What to buy instead of a TLX

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
What to buy instead of a TLX

I was planning to buy a TLX, but given the quality problems reported by many, I am thinking about buying a different car. I looked at the 2016 Lexus ES 300h, which I liked, but it costs substantially more, even with the large discounts being offered by Lexus dealers. I test drove a 2016 Accord EX-L 4 cyl today, and liked it a lot. Although I would like to stick with a less common car like the TLX or the ES, I am now leaning towards the Accord. It drove much more like my TSX than the TLX or the ES.

Are there any other cars I should try? I probably will go with a Toyota or Honda for reliability reasons.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:53 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
What quality problems are you talking about?
Old 10-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by atl7
What quality problems are you talking about?
Primarily the transmission and vibration issues.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
Have you driven a TLX? My TLX V6 w/ build date 03/15 has no problems with the transmission, or anything in general. I think you should test drive one and let that decide for you instead of an online forum, it's a great car!
Old 10-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by atl7
Have you driven a TLX? My TLX V6 w/ build date 03/15 has no problems with the transmission, or anything in general. I think you should test drive one and let that decide for you instead of an online forum, it's a great car!
Yes, I have test driven both the V6 FWD and the 4 cyl TLX. I plan to test drive the TLX and the Accord EX-L back to back soon. The dealerships are right next door to each other, so I should be able to drive the cars on identical test drives. When I drove the Accord today, I was surprised how much I liked it. I had driven one when the new 2013 models were introduced, and the car today drove much better. I prefer the looks of the TLX.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Racer

Yes, I have test driven both the V6 FWD and the 4 cyl TLX. I plan to test drive the TLX and the Accord EX-L back to back soon. The dealerships are right next door to each other, so I should be able to drive the cars on identical test drives. When I drove the Accord today, I was surprised how much I liked it. I had driven one when the new 2013 models were introduced, and the car today drove much better. I prefer the looks of the TLX.
Alright well it all comes down to what you like the most. I too like the looks of the TLX more, and everything else in the TLX. Both are great cars, can't go wrong with either it just depends on what you want. Good luck with the car search!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
For me it was between the Accord EX-L and the TLX. I admit I haven't driven the v6 TLX, but that's the one I have my eye on now (I drove the 2.4 because I was thinking that one at first). Although the Accord is awesome value for the money, I felt the TLX drove much better and the ride quality was much better. Technology, even though the Accord has Android Auto, doesn't trump ride quality to me, I have my smartphone for that, all I need is a car mount for it.

I will test drive the v6 TLX soon, but I'm aiming to get that one.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Budget?

Guessing you need a 4 door, do you have kids? Is mpg important?
Old 10-27-2015, 03:41 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I don't feel any vibration issues in my V6 PAWS and I have no hard shifting. In fact the transmission is very smooth. I do have a hesitation under certain circumstances at low speeds. But these seem to be fewer than when I bought the car (I barely have 500 miles on it).

In my opinion these are minor compared to all the pluses of the car and at the price I paid. I bought the Advance for about $3K more than the Accord touring MSRP. At that price it was a no-brainer.

I looked at other cars but most were higher priced than the TLX for the same features as you have seen. And those cars are not without their issues.

I'm sure the Accord is a fine car, I had two in my lifetime. But these issues are not worth giving up on the TLX. Test drive the car you want to buy and if it has no issues I would not be worried about buying it.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:59 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I looked test drove the IS350 ( too small and it was $51k), new Maxima (it had a CVT and no AWD) and the Q50. I looked at the accord touring but the deals on the tlx were really good. I would drive both multiple times and for long periods of time and see what you think. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
IMO, the one constant that the Zf6 has is the hesitation issue. It seems to bother some more than others but it does seem to be the one thing most all owners mention. The 2-3 hard shift and surging seem to be bad in only a handful of cases.

If I was out looking to by right now, I would give serious consideration to the Hyundai Genesis. If my local dealer had not helped me out, that was the direction I was looking to go (and still may when my lease is nearly up).
Old 10-27-2015, 06:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Quality problems are over blown. Yes early build cars may have some tranny shift problems, but who has not had that when rolling out a highly sophisticated 8/9spd AT.

