Went to test drive TLX and ended up with Accord Sport.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by iamitman
Sure Auto might accelerate tad faster now 0-60 but it can't read your mind. .
No but some can read the satellites & setup for what is coming on up the road. BTW manuals are not clairvoyant either. Manual, DCT or auto you still can make things happen by moving the lever or paddles.

As for boring if you are bored driving anything you are not paying attention.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some cars simply aren't as engaging when fitted with an A/T compared to their M/T equipped counterpart. I say some, as I don't believe this applies to all. I've been driving stick for a long time and ideally would like the next car in my stable to be a stick. However, Acura has elected to not offer a M/T for the TLX. So, like others, I've inevitably been exploring alternatives. After taking a long and hard look at the TLX and comparing it against the GS F Sport..it's a close call.

To the OP...congrats on the Accord Sport!
The following users liked this post:
iamitman (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyer92
Some cars simply aren't as engaging when fitted with an A/T compared to their M/T equipped counterpart. I say some, as I don't believe this applies to all. I've been driving stick for a long time and ideally would like the next car in my stable to be a stick. However, Acura has elected to not offer a M/T for the TLX. So, like others, I've inevitably been exploring alternatives. After taking a long and hard look at the TLX and comparing it against the GS F Sport..it's a close call.

To the OP...congrats on the Accord Sport!
It makes me sad that all across the board manuals are getting ditched. I wish they would just my few in every model. I wish I had more options. Accord Sport proved to be great value for the money and it is not that much different than TLX being it is same car underneath. I really don't feel the power difference.

Also, Gauges on TLX are so bland. I love the gauges on the Accord, and yes it was another deal breaker because you look at your gauges a lot.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Alas, the tlx is it the same car as the Accord underneath. Different chassis from what I've read.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I used to own a 2011 V6 Mustang in manual and I loved that car. Not that I particularly moved on (I'm still drooling over the new GT) but I'm hoping to start a new chapter with the TLX with my wife. "If You Want To Go Fast, Go Alone. If You Want To Go Far, Go Together" I think the TLX is definitely an enthusiast car to go far imo.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The reasons manuals used to be so popular for the enthusiast driver really arent there anymore with how good DCTs and Autos are. There is a reason Ferrari and Lambo use DCT, they are faster. You dont get much more of a MT fan than me (i converted my TL to a manual) and i would personally have a true DCT. Its far superior to the MT for the way i use it (auto-x/lapping days, and spirited driving.

Manual gearboxes generally used to be more popular for both speed and gas mileage, I assume these are the old reasons you are referring to? Autos have effectively surpassed manuals in both aspects now, that’s true. But I think there are two types of driving enthusiast….one whose thrill comes from seamless speed (guys who do track days/auto-x), and one whose thrill comes from feeling connected with the car and performing that perfect rev match or downshift all on their own. For this type of driving enthusiast, speed isn’t as relevant. So I personally don’t think one is superior to the other. If you’re having fun out there that’s all that matters, and I’m sure eventually all manuals will be gone. But I do think they still have a place in the modern world. Or should.
hadokenuh (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRyder
Are the new 6MT's LSD?
Nope.

Congrats OP on the new car. Post some pics.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
^thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
One thing I noticed on the Accords, the Accord manual coupe seems to have a VERY nice interior , comparable to the Acuras and better than their sedan counterparts.
I was very impressed when I sat in one. It makes me want one. However I think my days of driving a coupe are over, tooo much crap to haul around. But it is very nice.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

I have an Accord coupe (6 AT) and don't see the interior as all that comparable. The only area that I find comparable is the dual display and dash padding material.

