AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   For those on the fence, what other cars at this price range are you considering? (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/those-fence-what-other-cars-price-range-you-considering-916367/)

internalaudit 08-18-2014 11:58 AM

For those on the fence, what other cars at this price range are you considering?

I'm turning Japanese...

It seems the IS250 (if the turbo version does comes out), IS350 or the V6 TLX w/ SH-AWD.

I still have to wait until 2017 to see if Tesla's able to come up with the Gen 3 for $35k.

Yumcha 08-18-2014 12:01 PM

Well, that segment is rather competitive IMO...You could also go for an Infiniti Q50 or Caddy CTS...pay a bit more, and you're into a 3-Series, Audi A4, or Mercedes C-Class. Volvo is also enticing.

Of course, if we are doing a straight feature for feature compare, I would rule out the Germans because the $$$ would be much higher.

madrussian190 08-18-2014 12:16 PM

The S60's T6 trim with the I4 turbo with s/c looks very sexy. Starting at $39, easy competitor for the V6

nzone 08-18-2014 12:23 PM

I'm not in the market to buy...just got my 2011 mdx adv/ent 6 months ago. But if I was looking to buy, I wouldn't consider the TLX. For the asking price and the styling cues, I would look elsewhere for Lexus IS, Inf Q50, BMW 3-series, Mercedes C-class, and Cadillac ATS.

razingkane93 08-18-2014 03:34 PM

I'm in the market and I'm done looking. I've looked at Audi A3 and A4, Honda Accord V6, Acura ILX, RDX and TL, Lexus IS250 and IS350, Infiniti Q50, BMW 328 and 335. I'll be parking a TLX V6 Advance BWP w/Espresso or Basque Red Pearl w/parchment in my driveway by the end of the month.

Yumcha 08-18-2014 03:37 PM

I'm absolutely NOT suggesting them but I daresay Buick and Lincoln have kinda creeped into Acura's market.

kongx7 08-18-2014 03:50 PM

The fact that the sh-awd TLX isn't out yet is bothering me in my decision. The other car I'm on the fence with is the 2014 Lexus IS350 and IS350 F Sport. Sure it's a couple thousand more, but the IS is attractive and Lexus is known to be reliable as well.

Yumcha 08-18-2014 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by kongx7 (Post 15125402)
The fact that the sh-awd TLX isn't out yet is bothering me in my decision. The other car I'm on the fence with is the 2014 Lexus IS350 and IS350 F Sport. Sure it's a couple thousand more, but the IS is attractive and Lexus is known to be reliable as well.

The IS is a smaller car though. You'll probably see the difference in the rear seats.

kongx7 08-18-2014 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 15125412)
The IS is a smaller car though. You'll probably see the difference in the rear seats.

I've test driven both and it isn't that much smaller. The rear seats is smaller but I don't think I'll ever be a passenger in my own car unless I'm drunk as hell so it wouldn't matter to me. The front seat is about an inch wider in shoulder and hip space. That's due to the IS having the sportier bucket seats. Driver legroom and headroom is similar as well, in my opinion.

Yumcha 08-18-2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by kongx7 (Post 15125430)
I've test driven both and it isn't that much smaller. The rear seats is smaller but I don't think I'll ever be a passenger in my own car unless I'm drunk as hell so it wouldn't matter to me. The front seat is about an inch wider in shoulder and hip space. That's due to the IS having the sportier bucket seats. Driver legroom and headroom is similar as well, in my opinion.

Ah okay. I can't say to have sat in both. But, from a visual inspection, it appears the IS is noticeably smaller. Go figure.

I will say that the TLX does have a pretty darn good pricepoint though. Just a matter of personal perference at this juncture IMO. :)

kongx7 08-18-2014 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 15125437)
Ah okay. I can't say to have sat in both. But, from a visual inspection, it appears the IS is noticeably smaller. Go figure.

