For those cross shopping, don't sleep on the 2016 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016 | 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Get the Charger painted in the right color & it will look like all the State Trooper & County Sheriffs' cars here. Might let you skate on a speeding ticket if they think is an unmarked car.
Old 04-21-2016 | 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Get the Charger painted in the right color & it will look like all the State Trooper & County Sheriffs' cars here. Might let you skate on a speeding ticket if they think is an unmarked car.

...that is definitely an added bonus...considering that is fairly easy to speed with a Charger RT....
Old 04-22-2016 | 04:39 PM
Instructor

So I received a 2016 Maxima S as rental today while I am waiting for the airbag part to arrive for my TL. I got to agree with OP that this thing is fun to drive! Even though I have the lowest trim level in the lineup but I love the digital instrument gauge and all the gadgets that come as standard in this car. Size wise is really comparable to my TL. Quality wise, it's not quite there since my rental has cloth seats not the leather but I can imagine with the leather this interior would look absolutely beautiful! Driving dynamic wise, I definitely like it much more than the inline 4 TLX tech I had for a day last time. I don't mind the CVT they put in. In the sport mode it actually behaves very similar to the 6 speed in TL. Style wise, I kinda like it. Overall it is a pretty impressive car that is for sure! I know it wears a Nissan badge but I can see the quality is on par (with S trim) with TLX and potentially better than TLX (SV and upper trim).
The following users liked this post:
Monte TLS,MAX (04-28-2016)
Old 04-23-2016 | 09:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by saturno_v
...that is definitely an added bonus...considering that is fairly easy to speed with a Charger RT....
Agree, they even speed away when parked.
Old 04-23-2016 | 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Interesting....4G owners thinking the Maxima looks good.
The following 3 users liked this post by ggesq:
Flipster23 (04-29-2016), rockstar143 (05-17-2016), Stew4HD (05-16-2016)
Old 04-27-2016 | 07:10 PM
Instructor

I don't know. The more I drive it, the more I like the look of the car!! Two of my neighbors asked me what the car was while they were passing by my driveway and they also liked the look of the car!

Last edited by james21_h; 04-27-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2016 | 06:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ggesq
I actually don't mind Infiniti's design language but Nissan I'm in the minority here on AcuraZine but I think the new grill on the Accord and the redesigned Civic is
Count me in as well!The back of the accord (esp sport)is nice...the back of the civic not so much.And the front of both is horrible to my taste.What's up with the lexus predator mouth grill?Hideous...
Old 04-29-2016 | 12:39 PM
2nd Gear

It was a fun test drive, but that's about where it ended. Very happy with my I4 TLX Tech.
Old 04-29-2016 | 12:47 PM
Team Owner

The maxima C-pillars are absolutely retarded.
Old 04-30-2016 | 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by saturno_v
R&T just named the Dodge 485HP version one of its 10 best buys for power under $40K. Personally for a mostly street driven car think is a better deal than the 700HP+ version.
Old 05-01-2016 | 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
R&T just named the Dodge 485HP version one of its 10 best buys for power under $40K. Personally for a mostly street driven car think is a better deal than the 700HP+ version.

That does not surprise me at all....for less then 40K (39,995 MSRP to be exact for the RT Scat Pack) you get a fantastic and very modernized pushrod V8, a world class transmission, same interior space of a 7 Series, braking and lateral grip figures in BMW M5 territory (C&D test numbers) and acceleration not that far off as well, actually good fit and finish and 100K miles powertrain warranty....to top that off, an orgasm inducing exhaust sound....frankly you could not ask for more....40K gets you basically a bare bone 328i these days.....

Spend 10 extra grand for a SRT 392 and you get terrific eyeball-ejecting Brembo brakes, very nice premium leather seats, adjustable Bilstein suspension and meatier, grippier tires that improve acceleration numbers, lateral grip and braking even more.

For example, no other Japanese sport sedan can match, let alone exceed, these figures.....you need to head to Europe or around the corner in Detroit (Cadillac)

It is a better buy compared to a Chevrolet SS IMHO, the only other bargain supersedan.

FCA is basically almost giving cars away at these prices (not for lack of sales, they fly off the lot when dealers get these), it is the bargain of the decade when it comes to sport sedans.

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-01-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2016 | 11:03 AM
Advanced

A real sports sedan does not have a CVT.
Old 05-10-2016 | 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

or an automatic tranny
rockstar143 (05-17-2016)
Old 05-10-2016 | 11:20 AM
Team Owner

Why is this debate still happening? The maxima is ugly as fuck and should be buried in a concrete tomb, 600ft below ground.

