2015 TLX-AWD Vibration - Escalating

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news, do u mind sharing how did u get it replaced ?
U just go back to the dealer and they upgrade u ? I'm sure u can upgrase for a price !!!! like how much was the extra payment.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm just curious with the whole vibration issue. I think I noticed extreme vibration when I hit 120km/hr which is 80mph once but I wasn't really able mimic that again after. I do notice there's slight vibration in the gas petal and steering wheel when I'm driving and tends to increase slightly when speed increase. Is that normal?
Old 12-07-2015, 12:02 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Vlke
I'm just curious with the whole vibration issue. I think I noticed extreme vibration when I hit 120km/hr which is 80mph once but I wasn't really able mimic that again after. I do notice there's slight vibration in the gas petal and steering wheel when I'm driving and tends to increase slightly when speed increase. Is that normal?
Cruising 90-110km/hr would make the vibration noticable especially in colder climate when the tire pressure is lower.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Navon01
Cruising 90-110km/hr would make the vibration noticable especially in colder climate when the tire pressure is lower.

For me it was only once when its about 120km/hr with normal tire pressure. I'm curious about the slight vibration in gas petal and steering wheel at all time and was wondering if that's what everyone else is experiencing.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Didn't see this thread before, and actually the first I am hearing of this problem.

My own AWD car has been vibration free, even on aftermarket 19 inch wheels/tires.

Seems like people are describing 2 different issues. One that mimics an out of balance wheel/tire, and others seem to be describing more perceptible VCM vibrations. VCM on my car is pretty subtle. I have to really concentrate to feel it, and all I feel is a very mild shudder, and the throttle response is slightly different.

I bought a CPO RDX from Acura of Manhattan. They swapped the tires before I bought it and managed to mount the tires inside out. Took pics and submitted the bill to them for full reimbursement after my local trusted tire guy corrected the issue. Point being I don't trust dealerships for tire work, and if u were having these issues I would go to a trusted tire shop for road force balancing. If that helps, I'd submit them the bill for reimbursement.
I believe you nailed it when referring to VCM vibrations that you really had to concentrate to notice. I believe, in many cases, including my own, that's exactly what happens. It is certainly there, especially at lower speeds when 3 cylinders shut down, but it's within the normal range. once you hyper focus….then it becomes a bigger issue. Human nature.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello I Have a 2015 Acura TLX 2.4l Base, Built Feb 15. I have some vibration from the back end of the car the front of the car is good. Wheels check out fine when I went in to get them balanced. So I did some research, it looks like Acura changed part numbers for the rear rotors on our cars with a new part number.

2015 Acura TLX Base 2.4L
2015 Acura TLX 4 Door TLX KA DCT Rear Brake - AcuraPartsWarehouse.com

2015 Acura TLX (SH-AWD) V6
2015 Acura TLX 4 Door TECH (SH-AWD) KA 9AT Rear Brake

2015 Acura TLX 4 Door TLX V6
2015 Acura TLX 4 Door TLX KA 9AT Rear Brake - AcuraPartsWarehouse.com

Old Part number "42510-TZ3-A50" new part number "42510-TZ3-A51".

Looks Like all of the TLX have the same Rotors in the back.

So I am very curious to see if it is rotors that are off balanced causing this problem.

Over the next week or two I will be buying these rear rotors and see if they fix the vibration problems I am having. I will let you know if it fixes the problem. If it does I will be going to the dealer and explain the problem and hopefully they update my car with the newer rotors from Acura.
Amazon.com: Centric 120.40081 Brake Rotor: Automotive Amazon.com: Centric 120.40081 Brake Rotor: Automotive
Old 12-11-2015, 12:25 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
I am glad that your was resolved! I am hoping my day will come too one day, just not sure when - until then, I am basically pissed each time I drive the car

BTW, How did you manage to go from 2015 to 2016 model? was it thru a lemon law, or did you perhaps take a hit and sold '15 and purchased 16 model?
Thanks, sorry for the late reply found this in my junk mail
I can understand the frustration having this issue on new car - I leased the car with 0 down --after they could not fix the car, (had 300 miles when I first noticed issue) I dropped the car off at the dealer and told them ' here is your car back' I called Acura financial and told them to stop payments. The dealer came through and was able to get me the 2016 with all the same incentives and no loss in depreciation as long as I was happy with how the 2016 drove if not they would just take the car back and find me a different model of car. Further I purchased two tlx awd at the same time (leased one and bought one). The 2nd one I am also having issues with (vibration) that a different dealer is unable to fix and am pursuing getting it rectified as well
We will see if Acura is so motivated on a replacing a car that was out right purchased vs leased
Old 12-14-2015, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear

