Where's the OBD2 port?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Where's the OBD2 port?

Anybody knows where the OBDII port is hiding int he TLX? I see no mention of it in the manual.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Racer

Oh and I don't have mine yet otherwise I would just look for it. The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of adding a OBDII bluetooth device like Automatic Link and because it's going to be more or less a permanent install I don't want to buy it and find out it's in the center console where it will stick out like a sore thumb
Old 11-21-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I wanted to respond this morning with, "go look under your dash"

but seriously; are there other places where other auto manufactures put OBDII ports?
in ALL cars, its underneath the steering wheel/kick panel.

OBDII is a standard and is a STANDARD in all cars.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Where is the connector located?
The connector must be located within three feet of the driver and must not require any tools to be revealed. Look under the dash and behind ashtrays.

From OBDII.com
Old 11-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
I wanted to respond this morning with, "go look under your dash"

but seriously; are there other places where other auto manufactures put OBDII ports?

OBDII is a standard and is a STANDARD in all cars.
I'm not doubting the existence of the OBDII port. I just don't want them to be somewhere the bluetooth dongle protrudes too much. A little bit of research tells me that some Acura models had them in the center console (still 3 feed) but if you checked Automatic you'd see that not a good place for it.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Racer

Just to follow up regarding the OBDII port, it is located at the bottom left pointing downwards. Those of you who were interested in adding the Automatic dongle can rest assured that it will not be visible at any angle except when you step out of the car to take a look from afar.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

OBDII is a standard and is a STANDARD in all cars
Actually that's not true.

My Father's Volvo s70 had it under the center armrest, so this device would stick out like a sore thumb on that car; same for the V1 savvy unit.......Swedes........
Old 12-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Sounds cool but will it interfere with my normal bluetooth connection to the HFL/ELS?

Just FYI for our Canadian Friends:

Important: Crash Alert only works in the US. In a crash, it requires an adequate location (GPS) signal, connection to the Link, and cellular data connection. It cannot contact local authorities or emergency contacts if your Link or iPhone is damaged or disconnected by the crash. The reliability of local emergency services can vary. Automatic cannot guarantee local emergency services will respond to a Crash Alert.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Racer

It's not supposed to and (ironically) Amazon's Reviews and Answered Questions address such concerns more quickly than the retail site. Having said that I'm still testing the module and I'll post anything relevant if anyone is interested.

The iOS app is very well made and offers quite a bit of information that can also be via web. My wife was rolling her eyes when I bought yet another "toy" for the new car but she became more complacent when I told her about the crash alert and parking reminder.

Other than that I'm testing small features like opening Waze automatically when I turn on ignition and whatnots using the Launch Center Pro and IFTTT apps in combination with Automatic.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Just FYI for our Canadian Friends:

Important: Crash Alert only works in the US.
Where did you hear/get that information? It is my understanding that it works if you have an AcuraLink subscription and a signal can get through.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quandry
Where did you hear/get that information? It is my understanding that it works if you have an AcuraLink subscription and a signal can get through.
I found it on the YouTube site where this video was posted...

YouTube Entry
Old 12-22-2014, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by baelim
It's not supposed to and (ironically) Amazon's Reviews and Answered Questions address such concerns more quickly than the retail site. Having said that I'm still testing the module and I'll post anything relevant if anyone is interested.
I am interested in finding out what you learn. I would use Android but I believe I still can use your helpful information.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
As AcuraLink concierge services work in Canada I am betting that emergency calling also works here with the TLX, but I am not planning to test it.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Interesting. I read the Amazon description and their sales pitch on their website. While interesting, I'm just not very compelled. I guess if I had a teen driver and wanted to be a helicopter parent it might be useful? Or was tracking mileage for end of year reimbursement....

For those interested, seems to be a bit cheaper on their website currently listed for $79.99.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Racer

I agree that it's not a must have but Best Buy had a sale for them for $69.99 and I couldn't pass up the potential to test this item (with little hassle for returns). So far I'm inclined to keep it for a couple of reasons:

1. Speed alarm: The system chirps when you accelerate too fast or break too hard but also when you cross the 70mph speed. I changed this default to 74 for those days I'm found speeding without thinking.
2. Collision alert: Not for me but like I said, my wife liked this and justified the cost.
3. Trip records: This could be a dealbreaker for some but Automatic offers a Dashboard through their website which offers a birds eye view of all your trips on a map.

Indeed none of these are deal makers for me. What I'm really testing is the IFTTT feature. IFTTT for those who are unfamiliar means If This Then That and it's a web service that automates certain aspects of your digital life i.e.: If (This)weather prognostics show snow Then Send me a Text Message to my phone (That).

The premise is limited to the apps they allow within the IFTTT service but the most popular apps are there and believe it or not Automatic's app is also present. What this means is that using Automatic Link as trigger you can automatically start services like Waze or even turn off your Nest thermostat as you leave home etc.

Having said that, IFTTT is not perfect and I'm finding that my Automated Waze app won't turn on at ignition. I'm still troubleshooting while exploring other benefits but this was the main thing I was hoping to gain...
The following 2 users liked this post by baelim:
MedX172 (12-24-2014), tlxsteve (12-23-2014)
Old 03-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
So I needed to find the port to install a device that will save my 5-25% on my car insurance (Co-Operators in Canada)

I can confirm that the plug is white and located under the driver's side dash.
It it basically under and behind the front hood release on the outside wall.
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (03-12-2015)