I'm not saying the Accord isn't nice, it truly is a great car own its own.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The reasons manuals used to be so popular for the enthusiast driver really arent there anymore with how good DCTs and Autos are. There is a reason Ferrari and Lambo use DCT, they are faster. You dont get much more of a MT fan than me (i converted my TL to a manual) and i would personally have a true DCT. Its far superior to the MT for the way i use it (auto-x/lapping days, and spirited driving.
For performance and fuel economy, manuals have definitely been surpassed by DCT's and autos, but as RedRyder said, for many of us manuals provide a level of engagement and enjoyment an auto simply can't match. I tested the TLX I4 and was thoroughly impressed with the 8DCT, but was darned happy to get back into my 6MT TSX afterwards. (Well, I wouldn't mind the TLX's quiet cabin and superb suspension tuning, but still...) So I completely understand the OP's decision.

You're right on about the exotics, and they haven't gone DCT just for outright performance and because of low manual take rates, though I'm sure the latter is a huge factor. I read part of an interview with a Porsche executive who explained that one model, I think the 918, revs so quickly that almost no drivers could shift a manual quickly enough to deal with it properly. They thought they couldn't offer a manual for that reason. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens with the NSX.
iamitman (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 11:20 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Autos have only surpassed manuals in fuel economy according to EPA. They are not more efficient. Sure you can give an auto a ridiculous number of gears and stratospherically high gearing and in perfect conditions they can do better than a manual. But in real driving that just isn't the case. Very early days but I am averaging 8.5 ltrs per 100 kms in the TLX, as against a lifetime of 7.0 in the just departed TSX. Sure it has to "break in"....and get used to highish altitude, and we are now on winter fuel, and it's bloody cold. So too early to draw definite conclusions. But all autos absorb some power/energy compared to manuals (even the TLX 2.4 has a torque converter) and that aside a manual has a human brain controlling it always. Anyway I hope I am wrong and in due course I spend less on gas!

I don't understand anyone preferring any aspect of the Accord's interior over the tLX - it's a major reaosn why I didnt buy an Accord. I love its exterior style and interior room - but I don't need all that rear space. I really don't like its interior design, its asymmetry, choice of materials. Its ride quality is nowhere near the same standard and it is nowhere near as quiet either. The Accord Sport MT is an undeniable bargain though and I was tempted - as you say in some respects a better car than the TSX. If they made a sport V6 with an MT, a 60/40, XM for about $3000 more than the 2.4 Sport I'd be all over it...maybe with some nice Alcantera seat fabric.

Just as we still see turntables (even as CD sales die) I think ther may always be manuals made. In fact when everything has gone all electric, and the transmission a thing of the past, all that will be left will be manuals.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by a77
I don't understand anyone preferring any aspect of the Accord's interior over the tLX - it's a major reaosn why I didnt buy an Accord. I love its exterior style and interior room - but I don't need all that rear space. I really don't like its interior design, its asymmetry, choice of materials. Its ride quality is nowhere near the same standard and it is nowhere near as quiet either.
I think the interior of the Accord is actually very nice - I think it's far better than the competition (Camry/Altima/Etc). Ride quality and NVH is where they have lots of room for growth when they roll out the 10th gen
Old 11-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I have an Accord coupe (6 AT) and don't see the interior as all that comparable. The only area that I find comparable is the dual display and dash padding material.

I'm not saying the Accord isn't nice, it truly is a great car own its own.
Nice stable of cars u have there
Is your accord coupe an EX-L ?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Racer

Well here are some pics:

I love the gauges on this car! Much better than the base TLX. Again this is my opinion.

Name:  IMG_20141110_115518_zpstdpxfp7f.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  92.1 KB

Also love the center stack with just one screen up top.

Name:  IMG_20141110_115531_zps9918hnpv.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  111.8 KB

Side profile is nice with the 18's. Will at least get the side skirts to complete the look.

Name:  IMG_20141110_115554_zpshbxfip0m.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  152.8 KB

Front is pretty aggressive as well.

Name:  IMG_20141110_115607_zpsmf7xi0jr.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20141110_115627_zpstdubkpjn.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  145.6 KB

Close up of wheel and more I want to get the sideskirt now!

