Smartphone Mirroring in TLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey brc27, thanks for joining in. Do you already have the cable, part #39155-T3R-A10, in hand and can confirm that one end isn't meant to snap into part #39155-T3R-A10 and is a female USB and HDMI receptacle? I was under the impression one side had male connectors to fit the back side of the HU and the other would be a female inputs for the USB and HDMI. If that's not the case, we will have to find a part number / way to order the insert that goes into #39155-T3R-A10...
Old 02-15-2016, 03:10 PM
8th Gear

Hi Dochere2, I do have the 39155-T3R-A10 in hand and can confirm that it does NOT have USB or HDMI female receptacles.

The female receptacles that it does have are compatible with the male receptacles on the opposite end, which I presume plug into the HU. As I stated, I have not taken the dash apart to confirm what plugs in where, but I do know that 39155-T3R-A10 does not have HDMI or USB female receptacles. I am not terribly concerned about the USB one as the same part number is listed for the USB adapters for either the TLX or ILX, and the TLX obviously already has the USB adapter.

I had ordered the 39155-T3R-A10 cable knowing the HDMI female adapter part was not listed in hopes that the female receptacle was actually built into the cable. Not sure what other models besides the ILX-Prem and Honda Civic EX-L Navi have HDMI inputs, but a quick look across diagrams has failed to produce a corresponding part #...

Acura Owners Relations time?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Brc27, would you be able to post a clear picture of the ends of the cables?

You may be right, a little more searching revealed no part # for the HDMI adapter for the holder. It seems only the USB adapter is currently available. If I can find or test the pin out, I should be able to find a way to adapt the cable to a standard snap in hdmi connector.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:02 PM
8th Gear

I'm currently out of town, but before I left I checked the connectors on the cable. When I get back in town I will take a clear picture and post it. (Perhaps in the meantime I could get a friend to stop by my place and snap a few pictures).

Either way, I'll post some pics as soon as I have them available. Do you have any ideas already for a snap-in female-to-female HDMI that might work, or at least links to some options to consider? Would be great to get a general idea of something you have in mind (assuming adapting the pin-out would be splicing with a standard male-to-male HDMI cable). Thanks!
Old 02-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Sounds good. My cable may be in by then and I really need to be hands on with it to get anywhere. I was just hoping to see what I'll be working with ahead of time. I may try to source a similar adapter off a parts car on ebay; If I can find one, there are enough models that have the HDMI connector and they should be the same / similar.

I'd guess it will be as easy as cutting a hdmi cable with a male end and spicing it to the factory cable and then using a hdmi female/female snap in or similar to make the final connection. It should be easy enough to mod the holder to accommodate such an adapter.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:40 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Checking the list of OEM parts under the Antenna parts which the OEM cable is originally part of seems to be one more original part: #16 91531-SDA-003 CLIP, HARNESS BAND (145MM) (NATURAL)

Otherwise under the Console list of part where the HDMI ASSY is part of I see two but unlikely candidates:
#46 32104-TX8-H00 SUB-WIRE, CONSOLE
#47 39112-TY2-A01 ADAPTER ASSY., USB

I'd like to see some pictures as well for I'm not quite sure what you're talking about yet. But I agree with Dochere2 that the solution probably is as easy as splicing a cable if the part can't be found.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:59 PM
Racer

I've confirmed in the ILX forums that mirroring is possible through the OEM hdmi using a multitasking app. You'd still need to enable App Mode from Diagnostics but basically mirroring would be done by tricking the radio console to think your phone is running the Acuralink Navigation app in the foreground.

Smartphone 101: phones don't do multitasking so for instance if you were watching a youtube video and switched to the browser the sound would not continue in the background but pause until you returned to the youtube video and pressed play. a multitasking app essentially keeps the video running, so you could run Acuralink Navigation in the background while doing something else. my concern was whether the Acura audio unit considered that to be enough to allow mirroring. reports of this was found all around the web with other cars but couldn't find one specific to the ILX. that is until now.

