ELS system and ANC do not work properly together in this car

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
Smile ELS system and ANC do not work properly together in this car

I had an issue with my subwoofer.... basically sucking. Most audio options couldn't help and the ELS system in my eyes was completely underwhelming and embarrassing for all the hype it was given.

After posting in the Audio forum.. a few people said turning off ANC will bring the ELS to life as they really dont work together properly. Low and behold I turned it off...the clarity everyone spoke of arose...the bass came out from hiding and system didn't totally suck anymore. The "road noise" from ANC i personally feel is non existent still..i haven't noticed a difference yet.

But I wanted to share this in the general forum because I believe alot of people would a appreciate their ELS system more if it wasn't being bottle necked into terribleness by a simple option that barely does anything, and I think a lot of people are just accepting it as "how it is supposed to be" and aren't looking in audio forum to fix it.

1. Press NAV then BACK then MENU and hold them.
A screen will now appear with 2 options above and multiple on lower screen

2. Now press and hold MENU for a few second
Another screen "For Developer" will pop up.

3. Scroll to the very bottom and you will see ANC Diag.

4. Go into this feature and turn off ANC.

You may hear a loud humming noise (sounds like bass) for about 30 seconds.
Once it stops, enjoy your ELS audio system as it was meant to be in all it's glory and lack of SUCK. If you experience heavy road noise and believe it isn't worth it (i didnt notice a single difference) then repeat the steps to turn back on.
The following 10 users liked this post by insanik:
4WDrift (10-13-2014), Davinci547Acura (10-11-2014), genejohn1 (02-09-2019), maxdog (10-13-2014), miner (10-11-2014), NJToyMan (10-11-2014), rickd (10-11-2014), Roxyrox (10-11-2014), Timmy18 (10-11-2014), tlxsteve (10-11-2014) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Thanks @insanik.

I saw your post in the Audio forum. I read the tips from members and I am now a believer. I printed out the entire thread and gave it to my service rep to lodge a complaint. The audio difference is amazing. Thanks for starting both threads.

We have to get more people to alert their service departments to get this issue resolved.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Sounds like Acura has a few first year bugs to work out of TLX. I have been lucky with my 2012 TSX Tech as I have no issues to date . Insanik I hope car issues get worked out for you.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
I will try this. I think the system is good but not what I was accustomed to for an ELS system.

Another issue I will be taking the car back for is terrible FM radio reception.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I wonder if the ANC can be deactivated with the ILX too...I am now curious.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
When you guys test this, make sure ANC stays OFF when you start the car again. In other words, follow the process outlined above, turn the car completely off, then turn it back again and go to the menu and see if it stayed off. On my car, if I turn ANC off, turn the car off, then start it again, ANC is back on.

Also, here's some info on it from Honda's site :

Honda's Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) » Technology » Honda New Zealand

Seems like 100Hz and below is where the biggest impact is and it's designed to reduce engine noise. Even though it's a Honda site, I'm sure the TLX implementation is something similar. The mic placement is similar, anyway.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
Is their any way to disable the ANC completely without always having to do it when u start the car?
Old 10-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by insanik
Is their any way to disable the ANC completely without always having to do it when u start the car?
Physically unplug the mics. lol. But I don't know if the mic it uses is shared with something like the voice recognition. Maybe someone else can answer that. There are 2 mics used for ANC to my knowledge. One is by the sunglass holder/AcuraLink button and you'll see the openings for it. The other one should be that piece of plastic with holes in it behind the maplights for the rear passengers. You'll have to remove or somehow get behind the headliner for that one unless that plastic pops off. These are my guesses based upon reading about ANC and whatnot.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
If you unplug the mics, though, you end up with no BT calling.
However, if it's anything like the Accord, there should be a separate ANC module that can be removed. However, I don't know enough about the ELS headunit to say that with any amount of certainty.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
There are now rdx/mdx and ilx guys all with their own threads talking about the same issue.

In the ilx thread a owner posted a video how to unplug the anc behind the glovebox. This allowed for no anc but still allowed bt calling and handsfree.

I for one feel my els audio has made an improvement with anc unplugged.
The following 3 users liked this post by usdmJON:
NJToyMan (10-11-2014), tlxsteve (10-11-2014), weather (10-11-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 06:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I had an issue with my subwoofer.... basically sucking. Most audio options couldn't help and the ELS system in my eyes was completely underwhelming and embarrassing for all the hype it was given.

After posting in the Audio forum.. a few people said turning off ANC will bring the ELS to life as they really dont work together properly. Low and behold I turned it off...the clarity everyone spoke of arose...the bass came out from hiding and system didn't totally suck anymore. The "road noise" from ANC i personally feel is non existent still..i haven't noticed a difference yet.

But I wanted to share this in the general forum because I believe alot of people would a appreciate their ELS system more if it wasn't being bottle necked into terribleness by a simple option that barely does anything, and I think a lot of people are just accepting it as "how it is supposed to be" and aren't looking in audio forum to fix it.