This is really disturbing. I too am having a vibration problem. I had the dealership work on it after having the car for 3-4 days. Although better at the 72 mpg mark I still feel the shimmy but have been reluctant to bring it in again because of the hassle. I now have 1950 miles or so and realize after reading these posts it's not me...but the car. I personally would like my money back but I bet that won't happen. This should not happen on an expensive vehicle like this (2015 awd tech). I guess I'll bring it in again and reference these other issues with hopes that they can repair the problem and make it run true. If not perhaps I'll suggest the posts idea of having anther tire shop fix the issue and have Acura pay the invoice.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mojo_79
When I was manually switching gears, I was maintaining the same speed, between 70-75mph. I don't have any noticeable vibrations in the steering wheel, I feel it in the seats. Here's a short 6-second video that will help visualize what I'm describing.

TLX 70mph Vibrations
Wow ... insane vibration in the vid ...
Old 12-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corey_Straker
This must be beyond frustrating. I am working on solving a death shake at 65-72mph in my 07 TL Type-S and I have been unsuccessful at solving my problems also. I have tried the following:

-4 brand new tires, mounted and balanced by a tech I personally know and trust.
-2 Brand New axels with new axel nuts, installed again by a tech I know.
-Brand new half shaft
-Several Alignments with the Hunter system.
-Checked the roundness of the wheels.
-Brand new OEM rotors and pads all around (rear BBK 2-piece rotor even balanced).
-New bushings all around
-New a-spec suspension

I've spent thousands, with nothing helping the cause.

I can't imagine how infuriating it is having a car you just spent $45,000+ on having an "unsolvable" problem. Best of luck.
I have a co-worker that asked me for an opinion when she was car-shopping a few months ago. She has been leasing Acuras (2 TSX's) for a few years and she makes 100k+, so I told her, in all honesty, to stay [VERY FAR] away from the new Acuras. I am coming from a 2nd RDX so I know what I am talking about.

Well, she apparently got an excellent deal and went against my advice. Right now, 3 months into a new TLX 4-cyl, she is miserable with innumerable problems (trans jerkiness, vibration, slow electronics, awful camera, atari-like NAV, etc). I feel pity for her and do not want to retort to the "I told you so", but I just asked her, do you think you can put up 3 more years with all of this? She said that she doesnt think she can, then my 2nd advice was "well, go and lease a new A4 or 328i; you will loose money in the process but you will be happy", and in the end of the day, that's what counts
Old 12-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine is still vibrating as well but the new tires mitigated the vibration quite a bit.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:32 PM
2nd Gear

New tires on your new TLX...at who's expense - Acura's? They told me they replaced one of my tires. It's much less now though still at cruising speed 72 - 80 the vibration starts. Very disconcerting as you hit speed the vehicle begins to shutter.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by #172CR
Mine is still vibrating as well but the new tires mitigated the vibration quite a bit.
what tires did you get? who paid for them?

My car is at my local dealer as we speak for the 5th time regarding this issue. this time the regional people are looking at it.
I mentioned to my service manager that some people resolved the vibration issues by going to 19" wheels and better tires. I would be willing to pay few hundred $ to trade-up to 19" accessory wheels and better tires, but if that not solve my problem I am pretty much done with this car and the Acura. My wife will be sad to let it go (its hers car), but she also said that she would be happy driving a new civic or anything 4-door that is on a sporty side and has HID/LED's and backup camera - except ILX - she hated that car last time we had it as a loaner. I am also looking at some options to replace my aging TL and definitely will be more open minded about other brands which is sad after exclusively owning honda/acura products for almost 20 years.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

My car is at my local dealer as we speak for the 5th time regarding this issue. this time the regional people are looking at it.
I mentioned to my service manager that some people resolved the vibration issues by going to 19" wheels and better tires. I would be willing to pay few hundred $ to trade-up to 19" accessory wheels and better tires, but if that not solve my problem I am pretty much done with this car and the Acura. My wife will be sad to let it go (its hers car), but she also said that she would be happy driving a new civic or anything 4-door that is on a sporty side and has HID/LED's and backup camera - except ILX - she hated that car last time we had it as a loaner. I am also looking at some options to replace my aging TL and definitely will be more open minded about other brands which is sad after exclusively owning honda/acura products for almost 20 years.

