TLX A-Spec Owners: Your 3 Favourite Things

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
TLX A-Spec Owners: Your 3 Favourite Things

Now that there are more A-Spec owners out there, as well as prospective A-Spec owners, it might be helpful for those still sitting on the fence to hear from people with practical experience with this car what they love most about it. No need for long essays waxing lyrical (but a Haiku wouldn't be frowned upon); just simply the top three things that you appreciate most about the 2018 TLX A-Spec.

For me, after 2 weeks with this car:

1. The suspension - An extremely well-judged balance of road-holding and comfort, with what feels like a very wide stance, and the terrific response to any steering input.

2. The steering wheel - Would have been nice if they used some perforated leather, but the beefiness of the new steering wheel makes it a delight to behold and because the thickest part of the wheel is right at 9 and 3, it encourages you to use the paddles. I drove the car exclusively in Sport+ all day yesterday, shifting with the paddles manually and it's better than I thought it'd be.

3. Revised exterior design - I absolutely love the new grill and logo, the 19" split-spoke wheels, the rear diffuser with the round exhaust outlets, and the black trim everywhere. Mine is a San Marino Red, and I came very close to not getting it because I had wanted the Still Night Blue. But now I have absolutely zero regrets. I was sitting outside the Starbucks the other evening when two people walked past the car and said how incredible the colour was.

Sneaky Honourable Mention:

4. Smart Entry & Walk-Away Auto-Lock - I know this isn't an A-Spec exclusive thing (heck, even some Civic trim levels have them), but I just really enjoy being able to open the windows and sunroof remotely through the key fob, as well as just being able to close the door behind me and let the car lock and arm itself.

Really loving this car!
The following 6 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
a35tl (06-24-2017), hadokenuh (06-26-2017), jyrtl (07-10-2017), mapleloaf (06-24-2017), MarcoTLX (06-15-2022), steve_97060 (06-24-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-24-2017, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
It's like you read my mind. My faves are exactly the same including the special mention. I've had walk away locking on my GM (well, Cadillac) products for years. It's about damn time Acura added it as a feature. THANK YOU ACURA! My other special mention is Still Night Blue. Dat blue. It makes the whole car for me.

I'll add my number one hate. Auto-stop engine! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

When I'm turning into a parking lot at one of my hospitals, I stop to swipe my ID with the wheels turned. Engine turns off. The steering wheel LOCKS. That extra microsecond the I have to spend turning the locked wheel before the engine turns on drives me bat$hit crazy. Auto stop would be tolerable if not for that.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
SebringSilver (06-24-2017), steve_97060 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

When I'm turning into a parking lot at one of my hospitals, I stop to swipe my ID with the wheels turned. Engine turns off. The steering wheel LOCKS. That extra microsecond the I have to spend turning the locked wheel before the engine turns on drives me bat$hit crazy. Auto stop would be tolerable if not for that.
Why does the steering wheel lock? I'm finishing up a lease of the '15 TLX Tech and will be test driving an ASPEC next week. I've heard a lot of people with the previous years' Advance models complain about the auto-engine off feature being garbage. I was hoping that wasn't included on the ASPEC model.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

My ritual on all three TLXs that I've owned is:

1. Start engine
2. Hit "D"
3. Release parking brake
4. Deactivate Auto Stop

I developed muscle memory for this sequence after a couple of weeks.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
MarcoTLX (06-15-2022), neuronbob (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

The Auto Stop feature was so seamless with the RLX SH that I didn't even notice it until the tach went to zero. I guess that's part of paying the big bucks.

I'll have to do a swwp dive into this part of the forum to see how much of a fuel economy hit not using Autp Stop makes. I can't imagine it's much.

Otherwise, this is a very enjoyable car. I still like after a week!
Old 06-24-2017, 09:34 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
My ritual on all three TLXs that I've owned is:

1. Start engine
2. Hit "D"
3. Release parking brake
4. Deactivate Auto Stop

I developed muscle memory for this sequence after a couple of weeks.
1-3 same
4 hit IDS twice for Sport+ (deactivates AS also)
Old 06-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Momyc
1-3 same
4 hit IDS twice for Sport+ (deactivates AS also)
Thsnks for the heads up. I didn't know putting it in Sport+ automatically disables AS.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Auto Stop feature was so seamless with the RLX SH that I didn't even notice it until the tach went to zero. I guess that's part of paying the big bucks.

I'll have to do a swwp dive into this part of the forum to see how much of a fuel economy hit not using Autp Stop makes. I can't imagine it's much.