The TLX is clearly a step above the Accord, even the Accord Touring, but if you compare a base TLX to the Accord Touring then the Accord looks appealing. The TLX Tech and above I think the TLX takes the lead, even in the I4 engine, of course that is a smaller gap. The V6 Tech and above and SH-AWD ar no comparison for the Accord Touring. I have driven both several times, the touring is a very nice ride, but the TLX interior is nicer in look, feel and features. IMO of course.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Grr.. I meant ZF9.

Keith, the quality issues with the transmission are not over blown to those that are STILL dealing with the issues.. IJS

When the issues are so bad that one feels the need to get rid of the car, is that over blown?

LOL, look at me, I went from a fanboi to a realist!

Last edited by Stew4HD; 10-27-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:13 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I was planning to buy a TLX, but given the quality problems reported by many, I am thinking about buying a different car. I looked at the 2016 Lexus ES 300h, which I liked, but it costs substantially more, even with the large discounts being offered by Lexus dealers. I test drove a 2016 Accord EX-L 4 cyl today, and liked it a lot. Although I would like to stick with a less common car like the TLX or the ES, I am now leaning towards the Accord. It drove much more like my TSX than the TLX or the ES.

Are there any other cars I should try? I probably will go with a Toyota or Honda for reliability reasons.
I'm guessing the TSX had a firm ride?

I think the Accord is one of the best values out there however if you are serious about it take one for a longer drive and search out some bumpy side streets. I traded my 13 EXL because, while it was a nice cruiser on the freeway, it rode like an ox cart on the side streets. Not really what I want out of a 4 door grocery getter.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:28 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
For me, the choice between Accord and TLX would be influenced by how much I drive, and where. If you don't drive all that much, particularly on rough or noisy roads, the Accord should be fine. But the TLX's hushed cabin and smoother ride can be big advantages for high mileage drivers, especially those who deal with bad roads. Now that I've lost my long commute I don't put as many miles on my TSX, but I take a few long road trips every year and deal with brutal roads in Philly metro, so I'd almost certainly go TLX. (Well, if it had a manual transmission, that is. )

As for other cars, you might check out a Ford Fusion Titanium. Ford's reliability issues have largely centered around the infotainment stuff, but the new models should have Sync3, which is supposedly better. The 2.0T with AWD probably drives better than the TLX I4, and recent Fords have very quiet cabins.

Last edited by Nedmundo; 10-27-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,737 Likes on 6,740 Posts
IS 350 F Sport
Old 10-27-2015, 09:32 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
IS 350 F Sport
I was thinking of that myself, but the reasons I settled on the TLX SH-AWD were as follows:

#1: The shoulder bolsters on the IS350 F-Sport are too aggressive. I have a wide muscular back and do not fit properly in the seat.

#2: The IS350 F-Sport is ONLY offered in AWD in Canada where I live as of the current model year. This is a deal breaker because, while AWD is good, the transfer case intrudes into the driver's footwell. My calf was constantly resting against it and I couldn't get a comfortable position where it didn't bother my right leg.

#3: You don't get the sweet 8 speed AT in AWD versions of the IS350. They force you into the 6AT. Which in Canada is the only option.

#4: Cost. It costs $10k CDN more for the top IS350 F-sport trim vs the TLX SH-AWD Elite.

#5: Fuel economy. I headed over to the clublexus forums and their real-world numbers for the AWD version are abysmal. Meanwhile, even SH-AWD TLX drivers are getting pretty good numbers in the real world.

#5: Storage space. Seems like a minor issue, but I couldn't find a place to put even my glasses in the IS350.

