Rumor Has It... (Acura's future plans/roadmap)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I suspect that even if they could reuse the old 6 speed manual transmission, the real cost is EPA certification and keeping parts in the channel for X number of years after the vehicle goes out of production.

On the second point, I think the evidence points exactly 180°. By making the current product more luxury focused they have "cleared the decks" for a sportier line. Conservative wheel and tire choices, detuned RLX engine, hidden exhausts and the subtle hints that they could do a performance variant make me believe it could be in the cards.
how does the refreshed ILX fit in? if it's looks have become more aggressive but same drive trains?
I suspect they'll do the same for the rest of the lineup in the name of uniformity.
all MMC's will be aggressive but no type-s
Old 09-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
how does the refreshed ILX fit in? if it's looks have become more aggressive but same drive trains?
They've been saying for a year and a half that the ILX will get improvements to the drivetrain.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (09-22-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 06:46 PM

true sport DCT with high revving k24 turbo
Old 09-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
On the second point, I think the evidence points exactly 180°. By making the current product more luxury focused they have "cleared the decks" for a sportier line. Conservative wheel and tire choices, detuned RLX engine, hidden exhausts and the subtle hints that they could do a performance variant make me believe it could be in the cards.
I hope so, I would love a Type-S TLX and think they could easily do a Type-S ILX as well.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL, I didn't think that K24 and high-revving went in the same sentence. Seriously, I doubt we'd see anything that isn't ALREADY in the inventory (rumored turbos less than 10% chance IMO).
Old 09-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
I suspect that even if they could reuse the old 6 speed manual transmission, the real cost is EPA certification and keeping parts in the channel for X number of years after the vehicle goes out of production.

I don't understand why this would be a big problem. Honda offers a 6MT on the 2.4 motor in the Accord EX and Sport sedans. It offers a 6MT mated to the 3.5 V6 in the Accord coupe. I'm certain there are some mods necessary to put these in Acuras, but come on, it's the same basic motor/transmission combo.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 PM

LOL, I didn't think that K24 and high-revving went in the same sentence. Seriously, I doubt we'd see anything that isn't ALREADY in the inventory (rumored turbos less than 10% chance IMO).
this I already know.
Acura's history will repeat forever and ever and ever and ever.

thus no type-s.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why all the fuss with a TLX Type-S. In classic Honda fashion it will get a 8 HP increase
stiffer suspension and some decals.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by CARLOS10
Why all the fuss with a TLX Type-S. In classic Honda fashion it will get a 8 HP increase
stiffer suspension and some decals.
except, current honda fashion doesnt do anything. except for SE versions.

no increase in power no suspension difference, but red stitching!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:43 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Drei
What about the fact that Acura sells the RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD?
While the RLX Hybrid is indeed a more impressive car than it seems superficially, calling is "Sport" is pretty much a stretch.

The word "hybrid" has that "Prius" image of being slow and underpowered. So this is just marketing to help give it a different image. Whereas as the priority in the engine/powertrain of mainstream cars, like the Prius, is predominantly efficiency, this engine/powertrain is trying to balance the best efficiency but also performance. An approach used by many of the luxury brands out there.

It's got an edge on a regular RLX with more hp because of combined powerplants and the advantage of handling with SH-AWD but I don't really think there is anything S-line about it.

But there is no denying the car is a technological masterpiece. They should have called this the RLX "Tech" instead of "Sport" lol. This is the flavor the RLX should have come in the first place.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 09-23-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
a sports hybrid system doesn't equate a type-s.
the 4G TL received SHAWD but no type-s.
the TSX only got an SE version.
and the ILX....
Acura also developed a GT TSX and a GT 4G TL.......
those did not get turned into type-s models.
and why hold it back for 4 years?
Acura is on a 5 year model change interval.

if you predict 4 years, they're already working on a new model line up...
I shouldn't have said 3-4 years, rather sometime in the near future

And yes, the 4G TL received SH-AWD AND a 3.7 305HP engine, no Type-S but still more powerful + better handling than the base 3.5 280HP option

I believe we saw the V6 option added to the TSX due to the research and development of the GT TSX...then the SE trim, again, no Type-S but still worth noting Acura attempted something "sporty"

And I can't seem to find anything about a 4G GT TL...
Old 09-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Drei
I shouldn't have said 3-4 years, rather sometime in the near future

And yes, the 4G TL received SH-AWD AND a 3.7 305HP engine, no Type-S but still more powerful + better handling than the base 3.5 280HP option

I believe we saw the V6 option added to the TSX due to the research and development of the GT TSX...then the SE trim, again, no Type-S but still worth noting Acura attempted something "sporty"

And I can't seem to find anything about a 4G GT TL...
I would not call decals and a meh.. at best bodykit making the car sporty
Old 09-24-2014, 08:14 AM

red stitching makes a car sporty!?

Special Edition, alright.....
Old 09-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
I mostly agree with this. The only "new" thing from what I can tell is the idea that Acura is going to change the corporate look (the shield/power plenum/beak).

