Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014 | 03:24 PM
Racer

Front License Plate

Called the local dealership to see if I could order fillers for the front license plate and it turns out they aren't making them for the TLX. Apparently Acura wants to force us to have front license plates. I got this directly from the service department. Without taking them off I cant confirm but wanted to bring this up and see what others experience has been with taking off the front plate.
Old 08-25-2014 | 07:05 PM
Forum Contributor

Originally Posted by scooterb84
Called the local dealership to see if I could order fillers for the front license plate and it turns out they aren't making them for the TLX. Apparently Acura wants to force us to have front license plates. I got this directly from the service department. Without taking them off I cant confirm but wanted to bring this up and see what others experience has been with taking off the front plate.
Per procedure 8 (Install the Front License Plate Holder) in TSB 14-016 - 2015 TLX: TQI and New Model Service Information, it looks like there are dimples in the front bumper that would exist if no license plate is installed.

If a license plate was installed and then removed, the holes would exist, which apparently cannot be covered with orderable plugs.
The following users liked this post:
scooterb84 (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014 | 09:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EE4Life
Per procedure 8 (Install the Front License Plate Holder) in TSB 14-016 - 2015 TLX: TQI and New Model Service Information, it looks like there are dimples in the front bumper that would exist if no license plate is installed.

If a license plate was installed and then removed, the holes would exist, which apparently cannot be covered with orderable plugs.
Exactly. If you do not want a front plate installed in a state that requires 2 plates, you would have to catch the car before the PDI was done and ask that they do not install the bracket that comes with the car from the factory.
scooterb84 (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014 | 10:44 AM
Racer

Sounds good. Thanks for confirming.
Old 09-15-2014 | 10:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by EE4Life

This should seriously be a crime. Being that I purchased my TSX already configured to my liking on the lot, I now have two, although small, holes in the front bumper of my $36,000 car. You literally wouldn't even know they were there unless right up on the bumper but I know they are there and I am pissed that there is nothing I can do about it to cover them up unless I want to purchase a new bumper. Thank god whoever did it really did a clean job but damn the bumper looks SO much better without the front place hogging up all the attention. Rant over. Now I just need to figure out how to plug these holes clean and unnoticeable.
Old 09-15-2014 | 10:54 AM
Racer

Here is a picture after I removed the front plate.

Not saying I'm keeping it this way but wanted to at least let everyone know what you will have once you remove it. I personally think it looks better and am considering leaving it this way until I figure out how to plug them.
Old 09-15-2014 | 11:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Either leave it unplugged or go to a professional body shop who can source a plug and paint match it.
Old 09-15-2014 | 02:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by scooterb84
Here is a picture after I removed the front plate.

Not saying I'm keeping it this way but wanted to at least let everyone know what you will have once you remove it. I personally think it looks better and am considering leaving it this way until I figure out how to plug them.

Good thing that they are small, but I can totally empathize. From the picture, it kind of looks like the dimples that are there to begin with. Good luck and I hope you can live with it.
Old 09-22-2014 | 01:39 AM
Summer is Coming

Bumper Plugs....

Did you consider something like this???

Bumper Plugs
scooterb84 (09-22-2014)
Old 09-22-2014 | 10:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Did you consider something like this???

Bumper Plugs
Never seen those but ill have to check them out. Ill measure the threaded holes and see if they are too large or not large enough. Appreciate the information and ill post back here if they work.
Old 09-25-2014 | 07:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Exactly. If you do not want a front plate installed in a state that requires 2 plates, you would have to catch the car before the PDI was done and ask that they do not install the bracket that comes with the car from the factory.
I requested multiple times not to have the front plate installed and the dealership obeyed. Yes there are two dimples but my black TLX looks sweet without a crappy bracket and plate. What sucks is that there is a $200 ticket cops can give you without the front plate in Texas.
Old 09-26-2014 | 09:31 PM
Instructor

While some are looking to remove the plate, I'll need these for city parking, like the BumpTek plate holder. Bumper Protection, Bumper Protectors, Bumper Guards Protect Your Car from Bumper Damage
Old 09-26-2014 | 09:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Seriously! There is a market and a need? What a bummer.
Old 09-27-2014 | 05:54 PM
Intermediate