For iPhone owners the phone would need to be jailbroken first. Watchdog Pro and Dissident (for iOS 9+) seems to be choice apps for multitasking. Android users don't seem to need to root/jailbreak their devices but instead just download "Multitasking" by OryonCorp from the Play Store. I can't find any confirmation regarding the Android version yet but if the app works in the same way I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Also while video is no issue I'm told sound is - which makes me wonder why but I can't address that until I install the cable myself.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Intermediate

^^^ This is good news! I have a feeling this process will be pretty simple, short of routing the cables and removing the radio unit but even that should be pretty easy for a decent DIY'er. Can't wait until one of us confirms it's all working.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:10 PM
8th Gear

Dochere2, could you tell us where you got the cable for $54 shipped? After some discussions with the dealer, I'm curious if the one I got is missing a harness connector (hence no female HDMI receptacle; maybe splicing won't be necessary). Thanks!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281807433314?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 02-18-2016, 08:31 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for sharing, Dochere2. I actually ordered mine from the same seller so I assume you may run into the same issue with the wiring harnesses: no female HDMI receptacle.

After talking with my local dealer my conclusion is that the adapter that has a female HDMI receptacle is either 1) missing from the items ordered from eBay or 2) not available from Acura at all as there is no listed part number and therefore will require splicing. I may order a second wiring harness directly from the dealer and return the incomplete one or the more expensive one if they are identical, depending on what I find.

My concern is that I was trying to make this as near to "seamless/factory" as possible, avoiding splicing. Wishful thinking, I know...

Keep us posted with what you find when your cable arrives. I will likewise update with news when I return home and/or find out additional information (I do have the parts manager doing some additional research).
Old 02-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by brc27
Thanks for sharing, Dochere2. I actually ordered mine from the same seller so I assume you may run into the same issue with the wiring harnesses: no female HDMI receptacle.

After talking with my local dealer my conclusion is that the adapter that has a female HDMI receptacle is either 1) missing from the items ordered from eBay or 2) not available from Acura at all as there is no listed part number and therefore will require splicing. I may order a second wiring harness directly from the dealer and return the incomplete one or the more expensive one if they are identical, depending on what I find.

My concern is that I was trying to make this as near to "seamless/factory" as possible, avoiding splicing. Wishful thinking, I know...

Keep us posted with what you find when your cable arrives. I will likewise update with news when I return home and/or find out additional information (I do have the parts manager doing some additional research).

hey brc, do upload pictures of your parts when you can will you? i know you're away on a trip but the curiosity is killing me lol.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

I was at the Chicago Auto Show yesterday. I made a v-line to the Acura display, found a ILX Premium, and promptly pulled apart the center console area, revealing the end of the cable and plug. There is no doubt an adapter that has a HDMI input on one side and an input for the cable on the other side. The USB is the same thing, cable adapter one side, USB input on the other... I was hoping that there would be a part number stamped on the piece but neither had anything on them.

I was half tempted to make one of the attendants an offer on the part right there...

Needless to say, I'd venture to guess that Acura has chosen to not make this part available; Probably for this reason right here...
Old 02-18-2016, 11:49 AM
8th Gear

^^^^ This approach, for the win. Nice *detective* work.

And yes, I have feared that Acura/Honda has made this part unavailable on purpose. (Of note, I have even looked at Civic and Fit diagrams for their models that have an HDMI input, plus talked to the Honda parts manager to see if there is an equivalent part on the Honda side--no such luck. The only suggestion they've offered is that it comes with the $98 wiring harness/cable).

Like you, I've been tempted to go to the Acura dealer to 1) take apart that portion of the console on an ILX Premium to see the part 2) show it to the parts manager and then possibly 3) make an offer to buy it. I doubt there are many, if any at all, 2016 ILX Prems that have been totaled by insurance and sitting in a salvage yard or being parted out.

I asked my friend to take some pics of the harness I have. I will post them as soon as I get them.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
we did research on this,

this will only work in diagnostic menu , and audio is limited to one speaker.

basically you cants use Bluetooth streaming, FM radio. CD , or XM when in diagnostic

only way to use this feature is via diagnostic menu and all audio will come from one speakers, basically if you want to change setting you have to pull over shut the car off , get into diagnostic menu and start going again

it cheap but not user friendly
Old 02-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Racer

hey guys thank you for all the hard work. I've been so focused on hacking the radio that I didn't realize the hardware part would cost this much hurdle! I agree that there's something amiss about not being able to find this part. I think I found the USB ver. 39112-TY2-A01 which it's the same adapter used for the TLX in the front console whereas the HDMI is concerned I have a feeling that hdmi royalties are somehow involved...

my cable is still on the way and if it comes to I might go for a third party HDMI/USB mount from amazon and do some soldering if it comes to. but if you're insistent on going pure oem I think there will be enough parts coming out of crashed Civic, Fit, HRV, CRV and of course ILX (and I think MDX Ent.) that I'm sure will be compatible with one another. I don't think there will be a shortage of parts for sure... I'll continue to search but let's update the thread if we find a good source.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:54 PM
Racer

2013 Touring Elite How to hide the HDMI cable.

I was looking at two potential parts:

CORD ASSY., HDMI-A
HOLDER ASSEMBLY, HDMI JACK

When I found this blog illustrating an odyssey owner directly plugging an HDMI cable to what I think it's CORD ASSY., HDMI-A...