I will say that the TLX does have a pretty darn good pricepoint though. Just a matter of personal perference at this juncture IMO. :)

Right, visually it is smaller. But I was surprised when I sat in one over the weekend and his much similar interior size is. The IS's center console/armrest/shift knob area also is sitting higher than the TLX, so that part of the IS does make it a bit smaller.
Exterior length, width, and height of the TLX IS very slightly bigger than IS.

brutustlx 08-18-2014 04:18 PM

Cars considering in the 30k-35k price range.
Audi a3, loved it in Quattro but backseat too small, driver seat not super comfortable.
A4 pretty much fits bill plus could get 6sp manual BUT less features for price but do get Quattro.
Accord v6 or hybrid only driven 4cyl exl, did not like cvt and want something more sporty.
Tl SHAWD plus tech can get blow out price and love the awd and power, styling meh, size meh, interior I liked but it kills me to get an old design on any car I usually go for early in life cycle take advantage of advances in really everything.
Not driven
Volvo v60, love seats and styling and versatility but again less features for money
Bmw 3 series 328 xdrive since lease deals are awesome but I am not really a bmw douche, nor have I be leased.

That should cover it where my head is at. I would love awd 2.4 tlx if they had it. Own 2004 tsx yeah first year model run in first batches, zero problems (goes out to that other thread where someone said 1st year Always have issues. :-p)

docboy 08-18-2014 04:49 PM

I'm probably in the minority here, but as of now the production TLX does not visually appeal to me. And without 6MT availability, I would expect at least a DCT with the SH-AWD trim.

Not to mention that my ongoing fight with Acura not standing by its powertrain warranty regarding oil consumption is giving me a bad taste.

My next vehicle will probably be a CPO Macan or 911.

internalaudit 08-18-2014 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by brutustlx (Post 15125476)
Cars considering in the 30k-35k price range.
Audi a3, loved it in Quattro but backseat too small, driver seat not super comfortable.
A4 pretty much fits bill plus could get 6sp manual BUT less features for price but do get Quattro.
Accord v6 or hybrid only driven 4cyl exl, did not like cvt and want something more sporty.
Tl SHAWD plus tech can get blow out price and love the awd and power, styling meh, size meh, interior I liked but it kills me to get an old design on any car I usually go for early in life cycle take advantage of advances in really everything.
Not driven
Volvo v60, love seats and styling and versatility but again less features for money
Bmw 3 series 328 xdrive since lease deals are awesome but I am not really a bmw douche, nor have I be leased.

That should cover it where my head is at. I would love awd 2.4 tlx if they had it. Own 2004 tsx yeah first year model run in first batches, zero problems (goes out to that other thread where someone said 1st year Always have issues. :-p)

Damn, I'm so cheap, I'd settle for the 2.4L ILX if it came with SH-AWD. :) The TLX V6 SH-AWD is on the top of my list though who knows what happens by 2017.

Yumcha 08-18-2014 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by docboy (Post 15125524)
I'm probably in the minority here, but as of now the production TLX does not visually appeal to me. And without 6MT availability, I would expect at least a DCT with the SH-AWD trim.

Not to mention that my ongoing fight with Acura not standing by its powertrain warranty regarding oil consumption is giving me a bad taste.

My next vehicle will probably be a CPO Macan or 911.

The Porsche Macan is gorgeous.

And of course, the 911...'nuff said. :drool:

hddnav 08-18-2014 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by brutustlx (Post 15125476)

A different perspective regarding the best time to purchase during a car's life cycle....

I think the best time to buy is after a model's MMC. I bought my 2013 TL after the 2012 MMC, because I intend to keep my car for a long time and wanted to be confident that the design has been proven and refined. The MMC provided improvements in transmission, noise dampening, styling, and bug-fixes. As a result, the first 13k miles of my car has been absolutely flawless, with hardly a rattle to be heard.

I've purchased cars in their first model years before, including a 1999.5 Jetta VR6 and 2005 Subaru Outback XT. Both turned out to be real time-bombs with regards to catastrophic failure (the VW is just an unreliable POS, and the first model year just made it can even bigger POS, while that year of Subaru Turbo 2.5L engines was LATER known as having extremely high failure rates for the turbo itself). In all cases, while that brand new generation of car was introduced, it was always touted as the latest and greatest, with the manufacturer having learned all previous lessons.