If I could afford it, I might have gotten the GS350 F-sport. But I can't since that thing is $67k and out of my price range. And no way was I buying a German car after my uncle's recent experience with Audi and my mom's experience with BMW.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:36 AM
Suzuka Master

^ Little things like a sunglass holder is important indeed. I was in a GS350 a while and the missing sunglass holder was an issue for me. I ended up with one of those visor clips.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I would suggest you drive the IS350. I found it small (im 6'0) and my legs kept hitting the door and console where the shifter is. The IS is also a very different car than the TLX - the ride was a little harsher and not as refined. I did sit in a GS350 fsport- that was nice but you're at a totally different price point.
The following users liked this post:
KeithL (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
, I am thinking about buying a different car. I looked at the 2016 Lexus ES 300h, which I liked, but it costs substantially more, even with the large discounts being offered by Lexus dealers. I test drove a 2016 Accord EX-L 4 cyl today, and liked it a lot. .
I am in a similar boat. I'd consider a TLX hybrid but many feel that is unlikely or not going to be about the MPG. The 300h is nice but should have a mid cycle upgrade next year. I'm hoping they improve the acceleration a bit. The Accord hybrid is getting a power train makeover next year and they aren't sure if they are going to make a 2016 model due to battery shortages and all production of the hybrids being moved to Japan. I haven't quite found what I'm looking for so I may do my first lease next year so I'm not tied to a car for that long.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the 9 speed still has software or other issues with the v6 i test drove 4 of them 2 recently both have the hesitation.
some ideas for you
13 cpo gs 350
15 cpo bmw 328
16 lexus is200t
my opinion wait three weeks for 2016 gs2oot the motor will get 25 mpg combined
good luck
Old 10-27-2015, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Grr.. I meant ZF9.

Keith, the quality issues with the transmission are not over blown to those that are STILL dealing with the issues.. IJS

When the issues are so bad that one feels the need to get rid of the car, is that over blown?

LOL, look at me, I went from a fanboi to a realist!
I said quality was over blown, and I am not dismissing the bad issues some have had or still have, but as a whole I would bet the TLX is still a very reliable car. Before I got my A6 I read the forums and tons of folks had steering issues. Cars are super complex machines with complex mechanics and electrical interaction that can suck. I am curious how many recent built cars are having the issues?
Old 10-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If you are worried about issues brought up in posts, you better stick with a bicycle because no matter what car you pick, a quick read of associated forums will reveal post after post of issues, problems, etc. Not being condescending, but its just the way it is on every car forum.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
If you are worried about issues brought up in posts, you better stick with a bicycle because no matter what car you pick, a quick read of associated forums will reveal post after post of issues, problems, etc. Not being condescending, but its just the way it is on every car forum.
No kidding. I was on Q50 and ATS forums for about a year or so before I bought the TLX and the stuff mentioned here is nothing compared to the mess I was reading in those forums. The transmission, for some of us, is a bit of a disappointment for sure, but it hasn't gotten me to hate the car yet. Far from it, actually. Will I remember it when it comes time to buy my next car? Absolutely. Will I be worried as it comes time for the extended warranty to expire. Absolutely. I wanted to get over 200k on this car, but we'll see ...
Old 10-27-2015, 07:38 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jswift2000
I would suggest you drive the IS350. I found it small (im 6'0) and my legs kept hitting the door and console where the shifter is. The IS is also a very different car than the TLX - the ride was a little harsher and not as refined. I did sit in a GS350 fsport- that was nice but you're at a totally different price point.
I've been looking at 1-2 year old GS350 F Sports with approx. 20k miles. Finding a few in the low $40k range. This would be my choice vs the TLX.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dj5 and to add to that 14's have the 8 speed automatic
buying a cpo gs 350 if gas mileage is not an issue is a great choice
the gs200 turbo releases this month
Old 10-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
No kidding. I was on Q50 and ATS forums for about a year or so before I bought the TLX and the stuff mentioned here is nothing compared to the mess I was reading in those forums. The transmission, for some of us, is a bit of a disappointment for sure, but it hasn't gotten me to hate the car yet. Far from it, actually. Will I remember it when it comes time to buy my next car? Absolutely. Will I be worried as it comes time for the extended warranty to expire. Absolutely. I wanted to get over 200k on this car, but we'll see ...
Correct, the horror stories of Infiniti buying back Q50's telling people not to drive them because of the steering issues. I'll take a rough/hard/late shift over a car that is not safe to drive. Every make has its share of issues especially rolling our new models these machine are just that complex now.