I came back from the dealer. They put a new wheels/tires - same kind/brand. Basically a swap from a different TLX. I didnt have a chance to drive the car at the highway speeds, but the normal driving seems to be about the same as on the previous wheels/tires. I will report back tomorrow once I have a chance to drive this car on a highway. I am really hoping that this is it as I am sick and tired of dealing with this issue. wish me luck
Old 12-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by reidg
New tires on your new TLX...at who's expense - Acura's? They told me they replaced one of my tires. It's much less now though still at cruising speed 72 - 80 the vibration starts. Very disconcerting as you hit speed the vehicle begins to shutter.

Yes, Acura's. After numerous times at the dealer and discussions with the regional Acura Service representative they put a set of the bridgestone potenza's on that come on the non AWD V6.

Don't get me wrong, it's still there, and even took a 600 mile road trip yesterday and it was bad above 75mph, but the new tires helped the 50mph-75mph that I am normally in quite a bit.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

I came back from the dealer. They put a new wheels/tires - same kind/brand. Basically a swap from a different TLX. I didnt have a chance to drive the car at the highway speeds, but the normal driving seems to be about the same as on the previous wheels/tires. I will report back tomorrow once I have a chance to drive this car on a highway. I am really hoping that this is it as I am sick and tired of dealing with this issue. wish me luck
Unfortunately the dealer managed to messed up my car soo badly that is it un-drivable on the highway. the car vibrates and shakes soo badly it is not safe anymore to drive faster then 60mph in it. Will be going back on Monday morning to drop it off.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Old 12-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Unfortunately the dealer managed to messed up my car soo badly that is it un-drivable on the highway. the car vibrates and shakes soo badly it is not safe anymore to drive faster then 60mph in it. Will be going back on Monday morning to drop it off.
da fawk are they doing at your dealership? did they not even drive on the freeway after they "fixed" it? that is absolutely unacceptable!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:06 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Taking my TLX in tomorrow morning to look at the VCM vibration. Mine is worst when I'm going around 40 mph in the city. Usually does it on straight, flat roads. I know the Acura video says some owners may be more sensitive to the vibration, but this doesn't seem normal. The vibration is pretty consistent so I'm going to be extremely annoyed if my car doesn't do it for Acura tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Racer

Took the lead technician for a test drive in my TLX. He noticed the vibration was there. Went back to the dealer and was told that this was normal and all TLX's are doing this and that they can't just start throwing parts into the car without knowing the solution. On a different note, one of the service advisers said that his wife's 2011 BMW 5 series does the same thing but worse. But I remember the 2011 BMW 5 series vibration was usually fixable by changing the run flat tires to non run flat, the TLX issue doesn't sound like it's fixable.

This vibration feels way worse than "normal operation" but if this is the standard with VCM, I will never buy a car with VCM again (at least from Acura). It's really unfortunate because I love my TLX, I'm just sick of cruising and feeling/hearing a vibration until I press the gas pedal. Hopefully the new Acura Precision won't have this transmission or VCM. If it doesn't, I'll be in the dealership as soon as I can get my hands on one!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:42 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Brought my 15 TLX SH-AWD to the dealer for some minor punch list items (had the car 3 weeks) and to get the latest software update for the transmission. I mentioned that I had indeed noticed a very slight vibration while on the highway at around 70mph. I was telling him it was very slight and did not seem to be from the front end or from wheel issues. I mentioned VCM.

What my service advisor told me was that Acura is well aware of this issue that only seems to affect AWD versions of the TLX (what he said they believe). He told me they are working on a TSB and believe it's drivetrain related, possibly to a flange or drive shaft.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neil0311
Brought my 15 TLX SH-AWD to the dealer for some minor punch list items (had the car 3 weeks) and to get the latest software update for the transmission. I mentioned that I had indeed noticed a very slight vibration while on the highway at around 70mph. I was telling him it was very slight and did not seem to be from the front end or from wheel issues. I mentioned VCM.