I LIKE the new dodge fun cars, but I dunno... Spending that much on a dodge scares me, after the mostly shitty experiences my family and friends have had with theirs...

I've heard things are changing around over at Chrysler, but stigmas are hard to shake, and long term reliability is still unknown.
Old 05-10-2016 | 11:28 PM
Instructor

But they still sold 4500+ units in April!! Are you saying those buyers are blind!? And that's more sales than TLX. Most of the online reviewers compare Maxima to TLX!! Just search on youtube!
Old 05-11-2016 | 04:00 AM
Suzuka Master

^Most online reviewers do that comparison? Really? The TLX has really moved up then!
Old 05-11-2016 | 09:11 PM
Rae Ray

Originally Posted by ggesq
It's a mainstream car for Nissan, it is not a entry level luxury vehicle

Most maxima owners on maxima.org cross shopped it with the Accord and we all know the Accord sales numbers crush the Maxima.
This is true!. Not sure why maxima sales figures are compared in the luxury segment. If the maxima is compared to vehicle's in it's class we would not think the numbers are so great. I believe the Optima should have better sales figures than the maxima. Not sure but last i check the optima is a great main stream competitor especially in the 29k ish top trims. Heck i see Optima's all over the roads noanddays.

Last edited by Rae Rad; 05-11-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2016 | 10:20 PM
Intermediate

Funny, I just traded my 2015 SRT 392 6 speed Challenger for a TLX Tech AWD.
Stew4HD (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016 | 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rae Rad
This is true!. Not sure why maxima sales figures are compared in the luxury segment.
Maxima sales figures are not compared to the luxury segment but mainly to the "premium" or semi-luxury segment.

The Accord sales "crush" the Maxima because the Accord is not the Maxima main aim as someone suggested...the Nissan main competitor to the Accord is the Altima.

The Maxima starts at 33K which is the high end of the Accord price range.

Sure Maxima owners cross shop the high end Accords exactly like the TLX owners cross shop the high trim Accord as well.

Starting with the 5th generation, the Maxima targeted the Acura TL, Lexus ES and high trim VW Passat (the old "premium" Passat before the current, cheapened, generation)

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-12-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Monte TLS,MAX (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016 | 03:41 PM
Intermediate

This makes me all the more confident that I made the right choice with the 9 speed. This was very similar to my experience. The Maxima makes lots of noise and that's about it. I loved the interior, just hated the drive. I would say the ALTIMA SL V6 is the better way to go for less money if you really like the seats and the look of the NISSANS.

The Nissan Maxima Has Jumped The Shark
Old 05-16-2016 | 12:01 AM
Instructor

Alright, so after almost a month and 1200 miles with my Maxima S rental here are the few things I like and I dislike:
1) Great power train. Powerful engine and a great CVT transmission. I know most of people won't agree with me but I got to give Nissan a thumb up for their efforts making this CVT great. It is really responsive and always meets up with the engine's power band so you are getting most of the 300hp into work when you floor the gas paddle. I think it is a great combo!

2) Great seats. I think they are more comfortable than the ones in TLX. I would like to see they put more padding on the bolsters.

3) Love the steering wheel and it's weight when it is in "Sport" mode. Both TL and TLX have light steering.

4) Great gas millage. I am averaging 26 mpg with 28 average speed. Beats my TL by a mile!!

5) Upscale interior. Went to Nissan dealership check out the Platinum with leather. Man, that thing looked amazing with the diamond stitching and color stitching all over the car. Why can't TLX get that??

6) Very responsive touch screen!! Voice command works pretty well!

Dislikes:
1) Cheap plastic on the center console and vents. I wish they used a little more upscale black lacquer plastic. Both TL and TLX use higher quality plastic trims.

2) Bulking center console. It took out a lot of space and legroom!! Love the big screen but it is positioned too low to my taste. I much prefer the higher setup like the TL and TLX.

3) No AWD option. 300 horses on the front wheels... lots of slippage. I think the crappy OEM tires they put on didn't help neither.

