2015 TLX Center (console) Pocket Tray Sliding cover problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The center pocket tray sliding cover at the front of the horizontal part of our Acura 2015 TLX Advance has stopped catching when pushed open and snaps closed if not hand held. Is there any fix for this problem short of a visit to an Acura dealer (I get all required servicing from a high quality independent shop that used Acura parts when necessary, but hasn't faced this issue)? The limited information in the TLX owner's manual is limited to the following: "To open the center pocket tray, push the tray forward until it latches. To close, push forward on the tab until the tray release (sic), then pull the tray rearward to the fully closed position." (Manual page 191) This no longer works for our TLX. Any advice re this annoying if minor problem will be much appreciated. Other than this our car has been bullet proof over the first twenty seven months with none of the issues that Consumer Reports has attributed to the TLX.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
When my cover would not release, I sprayed a very small amount of "303" vinyl protectant on both tracks that the lid glides on and repeatedly moved the lid in order to spread the liquid, then wiped off any excess. This fixed my problem.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:50 PM
10th Gear

TLX15
Thanks for your reply and my apologies for not acknowledging it at the time. However, my problem is not being able to free the sliding pocket tray cover to slide easily but getting it to catch when pushed back to full open so that we can access the pocket tray without having to manually hold the full open cover pushed all the way back. I suspect that there is some kind of catch that is supposed to engage when the tray cover is pushed back but it is not working. Any other thoughts?
Old 08-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry I was not clear. I understand your problem, and I thought perhaps, since the catch in my car was a bit sticky, and loosened when I lubed it, that in the same way, the latch in yours might do well with some lube. It may allow it to hold the lid opened.
When you slide the cover open, do you feel slight resistance just prior to the fully open position? If not, have you tried to push the lid a little past what seems to be fully open? I ask because the mechanism to hold the cover open might just need to be gently pushed past a stuck position.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:42 PM
10th Gear

TLX15
Thank you once again for responding re my problem and apologies again for not acknowledging this promptly. I've tried the maneuver you suggested and no luck. I suspect that the latch/catch is broken. Not clear whether this is a warranty item or how much work is involved in accessing the catch to repair it. It's a bother because normally we would keep the tray cover open so that we can easily access the USB drive and maintain easy access to the tray. Now it takes one hand just to hold the tray cover open. I guess I'll have to take it in to the dealer that in our case is about 35 miles away.