Carplay and Android Auto in 2018 TLX

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Carplay and Android Auto in 2018 TLX

This is a separate thread from the main on talking about the details of the new 2018 refresh.
As the title suggests I'm mostly interested in porting Carplay and Android Auto which I originally thought would NOT appear in the TLX until a redesign in 2020.

As I understand the Honda Accord with the same dual screen finally got Carplay/Android Auto with the 2016 model but did NOT make this available backwards even to the 2015 owners. That would lean Acura against older buyers but I'm hoping the Accord is an exception due to the long lifecycle of the Accord itself (technically a ninth gen since 2012).

Another reason I'm hoping the current TLX can get the new software is that hardware-wise usually don't change much in a refresh. Honda is particularly stubborn about this which is why I was surprised at the TLX's new updates.

I've contacted Acura Relations with this question with unfounded no's. Understandably it's a little early to ask but I'd like to ask the forum if "historically" Acura has bothered to release software updates to same gen models after a refresh poses changes to the dashboard GUI.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I'm hoping it's just a software update as well, but I noticed that the new 2018s have a "smartphone" button instead of just the "phone" button. So maybe it is hardware related and not just software. It's not "all new", but the UI was tweaked and is supposedly faster compared to the current infotainment system as well.

Maybe they can roll out the Android Auto/CarPlay feature in a software update, I'm crossing my fingers, but not getting my hopes up too high.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I expect it is new hardware, not just software. I know they have changed out the touch screen for example and some functions seem to be implemented in new ways from the current head unit. I bet the hardware can be swapped out but that would probably be crazy expensive.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Even if it is not new hardware, the old TLX almost assuredly won't get AA and CP. Acura wants you to buy the latest model.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone tried to ask dealer to install 2018 firmware on 2016-2017 models?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
I've worked a bit with Honda in Marysville as a vendor......not for the Apple/Android implementation, but for the infractructure on part of the compute in the "new" technology implemntation. What I know to be true....

-Audio/HVAC functions have been very significnatly revamped
-Apple in particular is onerous in their CarPlay requirmements and implementations
-to do what Honda and Acura have done, they probably did at least a hardward swap of the "non-NAV" screen

This would not be a simple firmware or software download.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
I've worked a bit with Honda in Marysville as a vendor......not for the Apple/Android implementation, but for the infractructure on part of the compute in the "new" technology implemntation. What I know to be true....

-Audio/HVAC functions have been very significnatly revamped
-Apple in particular is onerous in their CarPlay requirmements and implementations
-to do what Honda and Acura have done, they probably did at least a hardward swap of the "non-NAV" screen

This would not be a simple firmware or software download.
Graphicguy - have you been able to confirm this? Whenever I read about the improved UI it's referred to as a "Software Update". It would be awesome to retrofit the pre-2018 models.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's a quote from Apple web page regarding CarPlay:
CarPlay support is either standard or available as an option on many new 2016 cars and later, with some manufacturers offering software updates for earlier models.

I'll probably visit my dealer this week and ask about it.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:51 PM
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont think there will be update, navtool released bunch of carplay stuff. earlier this week I chatted with them on facebook and they are working on TLX as well

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Z4g8fbjbT5q0hl
Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Have you look into iLX-107 - first wireless Apple CarPlay by Alpine?
http://www.alpine-usa.com/index.php/...arplay-ilx-107
Old 11-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Cruisin'

Retrofitting is possible but there are multiple components that would be required and it would not be cheap to do:

1 - Replacement Navi - The new navi's (while same shape and size) have different hardware allowing CP/AA
2 - Replacement upper display - New system uses a different upper display resolution (required for CP/AA)
3 - Replacement jog knob - Not immediately necessary as old jog will work, but buttons are mapped differently
4 - New Tuner - Tuner is changed from 18M
5 - New CP/AA box - There is a specific box that handles the heavy lifting of the CP/AA that goes between the Navi unit and USB (there are new specific harnesses for this as well) (PN-39095-TZ3-*****)
6 - New TCU
7 - New Dash harness (with new connectors) [could potentially splice your way to this]

Everything else should be carryover outside of that, but with all of that alone, its likely to be upwards of 5-6k.

I'd suggest start checking the junkyards and rip out the whole center stack when they go on sale....
Old 11-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by hrpuffnstuff12
Retrofitting is possible but there are multiple components that would be required and it would not be cheap to do:

1 - Replacement Navi - The new navi's (while same shape and size) have different hardware allowing CP/AA
2 - Replacement upper display - New system uses a different upper display resolution (required for CP/AA)
3 - Replacement jog knob - Not immediately necessary as old jog will work, but buttons are mapped differently
4 - New Tuner - Tuner is changed from 18M
5 - New CP/AA box - There is a specific box that handles the heavy lifting of the CP/AA that goes between the Navi unit and USB (there are new specific harnesses for this as well) (PN-39095-TZ3-*****)
6 - New TCU
7 - New Dash harness (with new connectors) [could potentially splice your way to this]

Everything else should be carryover outside of that, but with all of that alone, its likely to be upwards of 5-6k.

I'd suggest start checking the junkyards and rip out the whole center stack when they go on sale....
I can guarantee you that flashing 18M software will not enable CP/AA.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find it odd that Bluetooth cannot handle CarPlay and the only way to link is by USB. I find it a pain to hard wire your phone with a cable for this. Is it mainly a security issue? The Bluetooth pairing is enough security I would think.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:56 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by freakerdude
I find it odd that Bluetooth cannot handle CarPlay and the only way to link is by USB. I find it a pain to hard wire your phone with a cable for this. Is it mainly a security issue? The Bluetooth pairing is enough security I would think.
Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth to handle Apple CarPlay data. Wireless CarPlay exists (new BMW 5 series, IIRC) but it uses WiFi to handle the extra bandwidth required for CarPlay.