And nobody seems to know anything about what is going to happen with the RLX.
Originally Posted by holografique
That's what I really want to know....
Nothing was really said about the RLX (as far as discontinuing the model or a successor) other than they have stopped production for the 2014/15 model to focus on the Sport Hybrid, and possible refresh end of next year.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MardiGras
It's Top Secret! Besides you, only the NSA and CIA know.
Originally Posted by blacktsxwagon
AKA I am making this all up for attention and my source is the 19 year old who sold me my TLX
Originally Posted by silverTL6
You can still tell us if it was a H/A employee or a dealership, and that would "only" narrow it down to ~200,000 possible suspects. Nothing to worry about, I would say

Otherwise, no source = no credibility. Certainly appreciate the gesture though
Hey, I understand. Trust me, if you look at my post history, there would be no reason for me to post for attention. It's not like I'm making up something that's far fetched (i.e. a 2 seat convertible roadster with a V8 that'll take on the F-Type R?) Although that would be crazy if Acura had that planned!)
But I honestly thought I would share this info and would think its a good topic to discuss as I don't gain anything by making this up.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Instructor

The TLX will run his lifespan with the same HP , same Wheels , same colors etc. That why
after 1 years the sales decline and people lost interest.
Next year will be the return of Honda to Formula 1. Why not run a limited edition to celebrate the event. Why not a limited Ayrton Senna edition ?.
A white color edition or black with red carpet , red recaros , momo , red valve cover , C/F intake,gum metal rims , some red logos . Alocate two car per dealer , and you will have a winner. Then a Mugen edition or a Indy Edition , the idea is to keep the model fresh and young.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CARLOS10
The TLX will run his lifespan with the same HP , same Wheels , same colors etc. That why
after 1 years the sales decline and people lost interest.
Next year will be the return of Honda to Formula 1. Why not run a limited edition to celebrate the event. Why not a limited Ayrton Senna edition ?.
A white color edition or black with red carpet , red recaros , momo , red valve cover , C/F intake,gum metal rims , some red logos . Alocate two car per dealer , and you will have a winner. Then a Mugen edition or a Indy Edition , the idea is to keep the model fresh and young.
Agreed, limited Edition would be nice
Old 09-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I don't understand why this would be a big problem. Honda offers a 6MT on the 2.4 motor in the Accord EX and Sport sedans. It offers a 6MT mated to the 3.5 V6 in the Accord coupe. I'm certain there are some mods necessary to put these in Acuras, but come on, it's the same basic motor/transmission combo.
They are not going to invest $ in something that does not sell in numbers high enough to make back the required corporate ROE.

Right now the DCT & 9AT are getting the money. If a solid demand, very doubtful based on the 4G were to develop an investment would be made to certify the 6MT in the car.

IMHO the 4G bombing out the gate with the AT from a performance point of view pushed the integration of the 6MT. Also expect they were disappointed with take rate.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm certain there are some mods necessary to put these in Acuras, but come on, it's the same basic motor/transmission combo.
Unless my understanding of how this works is wrong (someone who knows please chime in), EVERY unique motor/transmission combination must be emissions and fuel economy certified with the EPA. In this way, something close but different is ... well... different and will require certification again. This is the return on investment bear was talking about. Its easier to get a return at FMC time vs MMC and why new powertrains are usually added at the start.

Last edited by Colin; 09-27-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Unless my understanding of how this works is wrong (someone who knows please chime in), EVERY unique motor/transmission combination must be emissions and fuel economy certified with the EPA. In this way, something close but different is ... well... different and will require certification again. This is the return on investment bear was talking about. Its easier to get a return at FMC time vs MMC and why new powertrains are usually added at the start.

I understand your point (and I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole), but the 3.5/6MT combo is being used now in the Accord coupe. And the 2.4/6MT combo is likewise in the Accord. Is it that much trouble/expense to get slight variants certified (i.e., the 2.4 TLX motor has slightly different tuning)? I understand Honda can spread these costs over more units than Acura would, but I'll bet enthusiasts who really wanted a 6MT would be willing to pay a bit more (rather than less - as in the case of our Accord) than an auto to get a stick in a sporty Acura. Just my .02 of course, and I'd guess Acura has done the market research to figure that out. MMC let's hope!
Old 09-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
...but I'll bet enthusiasts who really wanted a 6MT would be willing to pay a bit more (rather than less - as in the case of our Accord) than an auto to get a stick in a sporty Acura. Just my .02 of course, and I'd guess Acura has done the market research to figure that out. MMC let's hope!
They did the research with the 4G by making 6MT require tech package, a higher margin variant, to help pay for costs of additional development while helping the MT customer feel they at least got more content along with their MT. Apparently, they've come to the conclusion Honda product sedan MT buyers prefer a less than EX level fwd 4 cyl Accord rather than a fully contented SH-AWD TLX.

On the more optimistic side, the fact they only offer the V6 MT in the Accord coupe still gives me hope the SH-AWD TLX will get an MT. Honda has a pattern of offering less than they could in the Honda product out of fear of diluting Acura sales.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:55 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ShiftinAt8600
Hey, I understand. Trust me, if you look at my post history, there would be no reason for me to post for attention. It's not like I'm making up something that's far fetched (i.e. a 2 seat convertible roadster with a V8 that'll take on the F-Type R?) Although that would be crazy if Acura had that planned!)
But I honestly thought I would share this info and would think its a good topic to discuss as I don't gain anything by making this up.
I for one didn't assume you were doing it for attention...rather, just hoping these "rumors" were grounded (e.g. the person you spoke to works for AHM or one of their suppliers, not some dealer). No offense to dealers, but most of them simply know less or as much as the average Joe for changes that far out. Closer to product reveals, they do attend Acura-hosted dealer meetings that confirm many rumors, but info from those usually get leaked right away (on vtec.net or dealer personnel here on AZ).

You said it yourself..."I was told this recently, and with rumors as always, should be taken with a grain of salt", so if your source is trustworthy enough (again, works for AHM or a supplier), there's no reason we should be taking them with a grain of salt
Old 10-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
+1
Old 10-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Instructor

The only rumor that have music to my ears is MORE HORSEPOWER 340-350-370.