I could be wrong but doesn't that cord look like it could fit at the end of 39155-T3R-A1 - our ebay bought hdmi cable?
Old 02-22-2016, 05:06 PM
Racer

maybe i should have a response on the matter since the two folks who may have followed me to this point may feel cheated if i don't...

it IS possible to mirror your screen without having to go into Diag mode. I've confirmed it over multiple times with ILX owners but also I've found that it's a solution across many Honda drivers using Hondalink. The basic premise is simple: you trick the radio to think it's running one of the pre-approved honda/acura apps when in truth you're mirroring your screen. This is accomplished with Watchdog or Dissident in normal mode.

the cost of my original setup has gone up however thanks to Honda charging some pretty penny for the USB and HDMI adapter bits. That and my failed attempts over the weekend to hack the radio left me crunching some numbers and deciding whether a Naviks is an easier if just more costly solution. But at this point I am still going forward with this because a) there's no way in hell I'll deal with Navtool again and b) even if I go for a Naviks module I'll still want the OEM look for my HDMI and USB outlets. If this was and MDX or an Odyssey I might have thought otherwise I think... but my "use-case-scenarios" for my TLX are pretty clear. I'm still looking for documentation to help me open my dashboard without damaging it but I hope to have some results by this weekend (unless my local Honda's lacks the parts I'm looking for).

Originally Posted by navtool.com
we did research on this,

this will only work in diagnostic menu , and audio is limited to one speaker.

basically you cants use Bluetooth streaming, FM radio. CD , or XM when in diagnostic

only way to use this feature is via diagnostic menu and all audio will come from one speakers, basically if you want to change setting you have to pull over shut the car off , get into diagnostic menu and start going again

it cheap but not user friendly
Old 02-23-2016, 02:34 PM
8th Gear

Here are the pictures for the cable, part number
39155-T3R-A10 ordered from ebay.

Each end has 3 connectors (1. female male black, gray, and another shorter gray on
one end; male black, gray and green on the other). The connectors are neither
male nor female hdmi/usb.

Here is what each of the connectors look like (2. black, gray,
and green male connectors; 3. black and gray female connectors; 4. shorter gray
female connector; 5. m/f black ends connected; 6. m/f gray ends connected):

Again, these are from the ebay seller. It's possible that the Acura dealer part includes the wiring harness to HDMI input connector. Since there is no part listed, it is possible as baelim mentrioned, that Honda part number 39116-TK8-A01: CORD ASSY., HDMI-A from the Odyssey Touring Elite may fit.
Attached Thumbnails Smartphone Mirroring in TLX-39155-t3r-a10.jpg   Smartphone Mirroring in TLX-male-black-gray-green.jpg   Smartphone Mirroring in TLX-female-black-gray.jpg   Smartphone Mirroring in TLX-female-short-gray.jpg   Smartphone Mirroring in TLX-black-connected.jpg  

Smartphone Mirroring in TLX-gray-connected.jpg  

Last edited by brc27; 02-23-2016 at 02:40 PM. Reason: reduce image sizes
Old 02-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Racer

hey brc mine arrived as well and had loads of insight on what i need next. i'll explain my thinking and explain why the odyssey part might be it.

1. first thing you notice is that there are three cables. one of them far longer than the other two. the black head is the hdmi cable while the other two (i believe) are the usb cables. yes there are two usb as the ILX does.

2. if you loop the hdmi cable you'll notice that the heads snap together. this may not be as enlightening as the rest of the points but to me this is proof there's a standard way to connect these cables. essentially i'm imagining the odyssey cable to have same end as one of the ends of our ebay cable.