Once bitten, twice shy. Let someone else be a guinea pig, if I can help it. After the 2G/3G TL and Honda Accord transmission disasters of the early to mid 2000's, waiting for a new design to be proven (TLX 8 and 9 speed transmissions) is not necessarily being too conservative, although I still have faith that Honda won't repeat their transmission saga.

Dimensions 08-19-2014 05:44 AM

My 2012 Honda Accord lease is up in April 2015 but the introductory Acura TLX program has me considering car options now. Cars that I was considering for lease end are Honda According Touring and Subaru Legacy 3.6r Limited. For the money I prefer TLX i4 Tech over Accord Touring.

Right now it's a struggle between my brain and heart. Brains says go with Legacy 3.6r limited to get active safety features (vs. passive), 18" wheels, AWD, auto-dimming side mirrors and larger split-fold rear seat pass-through for approx. $34k. Cons are CVT and H6 mileage (20/28). Heart says go with TLX - it's just nice looking and is more geared to that sporty feel I am looking for. TLX v6 SH-AWD Tech is out of price range.

frainc 08-19-2014 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dimensions (Post 15126121)
My 2012 Honda Accord lease is up in April 2015 but the introductory Acura TLX program has me considering car options now. Cars that I was considering for lease end are Honda According Touring and Subaru Legacy 3.6r Limited. For the money I prefer TLX i4 Tech over Accord Touring.

Right now it's a struggle between my brain and heart. Brains says go with Legacy 3.6r limited to get active safety features (vs. passive), 18" wheels, AWD, auto-dimming side mirrors and larger split-fold rear seat pass-through for approx. $34k. Cons are CVT and H6 mileage (20/28). Heart says go with TLX - it's just nice looking and is more geared to that sporty feel I am looking for. TLX v6 SH-AWD Tech is out of price range.

Funny that you are looking at a Legacy 3.6, as I am also. I'm not worry about the gas mileage as it also takes regular gas. Love the safety features and AWD. By the way, the CVT has shift points like a 6-speed. Since my son works for Subaru I could get the limited with nav. and Eyesight for 31K. ALot of car for the money.

By the way, I have been in Honda's and Acura's for the past 20 years.

Tonyware 08-19-2014 10:07 AM

2105 Subaru WRX sport+tech package (~$35k in Canada).

Glashub 08-19-2014 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by hddnav (Post 15125569)
A different perspective regarding the best time to purchase during a car's life cycle....

I think the best time to buy is after a model's MMC. I bought my 2013 TL after the 2012 MMC, because I intend to keep my car for a long time and wanted to be confident that the design has been proven and refined. The MMC provided improvements in transmission, noise dampening, styling, and bug-fixes. As a result, the first 13k miles of my car has been absolutely flawless, with hardly a rattle to be heard.

I've purchased cars in their first model years before, including a 1999.5 Jetta VR6 and 2005 Subaru Outback XT. Both turned out to be real time-bombs with regards to catastrophic failure (the VW is just an unreliable POS, and the first model year just made it can even bigger POS, while that year of Subaru Turbo 2.5L engines was LATER known as having extremely high failure rates for the turbo itself). In all cases, while that brand new generation of car was introduced, it was always touted as the latest and greatest, with the manufacturer having learned all previous lessons.

Once bitten, twice shy. Let someone else be a guinea pig, if I can help it. After the 2G/3G TL and Honda Accord transmission disasters of the early to mid 2000's, waiting for a new design to be proven (TLX 8 and 9 speed transmissions) is not necessarily being too conservative, although I still have faith that Honda won't repeat their transmission saga.