Overall, it is a great car. Is it a 4DSC? Nah, so neither is TLX. People say Maxima is not 4DSC because of the CVT. I disagree. The CVT actually makes the car faster since it does not need to spend time shifting like the automatics. A true 4DSC would have a manual transmission like the TL.
If Acura can put in the amazing interior like the Maxima into TLX during next MMC... I may consider getting one!!!
I will have the Maxima for another week but I can't wait to get back to my 4G TL SHAWD!!!
silverTL6 (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016 | 09:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by james21_h
Alright, so after almost a month and 1200 miles with my Maxima S rental here are the few things I like and I dislike:
1) Great power train. Powerful engine and a great CVT transmission. I know most of people won't agree with me but I got to give Nissan a thumb up for their efforts making this CVT great. It is really responsive and always meets up with the engine's power band so you are getting most of the 300hp into work when you floor the gas paddle. I think it is a great combo!

2) Great seats. I think they are more comfortable than the ones in TLX. I would like to see they put more padding on the bolsters.

3) Love the steering wheel and it's weight when it is in "Sport" mode. Both TL and TLX have light steering.

4) Great gas millage. I am averaging 26 mpg with 28 average speed. Beats my TL by a mile!!

5) Upscale interior. Went to Nissan dealership check out the Platinum with leather. Man, that thing looked amazing with the diamond stitching and color stitching all over the car. Why can't TLX get that??

6) Very responsive touch screen!! Voice command works pretty well!

Dislikes:
1) Cheap plastic on the center console and vents. I wish they used a little more upscale black lacquer plastic. Both TL and TLX use higher quality plastic trims.

2) Bulking center console. It took out a lot of space and legroom!! Love the big screen but it is positioned too low to my taste. I much prefer the higher setup like the TL and TLX.

3) No AWD option. 300 horses on the front wheels... lots of slippage. I think the crappy OEM tires they put on didn't help neither.

Overall, it is a great car. Is it a 4DSC? Nah, so neither is TLX. People say Maxima is not 4DSC because of the CVT. I disagree. The CVT actually makes the car faster since it does not need to spend time shifting like the automatics. A true 4DSC would have a manual transmission like the TL.
If Acura can put in the amazing interior like the Maxima into TLX during next MMC... I may consider getting one!!!
I will have the Maxima for another week but I can't wait to get back to my 4G TL SHAWD!!!
Agreed on all points here. The Maxima has a great interior and rivals my 4G manual in speed. In handling, no way. It really does drive like a coupe though. Very sporty.
The tech on the car (navigation, stereo, interface) is better than anything Acura has put out. The actual sound of the stereo is lacking, but the interface is great. Overall a very solid car, I wouldn't take it over my TL, but I would definitely buy it over any of the TLX's.
People bitching about the CVT have not driven THIS CVT.
The CVT isnt any more or less sporty than any of the automatics in the TLX's.
It is a hell of a lot smoother than the TLX trannies though. None of these cars are sports cars really. But they are both fun n their own way.
Old 05-16-2016 | 12:18 PM
Intermediate

Being FWD only was a deal breaker for me on the MAXIMA. Don't care how it looks, how good the interior is, how great the transmission is, 300 HP with FWD is in no way performance based, WILL HAVE TORQUE STEER, will slip in the wet. NO THANKS! Move along.

If I was going FWD, I would take the V6 Altima over the Maxima any day and save a ton of money for the same exact performance.

The best CVT's in the business are the high torque units made by Subaru in their XT Forester and WRX. I am not impressed with the Nissan CVT as they are a known headache for years and years. All sorts of issues, problems, unreliability issues.

Of course a CVT is smooth, it never shifts.

Last edited by dboz; 05-16-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2016 | 01:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dboz
Being FWD only was a deal breaker for me on the MAXIMA. Don't care how it looks, how good the interior is, how great the transmission is, 300 HP with FWD is in no way performance based, WILL HAVE TORQUE STEER, will slip in the wet. NO THANKS! Move along.
Funny, the TL's (both 3rd and 4th Gen) were packing close to 300 HP for over a decade. IMO torque steer was minimal. Hold the steering wheel with some authority and you will never have a problem. As far as driving in the wet in the Maxima, hard to say. The stock tires, just like Acura's kind of blow. Long as you don't floor it like an idiot when your driving in the rain you wont spin out.
Old 05-16-2016 | 01:32 PM
Intermediate

Yep, never bought those FWD either. The tires are poor. No question. Never said I would have a problem with torque steer, but when you steer with the same wheels that lay down the power, the performance aspect sort of goes out the window. It can be done, just not as efficiently.

Just saying, for the same money, I got my SH-AWD and 9 speed. No comparo to a CVT with FWD. Sorry, that is IMO.

