Dead TLX Battery....SMH

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Dead TLX Battery....SMH

I picked up my new 2015 TLX awd w/Tech on 2/11 and drive it the next few days with no issues......I didn't start the car 2/15 yesterday mind you I'm in NY and the temperature was 1 degrees overnight...fast forward to 2/16 and the battery is completely dead. I called the dealership service which is closed today and made an appointment for tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can get it started........Anyone else experience a dead battery on a new TLX?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Not in the the five months I have had my car. I even sit out in my car for 30 to 45 minutes a day listening to the radio in accessory mode during the work week. Mind you, it's in the 70s here.

Maybe stock up on jumper cables, AAA/CAA or jumper battery? Sad to see a dead battery and not being able to do anything about it.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry to hear about your battery. It's not uncommon to get a new vehicle with a battery in less than full state of charge. It was a common complaint the first couple of months after the TLX hit the market.

I've always put new vehicle batteries on a 3 amp/hr trickle charger as soon as I can to ensure a full charge and longest possible battery life.
I did notice that my new TLX took about 36 hours to take a full charge, so it was down substantially from a full charge. A follow-up charge two weeks later only took two hours, so I know the battery is good and should last.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Sorry to hear about your battery. It's not uncommon to get a new vehicle with a battery in less than full state of charge. It was a common complaint the first couple of months after the TLX hit the market.

I've always put new vehicle batteries on a 3 amp/hr trickle charger as soon as I can to ensure a full charge and longest possible battery life.
I did notice that my new TLX took about 36 hours to take a full charge, so it was down substantially from a full charge. A follow-up charge two weeks later only took two hours, so I know the battery is good and should last.
on the trickle charger. I have this one and have used it to make sure batteries are fully charged whether automotive or for the law tractor which sits all winter.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Not in the the five months I have had my car. I even sit out in my car for 30 to 45 minutes a day listening to the radio in accessory mode during the work week. Mind you, it's in the 70s here.

Yeah that's the way it's suppose to be

Maybe stock up on jumper cables, AAA/CAA or jumper battery? Sad to see a dead battery and not being able to do anything about it.

Didn't think i would AAA on a new car.. Guess I have to renew AAA membership

I wonder if my TLX was part of the bad batch?

Good tip...Any recommendations on a good trickle charger?

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
on the trickle charger. I have this one and have used it to make sure batteries are fully charged whether automotive or for the law tractor which sits all winter.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:10 PM

I inserted a hyperlink in my post for the charger I have. Click on the "one" or you can click on this - G3500 | Genius Battery Chargers
Old 02-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ and I use the CTEK3300 which is amazing as well.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

Thanks much appreciated!!
Old 02-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

I just picked up a Jump start/Fast charger/Trickle charger combo. Its connected to the battery now and reads battery is 75% charged...
Old 02-16-2015, 02:02 PM

Wow! That was fast
Old 02-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
My battery failed about 2 weeks after pickup in September. After a good recharge it was ok to start once or twice but they could not revive it and it was replaced. No stay battery drainage or alternator problems, and it has been fine since even with multiple short runs and cold weather.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Wow! That was fast
LOL AutoZone store is only 10 blocks away. I used my wife's car
Old 02-16-2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Quandry
My battery failed about 2 weeks after pickup in September. After a good recharge it was ok to start once or twice but they could not revive it and it was replaced. No stay battery drainage or alternator problems, and it has been fine since even with multiple short runs and cold weather.
Automotive batteries aren't designed to be deep cycled (discharged) like marine batteries are. Yours obviously was beyond being revived. OP may be in a similar situation, but getting it fully charged and having a trickle charger on hand are a good idea. Time will tell if his is revivable.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'll admit I spent a fair amount of time with it in AUX mode checking out features and settings. The tow truck operator suggested having many calls for Acura vehicles that were parked with the audio running which drained the battery.

This should be one of the avoidance tips passed on by the sales rep at delivery.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

UPDATE:
I'm screwed....I tried the fast charge setting and the dash lite up but the car wouldn't turn over... Next, I tried the jump start setting and the same thing happened.. How depressing.. I'll call service in the morning... Looks like the car will need to be towed to dealership. Unfortunately the Acura dealership I purchased from is 16miles away.

There is a closer Acura dealership 6 miles away but I wonder if they will pickup & service .... I also wonder if Acura roadside assistance will tow the 16miles or do I have to renew my AAA membership?

