TLX = Junk

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015 | 08:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The GLE Coupe & SUV both have 550 & 577 BHP engines available. IMHO high 3, low 4 seconds to 60 is enough heart & soul to cover any shortfall in the rest of the range.

In advertising land there is always puffery from the marketing guys but always nice that someplace in the products lineup there is some muscle to back up the claims.

C&D says

Mostly, though, this vehicle is all about style and performance. With the GLE63 S topping the power of the recently redesigned BMW X6 M, and also outmuscling the Porsche Cayenne Turbo and the Range Rover Sport SVR, this Mercedes might well emerge as the sportiest of them all.

Maybe it would be nice if Acura had something in the TLX product line that came even somewhat close to the zoomy adds. As it stands it has roughly the same overall performance as a Toyota Camry XSE V-6.

C&D RESULTS:
Camery
Zero to 60 mph: 5.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.3 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 21.6 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.3 sec @ 100 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 126 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 178 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g
TLX
Zero to 100 mph: 14.1 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 21.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 100 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 129 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 174 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.82 g

The fact we don't agree on this does not change what is & what is trying to be projected. Why try to create a performance image with a car that is average in that regard when you can sell those things its very good at, bang for the buck, nice electronics, interior & ride etc.
Wow, on paper it is not that thrill after all....
Dang, I didn't know the old man V6 camery is that quick! It looks pretty sporty also! Yeah... come on Acura... you need to do better than that!! Type S would bring back the THRILL.... well maybe
Old 11-01-2015 | 08:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtdrake
I have owned a lot of cars before this little turd mobile. Does it really matter though, several are sedans, some SUVs and a couple pickups. I know you are desperately looking for some scrap of info so you can try to dismiss my opinion of my Acuras. The fact is though, I own them, I don't like them, and this really bothers you. It bothers you because you are a loser who is so proud of his little 4 cylinder compact car, that he cannot stand someone who wouldn't like it.

It's a car, a fair car at best. It will likely be in the scrap yard within 10 years. But you will still be insecure, arguing with people, about their purchases to make yourself feel good about your purchases.
I don't know why people are bashing this guy. He just doesn't like the car and would like to rant about it. What is wrong with it? TLX is not a perfect car but at that price with heavy discount... it's kinda hard to beat it. But if you ask me if I want to buy it at MSRP.... Nope... With all other car makers are making huge progresses on their new products, I felt Acura did a half hassle and put out a just OK product and sell them under 42K. Yes it is competitive when you compare it to ATS, Volvo S60, Nissan Maxima (not even a premium brand), the Buick, maybe Q50. But when you compare it to the higher Tier (ie, 2017 A4, BMW 335, C350, IS350) it is just not that great. Plus all those top tier makers have more premium segments like (A6, A7, BMW 5, 6, 7 series, Merc E, S, and Lexus LS) and they have made them even nicer and more luxurious then ever before. Yes Acura has RLX... but how many do they sell and it only compares to A6, BMW 5, Merc E.... If Acura wants to keep up with those big boys, they have to come up with some better products IMHO....
Old 11-01-2015 | 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

The GLE Coupe & SUV both have 550 & 577 BHP engines available. IMHO high 3, low 4 seconds to 60 is enough heart & soul to cover any shortfall in the rest of the range.

In advertising land there is always puffery from the marketing guys but always nice that someplace in the products lineup there is some muscle to back up the claims.

C&D says

Mostly, though, this vehicle is all about style and performance. With the GLE63 S topping the power of the recently redesigned BMW X6 M, and also outmuscling the Porsche Cayenne Turbo and the Range Rover Sport SVR, this Mercedes might well emerge as the sportiest of them all.

Maybe it would be nice if Acura had something in the TLX product line that came even somewhat close to the zoomy adds. As it stands it has roughly the same overall performance as a Toyota Camry XSE V-6.

C&D RESULTS:
Camery
Zero to 100 mph: 14.3 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 21.6 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.3 sec @ 100 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 126 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 178 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g
TLX
Zero to 100 mph: 14.1 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 21.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 100 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 129 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 174 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.82 g

The fact we don't agree on this does not change what is & what is trying to be projected. Why try to create a performance image with a car that is average in that regard when you can sell those things its very good at, bang for the buck, nice electronics, interior & ride etc.
Doesnt the gs350 have similar numbers to camry as well?
Old 11-01-2015 | 11:19 PM
Racer

I don't want to minimize OP's problems, but the spoiler is added at the dealer so they are responsible and they should be held accountable for that. I don't know why the wheels are stained, but I don't know how that's Acura's fault since I haven't seen much related to that on forums or whatnot and maybe they can be cleaned. The stereo is a subjective matter and although it's not the best, it isn't the worst and that should have been tested during the test drive. The rattles, rear defroster and bluetooth should be covered under warranty and I'd check with the dealer about getting those fixed. The exterior appearance (paint matching) is on us the consumer to find during the test drive or when taking delivery.

I understand if you're angry that you feel the TLX is a piece of crap, and that's your opinion, but at least you don't have a demonic transmission so that's a positive.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015 | 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

I know you like to focus on 0-60, but to most others, sports cars, let alone race cars are definitely much, much more than that. You can put a 1000 hp in an SUV, and it's still no racecar. Came up on a GLE during a spirited drive in the RS yesterday, and I definitely wasn't seeing any AMG GT influence.