Point being, trying to make FWD cars equate to performance is a difficult task. FORD did a decent job with the FOCUS ST, the GTI is not half bad, but neither comes close to 300 HP.

Last edited by dboz; 05-16-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2016 | 02:03 PM
Instructor

I agree that the FWD Maxima is no comparison to SH-AWD TLX. But when you compare FWD Maxima to FWD TLX V-6, I would probably pick a fully loaded Maxima. The local dealer here is selling these Max with 10-12% off MSRP!! I think that is cheaper than FWD Advance TLX V-6 in my area. It is just my own opinion!!
Old 05-16-2016 | 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Agreed! FWD vs. FWD, much different comparison. I don't really buy FWD cars so never even considered it as an option.
Old 05-16-2016 | 03:36 PM
Drifting

Agreed! FWD vs. FWD, much different comparison. I don't really buy FWD cars so never even considered it as an option.
I hear you. I have a AWD TL sitting right now. No question it out handles the Maxima, but I would consider the Max a worthy competitor to the non-AWD TLX.
Old 05-16-2016 | 05:57 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

yea...if it's FWD, then I'd probably pick the Accord Touring over a TLX V6 FWD Advance and save $8k. I get that the TLX has bit more features, a much better sound system, a slightly better interior, and probably a nicer ride. And I'd pick the Accord over the Maxima too....
Old 05-16-2016 | 07:25 PM
10th Gear

I am not impressed with the Nissan CVT as they are a known headache for years and years. All sorts of issues, problems, unreliability issues.

Of course a CVT is smooth, it never shifts.
Slight correction. First generation (2003-2009) of Nissan CVTs definitely had more issues than usual. Nissan even extended the warranty to 10 year/100K. However, the second generation of CVTs has been rock solid. Obviously first impressions last forever so it'll take some time before people forget about the initial CVT issues.

On a side note, the latest Nissan Murano comes with a CVT that simulates 7 gears to appeal to folks who do not like the feel of CVT. I test drove one and I couldn't tell if I was driving a CVT. I don't know if they are offering the same in Maxima or other models.

And I agree with your point about torque steer. Any car with 250+HP that I've driven including TL and Maxima suffered from it, though not very noticeable.
Old 05-16-2016 | 07:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CanWat
Slight correction. First generation (2003-2009) of Nissan CVTs definitely had more issues than usual. Nissan even extended the warranty to 10 year/100K. However, the second generation of CVTs has been rock solid. Obviously first impressions last forever so it'll take some time before people forget about the initial CVT issues.

On a side note, the latest Nissan Murano comes with a CVT that simulates 7 gears to appeal to folks who do not like the feel of CVT. I test drove one and I couldn't tell if I was driving a CVT. I don't know if they are offering the same in Maxima or other models.

And I agree with your point about torque steer. Any car with 250+HP that I've driven including TL and Maxima suffered from it, though not very noticeable.
Funny people talk about the CVT's and all the problems Nissan may have had with them and assume they never ever improved.
Kind of short sighted IMO. After all, Honda/Acura has had massive recalls of almost all of their cars for bad trannies. Not to mention their current takata airbag recall, which is going to cost them almost 3 BILLION dollars to fix, maybe more.
I wouldn't get on a high horse about how great and well built they are. They are in a freefall right now as a result of some of the poor decisions they have made building their cars. And I am a lifetime Honda/Acura guy, but they really, REALLY have a series of colossal F-ups on their hands.
Old 05-16-2016 | 07:54 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Originally Posted by SilverJ
Agreed on all points here. The Maxima has a great interior and rivals my 4G manual in speed. In handling, no way. It really does drive like a coupe though. Very sporty.
The tech on the car (navigation, stereo, interface) is better than anything Acura has put out. The actual sound of the stereo is lacking, but the interface is great. Overall a very solid car, I wouldn't take it over my TL, but I would definitely buy it over any of the TLX's.
People bitching about the CVT have not driven THIS CVT.
The CVT isnt any more or less sporty than any of the automatics in the TLX's.
It is a hell of a lot smoother than the TLX trannies though. None of these cars are sports cars really. But they are both fun n their own way.
My TLX transmission never jerks or has abrupt shifts at all. It's smooth as butter and you can't even tell it's shifting. I do have a 2016 though.