3. the odd thing you'll find here is that the two USB cables can be united into one! you may wonder why doesn't the cables the same ends so it can be attached to the USB Assy Adapter. In truth if you look at the TLX diagram you'll see two cables coming out of the radio to connect to the Adapter piece in the front console: 39116-TZ3-A02 and 39117-TZ3-A02. it's difficult to explain it without illustrations but at this point just know that the "long" cable of your ebay piece is what will replace these two cables and meet the existing USB adapter end.

4. here is the kicker: one of the two TLX pieces mentioned above will be re-purposed to meet at the end of the short USB cable of your ebay assy. this will not only allow you to attach a second USB adapter at its end but also give you enough length to reach the console (at least in the ILX design mindset that is). Ofcourse you can place the HDMI holder anywhere you wish but I think the console is where it belongs.

5. and now the part why I think the odyssey part is correct: to match the length of the now elongated USB cable the HDMI adapter cannot be an adapter at all but a cord assy. If i do a search for CORD ASSY HDMI-A I find three: 39116-TK8-A01, 39116-TZ6-A01, and 39116-TG7-A21 for Odyssey, MDX and Pilot respectively. Probably each will have a certain length to match its own specs and because I only have concrete photos of the Odyssey part I'm opting for that at the moment... even if it's gray...

so in short the three main pieces you'll need if you already have the hdmi cord assy and the holder are:

39155-T3R-A10 HDMI & USB CORD ASSY
39115-T4N-H01 HOLDER ASSY USB & HDMI
39116-TK8-A01 CORD ASSY HDMI-A*

*being the unicorn in this equation...

by my estimates the cost of all of these parts put together towels to about $140 which frankly it's double what I expected. but like i said probably i would have spent about as much to have the oem look if i had opted for a module. plus if i can put one up on navtool who's been screwing around with folks like us all the more the better. if i can find the parts in my local honda i hope to start the install this weekend. praying the weather will be kinder than 50degrees!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:32 PM
8th Gear

baelim,

I'm pretty sure I follow what you're saying. If you are wanting to add a second usb port, I believe you will also need the usb adapter at the end of the harness, part number 39112-TY2-A01.

Let us know how things work out this weekend. Curious to hear update for sure!

***Also, correction, my earlier post with picture should say *longer* gray connector, not *shorter*. Sorry for the confusion*** (mods feel free to edit and correct, there are two places it should be corrected. Thanks)
Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Racer

Ha yes I noticed I had selected the wrong rows from the spreadsheet. You're right. the 4 main pieces are the HDMI cable assy, HDMI holder, HDMI-A cord assy and an extra USB adapter for a total of about $140.

Unfortunately my local dealer was trying to charge me double the Internet price and didn't even have it in stock so I'll be ordering them online instead and cross my fingers. At this point I'll just bite the bullet to satisfy my curiosity let alone put this project to rest.

Originally Posted by brc27
baelim,

I'm pretty sure I follow what you're saying. If you are wanting to add a second usb port, I believe you will also need the usb adapter at the end of the harness, part number 39112-TY2-A01.

Let us know how things work out this weekend. Curious to hear update for sure!

***Also, correction, my earlier post with picture should say *longer* gray connector, not *shorter*. Sorry for the confusion*** (mods feel free to edit and correct, there are two places it should be corrected. Thanks)
Old 02-25-2016, 07:29 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Hey question for you guys... baelim noticed that the MDX unit (even the 2016) is different in the back than the TLX (and quite possibly the ILX, meaning the MDX is just off on a track of its own). We don't seem to have that black port, which would mean we have no HDMI. This is probably because MDXes have the RES, where the HDMI is located and that probably only interfaces directly with the back screen.

But quick question... how do you guys interface the Pandora, Aha, and Acuralink maps stuff? It is through the USB port or BT? I don't think the MDX has the maps interface and Pandora + Aha are through BT only.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Racer

hey neoshi,

i'm not sure where you're leading with this but let me answer it and have anyone else correct me if i'm wrong...

i have the base so no Acuralink maps. I believe Pandora and Aha is BT but I haven't tried to turn off BT and try to see if it would run through the USB. Quite possible it might...

