Current state of TLX issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Current state of TLX issues?

I am considering 2017 or 2016 TLX V6 (Tech or Advance package). I have read a lot of threads and complaints sites. Is there a thread about the current state of these issues that popped up couple years ago? The threads have gotten so long that it's hard to find if there was ever a true fix for these issues.

I would like to know whether the following problems are fixed:
1) VCM vibrations
2) Jerky up-shift down-shift near 2-3rd gear
3) Loud hissing noise from top AC vents near windshield when climate control set to floor-only mode.

Please add other widespread issues that are known.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:12 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Have NEVER had hissing of any kind, or VCM vibrations
After installing the 2016 version of the ZF 9 speed, tranny problems are slim & none!
2015 TLX/SH-AWD/Tech/13,000 miles
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (12-09-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
neoforever...why not wait a few more months and get the 2018! I think that car will be better than the 2017 (or 16)
Old 12-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by weather
neoforever...why not wait a few more months and get the 2018! I think that car will be better than the 2017 (or 16)
Oh I agree it will be. And it's tempting. However, new gen/models tend to be plagued with issues/recalls. I'm a bit too risk-averse I guess.
The following users liked this post:
slimm1469 (04-20-2017)
Old 12-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
Have NEVER had hissing of any kind, or VCM vibrations
After installing the 2016 version of the ZF 9 speed, tranny problems are slim & none!
2015 TLX/SH-AWD/Tech/13,000 miles
Same here.
The following 2 users liked this post by 9SpeedTran:
Neoforever (12-09-2016), wlkeel (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Neoforever
Oh I agree it will be. And it's tempting. However, new gen/models tend to be plagued with issues/recalls. I'm a bit too risk-averse I guess.
The 2018 TLX will be a MMC, not a new gen/model. I suspect it will have better reliability than the 2015-17 models, since Honda hopefully will have had time to fix the problems with the earlier TLXs.
The following 2 users liked this post by cruiserchuck:
Neoforever (12-09-2016), weather (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I am considering 2017 or 2016 TLX V6 (Tech or Advance package). I have read a lot of threads and complaints sites. Is there a thread about the current state of these issues that popped up couple years ago? The threads have gotten so long that it's hard to find if there was ever a true fix for these issues.

1) VCM vibrations
3) Loud hissing noise from top AC vents near windshield when climate control set to floor-only mode.

I have an early build 2015 TLX SH-AWD and the only issue my vehicle ever experienced on your list was #2. The transmission was replaced last Feb and has been fine ever since.

Never had any VCM vibrations or any vent or climate control issues.

I did have the vibrations (nothing to do with VCM) around 70mph and had my tires swapped last Feb to Michelins which helped and just had TSB 16-057 applied a couple of weeks ago which has fixed any remaining vibration.

Last edited by neil0311; 12-09-2016 at 05:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by neil0311:
Neoforever (12-09-2016), wlkeel (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
cruiserchuck....Great post! You stated exactly what I was going to say.....The only thing that COULD potentially change this answer is if they introduce a new 10 speed transmission but its not like the 9 speed has been problem free
Old 12-11-2016, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

1) VCM vibrations

I am about to take my 2016 in for the first time. There is very clearly a loud hissing noise as you mention in #3. Also, the fan noise is excessively loud.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) VCM vibrations

I have a 2016

1. No problem, and I have my doubts that any of the vibration issues some had have are caused by VCM. Rather, I think they are just a bit of engine lugging from being in to high a gear. My 2009 TSX had that also. There is also the issue of vibration at higher speeds, for which there is a TSB.

2. That particular rough shift is mostly I. 2015s before transmission replacement. I have had a few cases where 1-2 or 2-3 causes engages a bit more forcibly than I'd like, but I would not call it rough.

3. No comment, as I generally run climate off or auto.

What is common is delayed shifts in either direction 4<>5 and 7<>8, because of the dog clutches. For some models before 2017 (and maybe even 2017, for all I know), there is a TSB relating to a software patch, which may help,some, and which I plan to ask about on my oil first oil change I expect in the next few weeks, which I will do at 50%.

