How does the ANC work in the TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
How does the ANC work in the TLX?

Any audio experts out there? Can someone explain to me how the ANC works in the TLX? I understand there is a microphone in the roof near the center front and sends out a cancellation frequency through the speakers. But how does the system know the difference between road noise, music, or a conversation to filter out? Is this why the ELS audio system is not as good as it once was, but the cabin is now very quiet. Has Acura sacrificed sound quality for quietness?
Old 07-01-2017, 04:42 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DLM1213
Any audio experts out there? Can someone explain to me how the ANC works in the TLX? I understand there is a microphone in the roof near the center front and sends out a cancellation frequency through the speakers. But how does the system know the difference between road noise, music, or a conversation to filter out? Is this why the ELS audio system is not as good as it once was, but the cabin is now very quiet. Has Acura sacrificed sound quality for quietness?
The ANC (now renamed ASC) introduces sound waves into the cabin that are largely out of phase with the original sound. This reduces the effect of unwanted noises. However, as you suspect, ASC can have a (minimal) effect on ELS… largely at the very lower frequencies. This latter effect should bother only those who like excessive boom to their music…
Old 07-31-2017, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
can we turn it off some how?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randytlx15
can we turn it off some how?
I asked this of my local Acura dealership and the answer was "no."
However, it is turned off whenever you're in sport modes: a feature designed for those who are sent into rapture whenever they hear the roar!