What my service advisor told me was that Acura is well aware of this issue that only seems to affect AWD versions of the TLX (what he said they believe). He told me they are working on a TSB and believe it's drivetrain related, possibly to a flange or drive shaft.
Waiting for that TSB! lol
Old 12-24-2015, 10:49 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7

This vibration feels way worse than "normal operation" but if this is the standard with VCM, I will never buy a car with VCM again (at least from Acura).
It's not normal operation or standard with VCM. It can't be. I can barely notice the VCM in mine and have to try very very hard to notice it (2016 SH-AWD). If all TLXs with VCM were vibrating like that, it would be very widespread by now. I also didn't feel it on the 2015 loaner I had (also a V6), but did on one of the 4 2015 test drive cars I test drove in the months leading up to my purchase. I wonder why some do it and some don't?
Old 12-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by youngTL
It's not normal operation or standard with VCM. It can't be. I can barely notice the VCM in mine and have to try very very hard to notice it (2016 SH-AWD). If all TLXs with VCM were vibrating like that, it would be very widespread by now. I also didn't feel it on the 2015 loaner I had (also a V6), but did on one of the 4 2015 test drive cars I test drove in the months leading up to my purchase. I wonder why some do it and some don't?
That's exactly what I was thinking as I was driving my car, I was just like there's no way this is normal. I'm disappointed I'm being told that that's just how the car operates. In all the years I've owned an Acura I have never been told no when I needed a problem fixed in my car. Being told all TLXs vibrate like that is a bunch of crap, if they did there would be an outrage from TLX owners. Waiting for Acura to release the new Precision, if it has VCM or this boring 9AT I'm going Audi A6 or A7 for my next car.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Seems to be Acura's answer for every issue these days. "Operates as designed", "tested on another vehicle, as intended".

Extremely frustrating.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nexx
da fawk are they doing at your dealership? did they not even drive on the freeway after they "fixed" it? that is absolutely unacceptable!
My dealer,including the service and the service manager are all such a joke, that is it not even funny.

So they put a different set of wheels/tires (from different TLX, but same model) and did not bother to even balance them. The car felt as if it had square tires!!! It was undrivable on highway.

I went back to ask for my old wheels/tires and they put them back. the issue is still present and at this point, I was nicely told to "go fu... mys....." by the service manager. This is all I got after having my car in the service for 6 times - one time the wheels were road force balanced (at least the paperwork said so) and on the other occasion they performed a half-ass swap where they didnt check the wheels/tires or even took the car on the highway and gave me a my car back that was unusable for the whole weekend. After that, they told me they had exhausted all options.
On top that, the regional service manager is another strange cookie that does not even bother to call me back. The dealer claims that the service manager drove the car and it was OK. So much for having my car fixed or even attempted to fix by following basic procedures. Pure greed, laziness and lack of any respect.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
mlody....Well, I sure hope Acura will understand that by treating you this way, they can kiss your business goodbye!

They have lost me as a recurring customer (bought 5 vehicles in 7 years) and this TLX was the show stopper for me. I may come back, but only when they get their shit together. They can say I am just one person and my business is not worth it but I have told MANY people about Acura and to NOT get one for a while....Simply put, they are no longer what they once were.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
^ I am in the same boat. They have lost me. I am, only in this RLX as a means to get away from the TLX though looking back on it, It'd have been the same difference if I had dumped the TLX for a different brand. I just have to wait it out now.

As soon as I am able, I'll get out from under this car and wash my hands of Acura. I let others know as well.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Instructor

I have warned a LOT of people about he new Acuras but [somehow] nobody listens.

... Then 3-4 months into the new vehicle, the complains start

The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (02-01-2016)
Old 12-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

^ Oh.. okay.. I am sure that you were very convincing.. especially since the 4G I had was without any problems
Old 12-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I think he is referring to one of his co worker (female)....I could be wrong.