EE4Life is correct as I requested with my dealer NOT to have the front plate installed, and there are two very small dimples on the front bumper.
Old 09-30-2014 | 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

The bumper plugs site is interesting. But I could not justify $27 for two plugs, and I need 4, for my Chevy, so I bought 4 stainless steel license plate screws from O'reily and painted the heads with touch-up paint to match the front bumper. Button-head screws are available in slot and Phillips head style. Not quite as *neat* as plugs, but more in my price range: $4 for 4-screws.
Old 10-05-2014 | 01:02 AM
Instructor

I took the front plate off of my Accord Touring and replaced them with Bumper Plugs. The paint match was superb and while not invisible, they did the trick.

Fortunately, my dealer asked me if I wanted the bracket installed on the TLX and I immediately replied "No!" .
I did have to sign a waiver stating that I was refusing the bracket installation, but it's nice to have a choice.

I was, however, wondering if the TLX has a tow hook spot on the front? I noticed a little panel on the left side. I've seen plate brackets that screw into tow hook areas online. My thought would be to go that route if ever issued a 'fix it ticket' and then go straight home and remove it after getting it signed off.
Old 10-24-2014 | 10:04 PM
8th Gear

I just ordered these and painted them. Ill post pics once they are in.
Old 10-24-2014 | 10:07 PM
8th Gear

Can't add a hyper link for some reason, but they are just bumper caps off ebay.
Old 10-26-2014 | 03:36 AM
Instructor

I'm probably going to go with a company I found online called Rho-Plate. While, they haven't made one for the TLX specifically, they're interested in some photos of the TLX tow hook. I've got some photography to do. They asked for a picture of the tow hook next to a ruler and a picture of the tow hook installed at a few angles.

Since California is a front-plate State, I'd rather just get the plate mount in advance, toss it in the trunk and take my chances with a fix-it ticket. If I get one, I'll slap on the Rho-Plate, get it signed off, go home and uninstall.
Old 10-26-2014 | 07:31 AM
Suzuka Master

I wish car companies could design a way to install/mount the plate bracket without having to drill a hole in the bumper....Surely they could be thinking about this given the 4 years of designing and engineering. For the record, this is not an Acura bashing but car companies in general....they ALL have this problem!
Old 11-02-2014 | 02:35 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by weather
I wish car companies could design a way to install/mount the plate bracket without having to drill a hole in the bumper....Surely they could be thinking about this given the 4 years of designing and engineering. For the record, this is not an Acura bashing but car companies in general....they ALL have this problem!
They take the easy way out. Yes they could devise a bracket that comes up from an opening in the bumper and holds the plate just slightly in front of the bumper. But these can get hung up on automatic car wash brushes and rip the plate off. That then is a maintenance item. So screwing it into the bumper is easy and sturdy. On my wife's new Mini we have one of those tow hook mounts. We don't have the plate yet but that it where it will go. The manufacturer warns that it can get caught on car wash brushes. I hope she doesn't go to car washes in her new freshly polished and Opti-coated car (by me!).... but she has used them on her old car and eventually probably will with this car too.

Personally I'd like to see front license plates eliminated. It could save a lot of money and they really don't do any good. Where I live it is illegal to park front out. All parking must be head in so they can see your rear plates. Front plates are a waste.
Old 11-02-2014 | 07:17 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I hear ya on wishing front plates could be eliminated. My province also requires them and its a nuisance but I can see why the police appreciate having he front plates. If a car is coming in teh opposite direction, you can actually see the plate number while its on the front....being in the rear only would be almost impossible to read from their rearview mirror.

That being said, if it is no longer required in 75% of other provinces, why couldn't it be done for the remaining 25%?! Time to call my local politicians....
Old 11-17-2014 | 10:10 PM
5th Gear

front license plate hole question

my 2006 tl i didn't have a front liccense plate for 8 years and sucks that my new 2015 tlx doesn't come with the fillers. Is there somewhere i can buy them after market or what are the rubbers people are talking about when they get their plates?