Advice on voice nav operation in my TLX

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:59 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Advice on voice nav operation in my TLX

Even though I've had my TLX tech for almost 6 months now, I'm still getting accustomed to how the navigation system works after coming from my 2008 TSX. To say that I've been frustrated at times with the limited use of the nav system when the car is in motion would be an understatement.

While I have figured out that it's not THAT bad if I know the full address of my destination, I'd like some advice on how to enter a destination when I don't know the address, or the specific category it might be classified under.
I've found through my experience that if I don't know the address or category, it seems nearly impossible to get the destination into the system without pulling the car over and stopping. Can anyone give me some suggestions, please!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Im sorry maybe I didnt fully understand your post but how do you expect your car to know where your going if you dont? Yes its not the easiest navigation out there and takes a few steps and you need to be pulled over to do it but if you do not know your address of where your going then that seems to be the problem. Try voice commands (even thought I never do that cuz it gets it right about 1 in 10 times for me) and look through your settings to see what to say, for example "find nearest bank" or whatever your looking for.

But I think the best answer is you need to find out your address!
Old 01-18-2016, 01:30 PM
Racer

Ok. So maybe I didn't explain myself the best so here goes nothing...

My example of not knowing the address should have included the fact that, Yeah, of course I know the "Name" of the place I'm going, but not necessarily the "category" of my destination. And if I'm correct, I think the nav system forces me to choose a "category" before I can speak the name of my desired destination. I'm looking for another way to use the voice prompting if I know the "name" of my destination, but not the "address" or the "category".

Hope that explains my question a little better....
Old 01-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I just push the blue button and give name and city
Old 01-19-2016, 08:08 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
I can just say "nearest Costco" and it will find it, but I'm sure the list of specific venues is limited, and also subject to the age of the NAV update and newness of the venue.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Racer

Thank you. Both are great suggestions.

I guess coming from my 2008 acura nav system where I could use the touch screen whenever I wanted, I didn't rely heavily on the voice commands. So now, in my 2015 nav system where I DO have to reply heavily on voice commands, I just need a little bit of help and some recommendations.

I've browsed the nav booklet, but it doesn't seem to give suggestions like the ones I've received here. Also, my salesman told me when I purchased the car to please come back to the dealership for a "check-up" lesson on how to use the car's nav system. I never made it back. Life gets busy and the dealership is 45 minutes away from home....oh well.

Thanks for the help, and keep it coming!
Old 08-08-2016, 10:00 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you use voice recognition to locate specific business? For example if I'm driving and I want a mcdonalds can I hit the button and say find nearest McDonald's?
I tried different ways and it never does it
Old 08-08-2016, 10:00 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you use voice recognition to locate specific business? For example if I'm driving and I want a mcdonalds can I hit the button and say find nearest McDonald's?
I tried different ways and it never does it