This is depressing
Old 02-16-2015, 03:35 PM

I don't know exactly what kind of charger you purchased, but what is the downside of setting it up for trickle charge and leave it alone until tomorrow morning? You will get 12+ hours of trickle charging which might make a difference? Have you tried jumping you car with your wife's?
I would imagine either dealer would pick up and in terms of service - unless the nearer dealer ship is buried with business, I'd be hard pressed to see them turn your car away. However with that being said, some dealers will prioritize customers who have purchased from them over others. Again this depends on how busy they are. I haven't looked at or ever used Acura roadside assistance, but again see no reason why a car under warranty wouldn't be towed to either dealership. It's 16 or 6 miles, you aren't talking 200 miles.
I pulled this from the Acura owners site -

Roadside Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (800) 594-8500

Call them and see what they say.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
its takes a lot of juice to start a tlx up. i had to hook up two portable batter starters to get a dead tlx going.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 PM
Intermediate

I don't know exactly what kind of charger you purchased, but what is the downside of setting it up for trickle charge and leave it alone until tomorrow morning? You will get 12+ hours of trickle charging which might make a difference? Have you tried jumping you car with your wife's?
I would imagine either dealer would pick up and in terms of service - unless the nearer dealer ship is buried with business, I'd be hard pressed to see them turn your car away. However with that being said, some dealers will prioritize customers who have purchased from them over others. Again this depends on how busy they are. I haven't looked at or ever used Acura roadside assistance, but again see no reason why a car under warranty wouldn't be towed to either dealership. It's 16 or 6 miles, you aren't talking 200 miles.
I pulled this from the Acura owners site -

Roadside Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (800) 594-8500

Call them and see what they say.
Thanks for this valuable information!!!

I just got off the phone with Acura Roadside assistance and they're sending help within the hour. They also confirmed that if the car still doesn't start it will be towed to the dealership and a loaner will be provided if needed..
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 04:10 PM

You are welcome. You probably have a sticker on your driver's window with the same info.
My concern at this point is if they do get it started and even if you let it run or take it out for a drive, will it start in the AM? Suppose you can call them again and have it towed in. Just a hassle to deal with.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

You are welcome. You probably have a sticker on your driver's window with the same info.
My concern at this point is if they do get it started and even if you let it run or take it out for a drive, will it start in the AM? Suppose you can call them again and have it towed in. Just a hassle to deal with.

Keep us posted.
To be honest I'd rather them take the car to the dealership.. Yes, I'll keep ya posted
Old 02-16-2015, 04:31 PM

I agree with you 100% and would push for that. As I have never used them, I'm not sure what is within their guidelines, but would push for that.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that Acura Roadside Assistance wasn't a call made prior to typing out the first post. Modern cars are notorious for dead batteries with no warning. I had it happen on my Infiniti and Mercedes. Both times parked in my driveway or garage thankfully. A call to roadside assistance and within a couple of hours I had new batteries. Call them, they don't just do flats and they do make house calls.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Frazmcp26
To be honest I'd rather them take the car to the dealership.. Yes, I'll keep ya posted
Jump starting right now will not help unless you are planning to drive it to the dealer right away. The charge will not hold, and you need a new battery. It is better to wait for the jump start to a convenient time rather than getting the car tower.

If you have jumper cables you will be able to start it from another car with the engine racing. I have tried with a battery packs with mixed results.

Trust me, I have been there with my TLX.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Update:

Acura road service just left and tried to start the car first with a portable battery pack, that failed then with a car to car jump start and that failed... The car electronics lite up but the car wouldn't turn over....after an hour with no success he told me I need a tow to the dealership.

I chose to have the car towed back to dealership (16mi away) where I purchased the car (Flatbed will pickup car in the am). I preferred the closer dealership 5miles away but was concerned my issue wouldn't take priority since I didn't purchase it there.

Last edited by Frazmcp26; 02-16-2015 at 07:46 PM.
tlxsteve (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 08:30 PM

I would have done the same (towing to the dealer you purchased from) and I'm sure they will take care of you. Most folks probably don't have two dealers within 16 miles of their home, but you will want to establish a relationship with one and maintain it. A good relationship with a dealer and/or service advisor can be invaluable down the road. Good luck tomorrow and here is hoping for a quick fix
Old 02-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Wow! I've been awfully lucky or is it because I live in a warm state?

I have never used a trickle charger or had the battery go dead when the car was new. I can understand it happens but is this more frequent in the frozen north?

I have left previous cars sit idle for 30 days while I was on deployment and never had an issue starting up the first time on return. Maybe with all of the tech the TLX has, it is a power hog? I could see that.

Amazing how northerners live so differently than southerners.

trickle chargers, snow tires, heated steering wheels...
Old 02-17-2015, 07:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

I do not have a trickle charger, and my problem occurred in warm conditions last September. Just back from a 2 week vacations with the car left in about 45F temperature garage. It started easily on my return.

Could be that if these batteries are run down below a certain point that there is no recovery.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
acura oem batteries have always known to be weak.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Good tip...Any recommendations on a good trickle charger?
Extreme cold and extreme heat (in that order) are batteries biggest enemies.. third would be not having been properly and completely charged initially. Low charge initial use batteries can usually be resurrected as long as they still have at least a 60-70 percent charge with no dead cells....but, they will never provide the service life that a properly prepared battery will.