Name:  IMG_20141110_115642_zpswrngk1lr.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  124.7 KB

And WHY THE HELL ACURA NOT DO DUAL EXHAUST FOR TLX?

Name:  IMG_20141110_115710_zpsts3pelgq.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  154.2 KB
civicdrivr (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Haha.. sorry, just had to laugh.. the TLX does have dual exhaust.. but I expect you meant exhaust tips.. the
ACURA is saving that look for a type-s... maybe
Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Racer

Haha.. sorry, just had to laugh.. the TLX does have dual exhaust.. but I expect you meant exhaust tips.. the
ACURA is saving that look for a type-s... maybe
You know what I mean. TLX is not that much of a fuel efficient to show no exhaust tips as being a green vehicle. Big mistake on Acura's part.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

You know what I mean. TLX is not that much of a fuel efficient to show no exhaust tips as being a green vehicle. Big mistake on Acura's part.
It's selling just fine in spite of such a "big mistake". The tips are just for looks and not showing them actually sets the TLX apart. The Lexus GS and LS have fake tips which I dislike more.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,230 Likes on 4,857 Posts
The Lexus GS and LS have fake tips which I dislike more.
It really does set it apart.

The following 4 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
amasianasian (11-10-2014), CLassy02 (11-11-2014), iamitman (11-10-2014), silverTL6 (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 02:00 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I like the TLX but I was a little put off by the lack of the exhaust tips as well. It's not a huge loss, but is noticeable. I always wondered if Acura is trying to make their cars look like an electric.

The Accord Sport is very nice looking, and from the driver's seat, it looks nice and non distracting. When I see a lot of the new cars (and I look often), I think the amount of information on the screens in the cars can be distracting. Trying to find an HVAC, seat heat, or radio setting in a submenu of an infotainment system while driving can be downright dangerous. Between that and using one's cellphone while driving will no doubt result in more rear hit collisions from distracted drivers. When I drive my TL, I'm focused straight ahead, on the road. I don't rely on electonic nannies to keep me in my lane, alert me for vehicles on my side, and probably wouldn't want adaptive cruise control. I'd rather be on alert while driving vs. letting the car do some of the functions and persuading the driver into a false sense of security. My BT audio setup is such that I don't see the nam of the song or artist on the display above and I'm good with that as it's completely non distracting.

As for MT, I do have a car with an MT (MR2 Spyder), but for my DD, I'd rather have the automatic (plus, the wife soesn't drive stick for the few times she drives my car).
The following 2 users liked this post by erdoc48:
amasianasian (11-10-2014), Monte TLS,MAX (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRyder

Manual gearboxes generally used to be more popular for both speed and gas mileage, I assume these are the old reasons you are referring to? Autos have effectively surpassed manuals in both aspects now, that’s true. But I think there are two types of driving enthusiast….one whose thrill comes from seamless speed (guys who do track days/auto-x), and one whose thrill comes from feeling connected with the car and performing that perfect rev match or downshift all on their own. For this type of driving enthusiast, speed isn’t as relevant. So I personally don’t think one is superior to the other. If you’re having fun out there that’s all that matters, and I’m sure eventually all manuals will be gone. But I do think they still have a place in the modern world. Or should.
Good comments like this are being ignored by most "enthusiasts" on this board. It's like they read but don't acknowledge any of them
Old 11-10-2014, 02:42 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Regardless of auto vs. manual, the Accord needs a limited slip differential. Especially the V6 - 6. Not sure if the TLX non-SHAWD editions have LSD (do they?).

Congrats to iamitman.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tjh94607
In the market. Accord is Poor Man's Acura
And Acura a poor man's Audi? So Audi must then be a poor man's Lambo? I guess that makes Lambo a poor man's Ferrari. Conclusion: The Accord is a poor man's La Ferrari. I can live with that
Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by hddnav
I don't know about that. The Accord Sport and TLX 4-cylinder go almost head-to-head, with a price difference of being only $5k or so.

