Throttle / slow acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Question Throttle / slow acceleration...

Why does the TLX (mine is the 2018 FWD 3.5L V6) feel like it's not accelerating quickly relative to the sound of the engine revving?

I push on the throttle, and I hear the engine speeding up, and them somewhere later on I feel the the more rapid acceleration that I wanted. Why doesn't that feeling of acceleration come WHILE I hear the engine revving up? Why is that pushed into the back of my seat feeling coming on so slow? Exactly what is the transmission doing?

It's like Acura engineers found some way to purposefully "smooth out" (delay?) the acceleration - and yet, there is often a little jerk speeding up even if I haven't pushed the throttle in very hard.

Regarding the sprint booster, I seem to be reading some conflicting statements, or at least, those in favor if it fail to explain it properly in terms of how it is different than simply pushing the throttle down faster.

So, setting the Sprint Booster aside for a minute, could someone explain to me technically, what would be needed to not have that feeling of throttle lag? How is the transmission related? Considering the power to weight ratio of the 3.5L V6 TLX, I know it's not going to give me a "go kart" like experience, but isn't thatat least enough power to give some slight amount of thrilling acceleration? Is it partially due to the transmission not shifting up soon enough? Or almost entirely due to delayed throttle resposne. Again, I'm confused, because I hear the engine revving up faster more than what it seems it should relative to the feeling of thrust.

I don't want a "thunk" or a "jerk" from my transmission, but I do want a feeling of linear direct response from the throttle to the tires on the road.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
the J-series engine has always had this quirky characteristic....it makes peak power at 6000-7000 RPM.
also where the stereotype of "loud but slow" Honda's come from.
Vtec just kicked in, YO!!!!

vtec begins somewhere in the 5k range...
if you are unfamiliar.... honda's create power by having a cam with two different profiles...a low speed profile, and a higher RPM profile, called vtec..(Variable Valve timing and lift electronic control)

Last edited by justnspace; 12-11-2017 at 12:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (12-11-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 06:36 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
Why does the TLX (mine is the 2018 FWD 3.5L V6) feel like it's not accelerating quickly relative to the sound of the engine revving?

I push on the throttle, and I hear the engine speeding up, and them somewhere later on I feel the the more rapid acceleration that I wanted. Why doesn't that feeling of acceleration come WHILE I hear the engine revving up? Why is that pushed into the back of my seat feeling coming on so slow? Exactly what is the transmission doing?

It's like Acura engineers found some way to purposefully "smooth out" (delay?) the acceleration - and yet, there is often a little jerk speeding up even if I haven't pushed the throttle in very hard.

Regarding the sprint booster, I seem to be reading some conflicting statements, or at least, those in favor if it fail to explain it properly in terms of how it is different than simply pushing the throttle down faster.

So, setting the Sprint Booster aside for a minute, could someone explain to me technically, what would be needed to not have that feeling of throttle lag? How is the transmission related? Considering the power to weight ratio of the 3.5L V6 TLX, I know it's not going to give me a "go kart" like experience, but isn't thatat least enough power to give some slight amount of thrilling acceleration? Is it partially due to the transmission not shifting up soon enough? Or almost entirely due to delayed throttle resposne. Again, I'm confused, because I hear the engine revving up faster more than what it seems it should relative to the feeling of thrust.

I don't want a "thunk" or a "jerk" from my transmission, but I do want a feeling of linear direct response from the throttle to the tires on the road.
There is no cure, but to drive it in Sport+ or M, which I do most of the time.

At least there is that option. My previous Bimmer didn't and I had a $350 module installed for the sole purpose of killing that nasty throttle delay.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts

It's a good thing you didn't have a late model 2015 like most of us did, the throttle is worst. Sprint booster will fix that throttle lag and pedal travel, on my car i have the light weight pulley, sprint booster and VCM disable and my car feel like a different machine. Im sure when i get my 2018 next month it will feel even better with the mods moved to it. Everyone i spoke to didn't believe me until they drove my car.
The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Pro

From the Acura web page on IDS:
  • NORMAL – A balanced, Acura-level mix of comfort and handling. “Just right,” you could call it.
  • ECONOMY – To maximize fuel efficiency, Economy mode reduces sensitivity to minor throttle input changes, allowing more consistent engine speed. Automatic climate control is also dialed back to ease load on the engine.
  • SPORT – The power steering assist is reduced to increase steering feel and feedback. Response levels for P-AWS® or SH-AWD® and the Drive-by-Wire™ throttle are heightened. Active Sound Control is diminished to let in more of the beautiful engine note.
SPORT+ – While maintaining Sport levels and easing climate control, Sport+ adds a much more aggressive – and much more fun – shifting algorithm. This is the way to experience the full potential of the TLX.
It's funny, even Acura's graphic shows that throttle response is not set to it's fastest in "Sport+":

Old 12-12-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^in my 06 TL, the last two ticks of the tachometer are for an arbitrary 8000 and 9000 RPM.
Fuel cutoff is at 7200 RPM.

it seems as if the graphics are just made up for marketing purposes.
(Yeah, it's that kind of thrill)

Last edited by justnspace; 12-12-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
From the Acura web page on IDS:
  • NORMAL – A balanced, Acura-level mix of comfort and handling. “Just right,” you could call it.
  • ECONOMY – To maximize fuel efficiency, Economy mode reduces sensitivity to minor throttle input changes, allowing more consistent engine speed. Automatic climate control is also dialed back to ease load on the engine.
  • SPORT – The power steering assist is reduced to increase steering feel and feedback. Response levels for P-AWS® or SH-AWD® and the Drive-by-Wire™ throttle are heightened. Active Sound Control is diminished to let in more of the beautiful engine note.
SPORT+ – While maintaining Sport levels and easing climate control, Sport+ adds a much more aggressive – and much more fun – shifting algorithm. This is the way to experience the full potential of the TLX.
It's funny, even Acura's graphic shows that throttle response is not set to it's fastest in "Sport+":
That is not unusual. Its done on almost all high performance applications. By relaxing the throttle you have much more control over it. Might be counter intuitive but the last thing you want is a all on - all off instantaneous feel to the throttle because you loose the ability to feather it. Without a clutch all you have is the throttle to keep the driving tires from slipping. Even with a clutch a soft throttle makes it easier to balance throttle pressure & clutch release.

In the case of a FWD the last thing you want is a high impact power engagement. FWD cars naturally loose traction on quick launches & a harsh throttle only makes it worse. RWD cars are more forgiving because they gain traction up to a point on hard launches.

Putting my money where my mouth or my keyboard is in this case any car I ran had the throttle softened including the way I have programed the COBRA which is a sub 4 second to 60 car. On the BMW's when I tracked them the JB4 system allowed me to not only soften the throttle but program reduced maximum boost in 1st & 2nd gear.

Kind of opposite of what that throttle thingy does that people buy.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-12-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
...(Yeah, it's that kind of thrill)
When even the marketing department decides to call it an "8 out of 10" level of excitement LMAO