AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-416/)
-   -   Carplay problems again (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-416/carplay-problems-again-979334/)

ACURADIOU 05-06-2019 10:12 AM

Carplay problems again

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...0ba803d39.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...31fdced29.jpeg
The carplay sistems stops working after 7- 10 min,
and shows an error on screen,
already replaced 3 cables, change 2 phones and still the same problem,
I’m taking my 18 tlx a-spec to the dealer.

postpunk 06-05-2019 07:07 PM

Joined the forum specifically because of this issue. You are the only person I have found on the internet who is having the exact same issue I am.

2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD Technology Package purchased February of 2018. CarPlay worked fine until March of this year. Mine and my wife's iPhone XS phones get the same error message you posted. Sometimes right when they are plugged in, sometimes CarPlay loads for a few minutes then returns the error. We have used multiple different cords to connect. Both phones work fine with CarPlay in our 2018 Subaru Outback. Our son's iPhone 8 works fine in both cars.

When I had the car in for service at the dealership, I asked them to investigate. Unfortunately, both service guys are very strong anti-Apple guys, so they just blamed it on Apple. They also told me the firmware can not be updated on the 2018 TLX infotainment system.

I have spent multiple hours on the phone with both Acura tech support and Apple. No one can explain this or provide a solution. In fact, the Acura technical person started reading off the disclaimer to me that Acura doesn't guarantee the system will work, etc. Very frustrating.

I have tried rebooting the entire infotainment system. I have turned off Bluetooth and Siri on my phone. I have deleted the phone in the Acura smartphone system and restored the smartphone settings to default. I have forgotten the car on my phone. Nothing fixes the problem.

I have noticed that sometimes my phone is listed as an "unnamed" iPhone in the Acura smartphone system, and then I end up with two phones listed... my named phone and my unnamed phone. Deleting one or both does not resolve the issue.

At this point, my plan is to call my salesperson and ask if there is a 2018 TLX on the lot that I can come in and see if my phone will connect properly. I'm also going to call a different local dealership's service department and see if I can find a serviceperson who is not biased against Apple products to talk to about the problem. Finally, if neither of those things resolves the issue, I might sign up for the iOS 13 beta and see if that fixes things.

Please let me know what your dealer said/did for you and if this has been resolved, and I will report back with the same!

CPR 06-06-2019 10:57 AM

Another vehicle is probably NOT the answer, because as you stated, it worked fine for the 1st month, & then went FUBAR.
I'd venture to guess, it's an Apple issue; although Acura & Apple do NOT have a cohesive relationship; blame game
Maybe the service manager, will swap out your infotainment system; you'll probably need Acura Corporate to get involved
You'll need a lot of patience, & a little luck
I fought with corporate for a year, before they agreed to replace my bogus transmission, on my 2015 TLX
Thankfully, the 2018 version is light year's better
BTW: the tech at my dealer knew very little about Apple syncing; again, they blame Apple
So far, my IPhone SE/128GB, syncs perfectly, with CarPlay; fingers crossed

csmeance 06-08-2019 09:03 PM

unlock your iphone before connecting it to the car. Sometimes the iphone locks/cuts access off to the lightning connector to prevent intrusions.

2.7tDallas 06-10-2019 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 16437099)
unlock your iphone before connecting it to the car. Sometimes the iphone locks/cuts access off to the lightning connector to prevent intrusions.

I'm not sure that's true. The think the charging part and the data part are different.
I'm in the industry and work for a certified MFI Apple cable manufacturer. Just so happens one of our engineers is a big time TSX modder so I'm sure he's on the TSX Gen1 forum so I'm asking him now.
But we are having the same issues with both our iphones. I have done the following to insure it is not the cables
1) Tried three (3) known good cables from us
2) Tried a known good Apple OEM cable

As a note - I am thinking it is an apple issue. I travel a lot and rent a lot of cars with car play. Had issues like this with both a lincoln and caddy within the last 3-4 weeks

postpunk 06-19-2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2.7tDallas (Post 16437777)
I'm not sure that's true. The think the charging part and the data part are different.
I'm in the industry and work for a certified MFI Apple cable manufacturer. Just so happens one of our engineers is a big time TSX modder so I'm sure he's on the TSX Gen1 forum so I'm asking him now.
But we are having the same issues with both our iphones. I have done the following to insure it is not the cables
1) Tried three (3) known good cables from us
2) Tried a known good Apple OEM cable

