will be as expected...
Old 12-27-2014, 06:39 PM

Toll tag.

Did the techs say it was causing interference or just blocking the camera? If they said causing interference, you might as well drive that TSX through the showroom floor and set it on fire.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Good to hear. Good Luck with the next one. Wish they did a proper job diagnosing, and fixing it the first time. All dealers do it, but I hate the "we couldn't replicate the problem", and send you on your way "fixes" that so many practice across all brand lines.

Thankfully mine has been problem free with no issues. I think I got a Wednesday car, and a few got the Happy Hour special unfortunately
If something isnt exhibiting any symptoms, and you test what you can test but yet cant find an issue how do you go about fixing it? Yes it sucks to hear but there really isnt much else for them to do
Old 12-27-2014, 09:11 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
'And it happened again..... last night on my way out to this over 200 mile drive. This time I was able to actually drive it back home safely. I'm returning this car and asking for another one.'

I'm happy for you that the dealership/ Acura will make good on getting you a new car (as they should). I would find it concerning that this car gets repossessed by Acura and then turned around in the used market (so someone else potentially gets stuck with this issue). If they can't find/ reproduce/ fix it, does the title change because of the underlying issue? I really do like the TLX but when I read of some of these electronic issues as well as tranny issues, it would steer me away from the first model year of the TLX (I'd be concerned about getting such a car used, despite having warranty coverage).

Good luck with the replacement car.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
If something isnt exhibiting any symptoms, and you test what you can test but yet cant find an issue how do you go about fixing it? Yes it sucks to hear but there really isnt much else for them to do
Yeah, sometimes you need to leave it overnight or take the tech for a ride and show exactly what's going on. Many shops have too many jobs in the queue to play detective. Sucks for the customer, but that's the reality of it.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:57 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
The parking brake is bad enough, but I can understand. 90 something percent of drivers don't know the purpose of a parking brake and it only annoys them because they'll pull it unintentionally and fucking start a fire in the rear meanwhile wondering where the fuck that annoying warning beep is coming from.

But a fucking brake hold.. because it's so hard to press the fucking brake pedal. Oh this traffic is really wearing out my foot.. boo hoo.. Oh an inclined stop. Better press the brake hold button because my foot moves too slow to get on the gas pedal.. I might roll back down the hill. FFS Acura.. get your shit together.
LOL, but but, it's better and it shift faster than a manual. Manual levers are dated and makes my arm hurt. If Acura doesn't make a button, I'm gonna sue!
Old 12-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

For a simple CEL, or rattle, etc let it go, but for a failure like this where the driver was stranded, and which could have easily occurred on a busy road, they should have kept the car, driven it for a few days, and given him a loaner IMO.
Stew4HD (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
For a simple CEL, or rattle, etc let it go, but for a failure like this where the driver was stranded, and which could have easily occurred on a busy road, they should have kept the car, driven it for a few days, and given him a loaner IMO.
I don't think I would have trusted the car after that without a part to show the issue. Intermittent issues are the worst.

Years ago I was driving a 4cyl Chevy S-10 that would die out of the blue while on the hiway.. man, it really sucks in heavy morning traffic! The dealership couldn't find the problem or able to repeat the issue. I never did find out what caused that though it happened a few more times over months.

My brother bought it off me and never saw that happen.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Trying not to sound obnoxious, but what CEL are you referring to:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Look up cel or cél in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

CEL may stand for:

Carboxyl ester lipase or bile salt dependent lipase, an enzyme used in digestion
Check engine light, a malfunction indicator lamp
Chemin de Fer de l'Etat Libanais, the national railway network of the Lebanon
China Energy Label
Communications and Entertainment Limited, a defunct Australian home video company
Comunidade do Escutismo Lusófono, the international community for scouting in Lusophone countries
Chronic eosinophilic leukemia, an extremely rare cancer of the white blood cells
Cel may refer to:

Cel, a transparent sheet on which objects are drawn or painted for animation purposes
Cel programming language
Cel Publishing, an imprint of VDM Publishing devoted to the reproduction of Wikipedia content
cel, the ISO-639 code for Celtic languages
Cel (goddess), the Etruscan goddess of the earth

I am beginning to dislike abbreviations.