Last edited by cube1; 12-15-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Intermediate

September build 2017 SH-AWD with advance. Zero issues as of 508 miles..... got a steal of a deal due to the new ones coming out. Did two extensive test drives looking for issues, found none.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Great thread! I'm in the same boat as Neoforever. I really want a TLX and am using this forum (thank you all) as part of my due diligence. There have been a lot of issues since 2015 and it's not easy to find out if they've been solved or not. And yes, my Accord has spoiled me in terms of reliability ,,,
Old 04-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Intermediate

I ended up purchasing a 2017 TLX SH-AWD a few months ago. I'm at ~4000 miles and I've been meaning to post my detailed experience with it but haven't had the time. I'll leave this here in the meantime:
1) No VCM or other vibrations noticed
2) The only jerky shift's I've noticed are around 2-3 or 3-4 (approx) upshifts when the car has not been used for the weekend and I don't let it warm up for more than a couple minutes. It's not uncomfortable but it's noticeable. I've noticed it in my Ford too. So perhaps not uncommon. The manual shifting can be a bit sluggish so make sure to properly test it out.
3) The windshield vent noise is definitely there (and needlessly loud) when the fan is set to floor/feet mode. I'd say bad design.

Unrelated to this thread but I'll add this:
1) I HATE the voice command system. 5 year old Fords have better voice command interface. It's pretty much useless at doing anything past dealer gimmicks. So try finding the nearest restaurants, stores and you'll see.
2) I HATE the Navigation. I've given it many tries. Absolutely no contest against a smartphone nav app.
3) Bluetooth cuts-in! Again, 5 year old Fords have better BT. In the TLX (I've confirmed others do it too), there is some sort of 2 second cut-off of audio when the stream starts. Which means that if you are using Waze or Maps (and you aren't playing music or other constant audio stream), first few words of your voice guidance will be muted/cut-off. (e.g. "[In a quarter mile], turn right"). This plus the shitty built-in Nav is infuriating. This problem is in addition to the fact that BT also has a 2 second lag from the phone to the speakers. Dealer confirmed these problems exist in many TLXs and probably regardless of phone models.

Please test the car properly for an extended period of time without dealer's chatter while driving. One dealer let me test it for an hour and another said they had a loaner program so I could take it home for a day. My advice: use the car the way you would everyday (look past the extra features for a bit) and make your decision on whether you'd be happy with it. For my price, I don't regret the purchase. But there is a lot to be desired for a brand and trim of this level.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Intermediate

Hmm, Neoforever... My 2011 Ford Fusion's Sync voice control is pretty pitiful! I seldom do more than ask it to go "USB" or "BLUETOOTH". Outside of that I've given up on it. I agree that my iPhone nav is likely a better navigator app than the one built in, but at least on the TLX it just came with other stuff I wanted and appreciated. Mostly I use the Acuralink to send destinations to the car, or use the the Acuralink app. I like sending destinations from the app. I definitely agree voice control was NOT a factor in my buying this car. I looked long and hard at a new Fusion Sport, but just could not bring myself to buy another Ford. There is no comparing the two interiors in my humble opinion. I LIKE the TLX way better than I liked the new Fusion. Plus I could not get past the crappy digital mini tach on the new Fusion. I LOVE looking the instruments on this car.

My bluetooth is working flawlessly in this TLX. There is a bit of a lag when skipping from one song to the next, but no problem in the playback. Its exactly the same experience as in our 2012 Honda Pilot.

I've read of others having the bluetooth issues though and it was one of the things I tested out on my extensive test drives on this particular car.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:24 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Most car manufacturer navigation systems suck... personally I think the Acura system does a more accurate job of navigation versus my wife's Lexus. That Lexus navigation is horrible, always not picking the quickest route.

I never liked or found a Voice Command that worked flawless so I rarely use them. My Acura and my wife's Lexus is hit or miss. Only my Amazon Echo seems to work well 90% of the time without me having to repeat the command.... and yes I speak fluent English.

My Bluetooth is also hit or miss. Sometimes works great and other times has issues. I honestly don't know if it's the Car or my Samsung Note 5.

Honestly I think car manufacturers should just give up on making their own Nav/Audio Systems and outsource it to electronics/software companies that specialize in that stuff.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:21 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Must not be out until the end of the year?