As a note - I am thinking it is an apple issue. I travel a lot and rent a lot of cars with car play. Had issues like this with both a lincoln and caddy within the last 3-4 weeks

Interesting. I rent cars quite a bit as well and have had no problem with my phone in the rentals with CarPlay.

postpunk 06-19-2019 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 16437099)

Thanks for the recommendation. I have, sadly, tried that as well without luck.

postpunk 06-19-2019 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by CPR (Post 16436036)
Another vehicle is probably NOT the answer, because as you stated, it worked fine for the 1st month, & then went FUBAR.
I'd venture to guess, it's an Apple issue; although Acura & Apple do NOT have a cohesive relationship; blame game
Maybe the service manager, will swap out your infotainment system; you'll probably need Acura Corporate to get involved
You'll need a lot of patience, & a little luck
I fought with corporate for a year, before they agreed to replace my bogus transmission, on my 2015 TLX
Thankfully, the 2018 version is light year's better
BTW: the tech at my dealer knew very little about Apple syncing; again, they blame Apple
So far, my IPhone SE/128GB, syncs perfectly, with CarPlay; fingers crossed

I have tried my phone on other vehicles with CarPlay and had no issues. That's why I was hoping to try it on another car that shares mine's specs. (CarPlay worked fine for over a year in my car, actually, not just a month.)
I think you are correct that it is down to the poor relationship between Acura and Apple -- the blame game.
The techs at my dealership bring a similar lack of knowledge to the table when it comes to Apple.

Thanks for the feedback, though!

2.7tDallas 06-20-2019 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by postpunk (Post 16441902)
I have tried my phone on other vehicles with CarPlay and had no issues. That's why I was hoping to try it on another car that shares mine's specs. (CarPlay worked fine for over a year in my car, actually, not just a month.)
I think you are correct that it is down to the poor relationship between Acura and Apple -- the blame game.
The techs at my dealership bring a similar lack of knowledge to the table when it comes to Apple.

Thanks for the feedback, though!

Solution so far -working fine. I'll update my wife's non-connecting iphone tonight

1) Enable bluetooth notifications - do this by going into settings --> bluetooth, click the little "i" that's beside the handsfreelink for your Acura and turn on show notifications. Note, every time you update your iOS, this setting seems to turn itself off (thanks to a35tl for noticing this).

2) Completely remove the bluetooth link between the phone/car, re-pair the device and check on step 1 above.

3) go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. Scroll down to the section "Allow Access When Locked". Make sure "USB Accessories" switch is turned on

2.7tDallas 06-20-2019 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2.7tDallas (Post 16442360)
Solution so far -working fine. I'll update my wife's non-connecting iphone tonight

1) Enable bluetooth notifications - do this by going into settings --> bluetooth, click the little "i" that's beside the handsfreelink for your Acura and turn on show notifications. Note, every time you update your iOS, this setting seems to turn itself off (thanks to a35tl for noticing this).

2) Completely remove the bluetooth link between the phone/car, re-pair the device and check on step 1 above.

3) go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. Scroll down to the section "Allow Access When Locked". Make sure "USB Accessories" switch is turned on

ya - this didn't work

Off to the dealer. UGH

Christopher Ames 06-20-2019 06:56 PM

Are you sure its not this ?

Service Bulletin 18-060 February 12, 2019 Version 3 Audio Unit Restarts On Its Own or CarPlay Does Not Work after iPhone Update

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B18-060.PDF

postpunk 06-21-2019 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Christopher Ames (Post 16442488)

Service Bulletin 18-060 February 12, 2019 Version 3 Audio Unit Restarts On Its Own or CarPlay Does Not Work after iPhone Update

This is the first I've seen anything like this documented! Should I call my dealership and reference this?