The 4G MMC was dramatic. Lots of stuff added and styling changes too. I have one of the 1st IS's sold in America and it's been flawless. It had a rattle in the passenger seat and Lexus wanted me to leave it at the dealer so their engineers could examine it and track if was a production problem. I kicked a little bit of a storm about not wanting to leave my new car -- so they got it fixed in less than hour and then sent me a check for $700 with an apology letter.

internalaudit 08-19-2014 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Glashub (Post 15126437)
The 4G MMC was dramatic. Lots of stuff added and styling changes too. I have one of the 1st IS's sold in America and it's been flawless. It had a rattle in the passenger seat and Lexus wanted me to leave it at the dealer so their engineers could examine it and track if was a production problem. I kicked a little bit of a storm about not wanting to leave my new car -- so they got it fixed in less than hour and then sent me a check for $700 with an apology letter.

Was there anything new (particularly engine design) on the GS or were most carry-overs from the previous gen?

TLX = VCM, DI, transmission

kurtatx 08-19-2014 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tonyware (Post 15126387)
2105 Subaru WRX sport+tech package (~$35k in Canada).

Test drove one of those last time I got my Forester worked on. Overall it's a sweet car, but it certainly does not feel as Premium. It's very Subaru-y, which to me means the best non-Korean feeling regular brand.

Glashub 08-19-2014 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by internalaudit (Post 15126566)
Was there anything new (particularly engine design) on the GS or were most carry-overs from the previous gen?

TLX = VCM, DI, transmission

The engines are carry over's but with a new patented hybrid DI/port injection system to deal with carbon build up and oil consumption. Most everything else is new i.e. suspension, 8 speed tranny, etc.

docboy 08-19-2014 04:22 PM

Talk about excellent customer service :thumbsup: (which Acura sorely lacks).

Stew4HD 08-19-2014 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by docboy (Post 15127027)
Talk about excellent customer service :thumbsup: (which Acura sorely lacks).

Do you mean dealership?

kurtatx 08-19-2014 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD (Post 15127091)
Do you mean dealership?

Pretty sure "customer service" on the dealer level is case by case. For instance, as long as I live in Austin, I will never by an Audi from Roger Beasley. The dealership is terrible.

McDavid Acura is okay, but I haven't spent a lot of time there.

Stew4HD 08-19-2014 06:41 PM

Sterling McCall Acura has been absolutely stellar. Sterling McCall Lexus has a much nicer waiting room with a deli and short order cook but I feel that I get more personal attention at the Acura dealer.. Gillman Honda.. What's customer service?

winstrolvtec 08-19-2014 07:12 PM

Have to agree with some others, that's sounds too good to be true, however I'm not doubting it in the slightest, it's just the best way to describe it. I think I know why Lexus has such stellar dealership experiences and I think it's actually a corporate devised philosophy and/or structure but may be wrong and I'm sure not every dealer is the same.

Around here, not sure if they all do it but I know of one Lexus dealer that drops off a loaner and picks up your car on availability and then returns it. They are driven by well dressed and manured individuals. I think the techs or drive-in associates for when you bring it in put a thin flexible kind of encasing around the steering wheel and place paper floor mats and put latex gloves on. I'm sure it's reflected in the prices but it's a really nice touch. Good to see such care going into it, as it should be.

However, I can't imagine every rattle produces a check. I'm curious about the specifics like if there was any catch to accepting the money and if it was dealer issued or corporate as well as the extent of the issue and level of complaint.

Rickards 08-19-2014 09:02 PM

I'm currently looking at replacing my ILX with an Audi S3. My other considerations are:

Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD. Its price is very, very attractive for what you get. My biggest nitpick is the electronic shifter since I always keep my hand on the shifter while driving and very worried about the suspension after experiencing it my car in the winter. I couldn't imagine what I'd do with my right hand while driving, although I'm sure my girlfriend would love the extra hand-holding...

335i xDrive and to an extent, 435 GC xDrive, but next year the 3 series is entering its MMC and allegedly gets new engines (x28i/x35i --> x30i/x40i) amongst other things, so I'd wait to see what else cooking in that oven. Also in Canada, it gets pricey quick, which brought me to its younger brother...