You know what would be cool is if someone could figure out how to close the windows and sunroof using the key fob.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:18 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
You know what would be cool is if someone could figure out how to close the windows and sunroof using the key fob.
It can be done with key inserted on the door and hold it on lock position for 2-3 seconds. Unfortunately not working with remote key , at least on my 2015.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Momyc
It can be done with key inserted on the door and hold it on lock position for 2-3 seconds. Unfortunately not working with remote key , at least on my 2015.
Yes, same for most European brands as well. I was able to get some of my Audis reprogrammed to close as well as open windows through the key fob but had no such luck with any of the Mercedes cars.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:40 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
It's like you read my mind. My faves are exactly the same including the special mention. I've had walk away locking on my GM (well, Cadillac) products for years. It's about damn time Acura added it as a feature. THANK YOU ACURA! My other special mention is Still Night Blue. Dat blue. It makes the whole car for me.

I'll add my number one hate. Auto-stop engine! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Isn't there a switch to turn auto stop permanently?

What do you guys feel about engine noise in a-spec for long term use or long drives? Does it become tiring?
Old 06-25-2017, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by alpha0
Isn't there a switch to turn auto stop permanently?

What do you guys feel about engine noise in a-spec for long term use or long drives? Does it become tiring?
The auto-stop has to be turned off every time you start the car. We need a setting to turn it off permanently, unless I'm missing something in the menus. I'm still new to TLX ownership, so please forgive me if I missed.

The sound is there mostly on acceleration and not as much on cruising, so it hasn't been tiring. If you get tired of it, you use the IDS button to change back to "normal" mode as the extra sound is only in the Sport and Sport + modes.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
The auto-stop has to be turned off every time you start the car. We need a setting to turn it off permanently, unless I'm missing something in the menus. I'm still new to TLX ownership, so please forgive me if I missed.

The sound is there mostly on acceleration and not as much on cruising, so it hasn't been tiring. If you get tired of it, you use the IDS button to change back to "normal" mode as the extra sound is only in the Sport and Sport + modes.
None of the car manufacturers do this, unfortunately. Probably has to do with economy benchmarks.

Currently, for Audis people are working tirelessly to use OBDeleven to hack this setting. So far they have done so to mixed results.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
None of the car manufacturers do this, unfortunately. Probably has to do with economy benchmarks.

Currently, for Audis people are working tirelessly to use OBDeleven to hack this setting. So far they have done so to mixed results.
Most of them you could until a year or two ago. I was able to program my Audi via the "Carista" app. I think someone recently told me there is a brand that still stays at the last setting, but I don't rhave member which one. But I think your logic is correct. Same reason cars will not stay in "Sport Mode" when you restart it.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by jjsC5
Most of them you could until a year or two ago. I was able to program my Audi via the "Carista" app. I think someone recently told me there is a brand that still stays at the last setting, but I don't rhave member which one. But I think your logic is correct. Same reason cars will not stay in "Sport Mode" when you restart it.
give it a generation and sport/dynamic driving mode will be the only A4 driving mode worth driving. Auto Start/Stop is off and the AWD takes on the Torsen characteristics.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
BMW Stop/Start uses a "last mode" on startup. I never have to turn it off. Also have the fob programmed to close windows, roof, lock door & fold mirrors. Reverse function available on open button push. Nice when the car is sitting in the sun.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:08 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
1. The car looks great IMO and I get compliments all the time. Last was a younger guy driving a new Maxima "sick car bro!"
2. The combination of an excellent ride and handling without being too harsh or stiff.
3. The exhaust note in Sport. While it may be "fake" it still sounds great.

Bonus like, the steering wheel controls. Very well thought out and I especially like the scroll wheels.
The following 3 users liked this post by MTD:
MarcoTLX (06-15-2022), neuronbob (06-26-2017), SebringSilver (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

I always knew the V6 in the TLX was a smooth engine, but in my 2015s, I think the gearbox programming hindered that smoothness. In the A-Spec, with the revised TCU, the engine now really shines.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Nice!

It seems like Acura has finally nailed that balance between comfort and handling, like BMW used to do.

I'll have to test drive the car after reading so many positive review on the A Spec's suspension.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Nice!

It seems like Acura has finally nailed that balance between comfort and handling, like BMW used to do.

