Auto Idle Stop Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:45 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Auto Idle Stop Problem

I am interested to know if anyone has had a problem like I am currently experiencing with my 2015 TLX (SH-AWD Tech). And if so did your dealer resolve it and what was the cause. I was unable to find this problem described anywhere else on Acurazine. The problem is related to the Auto idle stop feature and occurs intermittently. What happens is when the idle stop activates the engine shuts down but then the car electronics seem to go into a 'hung-up' state and the car won't restart. When this fault occurs the transmission shifts to neutral, the dash engine and battery lights come on and the message 'To Start Engine: Brake and Push Start' is displayed. However, the car will not start when the start button is pressed. It usually takes about 3-4 minutes of repeated attempts before the dash lights turn off, the car fully 'turns-off' and it restarts. My dealership has been unable to replicate the problem although they thought the battery was the cause as it failed a lengthy diagnostic test. The battery was replaced but the problem reoccurred 3 weeks later. I have escalated the problem to Acura Canada and the dealership again. I am now waiting to learn what their action plan will be. In the mean time, if anyone has had this problem or something similar I would appreciate a response. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:22 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same issue. It became so frequent I could tell when it was most likely to occur and finally captured it on video. The dealer and AutoZone both ran tests over the past 2 months and declared the battery good, but yesterday Acura replaced my battery. The restarts are much stronger now.

If you search for "Acura TLX engine failing start after idle stop" you will find another forum that discusses the same issue. The most common similarities are the older the battery and the colder the temperature, the more it seems to occur. That would seem to indicate a dying battery.

This is the first time I have heard of the problem reoccurring after the battery replacement. I will monitor mine. If the battery fix doesn't work, then the next scenario might be a temperature related short in the Power Control Module.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:01 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the response Nascar9900. I found the other forum you referred to and it looks like I am not alone in the Ottawa area having this problem. While most problems appeared to be resolved by battery replacement, one person ended up with the starter being replaced. I will follow-up with my dealer again.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Have had similar issues, although never failed to start. Only the following errors that show up. After restart everything seems fine.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the info re the error messages. Unfortunately I don't get any messages when this problem occurs. I wish I did because then it would provide the dealership something to go on when trying to diagnose the cause of the failure.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:09 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pco0106
I am interested to know if anyone has had a problem like I am currently experiencing with my 2015 TLX (SH-AWD Tech). And if so did your dealer resolve it and what was the cause. I was unable to find this problem described anywhere else on Acurazine. The problem is related to the Auto idle stop feature and occurs intermittently. What happens is when the idle stop activates the engine shuts down but then the car electronics seem to go into a 'hung-up' state and the car won't restart. When this fault occurs the transmission shifts to neutral, the dash engine and battery lights come on and the message 'To Start Engine: Brake and Push Start' is displayed. However, the car will not start when the start button is pressed. It usually takes about 3-4 minutes of repeated attempts before the dash lights turn off, the car fully 'turns-off' and it restarts. My dealership has been unable to replicate the problem although they thought the battery was the cause as it failed a lengthy diagnostic test. The battery was replaced but the problem reoccurred 3 weeks later. I have escalated the problem to Acura Canada and the dealership again. I am now waiting to learn what their action plan will be. In the mean time, if anyone has had this problem or something similar I would appreciate a response. Thanks!
I have the same vehicle. It has 25,000 miles on it. This issue just started for me a couple of months ago. I researched it on Google and found lots of similar complaints. I I wrote to Acura customer care and included copies of at least a dozen of the same complaint that I found on the internet. Acura advised me that they have no knowledge of this problem and no plans to issue a service bulletin or recall. If you are experiencing this problem - PLEASE contact Acura (you can lodge the complaint directly on their website under "customer care" ) so they become aware of the problem and find a fix for it. This issue is very dangerous to the driver!
Old 10-29-2019, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear

