Brake Hold engages before car is at a full stop while braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Brake Hold engages before car is at a full stop while braking

I have experienced the Brake Hold feature engaging even before the car is at a full stop of several occasions. The result would be a sudden stop that scares the crap outta you.

The TLX is basically my daily work commuter as we use my wife's Lexus on weekends. My work commute consist of heavy traffic... lots of stop and go. So I like to use Brake Hold to reduce the fatigue of constantly holding the brake. But I noticed on several occasions that while braking under 5 mph the car would engage the brake hold before the car was at a full stop.

Has anyone use brake hold and experienced this?
Old 03-29-2017, 02:12 PM
SH-AWD TECH

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I have not experienced this. Take it to the dealer asap as this could be a safety issue.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
I have heard of something similar. It does not sound right. Take it to the dealer to get fixed. Hopefully you can duplicate the issue there!
Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2016 TLX and think I have this issue. I thought it was the transmission down shifting and grabbing and it feels like someone rear ending you. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:37 PM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by wirekat
I have a 2016 TLX and think I have this issue. I thought it was the transmission down shifting and grabbing and it feels like someone rear ending you. Thanks for the heads up!
Yep that is exactly the sensation.... like you where rear ended.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:11 PM
CBP TLX

I had it checked at my dealership and even test drove another TLX to see if I could replicate it. I was able to replicate it on another TLX (2.4 Tech).

When you brake hard with Brake Hold activated it will grab the brakes a bit too early (just before the car is at a full stop) giving you a sensation that you were rear ended.

The dealer said that at this time they can only monitor the issue and there is no fix at this time.... Huh?

Anyways, I think my dealer is tired of seeing me. As there are many issues with my TLX.

See this thread for one of my many sagas with my TLX and my Dealership Service Dept.
https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g.../#post16005026
Old 04-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
I've experienced the exact thing happen in my 16 2.4 base. In certain situation such as aggressive braking, if you let off of the brake pedal just before the car comes to a rest, the transmission will slam down into 1st gear and the brake hold will engage. You can feel the break pedal being sucked down into the floor, and watch the HOLD light illuminate as it happens. This makes car stop instantly and violently. I've had it had it happen a hand full of times over the last 9000 miles of ownership. Other times in stop and go traffic the brake hold system will get confused and apply full brakes while your creeping along. I have a friend with a 16 Civic with break hold feature and he has the same complaint. Nevertheless brake hold is a system I immediately miss when I am in a car that doesnt have it.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 AM
CBP TLX

Yep sounds about right.... Seems that Honda/Acura's version of Brake Hold has issues that need refinement... since it is a "characteristic" of the system. I am hoping enough people complain so that maybe Honda/Acura will revise it.

I first thought It might be the transmission as the 8sp DCT can shift hard if you are in Sport mode. But it only happens when Brake Hold is active.

Btw, I was first introduced to Brake Hold in my wife's Lexus. The system works about the same way. You activate the Brake Hold button and press down firmly on brake pedal while stopped to engage it. However, Lexus version is much more refined with no early engagement issues.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B17-015.PDF
Acura just came out with this new TSB.