2.7tDallas 06-21-2019 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by postpunk (Post 16442622)
This is the first I've seen anything like this documented! Should I call my dealership and reference this?

i sure am - emailing them the link. They should be able to check the VIN and see if this was performed

postpunk 06-21-2019 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Christopher Ames (Post 16442488)

Went into my system and confirmed that I'm running an older version of the software.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...57fc36574e.jpg

Called the dealership and scheduled the service bulletin update. Will report back with results next week after the work is done.

postpunk 06-26-2019 10:24 AM

Went to the dealership this morning. They performed Service Bulletin 18-060, updating my CarPlay Box S/W Version to 02.017.000. Did not fix the issue. Dealer is going to troubleshoot more.

Out of curiosity, others who are having this problem... What iPhone model are you using and what iOS are you running? I've got an iPhone XS running iOS 12.3.1.

CPR 06-26-2019 11:41 AM

IPhone SE/TMo/ 128GB/iOS 12.3.1.

postpunk 06-27-2019 03:08 PM

Apple punted it back to Acura. Doesn't believe it has anything to do with their device.

Dealership is ordering a new, replacement USB jack. Gonna give that a try next.

Anyone else having any luck?

postpunk 07-01-2019 04:34 PM

So, definitely not prepared to declare victory just yet, but I upgraded to iOS 13 over the weekend and CarPlay hasn’t thrown any errors since. Gonna keep an eye on things in the coming days/weeks, but... fingers-crossed.

Christopher. 07-01-2019 11:21 PM

I've had different problems w/Android Auto - music stuttering, or failing to play. I also bought a new phone, multiple new cables. The issue is often resolved by turning the car off and back on. Less often the issue was fixed by power cycling the phone.

Frankly, I would find it offensive if they tried to read me some disclaimer rather than fixing the issue - Android Auto / Apple Car Play are make or brake features for the TLX. With them, it's a great car, without them, it's a hard do not buy this car. Non-working Carplay/Android Auto easily knock at least $2,000 value off of the car for me, perhaps more like $4,000 - $5,000. At this point, I won't rent a car without it - unless it was like a one day deal renting a "super car" purely for the thrill of driving it, or, the Home Depot/Lowe's truck for an hour, to haul stuff.

Originally Posted by postpunk (Post 16435728)
I have spent multiple hours on the phone with both Acura tech support and Apple. No one can explain this or provide a solution. In fact, the Acura technical person started reading off the disclaimer to me that Acura doesn't guarantee the system will work, etc. Very frustrating.

WTF? I wasn't made aware of that when I bought the car? That sounds fishy - if it doesn't work, it should fall under the "Lemon Law" regardless of any stupid "disclaimer" or not! Fix it, give you another car, or give you a refund - period.

Originally Posted by postpunk (Post 16445486)
Dealership is ordering a new, replacement USB jack. Gonna give that a try next.

My USB port feels a little "loose", but, it seems to be still working fine (fingers crossed).

2.7tDallas 07-05-2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by postpunk (Post 16444609)
Went to the dealership this morning. They performed Service Bulletin 18-060, updating my CarPlay Box S/W Version to 02.017.000. Did not fix the issue. Dealer is going to troubleshoot more.

Out of curiosity, others who are having this problem... What iPhone model are you using and what iOS are you running? I've got an iPhone XS running iOS 12.3.1.

Xs 12.3.1

2.7tDallas 07-05-2019 03:00 PM

In at the dealer this morning. of course they were unable to duplicate the issue. I specifically asked if they updated the software which they said they did not, and that it was up to date..LOL

That TSB does only cover 2018 and not 2019. Winder if there is a difference

CPR 07-08-2019 11:12 AM

Recently, I've experienced an odd Amazon Music loading problem, as well as a problem with Waze recognizing my location, while connected to CarPlay
Not a major issue; just throwing it out there, to see if others concur
Irt's intermittent, but annoying, nevertheless

postpunk 07-11-2019 08:17 AM

No CarPlay problems to report since upgrading my iPhone XS to iOS 13. Loving the new home screen layout as well.

neuronbob 07-13-2019 06:46 AM

@postpunk , you are running a beta of iOS 13? The latest iOS in wide release is 12.3.1, which is what I have on my XS Max. I also have this issue periodically. It also happened on the iPhone 7 Plus I had before it. I find that unlocking my phone before turning on the car eliminates the problem for me. When this happens, I have to either power cycle the phone to reset it, or power cycle the car (turn completely off, then back on). I’ve power cycled the car at a stop light more than once because it’s much faster than power cycling the phone LOL!