Also fyi, ever since I found that the MDX doesn't have an HDMI port in the back of the unit I've been researching whether the RDX and RLX also have this difference. From what i can tell no RDX trim has the touch screen so that'd be a no. The RLX on the other hand is a mystery. I posted the question on the RLX thread but so far no takers... my take is that they're just not interested in this stuff like the rest of the Acura owners are.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:17 PM
Racer

Ah ok. Thanks. I asked because I've seen the JDM Civic interface via USB (I think) to mirror their Honda branded app navigation (and the jog dial actually works to move, select, etc for the phone), so was wondering if you guys had some variant of that.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:16 AM
Racer

i think i figured out what you mean. i found a video of a htc m8 or 9 android phone getting the full extent of "mirrorlink" in a civic. there are several problems with that setup though. for one it's using a third party app called carlink that has some pretty horrible reviews and apparently it's all in chinese. even if you're okay with installing suspicious apps in your phone for the sake of mirroring it seems that the success rate has been dismal even among honda and/or non-htc owners. second the civic radio is a different build (only a single screen instead of the dual setup of the accord and above trims) with hardware AND software that is completely different than that of its siblings.

this is a bit of a catch 22 kind of a deal since so far car makers have marketed this "mirror with hdmi while parked" feature as a gimmick for younger buyers in models like honda fit and civic but with upper trims (and even more so with acuras) they assume(?????) car buyers are not interested as much. essentially if you want the latest in tech apparently you shouldn't be buying luxury at all. i'd love to be proven wrong but i doubt that even the redesigned mdx will be able to offer this feature much less mirrorlink

not to say that your idea isn't possible. the acuralink navigation app allows control via the dial so it's not completely impossible to imagine that it won't take the same feedback to help you navigate through the apps in your phone screen. it still remains to be proven but it would be great since even navtool would be able to offer that option...

but realistically speaking i think you're looking too far into the future. at least in car years that is. your best bet to "have it all" is to find a pioneer or some other custom radio maker who tribe by offering the latest and the greatest and even with far less restrictions that car makers are allowed legally. i haven't done the research but it's quite possible that they already support the dual screen setup since it's been around for years now.

Last edited by baelim; 02-28-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:36 PM
Racer

I might have actually been thinking about the ILX here:
Though.. I'm sure I've seen a JDM Civic version still.. might have been the newer head unit?

Kind of sucks knowing that the cheapest car in the bunch has the most advanced navi tech lol... and do you notice how fast the interface is compared to the TLX/MDX? :|

Last edited by neoshi; 02-29-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Racer

folks, I'm very happy to report that the odyssey part is a perfect fit!

i'm attaching photos to show you how it fits with the harness and the holder.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Intermediate

Win for Baelim, awesome. I have kind of dropped the ball over here. Life went full hectic on me...

What two part numbers am I looking at in the last pic?
Old 03-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dochere2
Win for Baelim, awesome. I have kind of dropped the ball over here. Life went full hectic on me...

What two part numbers am I looking at in the last pic?
Here's the full list of parts I have for this mod (the first 2 you're familiar with):

39155-T3R-A10 HDMI & USB CORD ASSY
39115-T4N-H01 HOLDER ASSY USB & HDMI
39116-TK8-A01 CORD ASSY HDMI-A*
39112-TY2-A01 ADAPTER ASSY, USB

* this is the mystery part that has been eluding us for a while. If you do a search for CORD ASSY HDMI-A you'll find two more alternatives although their length and fit can't be confirmed.
39116-TZ6-A01 CORD ASSY HDMI-A MDX
39116-TG7-A21 CORD ASSY HDMI-A Pilot

I explained in one of my previous posts that probably it's going to need one more harness 39116-TZ3-A02 which can be cannibalized from the TLX so the 4 above should be it. I hope to have results this weekend! Also I have a theory on making Android work but at this point it's just theory. I'll post more details soon.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Racer

oh i should have added that the list above assumes you're adding not only an hdmi but also a second USB port aside from the existing one up front. anyone attempting to just add the hdmi/usb port in the front console can probably not purchase the 39112-TY2-A01 Adapter Assy, USB. i originally thought this may cause too much clutter up front but it's viable.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Racer

guys i need some help figuring out how to remove the audio unit from the dashboard.

i spent a decent part of today's daylight working on the car. pulling out the top, side and bottom panels went on without difficulties thanks to Gregg's diagrams but when i finally had complete exposure of the audio unit the audio would not pull out!

the whole face and back pieces could be swaddled back and forth for a little bit so i was sure i wasn't missing a nut or bolt somewhere but it was as if the whole unit was too tight for the dashboard housing or something.

at the end of today i bolted the silver screws that fastened the radio back in so at least it stayed drive-able for church tomorrow.

what am i missing?? the only suspicious item came from Gregg's diagram where I was supposed to loosen two bolts at the bottom of the radio prior to removal but after careful inspection there was no such bolt.

i used my hand to feel my way around the blind spots but alas the only removable metal pieces down there were three screws related to the removal of the center tray.

i thought of trying to reach the back of the unit from under by removing the console tray removing the head of the shift stick proved to be just as difficult. this acura is proving to be no mustang! and i thought i had crossed all the major hurtles -_-;;;

i plan to give it another go tomorrow but if anyone has pulled the audio unit apart please respond or pm me!