Once it stops, enjoy your ELS audio system as it was meant to be in all it's glory and lack of SUCK. If you experience heavy road noise and believe it isn't worth it (i didnt notice a single difference) then repeat the steps to turn back on.
Does this survive restarting the car or do you have to do this every time you start the car?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:08 AM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Does this apply to non tech (base) models that don't have ELS? I feel like my bass is noticeable... Especially when you adjust it up and down in the settings. Based on that I assume this just affects tech owners...
Old 10-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts
This is great to know, thanks for sharing! Is the bass response the only thing about the ELS system this changes? Or does anything else sound different? Also since I know the ANC is primarily for engine noise, with it turned off can you hear more of the engine? I don't want more road noise, but a little bit more engine noise would be ok!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:26 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Does this survive restarting the car or do you have to do this every time you start the car?
I tried this in my 2014 MDX and (1) the bass hum never stopped until I restarted the car and (2) when I restarted the car, the ANC was back on. I said F* it, and just turned up the volume. ;-) For me, the "right" volume is when the rear view mirror is vibrating...

I think in any car, wind and tire noise is going to "muddy" the sound unless you pump it up. Acura has a setting to automatically adjust the sound (music) levels based on ambient noise levels. In my 2007 TL Type-S I keep that at medium. In this car, I will have to experiment. ;-)
Old 10-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
ANC switches back to ON when you restart the car. I did an experiment and turned ANC off with the car running and then turned the car off and started it back up with the stereo playing. When I went to the ANC diag. menu the stereo sound didn't change and the menu said ANC was back on. You can hear the low tones of the bass better with ANC off but I decided to just turn my bass and sub up and live with it. It still sounds good IMO.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by smoooov
ANC switches back to ON when you restart the car. I did an experiment and turned ANC off with the car running and then turned the car off and started it back up with the stereo playing. When I went to the ANC diag. menu the stereo sound didn't change and the menu said ANC was back on. You can hear the low tones of the bass better with ANC off but I decided to just turn my bass and sub up and live with it. It still sounds good IMO.
I thought I read that the ANC stays off until re-enter Diagnostic Mode? That just by entering the mode resets the ANC back? Did I misunderstand that bit of info?
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I thought I read that the ANC stays off until re-enter Diagnostic Mode? That just by entering the mode resets the ANC back? Did I misunderstand that bit of info?
I think that's not true and really wouldn't make sense. That's why I did the test, to see if there was any noticeable change in the sound when I went to the ANC menu after initially turning the ANC off. I could not hear a change. I can hear a difference when in acc. or when I first turn ANC off with the car running but restarting the car takes the sound right back to how it sounds with ANC on. I did this sitting still so there was no road noise interference and I could hear no change in the bass.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smoooov
I think that's not true and really wouldn't make sense.
That is the way it seems to work on mine. If I set ANC to be off, the rich sound is still there for the next couple of days till I go back into diag/developer mode.

It would be nice to get an official answer, but I am happy that it works that way on my TLX.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Burning Brakes

It works this way for me.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve
That is the way it seems to work on mine. If I set ANC to be off, the rich sound is still there for the next couple of days till I go back into diag/developer mode.

It would be nice to get an official answer, but I am happy that it works that way on my TLX.
Thanks, I knew I had read that somewhere but obviously cannot personally verify.
tlxsteve (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Drifting

I tested this and ANC mode will stay off until you restart the car. If you turn it off, exit diag, then go back into diag mode, it will still be off. But once the car is turned off and then turned on, ANC will be on again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocketsfan:
miner (10-14-2014), smoooov (10-13-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 02:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't have a NAV button on my TLX Base Model, so I can't turn off ANC with the instructions in this thread. Is there a different button that I need to hold down? I've tried Menu + Back + Settings with no luck.
BlueAquarian (09-11-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 12:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts

….or those of us that had an ELS before the TLX (in my 2012 TSX Tech) and don't find the current system sucks with the ANC on. In fact it sounds darn good, but then I listen to music where I appreciate clarity and richness and depth, all of which the ELS provides. if I want loud thumping base, I'll listen to my 2014 Altima SL Bose system Not in the same league, but it works for that type of music.
Stew4HD (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 12:16 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
….or those of us that had an ELS before the TLX (in my 2012 TSX Tech) and don't find the current system sucks with the ANC on. In fact it sounds darn good, but then I listen to music where I appreciate clarity and richness and depth, all of which the ELS provides. if I want loud thumping base, I'll listen to my 2014 Altima SL Bose system Not in the same league, but it works for that type of music.
I must respectfully disagree. My '14 TSX Tech absolutely knocked, and my TLX Tech is so tepid and disappointing. Unfortunately, turning off the ANC hasn't really improved my experience. Still looking at aftermarket speakers.
Davinci547Acura (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have a Beatles CD ("Love Collection) that sounds equally great in my TLX Tech as it did in my TSX Tech. However, i also had the DVD audio version which was spectacular in my TSX. I do regret that the TLX does not play DVD audios, which were certainly hard to find.