The Accord is roomy, practical, super value-oriented, and sporty, while the Acura is just a more stylish Accord, but shrinks from the size of an Accord to a Civic. The Accord is the benchmark and single most important car for Honda, and it shows. The Acura is a derivative product based on the Accord, which is not a bad thing at all, but is made to appeal to a much narrower audience (including the young wanna-be speed racer). Unless you jump to a different powertrain from the Accord, you can hardly claim that the Acura is in a different class.

Only the buyer can decide what's more important. I would personally buy an Accord Sport over a 4-cylinder TLX. I think the original poster made a very wise choice.
Accord Sport starts at $23,865 and TLX starts at $30,995. Difference is $7130.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tonyware
And Acura a poor man's Audi? So Audi must then be a poor man's Lambo? I guess that makes Lambo a poor man's Ferrari. Conclusion... The Accord is a poor man's La Ferrari. I can live with that
To be honest as I grow older, the car status matters less and less. I live in Canter City Philly, don't need a car most the time. Just want it to be fun and reliable. I am going to enjoy extra 2K years saved in Car/Insurance payments!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
To be honest as I grow older, the car status matters less and less. I live in Canter City Philly...
Same here on both counts, and from your (great) pics it looks like you're only a few blocks away. I'll be on the lookout for the black Accord Sport with 6MT!
Old 11-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I LOVE the Accord Sport, especially in manual. I test drove one about 18 months ago for spits and giggles, and almost bought one on the spot. As a nearly 25-year Honda driver, the Sport takes me back to what my first Hondas felt like--sweet manual, great greenhouse for excellent visibility, great handling, and lots of room in a small package. The 9G Accord is simply awesome.

Good choice, OP! Not as luxurious as the TLX for sure, but Sport is not chopped liver.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 657 Likes on 354 Posts
It's preference. I can drive a manual but prefer auto. There are things with manual that can really bring out the performance of a vehicle definitely, but my lazy self is auto all day. lol. Plus I know chicks really dig the "stick" but not enough for me to drive daily!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut

The TXL wins in the areas that were most important to me:
1) Ride Quality - my Accord rode nice on the freeway but most any other "less than perfect road" was a firm borderline harsh ride. The quality of ride in the TXL is measurably better.
2) NVH - My 13 Accord (the 5th one I owned going back to my 84 Accord LX!) was the most quiet Accord I owned however the TLX cabin is far and away better with regards to NVH. Acura did a great job in that area!

Another area where the TXL is superior is handling - skidpad numbers aside my real-world experience throwing both cars at the same off-ramps is that the TLX has less body roll and feels more planted and stable than my Accord.
I agree completely. Coming from the 2013 Accord V6 Touring to the V6 TLX Advance was significant.

The ride quality is not just a subtle improvement, but astonishing better. The Accord long distance ride was annoying. It continuously over exaggerated tactile feedback of the road to the point of being exhausting.

In situations where you put the Accord sedan in turns at limits there's always an underlying feeling of displeasure. It's not that it wouldn't do it but rather there was just enough balking to subtlety remind you "I'm not designed for this."

Having driven both I can say that I'd never consider another Accord unless Honda improves the suspension. Honda does, however, make very slick gearboxes. So if the OP is more drawn to the MT experience I'm glad he found a vehicle at a price point that spoke to him that was stillb in the Honda family.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
love Accord Sport, i just hope for MMC they'll add push button start and moon roof as an option at least for the Accord Sport.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
I actually traded my 13 Accord Sport 6 M/T for my 15 TLX I4 partly because a left ankle injury a few years ago and pumping the clutch pedal all the time was hurting sometimes. And because I wanted a more premium car this time. I also don't like CVT transmissions and Acura's 8 spd DCT is simply great.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
love Accord Sport, i just hope for MMC they'll add push button start and moon roof as an option at least for the Accord Sport.
In Canada 15 Accord Sport gets moon roof standard.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
^ I don't understand why the Canadian vehicles get all the nice options? It seems like a moon roof would be a more useful option in the southern states for an Accord Sport. Then the TLX gets the foldy mirrors and rear seat heater in Canada along with other useful features. It boggles my mind why Honda wants to makes those options so exclusive- especially since the company has already designed and manufactured them. Does not make a lot of sense to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by LaCostaRacer:
civicdrivr (11-11-2014), JT4 (11-11-2014), neuronbob (11-12-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Alien from Mars