I didn't like the interior on the Maxima after having spent some time in it. I felt there was too much going on design wise. One thing they did do well was the stitching. I think Acura needs to do some of that on the dashboard instead of using injection molding. Although the injection molded stuff never rattles, lol - maybe they should cover it with fake leather like is done in the Maxima. That's really the only interior thing I liked better about the Maxima, was the dash covering and the door cards. I found the seat bolsters overly aggressive especially in the shoulder area (I have wide shoulders).
Old 05-16-2016 | 07:56 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Originally Posted by james21_h
I agree that the FWD Maxima is no comparison to SH-AWD TLX. But when you compare FWD Maxima to FWD TLX V-6, I would probably pick a fully loaded Maxima. The local dealer here is selling these Max with 10-12% off MSRP!! I think that is cheaper than FWD Advance TLX V-6 in my area. It is just my own opinion!!
I think Acura is going to do in the US what they've done in Canada, and axe the FWD V6 entirely. That was a smart move here. It just doesn't belong in their lineup. The dealer said they only sold 4 of them in 2015, lol. And the SH-AWD and the I4's were both moving quite fast.
Old 05-16-2016 | 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Owners of new Maxima's have also reported issues/replacements with their CVT's so they are not out of the woods yet.
Old 05-16-2016 | 10:52 PM
Racer

Funny people talk about the CVT's and all the problems Nissan may have had with them and assume they never ever improved.
Kind of short sighted IMO. After all, Honda/Acura has had massive recalls of almost all of their cars for bad trannies. Not to mention their current takata airbag recall, which is going to cost them almost 3 BILLION dollars to fix, maybe more.
I wouldn't get on a high horse about how great and well built they are. They are in a freefall right now as a result of some of the poor decisions they have made building their cars. And I am a lifetime Honda/Acura guy, but they really, REALLY have a series of colossal F-ups on their hands.
Are you saying that Honda is supposed to pay for the Takata recall? Inquiring minds.
Old 05-17-2016 | 06:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
Are you saying that Honda is supposed to pay for the Takata recall? Inquiring minds.
Also, SilverJ says that Honda/Acura "have had massive recalls on almost all of their cars for bad trannies" which is complete a huge exaggeration.. IJS
Old 05-17-2016 | 06:58 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

I was impressed the first time I saw a Maxima, but probably only because it was something new. I find myself having to wait for any of those to pass so I can get a look at the rear end to see if it's a Maxima or Altima. I guess if I was into them more, I'd know the nuances that distinguish one from the other. But alas, I'm a Honda guy.
Old 05-17-2016 | 07:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Also, SilverJ says that Honda/Acura "have had massive recalls on almost all of their cars for bad trannies" which is complete a huge exaggeration.. IJS
Yes it was only the Accord, CL, TL, MDX and Odysseys that had trans issues. Good point, I don't think the NSX was affected so it was a huggggeee exaggeration on my part.
Old 05-17-2016 | 07:39 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
They have 2.4 billion put aside to pay for it. They are paying for all the repairs, and for all customers to be in rental cars which is about 1000-1400 per month.
This affects almost every Honda/Acura vehicle depending on model year. Nothing on the TLX so far. But they have delayed releasing which airbags are in which cars before. Plus they have not advised on the other airbags in the car (side and passenger side) yet. So in short. Huge mess.

Honda cars that they have said are affected so far:

Acura:

2003 Acura CL
2013-2016 Acura ILX
2013-2014 Acura ILX hybrid
2003-2006 Acura MDX
2007-2016 Acura RDX
2005-2012 Acura RL
2002-2003 Acura 3.2 TL
2009-2014 Acura TL
2010-2013 Acura ZDX

Honda:

2001-2007 Honda Accord - Driver’s side airbag
2003-2007 Honda Accord - Passenger side airbag
2001-2005 Honda Civic - Driver’s & passenger side airbag
2002-2011 Honda CR-V - Driver’s side airbag
2011-2015 Honda CR-Z
2003-2011 Honda Element - Driver’s side airbag
2010-2014 Honda FCX Clarity
2009-2013 Honda Fit
2013-2014 Honda Fit EV
2010-2014 Honda Insight
2002-2004 Honda Odyssey - Driver’s side airbag
2003-2008 Honda Pilot - Driver’s side airbag
2006-2014 Honda Ridgeline - Driver’s side airbag

Report: Takata?s Troubles Grow as Airbag Inflator Recalls Expand - Motor Trend
Old 05-17-2016 | 08:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes it was only the Accord, CL, TL, MDX and Odysseys that had trans issues. Good point, I don't think the NSX was affected so it was a huggggeee exaggeration on my part.
Neither my 3G, 4G or TLX had a recall but hey, it's your story so tell it how you want