It’s a minor issue compared to the transmission/traction control programming done to get around the lovely (sarcastic) ZF9.

postpunk 07-15-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 16452939)
@postpunk , you are running a beta of iOS 13? The latest iOS in wide release is 12.3.1, which is what I have on my XS Max. I also have this issue periodically. It also happened on the iPhone 7 Plus I had before it. I find that unlocking my phone before turning on the car eliminates the problem for me. When this happens, I have to either power cycle the phone to reset it, or power cycle the car (turn completely off, then back on). I’ve power cycled the car at a stop light more than once because it’s much faster than power cycling the phone LOL!

It’s a minor issue compared to the transmission/traction control programming done to get around the lovely (sarcastic) ZF9.

Correct. I am running the iOS 13 beta. My CarPlay issues started once I upgraded to iOS 12.2, I believe it was. I was experiencing the issue every time I used the car, not periodically, and the steps that work for you did not work for me. The only thing that resolved the issue for me was upgrading to iOS 13. Cheers!

postpunk 07-15-2019 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 16452939)

By the way, I am also in Northeast Ohio and went to both Serra Park Acura and Crown Acura with this issue. The service folks at Crown were super friendly and did everything they could to help. The service guys at Serra Park didn't want to help, and it showed.

Nabil 07-23-2019 07:25 PM

I had the same exact problems as the OP. The only thing that worked was to use the branded OEM white cable that the phone came with. Every single other cable I have used (tried 6 or 7 of diff brands) and they did the same error. Worth a shot. But I haven’t had a single problem since switching to the oem cord.

postpunk 08-05-2019 01:30 PM

No problems or issues to report since switching over to the iOS 13 public beta. Very happy to have my Car Play back!

sur 08-09-2019 05:02 PM

Android user here. I've had the exact same problem before. It's only happened like 3 or 4 times since the month I've had the car, but when it does happen it seems to continue to happen for the length of that drive. It will reoccur usually after 20-30 seconds of plugging my device back in after the error. Just like the cable was unplugged in the middle of playing a song. When it happens I'll just get pissed off and switch to bluetooth. Hope it's not something that continues.

jonathanuy 01-09-2020 11:16 AM

New 2020 TLX owner here (2.4 Tech Package). CarPlay generally works, but every now and then it doesn't connect (not the exact same screen as OP). Different cables don't help. I think I have power cycled phone once, and it didn't help (not 100% sure about this). However, turning car off and on does work. Any idea why this happens and what I can do to eliminate or minimize this? iPhone Xs with the current version of IOS 13. Thanks.

Christopher. 01-12-2020 10:39 PM

I've tried multiple new cables, even new phones (more than one) and continue to have intermittent playback problems where songs stutter every so often (I'd have to time it, but approximately something like once every few seconds perhaps?). I'm on Android and I think I only have the problem w/Amazon Music.

russianDude 08-16-2020 03:15 PM

quality cable is an easy thing to try that will rule out certain things.

Cincinnati17 01-07-2021 12:07 AM

Did they replace your usb jack ?

Originally Posted by postpunk (Post 16451637)
No CarPlay problems to report since upgrading my iPhone XS to iOS 13. Loving the new home screen layout as well.

having the same issues .. did they end up replacing the usb jack ?

jaycie622 03-06-2021 08:18 AM

I'm in NEOH, also. Acura of Boardman service blames Apple. I have 2019 RDX only halfway through my lease. CarPlay quits at least three times a week. I want out of the lease and am considering a 2020 TLX, but don't want it if it's going to have all the same Infotainment issues. We shouldn't have these issues in cars in this price range!

atl56789 10-17-2022 08:19 AM

Problem fixed?

I can’t tell you how happy I was to find other people with this problem on the Internet. Mines been doing it now for about two years on and off. It’s gotten really bad lately. Has anybody found the solution to this issue? I have an iPhone 12 iOS 16, 2019 TLX.

Originally Posted by ACURADIOU (Post 16422116)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...0ba803d39.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...31fdced29.jpeg
The carplay sistems stops working after 7- 10 min,
and shows an error on screen,
already replaced 3 cables, change 2 phones and still the same problem,
I’m taking my 18 tlx a-spec to the dealer.