Voice Commands for Navi in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Voice Commands for Navi in Canada

I just ordered my 2015 TLX SHAWD Elite and the manual indicates that you can only use voice commands for addresses and places in the US model. I suspect this feature has been disabled in Canada because it is only available in the US in English and not in English and French. Does anyone know a way to re-activate this feature in Canadian vehicles?
Old 10-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Seems like this would be a hidden software setting. I can live with 40% of street names not being recognized, but the current method is painful and not a "luxury" car feature.

I had asked US owners to try voice entering an easy Canadian address to see to see if it was recognized, but never got a response. This does need a workaround, so post if you find out how to turn it on.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:47 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
I think you can use Acuralink and speak to the rep and ask them to put the address in for you.....free for the first year.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
They shouldn't have even offered Nav in the Canadian models. Nothing short of sheer embarrassment!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Add to that the routing announcements say "Next right unto Highway", and does not say the name of the highway, unlike the US model. Not a big deal but it is like someone talking to you and leaving the last word on a high and you are expecting additional words, e.g., "Hi, may name is Bob, what is your."

I want a software patch or override.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
OH MY GOODNESS!!!

I just tried to use my nav for the first time tonight, and the voice command was so bad that it was hugely embarrassing!!! Just to try to enter a street name was EXCRUCIATING! I had to say ONE LETTER AT A TIME, and in between letters, I had to wait for the voice to give me all of the same instructions every time!!! This is BEYOND RIDICUOUS!!!

My goodness, why do they have to torture us in Canada? Just because we have the heated steering wheel and heated rear seats!? LOLOL

Seriously, this is really embarrassing for Acura Canada. They had better fix this ridiculous issue soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

One more Canadian joins the club. I have been complaining for a while about this as my '08 MB C-300 has full address voice entry capabilities.

There are three alternatives around this issue:
1. Enter the required address while parked and use the touch pad
2. Use AcuraLink from a web browser and download to the car. However, the downloaded address shows up blank in the Previous Destination, but can still be used to go to the correct address.
3. Use the Link button and get the concierge to enter the address for download to the car. This is the best option.

Alternative #2 and #3 required the paid service.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Quandry
One more Canadian joins the club. I have been complaining for a while about this as my '08 MB C-300 has full address voice entry capabilities.

There are three alternatives around this issue:
1. Enter the required address while parked and use the touch pad
2. Use AcuraLink from a web browser and download to the car. However, the downloaded address shows up blank in the Previous Destination, but can still be used to go to the correct address.
3. Use the Link button and get the concierge to enter the address for download to the car. This is the best option.

Alternative #2 and #3 required the paid service.
I won't get my car until the end of November (SHAWD Elite). What free services do we get the first year?
Old 10-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

I believe you get the base AcuraLink free for one year, and SiriusXM for three months. If you signed up back in August you may also qualify for the two years of free maintenance.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Racer

I believe you get the base AcuraLink free for one year, and SiriusXM for three months. If you signed up back in August you may also qualify for the two years of free maintenance.
Thanks. I did sign up in August.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:00 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Is it maybe possible the the ANC is affecting the voice recognition too? Just a thought, perhaps someone can play with that.

PS. I'll add my concerns about Navi in the Canadian models. The 09 TL tech had Alaska as a Canadian province. I mean we wouldn't mind up here, but you have to keep Palin
Old 11-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Could be ANC.

We'll keep both.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:05 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
My understanding is you get the full concierge service free for a year. Not that I have got acuralink to work fully yet. Acura Customer relations is being pretty proactive with the problem, doesnt seem unusual. But it int fixed yet and they are closed for the weekend. BTW Ostrich - I hope yu have turned off the Interface dial feedback and voice prompts. makes life much more tolerable with the navi etc.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:28 AM
Racer

Well I took out my wife's new Mazda 6 (she got it Friday) to put snow tires on yesterday. There is voice input for addresses and places in the Mazda and it shows speed limits for many roads. I am now very disappointed that my much more expensive TLX will have less functionality than the Mazda. She got the GT model in Mica Red and it is a very sharp looking car and the 4 cylinder engine is better than I expected.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by a77
My understanding is you get the full concierge service free for a year. Not that I have got acuralink to work fully yet. Acura Customer relations is being pretty proactive with the problem, doesnt seem unusual. But it int fixed yet and they are closed for the weekend. BTW Ostrich - I hope yu have turned off the Interface dial feedback and voice prompts. makes life much more tolerable with the navi etc.
Oh! a77, I had not the faintest idea that you could turn off the voice prompts! That would be so much better.... let me try it. Thanks!

Hey, perhaps all of us Canadian owners should swamp Acura Concierge with requests to enter the address while we are driving - then they will take this seriously and fix the issue with address entry for us!!! LOL
Old 11-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

But remember that the concierge service is a feature of AcuraLink which you get free fro one year, then it is a subscription service. I have not seen what that cost is.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Drifting

But remember that the concierge service is a feature of AcuraLink which you get free fro one year, then it is a subscription service. I have not seen what that cost is.
Oh yes, I fully realized that - that's why we all need to call and swamp their Concierge Service within the first year!!! LOL!

I surely hope that they would fix this ridiculous issue by the end of the first year.... oh, or may be I am just dreaming LOL!
Old 10-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Niz
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Sad

Originally Posted by smoore
I just ordered my 2015 TLX SHAWD Elite and the manual indicates that you can only use voice commands for addresses and places in the US model. I suspect this feature has been disabled in Canada because it is only available in the US in English and not in English and French. Does anyone know a way to re-activate this feature in Canadian vehicles?
A 2012 Nissan Murano has figured this out as has their Infiniti counterparts. So have the North Americans but it seems to me Acura is not in the customer satisfaction business when they lack so many expected features. Can I live with the system, I guess I will have to because it is still the same in 2016. I can assure you that the one fix for many of the missing features I will employee is to look to the competition the next time. They have been taking care of customer through great convenience features for years. Is the RDX a nice car? .Absolutely! does it have the features one would expect of a luxury brand? Definitely not