Drive Train mappings per drive mode (V6)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Drive Train mappings per drive mode (V6)

Anyone know the drive train mappings for the various drive modes, specifically for the FWD V6?

For example, in ECO mode the car normally launches in 2nd gear and has different shift points and throttle response than in other modes.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:33 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
I don't think anyone knows. I know a lot of V6 loaners I drove alllllll were very different some were more aggressive than others and some that were in normal actually felt like sport mode. Inequality by Acura they need to get there tranny game right.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:33 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
I don't think anyone knows. I know a lot of V6 loaners I drove alllllll were very different some were more aggressive than others and some that were in normal actually felt like sport mode. Inequality by Acura they need to get there tranny game right.
Mine drastically changed after the most recent TCM/PCM update. It's very sporty now and shifts are lightning fast for a normal automatic (I'm always in sport mode but normal actually is good now, Econ still sucks). I think it depends which software version is in it. Have you had B16-012 done since you're in the US?
Old 04-19-2016, 11:53 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket_pup
Anyone know the drive train mappings for the various drive modes, specifically for the FWD V6?

For example, in ECO mode the car normally launches in 2nd gear and has different shift points and throttle response than in other modes.
Like kudzu said, I don't think anyone really knows exactly what the parameters are, but here's my analysis (after my software update of course on my 2016 - keep in mind I'm seeing it through that lens of a properly updated TCM/PCM):

Econ -
This mode sucks. Never use it. It doesn't even really save you gas unless you run the A/C all the time, in which case it'll save you some gas by dialing back the HVAC. It's actually more efficient to accelerate up to speed quicker and get to coasting. But seriously, don't suffer in Econ because you think you're saving gas, it's not a noticeable amount (not even 1 mpg). Upshifts come super early and super often. Throttle response? What throttle response? It also gives the steering a very mushy, ultralightweight, imprecise feel. You might as well be steering through cold oatmeal. This mode absolutely neuters SH-AWD into a safety system and doesn't really contribute much to your handling. I don't know what using the paddles does in Econ because I've never tried it. I get the same fuel economy in Sport mode as Econ.

Normal - Throttle response and steering weight are pretty average. Kinda like an Accord V6. Upshift behaviour is still geared mostly towards fuel economy, but it's livable and doesn't feel like Penalty Box Mode, I mean, Econ mode. Downshifts take a bit more gas pedal to happen than in Sport. SH-AWD mildly helps you out and functions mostly as a safety system and sharpens up handling some, but still leans toward safety over handling. Using the paddles causes you to have control of the gears for a shorter time than Sport.

Sport - Throttle response is quick. Steering weight is heavier than average and more precise. Upshifts don't come until later in the RPM range. Downshifts happen with less gas pedal travel. Kickdowns go through more gears than Normal (ie: the same gas pedal travel that produces an 8 to 6 downshift in normal will likely produce an 8 to 5 downshift in Sport). SH-AWD biases itself more toward handling and acceleration (ie: more power rearward more often). The difference is quite noticeable if you're looking for it. This is my default mode and my favourite one. Arbitrarily using the paddles will hold a gear for about 10 seconds before it decides to go back to D on its own.

Sport+ - Throttle response is kind of like Sport but becomes more sensitive. Steering weight is even heavier than Sport. Upshifts come on quite far up the rev range for a given pedal travel, and it won't upshift at all unless you're at least past about 2800 RPM at steady state cruise. Kickdowns go as far as they can when you floor it. The car starts rev-matching downshifts aggressively, but after the update it feels less artificial. SH-AWD becomes even more biased toward delivering handling and will even let you oversteer to some degree if you exceed the grip limits of the tires, moreso even if traction control is disabled (I've had mild power-on oversteer in this mode twice now, scared the shit out of me because I didn't realize it could). The paddles respond quickly and once you hit a paddle shift, it'll stay manually selected until either you redline, or you press the D button (or turn off the car or change IDS modes).
Old 04-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it would be interesting to see 0-60 times and actual fuel consumption data based on the various drive modes.

I have actually adjusted my driving habits based on someone's comments. I would normally try to drive in ECO mode in an effort to save fuel during my daily commute. Actually, I can recall at least 2 occasions of near collision partially to do with the severely impaired throttle response of ECO mode. I try to leave it in ECO mode until the engine warms up, but now I normally cruise in at least NORMAL. SPORT is roughly the same as NORMAL but it climbs up higher on the rev band (as far as engine responsiveness). Fuel consumption is pretty much the same.