M235i xDrive, but I'm still on the fence about driving a coupe. This car would be my only car, so I'd feel more confident with 4 doors, but its price falls under the bracket I'm willing to pay for, and you get a lot of performance for the money too. I'm still considering it, but I'm worried if the 3 series is getting new engines, that the entire lineup will get new engines as well.

..and that's about it. There isn't much out there these days that excite me other than the Germans and Acura to a lesser extent. I already tried the Q50 and the ATS last year, and while they were gorgeous cars, they weren't memorable. I'm anxious to test out the S3 as it ticks all the boxes I want in a car, but odds are if it doesn't pan out, I'm going to sit on the sidelines until something interesting comes around. A TLX-S with the 2.0T or even a TLX Sport Hybrid would have me giving a hard look at Acura (Hopefully there would be an option to replace the electronic shifter!).

weather 08-19-2014 09:06 PM

^^ I think the S3 is a GORGEOUS car but I still can't over the interior dash (on the portion over the passenger side) and those round vent thingy. I know its shallow but I'll be looking at that all the time I am driving and saying WHY?!? Exterior styling and size, they nailed it though!!

Glashub 08-19-2014 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec (Post 15127225)
Have to agree with some others, that's sounds too good to be true, however I'm not doubting it in the slightest, it's just the best way to describe it. I think I know why Lexus has such stellar dealership experiences and I think it's actually a corporate devised philosophy and/or structure but may be wrong and I'm sure not every dealer is the same.

Around here, not sure if they all do it but I know of one Lexus dealer that drops off a loaner and picks up your car on availability and then returns it. They are driven by well dressed and manured individuals. I think the techs or drive-in associates for when you bring it in put a thin flexible kind of encasing around the steering wheel and place paper floor mats and put latex gloves on. I'm sure it's reflected in the prices but it's a really nice touch. Good to see such care going into it, as it should be.

However, I can't imagine every rattle produces a check. I'm curious about the specifics like if there was any catch to accepting the money and if it was dealer issued or corporate as well as the extent of the issue and level of complaint.

No catch. I complained to corporate about how they should at least offer me a make good for the time spent at Longo Lexus and the 2 trips I made to there. I made a bit of noise about how valuable my time is. Not too much but firmly. They arrived at the $700 as an estimate of what a 1st months payment would be (I paid cash). I was blown away to tell you the truth. No reason for me to BS. Clearly I'm an Acura fan. Owned 3. Been on this forum a long time.

I think the take away here is that closed mouths don't get fed. Tons of people would rather complain on forums than to take their beef to corporate or to post their complaints on FB (very effective for troubled Q50 owners). FB and Twitter are good ways to embarrass a company into action for legitimate problems but most people won't do that because they can't remain anonymous.

My 2005 was a rattle trap. Santa Monica Acura fixed them all. Took multiple trips. If I'd been smarter back then I'd have complained to Acura corporate but it never occurred to me since SM Acura gave me loaners and great service. Not that Longo's didn't -- they're great but just saying I'm not as naïve as I was. Below is the response to my 1st email to Lexus corporate -

Response Via Email (REDACTED)07/09/2013 08:14 AM

Dear REDACTED,

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

We apologize for the concerns that you are experiencing with your 2014 IS 350. We would certainly like to look into this further for you, so we have forwarded your concern to a Case Manager who will perform a full review and will contact you by phone within five business days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

REDACTED
Lexus Customer Satisfaction

kurtatx 08-19-2014 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Glashub (Post 15127378)
No catch. I complained to corporate about how they should at least offer me a make good for the time spent at Longo Lexus. I made a bit of noise about how valuable my time is. Not too much but firmly. They arrived at the $700 as an estimate of what a 1st months payment would be (I paid cash). No reason for me to BS. Clearly I'm an Acura fan. Owned 3. Been on this forum a long time. Below is the response to my 1st email to Lexus corporate -

Response Via Email (REDACTED)07/09/2013 08:14 AM

Dear REDACTED,

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

We apologize for the concerns that you are experiencing with your 2014 IS 350. We would certainly like to look into this further for you, so we have forwarded your concern to a Case Manager who will perform a full review and will contact you by phone within five business days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

REDACTED
Lexus Customer Satisfaction

Audi USA was like that for me as well. Roger Beasley was worthless, but North America called me multiple times, but there was a clear disconnect.