You've already shown your bias, but its funny you have no issue with a top heavy SUV claiming it has the heart, and soul of a racecar because a tiny fraction of sales will have high HP engines (what's handling?). Show a TLX driving down some twisty roads however, and....F1 car? (I would have said racecar, but if GLE's qualify....)
Stew4HD (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015 | 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mondster
Doesnt the gs350 have similar numbers to camry as well?
LOL yes it does. 0-60 5.7 1/4 mile 14.1. Unfortunately some people post things with blinders on to try to prove their agenda. It's ignorant and sad.
Mr Hyde (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015 | 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Nexx
LOL yes it does. 0-60 5.7 1/4 mile 14.1. Unfortunately some people post things with blinders on to try to prove their agenda. It's ignorant and sad.
The a/t 328i has similar numbers, and the c300 is around there too if not a tad slower.
Old 11-02-2015 | 12:05 PM
Drifting

^^ Oooh, but those are German cars. They're better - don't you know?
Old 11-02-2015 | 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

We have not seen the numbers for the MB yet but C&D said it should be quicker than the BMW X5M SUV.

C&D Lightning Laps Historical rankings @ the 4.1 mile VIR full course.

# 115 2012 BMW X5 M 3:11.1
# 116 2007 Audi RS4 3:11.2

So yes an SUV can be pretty sporty That is if you think your Audi is sporty.

Don't think a 328 is very much a sport sedan any more than the TLX is. The entry level sport dedan versions IMHO are the M235 & 340i. This is pretty consistent on the BMW forums where the 320/328 are thought of as nice secretary cars except by those that have them.

For a quick Lexus you need to go to the GS-F but its pricy the GS-350 is not being gobbled up by people looking for a sport sedan but more for a nice Lexus. That said the GS350 will get a bit more horsepower & torque in the 2016 model. Maybe the numbers will improve.

Same with the MB CLA300 the base car is slow the optioned one CLA300AMG is a good performer.

BTW you left out the Infiniti Q50 which also is a very good performer

There was a time, 3G 6MT, when the TL ran with the pick of the small sport sedan litter performance wise & trumped them big time on Bang For The Buck. Those days are long gone & based on what is in the market. Now it competes with the bottom entries & is no longer the king of sales & performance.

Remember when the really big magazine 4 way performance tests were the TL, 335, A4 & G37? If it ever does get into one again it will be with the economy flavors of the other brands not the performance versions.

So its back to the fact that in all brands discussed the base models are not all that strong but the lineups all have strong cars except for the TLX.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-02-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2015 | 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Some of you guys need to chill out, the TLX is a decent car but it's not some kind of industry benchmark that you should defend to the grave.

I had a chance to drive one for an entire day when my TL was in service and I was pretty underwhelmed, I'm not saying it was a bad car, but nothing in particular stood out to me about it either. It spoke volumes when I got my car back after service, took a look around and thought to myself, I don't see any reason what-so-ever to even consider trading this toward the TLX. I really hope they step up and bring a Type S model to the table. That's the only time I might consider looking at one, assuming the transmission woes have been fixed as well.
BEAR-AvHistory (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015 | 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Jon you are bordering on flaming, so take it down a notch.
I guess you guys havent seen the trolling he has been doing up and down all the tlx and ilx threads calling everyone losers and telling them they dont have real jobs.

I expect his nonesense to be edited as mine has.
Old 11-02-2015 | 05:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by usdmJON
I guess you guys havent seen the trolling he has been doing up and down all the tlx and ilx threads calling everyone losers and telling them they dont have real jobs.

I expect his nonesense to be edited as mine has.
Yes Jon, tone it down. You are borderline flaming.

Tell me an army story. I like those.
Old 11-02-2015 | 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

^ consider yourself warned as well. Like I said just seconds ago in your ILX thread, if you want to sling mud at each other do it in Ramblings, in the Off Topic section of the forum- not in the model subforums.

This thread has run its course.
Old 11-02-2015 | 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

We have not seen the numbers for the MB yet but C&D said it should be quicker than the BMW X5M SUV.

C&D Lightning Laps Historical rankings @ the 4.1 mile VIR full course.

# 115 2012 BMW X5 M 3:11.1
# 116 2007 Audi RS4 3:11.2

So yes an SUV can be pretty sporty That is if you think your Audi is sporty.....
So its back to the fact that in all brands discussed the base models are not all that strong but the lineups all have strong cars except the TLX
Lol. Again, the TLX isn't shown doing power slides on a tracks like ads for non AMG models. Who cares about the strong cars when those aren't the ones being shown shredding tires.

The widely played GLE ad isn't an AMG commercial. It's not called sporty, it literally states it has the heart and sole of a race car. But again you have no problem with that, but we should report Acura to the FCC for their portrayal of driving on twisty roads at moderate speeds.

An X5M can be manhandled around a track faster than a Ferrari, still doesn't make it a racecar. I can't believe I actually have to explain that. For many cars are more than just magazine stats, 0-60s, and track times, but thanks for your insight.

I have no misconceptions of my RS's performance, especially compared to modern cars in the class. Mine is modified, but I enjoy it's handling, the way it sounds the six speed, subtle looks, and balance between luxury, and rawness, but these aren't things you can explain by magazine stats. Don't think the TLX is a stat car either. Maybe I'm just drawn to them

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 11-02-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2015 | 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ggesq
^ consider yourself warned as well. Like I said just seconds ago in your ILX thread, if you want to sling mud at each other do it in Ramblings, in the Off Topic section of the forum- not in the model subforums.

This thread has run its course.
Sorry. You beat me to it re: the taunting. Started this post before bedtime for the little one. Just got back to it I guess after you locked it.