Is there ever a simple check engine light?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Trying not to sound obnoxious, but what CEL are you referring to:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Look up cel or cél in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

CEL may stand for:

Carboxyl ester lipase or bile salt dependent lipase, an enzyme used in digestion
Check engine light, a malfunction indicator lamp
Chemin de Fer de l'Etat Libanais, the national railway network of the Lebanon
China Energy Label
Communications and Entertainment Limited, a defunct Australian home video company
Comunidade do Escutismo Lusófono, the international community for scouting in Lusophone countries
Chronic eosinophilic leukemia, an extremely rare cancer of the white blood cells
Cel may refer to:

Cel, a transparent sheet on which objects are drawn or painted for animation purposes
Cel programming language
Cel Publishing, an imprint of VDM Publishing devoted to the reproduction of Wikipedia content
cel, the ISO-639 code for Celtic languages
Cel (goddess), the Etruscan goddess of the earth

I am beginning to dislike abbreviations.

Is there ever a simple check engine light?
In the world of car vernacular - CEL is Check Engine Light.

EDIT - didn't see the end of your post
tlxsteve (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

In all fairness to the service department at this particular dealership, I personally talked to the service director. He was ok with keeping the car and having them drive it to duplicate the problem. They even had a loaner ready for me. I talked myself out of letting them drive my car and decided to hope that it was an anomaly and do it myself. It's a good thing cause the dealership would have kept my car for weeks or would have eventually given it back to me without any repairs if it really was gonna come back after 100 miles. Then again who knows what the problem really is, intermittent, certain mileage, certain driving condition? Who knows. Maybe I'll get a free tint job or a free deck lid spoiler from it all, I'm def gonna ask for one.
tlxsteve (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
The parking brake is bad enough, but I can understand. 90 something percent of drivers don't know the purpose of a parking brake and it only annoys them because they'll pull it unintentionally and fucking start a fire in the rear meanwhile wondering where the fuck that annoying warning beep is coming from.

But a fucking brake hold.. because it's so hard to press the fucking brake pedal. Oh this traffic is really wearing out my foot.. boo hoo.. Oh an inclined stop. Better press the brake hold button because my foot moves too slow to get on the gas pedal.. I might roll back down the hill. FFS Acura.. get your shit together.
Hey, heres a thought….just DON't USE IT! Is it a real chore for you NOT to press the button to use Break Hold? I happen to like it in stop and go traffic. It's kinda like some warning systems and other things in cars that are optional. They are there for convenience….if you don't want them, don't activate or simply de-activate. Oh, and perhaps express your opinions with less offensive language.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
And what if they still hadnt had the issue still arise during that? I have seen it many times where the vehicle was left for an extended period of time but were never able to duplicate the issue. (Even Happened to me once, and Recently Happened to my friends Lexus, they had the vehicle for 1.5 weeks and put on over 100 miles testing it and never were able to reproduce the issue. He got the car back and within 2 days he had the problem left him stranded and needed a tow, which coincidentally at that time they did diagnose the issue and he got a new trans). Sometimes things just cant be diagnosed and repaired. Even with a CEL, which isnt always a direct answer on what to fix, but a place to start trouble shooting
Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

And what if they still hadnt had the issue still arise during that? I have seen it many times where the vehicle was left for an extended period of time but were never able to duplicate the issue.
I am not saying the car should be kept indefinitely until the cause is found, and I would have been satisfied to have them say we drove the car multiple times over several days, and couldn't find the issue as long as they made the effort. The car initially died at a light, so to me, driving it more often in local driving would have been more beneficial than just racking up a set number of miles in what could have been steady cruising.

If it was me, and I was left stranded, especially around the holidays while travelling with my family, I would have wanted that kind of effort. It seems like in this case they did make the effort, and the OP decided to take the car back, and see if he could replicate it himself, so I wouldn't fault this dealership. My own experiences are that many dealerships are not so willing to step up to the plate like that, and it's a source of frustration for many customers. My BMW dealer didn't seem able to solve any problem I had in one visit, and I will never buy a car from that dealership again just because I know I will be forced to use their service people if I want a simple thing like a loaner vehicle.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 12-29-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Then again who knows what the problem really is, intermittent, certain mileage, certain driving condition?
I took the time to look at all 12 of the One Pack videos again, and they did have a segment on video 7 about "car lit up like Times Square" and said it was a "softset connector"--did not specify which one--check each one and report the loose one to TechLine--, and another car had a backed out connector in the PAWS actuator--also dash lit up like a Christmas tree--, both caught by dealer techs. It may be a needle in a haystack, but might be the issue.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Hey, heres a thought….just DON't USE IT! Is it a real chore for you NOT to press the button to use Break Hold? I happen to like it in stop and go traffic. It's kinda like some warning systems and other things in cars that are optional. They are there for convenience….if you don't want them, don't activate or simply de-activate. Oh, and perhaps express your opinions with less offensive language.
Because it's sooooo difficult and inconvenient to hold the brake down.

I hurt someone else's sensitivities.. sure sweetheart.

Quick Reply: Just bought a TLX AWD Advance and....