When Audi South Austin opened, and it was still Roger Beasley, I realized my relationship with Audi would be short-lived. Too bad because their cars are gorgeous.

Colin 08-19-2014 10:41 PM

Acura recently did something similar for RLX buyers, I think when they did the suspension bolt recall. A customer of mine got a free tint job for her inconvenience.

Quandry 08-19-2014 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rickards (Post 15127315)
I'm currently looking at replacing my ILX with an Audi S3. My other considerations are:

Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD....

335i xDrive and to an extent, 435 GC xDrive...

M235i xDrive....

All these are are not really in the same category, and it seems your challenge is to prioritize your requirements balanced with your budget, and try to take the emotional part out of the equation.

I say this because I have been going through this challenge myself. The research can be enjoyable but also frustrating as it is unlikely that you will be able to find a car that meets your exact requirements. For example, having settled on the TLX I would have like and I4 with the Advanced (Elite) package in Copper Black with Expresso seats. It does not exist.

CollinR4 08-19-2014 11:31 PM

Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD. Its price is very, very attractive for what you get. My biggest nitpick is the electronic shifter since I always keep my hand on the shifter while driving and very worried about the suspension after experiencing it my car in the winter. I couldn't imagine what I'd do with my right hand while driving, although I'm sure my girlfriend would love the extra hand-holding...

335i xDrive and to an extent, 435 GC xDrive, but next year the 3 series is entering its MMC and allegedly gets new engines (x28i/x35i --> x30i/x40i) amongst other things, so I'd wait to see what else cooking in that oven. Also in Canada, it gets pricey quick, which brought me to its younger brother...

I was looking at the Audi S3 as well (huge fan) but the starting price of $41,100 I think is a little absurd considering you don't get a backup camera (another $1,400), the B&O sound system (another $850) and several other items which should be standard at this price. I don't know how much Audi dealerships are willing to negotiate. I think the A3 was great when I test drove it but at this price I don't think the S3 is a great value long term.

As for a 335XI the price starts at $45,500 and you already alluded to how those little boxes you have to check add up quickly. I certainly agree these are great cars but they both highlight that the TLX is a lot of car for the money (especially for you in Canada with heated rear seats, steering wheel, etc. I'm more than a little jealous of your options that we don't get here).

jjsC5 08-20-2014 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by weather (Post 15127321)
^^ I think the S3 is a GORGEOUS car but I still can't over the interior dash (on the portion over the passenger side) and those round vent thingy. I know its shallow but I'll be looking at that all the time I am driving and saying WHY?!? Exterior styling and size, they nailed it though!!

I agree completely. I'd buy a VW GTI before I would buy the Audi 3.

Rickards 08-20-2014 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by weather (Post 15127321)

The interior dash on the passenger side doesn't look as bad in person, but I can tell you it took me some time to get over it. Non-stock photos do it more justice since you see a few more details, but in the end, it does look like a slab of black. Since I do all the driving, I'm sure I won't look there as much, but I'll only know this when I test drive the car. I agree with the exterior and size being perfect, and every review I've read on the car glows about how tossable through corners the car is, and I really, really can't wait to try it! They just need to ship the S3s from the Port of Halifax to all of Canada before anyone can test drive it :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Quandry (Post 15127413)
All these are are not really in the same category, and it seems your challenge is to prioritize your requirements balanced with your budget, and try to take the emotional part out of the equation.

I say this because I have been going through this challenge myself. The research can be enjoyable but also frustrating as it is unlikely that you will be able to find a car that meets your exact requirements.