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
My 2 friends own 9G '14 Accord V6 EX-L/Navi Coupe and '15 Sedan version and I've sat in the new TLX. I love the exterior look on both. They are unique.

I don't understand where people say TLX is more "premium". Yes the road noise/dampening may be a bit better in TLX but nothing worth writing novel. Otherwise, both cars share same technology from engine to navi. The accord gauges, interior dash, center console triumph over TLX. Comeon Acura, you made your dash look all plastic for a premium car especially comparing it to 9G Accord. The audio speakers suck on accords

If I was in market to fork $40,000 and I had some common sense, I would not skip on 9G Accord V6 EX-L as it compares today

Last edited by corrado85; 11-11-2014 at 08:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by corrado85:
civicdrivr (11-11-2014), iamitman (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by corrado85
My 2 friends own 9G '14 Accord V6 EX-L/Navi Coupe and '15 Sedan version and I've sat in the new TLX. I love the exterior look on both. They are unique.

I don't understand where people say TLX is more "premium". Yes the road noise/dampening may be a bit better in TLX but nothing worth writing novel. Otherwise, both cars share same technology from engine to navi. The accord gauges, interior dash, center console triumph over TLX. Comeon Acura, you made your dash look all plastic for a premium car especially comparing it to 9G Accord. The audio speakers suck on accords

If I was in market to fork $40,000 and I had some common sense, I would not skip on 9G Accord V6 EX-L as it compares today
There is a HUGE difference in the sound dampening, lots more tech... what are you expecting the dash to be made of? Leather? Imagine trying to keep that up.
TLX>ACCORD but if one wants to settle for less .... it's their $$
Old 11-11-2014, 09:17 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
^ I don't understand why the Canadian vehicles get all the nice options? It seems like a moon roof would be a more useful option in the southern states for an Accord Sport. Then the TLX gets the foldy mirrors and rear seat heater in Canada along with other useful features. It boggles my mind why Honda wants to makes those options so exclusive- especially since the company has already designed and manufactured them. Does not make a lot of sense to me.
^^ I couldn't agree more, it makes no sense to me either..
Old 11-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
To be honest most people are lazy and all they want is Tech and HP rating. No one wants to drive anymore, they want to text, talk on phone and update facebook. Thank God Honda continues to supply the Slick Stick Shift.
How much loss in HP and Torque does the AT CVT undergo compared to mating it to a MT?

If they want HP rating on the same car, MT is the way to go.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,230 Likes on 4,857 Posts
Originally Posted by internalaudit
How much loss in HP and Torque does the AT CVT undergo compared to mating it to a MT?

If they want HP rating on the same car, MT is the way to go.
Normal DCTs don't sap as much power as a traditional automatic, and today's automatics are much more efficient then they were ten years ago. Its the torque converter that eats up power.
internalaudit (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Normal DCTs don't sap as much power as a traditional automatic, and today's automatics are much more efficient then they were ten years ago. Its the torque converter that eats up power.
But damn the I4 and V6 TLX rocking motion when coming to a stand still or was that going from a stand still.

Hopefully firmware updates are all that are needed.

Last edited by internalaudit; 11-11-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
^^^
Don't think I've heard about any rocking motion on the I4. Thought it was just the V6?

Quick Reply: Went to test drive TLX and ended up with Accord Sport.