Did the new battery fix the problem?
Old 10-29-2019, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I recall this happening to someone else and a new battery seemed to provide a "fix". However, if it's a battery issue such as mine, be prepared to keep replacing batteries. There is something draining my battery and no dealer seems to be able to figure out what.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:23 PM
4th Gear

I am on my 4th battery (replaced under warranty) and I have resorted to using a battery trickle charger to keep the battery charged fully. I believe the root problem is the battery supplied with the 2015 V6 SH-AWD models is underrated for the car. With the 2016 and newer models Acura changed the battery to one with more cold cranking amps. For example, if you check the battery replacement guide at Costco, the OEM 2015 battery is rated at 440 amps, while all newer ones are 650. Costco's replacement for both is the Energizer H6 AGM (760 cold cranking amps) selling for $215 on Costco.ca (Canadian site).
Before my 4-year warranty expired a year ago, I lodged a formal complaint with Acura Canada about this problem as the local dealer despite numerous attempts working with Acura's engineering support were unable to determine the root cause. They could not find any problems using the diagnostic tools available to them. The solution was always to just replace the battery. Acura Customer Service confirmed to me in July 2018 that they were fully aware of the auto-idle stop problem and numerous service directives were sent to dealerships regarding testing for and dealing with defective batteries. I was told that the problem was sent to Engineering in Japan to investigate/resolve as the engineers in the USA were unable to solve it. The "solution" provided to me was to disable the auto-idle stop feature every time I used the car. Wonderful! The dealership also recommended I use a trickle charger to keep the battery charged adequately. Given the problems I had also experienced with the car including transmission replacement and all the inconvenience, Acura extended my warranty to 7 years/130,000 KMs (~80,000 miles) at no charge to me. So, since July 2018 I use the trickle charger frequently and will wait until the battery dies (replace with the Energizer) or I replace the car....
Old 11-26-2019, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

Auto stop issue

I have also had this problem on my 2016 tlx. Just got the car back yesterday with my third battery. Service manager has committed to looking into the issue and agrees replacing the battery seems to be a fix of a symptom and not of the problem. Based on what I have read on this site and the other one mentioned in this thread, confidence is not high on any real solution.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pco0106
I am on my 4th battery (replaced under warranty) and I have resorted to using a battery trickle charger to keep the battery charged fully. I believe the root problem is the battery supplied with the 2015 V6 SH-AWD models is underrated for the car. With the 2016 and newer models Acura changed the battery to one with more cold cranking amps. For example, if you check the battery replacement guide at Costco, the OEM 2015 battery is rated at 440 amps, while all newer ones are 650. Costco's replacement for both is the Energizer H6 AGM (760 cold cranking amps) selling for $215 on Costco.ca (Canadian site).
Before my 4-year warranty expired a year ago, I lodged a formal complaint with Acura Canada about this problem as the local dealer despite numerous attempts working with Acura's engineering support were unable to determine the root cause. They could not find any problems using the diagnostic tools available to them. The solution was always to just replace the battery. Acura Customer Service confirmed to me in July 2018 that they were fully aware of the auto-idle stop problem and numerous service directives were sent to dealerships regarding testing for and dealing with defective batteries. I was told that the problem was sent to Engineering in Japan to investigate/resolve as the engineers in the USA were unable to solve it. The "solution" provided to me was to disable the auto-idle stop feature every time I used the car. Wonderful! The dealership also recommended I use a trickle charger to keep the battery charged adequately. Given the problems I had also experienced with the car including transmission replacement and all the inconvenience, Acura extended my warranty to 7 years/130,000 KMs (~80,000 miles) at no charge to me. So, since July 2018 I use the trickle charger frequently and will wait until the battery dies (replace with the Energizer) or I replace the car....
Would you be willing to share any communication between you and your dealer (or Acura), regarding ACS confirmation in 2018, as well as their recommandation to use a trickle charger? If so, I've already sent you a private message with an Email address where you could send me the information. Thanks in advance.