Last edited by baelim; 03-05-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
baelim, I have been following your thread for several weeks. I wonder if you have any success this weekend?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Racer

no luck. i tried again for 3 hours today dismantling the shift console to find a way under the audio unit but no luck. the way this is assembled requires the pocket piece to be removed AFTER the audio unit and the audio unit is stuck!!! something is holding it and i can't find figure out what is. if someone can find a video of a TLX audio taken out please PM me or let me know...
Old 03-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it helps but I see there is two holes behind the faceplate. In addition, I don't have the cables yet, do you happen to see any ends of TLX audio that fits the connector?

39540 TZ3 C130 M1 Radio Maybe Navigation for 2015 TLX Acura Premium Audio System | eBay
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 AM
Racer

well once you get the hdmi assy cable you'll see that it's color coded. the black hdmi end will match the black port while the two square green and gray ports at the top right and left corners should also match the cables uniquely. all the ports are made to fit in one way most likely to avoid confusion in the assembly line plus i know what original tlx part to repurpose to complete the harness...

thanks for trying to help but the two holes you mentioned are screwed in from inside out (I felt them as I tried to my hand under the unit) probably those are there to fasten the joystick? piece of the audio unit.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Racer

i have good news, bad news, and some neutral news folks.

the good news is that i managed to get the radio out but only for a very quick moment and had to put it back in. the two 8mm bolts were hidden inside. it's not visible and you have to reach under and feel it with an extended wrench. the idea came to me after watching a youtube pulling a late model accord apart.

how do you screw is back on? you can keep the bolts in while you slide the radio back in.

the bad news is that after plugging the hdmi harness to the back of the audio unit and the phone on the other end i was not able to start App Mode. App Mode is the menu option in the console that allows you to start a connection with the phone and it's found disabled by default in the Developer Mode. when i plug the phone to the USB port I'm able to select App Mode but it tells me I need an HDMI feed. When i plug the AV adapter to the phone it tells me that the hdmi is not fully implemented or something like that (i should have taken a picture) and the App Mode is grayed out.

the neutral news is that, just like the ILX guys, going into diagnostics mode allows me to mirror my phone. i call that neutral because i find the idea of going into diag mode every time you want to mirror you phone nuts, but for what it's worth i managed to play a movie with great volume across all speakers.

at this point i haven't completely figured out what do to. in retrospect I think I should have used the gray USB port instead of the green one as I did today. green is the front port while the gray is the port that come paired with the HDMI harness. green one is the one used for software updates too so it might act different from gray. i was aware of that but connecting the gray usb port required me to repurpose the green cable... long story short it would have taken too much time for a weeknight. come this weekend i'll probably have one more go at the App Mode, this time with the proper USB port connected, and running the Self-Diagnosis mode to force the software to recognize the hdmi cable (kinda like "add hardware" for windows). also i haven't tried anything on the phone side yet so that's another piece of the puzzle i'm attributing my first attempt at App Mode to be more likely human error than software issues.

if all fails i'll have to decide whether to continue with the implementation or not. a small possibility is to wait for an acura software update that does support hdmi fully. i could contact acura relations to see if they'll send me a build. another and more likely option is to repurpose the harness and the rest of the parts to connect to a naviks or some other non-navtool module. in its raw form it would still serve as an extra USB port and some pretty shady diag-mode smartphone mirroring but the mod would be permanent since i'll have to widen the AUX hole to welcome the new HDMI/USB holder.

Last edited by baelim; 03-09-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:10 AM
Racer

just a random update since i promised to work on the car this weekend.

i decided to go back to the drawing board regarding the OEM based smartphone mirroring. It's certainly possible to mirror my phone to the car in diag mode (and some folks in the ILX forum have been at it like crazy) but I don't find that acceptable. so I have an idea to build a simple video switch using using a
Priority HDMI Switch Priority HDMI Switch
. and all it requires are the proper diagrams to build some custom harnesses. I'll explain.