I'll have to test drive the car after reading so many positive review on the A Spec's suspension.
Hopefully you can get your hands on an AWD A-Spec for your test drive. I do think the quicker steering makes a difference to that experience. Let us know your thoughts afterward!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Has any '18 owners noticed the dreaded vibration between 70-85 mph?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rwg105
Has any '18 owners noticed the dreaded vibration between 70-85 mph?
I haven't noticed any vibration, and I am frequently between 75-80 mph on the highway .
Old 06-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

I haven't noticed any vibration, and I am frequently between 75-80 mph on the highway .
Same here. I had that issue with my black 2015, but strangely not on my white 2015. Glad it's not present on the A-Spec.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Bob, here's something you may not have figured out yet. When the car goes into Auto Stop when you've come to a halt, the steering wheel DOESN'T actually lock as you thought. In fact, if you just nudge the steering wheel a little bit off-center, it starts the engine up again without you having to lift off the brake pedal.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Bob, here's something you may not have figured out yet. When the car goes into Auto Stop when you've come to a halt, the steering wheel DOESN'T actually lock as you thought. In fact, if you just nudge the steering wheel a little bit off-center, it starts the engine up again without you having to lift off the brake pedal.
Just realized you figured out that turning the steering wheel deactivates Auto Stop from the other thread.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:00 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts

You can try disconnecting your seat belt as you approach to swipe your ID, that would disable auto-stop.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
You can try disconnecting your seat belt as you approach to swipe your ID, that would disable auto-stop.
That is all band-aid. Acura just needs to add software option in Settings to disable auto stop permanently, no switch or button needed.
The following 4 users liked this post by alpha0:
DLM1213 (06-28-2017), MarcoTLX (06-15-2022), neuronbob (06-27-2017), slimm1469 (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:00 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Wouldn't it be easier to just disable idle stop with the button on the shifter?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:13 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Sam Axe
Wouldn't it be easier to just disable idle stop with the button on the shifter?
I assumed he was being sarcastic.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I assumed he was being sarcastic.
Nah, wasn't being sarcastic, i thought I saw someone post they get annoyed with the amber light being on the dash when they turn it off with the button.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

This isn't really a favourite thing, but just something I happened across.

If your phone is connected to Apple Car Play (using the Lightning cable, of course), and you decide to do a screen capture on your phone, you'll also simultaneously do a screen capture of what's on the car's upper screen. I can't immediately think of a reason why you'd need a screen grab of what's on that screen, but I felt it wouldn't hurt to know that you can do that if you so wish.

Happy long weekend, everybody!
The following users liked this post:
jyrtl (07-10-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
3 favorite things....

1. Love the red leather seats. Great feeling leather, comfortable and supportive at the same time
2. Growl when you hit the accelerator
3. Suspension feels stout and handles well, without punishing you

Honorable mentions...

-New grill
-red light piping interior
-one of the best paint jobs I've seen on any car
The following 2 users liked this post by graphicguy:
MarcoTLX (06-15-2022), SebringSilver (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
3 favorite things....

1. Love the red leather seats. Great feeling leather, comfortable and supportive at the same time
2. Growl when you hit the accelerator
3. Suspension feels stout and handles well, without punishing you

Honorable mentions...

-New grill
-red light piping interior
-one of the best paint jobs I've seen on any car
How you get the growl when you hit accelerator ? I cant seem to hear any growl in my Aspec.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by steig
How you get the growl when you hit accelerator ? I cant seem to hear any growl in my Aspec.
He's referring to the piped-in engine sounds that come through the speakers. It's much more noticeable when in Sport and Sport+ modes.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Sportier interior of the A-Spec
Front grill
New wheels (at least on 17")
Old 07-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
He's referring to the piped-in engine sounds that come through the speakers. It's much more noticeable when in Sport and Sport+ modes.
Ok,
Mine is barely noticeable.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by steig
You only get the piped in engine noise in Sport and Sport +, and if you hit the accelerator appreciably.

The strange thing is, there's hardly any exhaust sound outside. So.....a positive for my neighbors (no racous exhaust note), and a positive for me (a bit of artifical growl), I guess?
Old 07-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm glad Acura didn't follow Renault's lead and offer user-selectable engine sounds. I remember the Renault Clio let you choose from a variety of engine sounds that would come in via the speakers including that of a Nissan GTR.

Hang on a minute!! Just as I was typing the above, something dawned on me. The piped in engine note on the A-Spec does seem a bit reminiscent of the induction sounds on my old NA1 NSX. Neuronbob might be able to chime in on this as he still has his NSX.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Racer

You only get the piped in engine noise in Sport and Sport +, and if you hit the accelerator appreciably.

The strange thing is, there's hardly any exhaust sound outside. So.....a positive for my neighbors (no racous exhaust note), and a positive for me (a bit of artifical growl), I guess?
I read somewhere that noise is piped in above 4000 rpm in sport and sport+.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:55 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm in the process of trying to convince a local Canadian company called Solo Performance to make a catback for the TLX. They are mostly known for their domestic offerings but they have done a few imports. They used my Genesis Coupe to R&D a catbcak that turned out to be super popular. I told the owner that there is only one company that makes an exhaust for the TLX.