I recommend "Battery Tender's". I like them because they are small and automatic. They have quick connect clamps that I use on my cars and also have "pig tails" that you can leave connected to your batteries that have a quick connect plug...I use these on my motorcycles. Simple to use, plug in, get red light while charging and it turns green when charge is complete. if battery has a dead cell, it will let you know with blinking yellow. I keep three of them going back and forth between vehicles and one has been in constant use for over 14 years.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 02-17-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Extreme cold and extreme heat (in that order) are batteries biggest enemies.. third would be not having been properly and completely charged initially. Low charge initial use batteries can usually be resurrected as long as they still have at least a 60-70 percent charge with no dead cells....but, they will never provide the service life that a properly prepared battery will.

I recommend "Battery Tender's". I like them because they are small and automatic. They have quick connect clamps that I use on my cars and also have "pig tails" that you can leave connected to your batteries that have a quick connect plug...I use these on my motorcycles. Simple to use, plug in, get red light while charging and it turns green when charge is complete. if battery has a dead cell, it will let you know with blinking yellow. I keep three of them going back and forth between vehicles and one has been in constant use for over 14 years.
Thanks Great info Good to know!!
Old 02-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

Update:
Tow truck just picked up my TLX and en route to dealership ... I received call from my salesman offering a loaner will be available if needed. I just want my baby back in A1 working condition....It would be nice if a tint job is thrown in
Old 02-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

A loaner is reasonable, but that will be all.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:55 PM

Update:
Tow truck just picked up my TLX and en route to dealership ... I received call from my salesman offering a loaner will be available if needed. I just want my baby back in A1 working condition....It would be nice if a tint job is thrown in
I though they were going to pick it up this AM??

Originally Posted by Quandry
A loaner is reasonable, but that will be all.
Agreed. I wouldn't expect more than a loaner, but who knows what your salesperson might be able to do.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

I though they were going to pick it up this AM??

We were hit with 4 inches of snow so that delayed the flatbed truck.

Agreed. I wouldn't expect more than a loaner, but who knows what your salesperson might be able to do.
On a brighter note service called and said my baby is ready to roll. The problem was a dead cell so the battery was replaced. My salesman also called me and said my first two maintenance service will be no charge. He also reminded me to please give him a good write up on the Acura survey.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:54 PM

Sounds good on your car and it's good to see your saleman step up and take care of you!
Frazmcp26 (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Intermediate

Sounds good on your car and it's good to see your saleman step up and take care of you!
Also a BIG thanks to you and the forum for tips and insight into the matter!!
Old 02-17-2015, 06:03 PM

No problem and that's what makes this one of the best car enthusiast forums on the net!!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Wow! I've been awfully lucky or is it because I live in a warm state?

I have never used a trickle charger or had the battery go dead when the car was new. I can understand it happens but is this more frequent in the frozen north?

I have left previous cars sit idle for 30 days while I was on deployment and never had an issue starting up the first time on return. Maybe with all of the tech the TLX has, it is a power hog? I could see that.

Amazing how northerners live so differently than southerners.

trickle chargers, snow tires, heated steering wheels...
Well, I've lived in Houston and Dallas most of my life and I've had a battery go dead unexpectedly in my 3G TL on 3 occasions. One time the car wouldn't start while I was in a Walmart parking lot in Oklahoma. Luckily they had a auto service center. The guy there jumped my car, and once we figured out each other's languages and I pretended to care about NASCAR, I was on my way!

I drive the hell out of my cars at night, in the morning, in sub-freezing temps, in 100+ temps, with multiple start/stops per day, and average about 20-25,000 miles per year with XM/navi always on, so I can kind of understand. The old 3G TL's also had a bug in them that allowed them to drain the battery even when the car was off. Can't remember what it was.

BTW, read this. It'll help you understand why there's a saying that "batteries die in the summer, but wait until winter to keel over" : Summer Battery Care Tips | Interstate Batteries System of America Inc.
tlxsteve (02-18-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sad to hear that experience with your new TLX. I live on the island as well, what dealership did you buy in and which was closer to you. I got mine at Rallye and never looked back from the closer dealer!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Well, I've lived in Houston and Dallas most of my life and I've had a battery go dead unexpectedly in my 3G TL on 3 occasions. One time the car wouldn't start while I was in a Walmart parking lot in Oklahoma. Luckily they had a auto service center. The guy there jumped my car, and once we figured out each other's languages and I pretended to care about NASCAR, I was on my way!

I drive the hell out of my cars at night, in the morning, in sub-freezing temps, in 100+ temps, with multiple start/stops per day, and average about 20-25,000 miles per year with XM/navi always on, so I can kind of understand. The old 3G TL's also had a bug in them that allowed them to drain the battery even when the car was off. Can't remember what it was.

BTW, read this. It'll help you understand why there's a saying that "batteries die in the summer, but wait until winter to keel over" : Summer Battery Care Tips | Interstate Batteries System of America Inc.
Thanks I'll give it read later

Originally Posted by Randy4
Sad to hear that experience with your new TLX. I live on the island as well, what dealership did you buy in and which was closer to you. I got mine at Rallye and never looked back from the closer dealer!
I got mines at Paragon Acura but Valley Stream Acura is a lot closer

Quick Reply: Dead TLX Battery....SMH