Car video modules like Navtool are nothing but a a glorified A/V switch that gets between the audio unit and the top screen allowing multiple inputs to a single output. The basics aren't that different from an external HDMI switch you can buy for your TV for $20. What you're paying Navtool for is for the right connection ends which it's easy to copy, but what's hard is the switch. Navtool allows you to switch inputs by clicking the back button for a certain number of seconds. Naviks provides you with a physical switch you can install discreetly around the dashboard. Granted that these modules offer multiple inputs whereas mine only offers just 1 alternate input. This and the right connection ends plus the switch method is worth $300-400 apparently...

A priority switch however switches automatically for you by prioritizing Input 1 over Input 2. So for instance if you plug an Apple TV on Input 2 and a smartphone AV adapter in Input 1 the TV would always show the Apple TV input until you plug in your phone. The switch mention above is one I've had for a year now. It's one of the few that does NOT require an external power source.

What I'm thinking of researching is on figuring out how to build some custom harnesses for this priority switch so that Input 2 is the original input from the Audio Unit while Input 1 is the Smartphone AV adapter or wireless adapter. The basic idea is to make the act of mirroring in your car as simple as plugging the phone or turning on the wireless transmitter itself. No need for diag mode, or App Mode or multiple steps. Instead the switch will automatically prioritize the HDMI input over the car's input. The sound would come through the iPod or Bluetooth.

The mod would be minimal. Three harnesses, all of them with the proper OEM ends and a male HDMI end would help place the Priority Switcher between the Audio Unit and Top Screen. I suspect the cost of the parts would be acceptable and the hardest aspect (for me at least) would be creating the harnesses.

My previous method of using a jailbroken iPhone and a multitasking app was after all a little too constrained not to mention the software didn't seem complete. It was a work around where as this is a direct (automatic) bypass. This method will also allow non iPhones like Android without having to find a work around for it.
The following users liked this post:
Gregg (03-13-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Racer

many updates so i'll just bullet point them

- i thought of having another go with the oem cables as i never confirmed whether the usb port preference makes a difference for acuralink. too cold here in DC this weekend. maybe next weekend.

- the cable that transmits the data from the Audio Unit to the Top Screen is something called GVIF. this is an auto industry standard developed by Sony several years ago. Like the one found in the MDX (39725TZ5A01) this is common across the Honda/Acura lineup and as far as I can tell also used across all cars albeit they use their own ports.

- converting gvif to hdmi and hdmi to gvif... or finding documentation for it is turning out to be quite difficult. i have questions about encoding and encryption that can't seem to find answers to.

- i've sent email requests to a priority switch maker if they'd be interested in building a GVIF-HDMI priority port that outputs GVIF.

- i've sent email requests to a couple of youtube diyers wondering the same.

- i've emailed acura relations and asked them to make good of their claims that TLX supports HDMI as it's stated in the official press release found in the Acura website.
The following users liked this post:
808tesh (03-21-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Racer

so i tried connecting the HDMI/USB harness to the back of my TLX again this time attempting both the GREEN and GRAY USB ports.

long story short the GRAY port gives me the above message. The GREEN port is not recognized as an USB source. You need the USB port connection to make App Mode work.

I had originally theorized that only one of the ports was used since the TLX only has one USB and that getting the HDMI to work in App Mode was a matter of tapping the proper USB port. I found instead that both ports were plugged to "something" and neither worked.

After confirming that the GRAY port is connected to the USB in the center console I tried to find what the GREEN port was for. I tried connecting my harness to it but wouldn't register as USB. Then I tried different functions of the Audio Unit after disconnecting it but no dice.

At this point the only alternative I'm seeing is the GVIF priority switch route. I've been doing tremendous research on this but I have to say it's beyond my understanding of HDCP and how different stanrds interoperate with one another. I'm gonna sit on this idea unless I run into some new information to chew on.

Meanwhile I got a response back from Acura Relations so I think I'll just write them a lengthy email on why the TLX should get a software update that supports Acuralink's Navigation app just like the new ILX Premium. My main complaint will be that the 2015 TLX press release actually mentions HDMI support. I'd encourage others to do so. It's a minor labor for Acura's part and it could become an add-on kit for dealers to sell.

That or demand Carplay. even if it's so so bad based on what i've seen on the Accord.

Last edited by baelim; 03-28-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Smartphone Mirroring in TLX