Today I played my Bob Seger greatest hits 2 CD collection from the hard drive and it sounded great at about a 16 volume. Ultimately it's hard to compare listening experiences objectively unless you can move back and forth between the 2 systems you are comparing. Otherwise, as precise sound memory is fleeting, it's a difficult comparison. Witness the disparate comments in the forum on this issue.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

BTW, presumably the ANC does not work when the engine is shut off and the stereo is playing on auxiliary power. I have listened to the same music under both conditions and don't notice an appreciable difference.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

In the interest of science and being open minded, i did shut off my ANC and listened to several artists such as the Beatles, BeeGees, Bob Seger, etc. I couldn't really pick up an appreciable difference between the two and did hear a little more road noise, although minimal. I will continue to experiment and have others listen. Hmm, perhaps ignorance is bliss…….
Old 01-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
In the interest of science and being open minded, i did shut off my ANC and listened to several artists such as the Beatles, BeeGees, Bob Seger, etc. I couldn't really pick up an appreciable difference between the two and did hear a little more road noise, although minimal. I will continue to experiment and have others listen. Hmm, perhaps ignorance is bliss…….
lol at the music selections being said. They don't have much bass to begin with. Not the way I believe many say the ELS is not providing.

Music like the Beatles will probably sound good on most car systems now a days.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Smile

You are correct, but there is an appreciable difference between my ELS and my Altima Bose in terms of clarity, especially at lower volumes. Led Zeppelin, Stones, U2 and classical all sound good on the ELS. What other music is there?
Old 09-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Unplug the ANC module under the dash on the passenger side.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Just pull the cover under the passenger side dash down at ledge near seat. There are 4 or 5 clips. Then pull back towards seat to remove. Silver box in corner with part # 39200-TZ3-111 is the ANC. Just unplug. BT and voice commands in Tech PKg still work.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
Just pull the cover under the passenger side dash down at ledge near seat. There are 4 or 5 clips. Then pull back towards seat to remove. Silver box in corner with part # 39200-TZ3-111 is the ANC. Just unplug. BT and voice commands in Tech PKg still work.
Did this and the sound quality and bass is better. Will find out how the "outside" noise is affected. If it drastically changes the quietness of the car in a negative way, i will plug it back.
tlxsteve (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Is your ANC the same part #? I ask because parts only shows ending in 11 not 111 and mine sounds louder and clearer connected than disconnected. I am listening to SAT or HD radio in nueral with all sound centered. My system is louder and separated more in nueral than my TSX Tech. I wonder if Acura changed a part? Can't understand why people are complaining?

Originally Posted by mondster
Did this and the sound quality and bass is better. Will find out how the "outside" noise is affected. If it drastically changes the quietness of the car in a negative way, i will plug it back.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Do people in this thread actually understand how ANC works? It's obviously going to affect sound quality of something else you play. That's the whole point of ANC: it's active. It's generating a cancelling noise.

In terms of how that impacts the subwoofer, I doubt it's as serious as people are suggesting here. Seems likely that it's more mental than reality--that accords with people who are saying the ANC turns back on automatically but people still think the sound is better.

In general, if you are going to play your music at a high volume, ANC is irrelevant because the high volume will tend to drown out background noise. Of course, one advantage of ANC is you don't need to raise the volume as much--a key advantage for people who want to avoid hearing damage/have sensitive ears, etc.

My guess is the ANC is generating noise at frequencies that to some people weakens the bass. I still don't see how it can't be dealt with in other ways by adjusting EQ. In other words, the mid or high range frequency of ANC might require raising the low frequency a bit...depending on the music/your preferences, etc.

But obviously if you are playing music at a high volume, ANC is not so relevant. And this is also a sign that ANC works. If there were no impact of turning off ANC on the system, that would be a very bad sign. It's a stretch to suggest ANC and ELS somehow "do not work together." Any ANC is going to affect sound...

I actually watched a youtube video on ELS, and Scheiner was specifically talking about how Acura first designed a quiet cabin and then went to Scheiner to engineer ELS (along with Panasonic people, etc.). I'm sure they're all aware of ANC.

Last edited by iesu3423; 09-20-2015 at 07:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by iesu3423:
Quandry (09-20-2015), rka4570 (10-06-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Is your ANC the same part #? I ask because parts only shows ending in 11 not 111 and mine sounds louder and clearer connected than disconnected. I am listening to SAT or HD radio in nueral with all sound centered. My system is louder and separated more in nueral than my TSX Tech. I wonder if Acura changed a part? Can't understand why people are complaining?
Not exactly the same except for the 39200
Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 PM
Instructor

39200-TZ3-111 ? Yeah or nay ?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

39200-TZ3-111 ? Yeah or nay ?
Nay. Mine is 39200-tz2-###
Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Found out, all start with 39200

TZ3 FWD V6
TZ4 FWD I4
TZ7 SH-AWD V6

-11 is Tech or Advance/Elite
-01 is base
Old 10-26-2015, 09:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to turn off ANC on base units (w/o nav):
Hold back+menu+audio for 5 seconds to get to the first developer menu
Hold enter for a few seconds to get to second menu
Scroll to ANC and turn it off *(there will be a deep base hum for 30-45 seconds but it does go away)
carfan7821 (05-28-2016)

Quick Reply: ELS system and ANC do not work properly together in this car