Don't beat yourself up for the switch to the RLX, it is still a great car and you can't control the past. It is easy to look back and say "should have done this" or "should have done that". The truth is, I can see why you went to the RLX....enjoy it for now and your next opportunity to ditch Acura will come soon enough - That will be your opportunity to "stick it to them"

I called Acura Canada a while ago and told them why I didn't buy another Acura product, and the guy I spoke with didn't seem overly caring to which I replied..."Without us, you wouldn't have a job!" - While I didn't expect him to care too much or entice me to stay with the brand, I still felt good to get it off my man chest, and vote with my feet. If they FINALLY and EVENTUALLY listen and get this shit together, I'll be back but it will be much more difficult for me to come back as it was to walk away.....and even that wasn't easy! So good luck Acura, you know what you have to do, now get to work!
Old 12-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
^ Oh.. okay.. I am sure that you were very convincing.. especially since the 4G I had was without any problems
It certainly does not mean that 100% new Acuras will have these problems but it turns out that a important percentage of the new vehicles (TLX) have the problem(s). No car maker will make 100% of their new vehicles flawless, that is impossible; but the responsible makers will try to minimize the number of lemons to a statistical acceptable figure. Selling and making $ is vital, but so it is keeping a loyalty toward and from the customers.

I owned a 2013 RDX with exactly many of the problems that the TLX is having, according to the complains here. I have also read about the RLX and ILX. All of this tells me that the root of these problems is related to flawed brand design concepts and not to a particular model design.

Due to this, and with the intention of helping, I give my perspective and advise to people I care about: Stay away from these new Acura models. After that, they can do what they like but it still pains me seeing them going through 'car misery' because they decided to trust a brand that used to be good and is currently living on rep alone
Old 12-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

^ I was just goofing with the guy in that reply

About all we can do is vote with our wallets.

I wonder how many people there are out there with the V6 that are being told the shifting behavior is normal and they are accepting it. *shrug*

Happy New Year, my friend! 2016, can you fricken believe it?
Old 12-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I am in the same boat as Weather. After owning Acura exclusively since graduating from college in 1988 I am not going anywhere near Acura until they get their sh*t together if ever. All of my previous Acuras were great cars, but after test driving the TLX I could tell that the transmission was not for me.....horrible lag/funky surges/rough shifts

I am sure that some TLX buyers got something that they can live with and perhaps even enjoy, but you only need to see this thread and the 9 speed ZF thread to see that Acura has no clue how to produce the quality that they once had.
You only have to visit safercar.gov to see all of the complaints for the TLX
My dealer still insists that no one has complained about the transmission or the vibration issue.

I was so excited when the TLX prototype was presented and those "thrill" ads promised us an awesome car....oh well.
The following 2 users liked this post by quantum7:
Stew4HD (12-29-2015), weather (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Well said my friend....well said!

Quantum Quote:

"I was so excited when the TLX prototype was presented and those "thrill" ads promised us an awesome car....oh well."
Old 12-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I am happy to report that i pernamently solved my vibration issue!!!

I traded in this POS TLX for CPO 2013 TSX and we coundnt be more happier.

The TSX is as smooth on the highway as it gets, the transmission actually works, and the cost cuttings are far and few compared to TLX.

I got hit by the depreciation, but at the end, piece of mind, overall long term happiness etc are worth more than several several thousand dollars in my opinion. I just cound no longer handle "car characteristics" excuse to every single reported issue or problem.

2015 ACURA TLX | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Just had a chance to review some of the complains. I wished i had seen those before i got the car, cause i would had never gotten it in the first place.

Acura is beating new records cause both 2009 TL and 2009 TSX launches combined had less complains that TLX alone on nhtsa.
quantum7 (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 06:38 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ Congrats and I agree 150%!! I would rather lose a few thousand dollars than be pissed off or hating my driving experience....Life is too short to put with BS!

I am so glad I held off when I had the urge to get the TLX....I was made great offers but my head took over and said NOPE....and boy am I ever glad I didn't fall for the temptation. Instead, I succumb to a gorgeous blond with tall leather boot at Lexus instead *lol* At least the IS has been treating me well
Old 12-30-2015, 07:20 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
We get it!! You guys really don't like the TLX. Luckily for you, there are many other excellent cars out there to choose from. Good to see that some of you have made the move, and I'm sure you'll be pleased. Others remain pleased with their TLX.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wlkeel
We get it!! You guys really don't like the TLX. Luckily for you, there are many other excellent cars out there to choose from. Good to see that some of you have made the move, and I'm sure you'll be pleased. Others remain pleased with their TLX.
Are you wanting us to stop talking about it?
quantum7 (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Are you wanting us to stop talking about it?
Nope, whatever you do is fine with me.

Quick Reply: 2015 TLX-AWD Vibration - Escalating