You're spot on - My requirements are firstly performance with AWD followed extremely closely by features. If money were no object, I'd probably be in soon the 435 GC xDrive as I find it's gorgeous, but out the door with taxes up here, and you're talking 70k+, so it's quickly off my list, sadly.

I was hoping the TLX SH-AWD would do the trick, but like I mentioned, the electronic shifter turns me off and reviews of the 9AT seem to indicate Acura is heading more with a smooth luxury feeling than sporty with the car. Then again, no one but the engineers has tried the SH-AWD variant, but nonetheless, I'm looking for a car with a sporty flair and I don't feel the V6 SH-AWD variant gives off that emotion to me.

In the end, I found in my research Audi strikes the perfect balance between Acura and BMW, where BMW will always be emotional and pricey, Acura the best deal for your money, and Audi a mixture of both.

Originally Posted by CollinR4 (Post 15127436)
I was looking at the Audi S3 as well (huge fan) but the starting price of $41,100 I think is a little absurd considering you don't get a backup camera (another $1,400), the B&O sound system (another $850) and several other items which should be standard at this price. I don't know how much Audi dealerships are willing to negotiate. I think the A3 was great when I test drove it but at this price I don't think the S3 is a great value long term.

As for a 335XI the price starts at $45,500 and you already alluded to how those little boxes you have to check add up quickly. I certainly agree these are great cars but they both highlight that the TLX is a lot of car for the money (especially for you in Canada with heated rear seats, steering wheel, etc. I'm more than a little jealous of your options that we don't get here).

The S3 Technik (Prestige for USA) starts around 47k, same with a loaded TLX up here, and I get a supplier discount with Audi ($500) whereas Acura doesn't give me one, so after ticking a couple boxes in the S3, it does come out a bit more than the TLX, but like I said, it ticks all the boxes I'm looking for in a car and now it's all about the test drive at this point.

The 335XI starts at 54k, so start adding the options and you're at 69k before taxes. I really wish we had USA pricing up here as it would make many cars more accessible!

Quandry 08-20-2014 06:51 AM

^^^ You will be able to negotiate a similar discount, if not better, with Acura, and that amount should not be the deal breaker. You may also want to consider maintenance cost down the road where Acura should come out ahead. But if the decision is close then go with what will emotionally make your day.

hddnav 08-20-2014 07:19 AM

Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD.

335i xDrive and to an extent, 435 GC xDrive

M235i xDrive

For the sake of discussion, let me borrow your shopping list as an example of how the target market is clearly different between the TLX and 4G TL SH-AWD.

When I bought my 2013 TL, on the higher-priced side, the cars I considered were the Lexus GS350 F-sport (luxury-tuned vanilla GS was of no interest) and BMW 5-series. About the same price as the TL was the Infiniti G37 sedan. Priced lower were the Honda Accord Touring and even the Camry Hybrid (yikes!!!). In this crowd, the 4G TL SH-AWD was a really strong bargain that offered a combination of attributes that I just couldn't pass up.

Honda Civic sized cars, such as the BMW 3-series, Lexus IS, and the TSX, were not even on my radar, primarily due to the desire for something safe and roomy enough for a growing family of four, not to mention the occasional business dinner.

This is not to suggest that the TLX is less safe or dramatically less roomy than the TL, but it is clearly marketed towards a younger crowd who is either single, a young couple, or a young couple with infants. I remember reading articles that the 4G was targeted towards buyers in the lower 40's age range. I wonder if the TLX targets buyers in their 20's and lower 30's.

I do believe the lower price tag and targeting younger buyers will drive up Acura sales, so this is probably not a bad strategy for Acura, especially since the ILX seems to have completely missed the target. However, much like how they've abandoned the 6MT market, they've also abandoned buyers who were looking for a more mature sports sedan (because there aren't enough of us).

internalaudit 08-20-2014 09:02 AM

^ Maybe Acura is building a 7 MT for you guys in the Type S? 7 is as high as goes, correct, to avoid driver confusion?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=7-spe...2F%3B640%3B426