Reasons to NOT buy a TLX

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Reasons to NOT buy a TLX

Reason to NOT buy the TLX.

The TLX is a great car, but it has issues.

I hate the HFL (phone interface).
The HFL does not work with three phones that I've tried, and Acura do not stand behind their product.

The navigation system sucks.
You cannot enter an address while driving - I can do this in my older TL and my Honda's.
Their "concierge" service are very helpful, in the "I don't know how to use google to find the address you're looking for" kind of way. I've called them several times to find a business address, and they tell me there is no such listing. I then pull over and look it up on my phone (goolge maps) in about 5 seconds.

The new gear-lever is stupid.
Okay, personal preference here.
With a stick, when I shift from reverse to drive, I know by feel that it has worked.
If you press the wrong button on the transmission, there is no way to tell until you press on the gas...

So many of the screens are cumbersom to navigate.
It's like the designers of these cars are still using blackberry phones, and have never used modern phone to understand intuitive user interfaces.
(Sorry blackberry - much love!)

They cheaped out everywhere on the interior.
The seat-backs are cheap vinyl, not the durable plastic (with hinged pull-out pockets) that they once were.
The rear seat room in minimal.
They did away with rear storage in the doors.
They are too cheap to include a spare tire.

LASTLY.
WHEN I HAD A COMPLAINT ABOUT A TECHNICAL ISSUE, THEY REFUSED TO FIX IT.
They burried their head in the sand, and even though it did not work in the way the manual said it would, they insisted that the system was working as designed.

I do like the car.
I like the styling, and way it drives.
I do not like the electronics.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
"The HFL does not work with three phones that I've tried, and Acura do not stand behind their product."

You neglect to mention that it works perfectly well for others with these same phones. Maybe not a generic issue?

"You cannot enter an address while driving"

Blame the Feds for this--safety feature. Also never had any issues with the "concierge" service.

"Okay, personal preference here."

You bet. To me the push button is wonderful. But then I do not have a negative bias to start with.

"So many of the screens are cumbersom[sic] to navigate."

Not meant for Ludites

"WHEN I HAD A COMPLAINT ABOUT A TECHNICAL ISSUE, THEY REFUSED TO FIX IT."

Shouldn't happen, but people tend to be human. I am sure that if you presented the attitude you show here when talking to them you did not encourage them to see your point of view.
The following 7 users liked this post by sbillard:
2011TL (08-13-2015), a35tl (08-13-2015), Hoosier_TLX (08-13-2015), ltommylel (08-13-2015), mani (08-14-2015), Quandry (08-13-2015), tlxsteve (08-13-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Well, I found enough reasons to buy and actually like the car. I hope you find another car you like.
The following 6 users liked this post by advan031:
a35tl (08-13-2015), BlueAquarian (09-04-2015), Hoosier_TLX (08-19-2015), nore03 (08-16-2015), Warrior 6 (08-14-2015), youngTL (08-14-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Eli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You guys are way too defensive, I think most of the OP's criticisms are pretty fair and good to know if you're coming from a 4G (like me). I didn't realize there was so much cost cutting in the interior.

Also, Tesla is the only automaker I've seen who "gets it" as far as infotainment stuff goes. Honda (and most other automakers), deserve plenty of criticism for the way they implement the interfaces. They're a far cry from what you'd expect on a smartphone or tablet these days.

Last edited by Eli; 08-13-2015 at 06:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eli:
boe_d (08-14-2015), hadokenuh (08-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
When it's not within your budget....
Old 08-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
What cost cutting are you talking about?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Is this a real post? I don't think I have ever seen any other site bash their own cars as much as it happens on this site.... smh!
The following 4 users liked this post by nore03:
BlueAquarian (09-04-2015), mapleloaf (08-14-2015), Stew4HD (08-14-2015), Warrior 6 (08-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 09:49 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Saturno_V.............. where are you? These are the threads you live for based on what I've noticed.

If the OP is unhappy with the quality and functionality of the car then it's well within his right as the owner to fell that way.

I wouldn't agree with several of his comments, but that's just because I don't feel that way. I do have some minor issues with the car, but nothing that I didn't know as I was researching it and NO car within this price range will have EVERYTHING we want and work perfectly for EVERYONE. It's always a give and take thing and that's just the way it is these days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hoosier_TLX:
a35tl (08-13-2015), ostrich (08-16-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
I agree with you on the cheap materials used in the TLX

Material wise

3G TL > 4G TL > TLX
Old 08-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Drei
I agree with you on the cheap materials used in the TLX

Material wise

3G TL > 4G TL > TLX
The Milano leather on the TLX is nicer than the seats in my 3G after sitting in both back-to-back. The only place I felt wasn't great was the upper part of the door interior, between the armrest and the window glass.

The 3G has a lot of hard plastics if you look for them. I would know, I drive one every day. Top of the dash in front of driver (TLX is rubberized/softer), centre stack, cupholder area, glove box, seat backs.

The TLX doesn't have rear door pockets though, but it has a better designed centre console that fits more stuff. I wish it slid forward like the 3G's does though.

The 4G probably wins on materials over both though. Except the fuel economy is horrendous and in my opinion so is the styling (exterior) or I would have bought one.

Last edited by youngTL; 08-14-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:51 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sbillard

"You cannot enter an address while driving"

Blame the Feds for this--safety feature. Also never had any issues with the "concierge" service.
Can you clarify? Did the USDOT or NHTSA pass a rule that requires these nanny features? Or is that the vehicle manufacturers are scared of lawsuits?
Old 08-14-2015, 01:36 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by kixo
Can you clarify? Did the USDOT or NHTSA pass a rule that requires these nanny features? Or is that the vehicle manufacturers are scared of lawsuits?
NHTSA guideline (based upon those drafted by the automakers' industry association, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers)

U.S. State and Federal Laws Targeting Distracted Driving

In April 2013, NHTSA issued its first phase of voluntary distracted driving guidelines which were narrowly focused to encourage automobile manufacturers to limit the distraction risk connected to electronic devices built into their vehicles, such as communications, entertainment and navigation devices. The second phase will include visual-manual interfaces of portable and aftermarket devices, and the third phase will add auditory-vocal interfaces [NHTSA, 2013]. However, these voluntary guidelines do not have the “full weight” of a law and can be ignored by the industry. Clearly, there are additional countermeasures to address distracted driving related to electronic devices that can be taken by the Administration including regulating the use of current and emerging in-vehicle and portable technologies.

It's also something Honda has been doing since 2012

Feds limit driver distractions in cars

Feds limit driver distractions in cars

Federal regulators issued guidelines Tuesday aimed at making it tougher for drivers to become distracted by the navigation or infotainment systems in new cars.

The guidelines issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are voluntary, although widespread adoption is likely. Car companies are urged to restrict any system that lets drivers push buttons or otherwise manually input addresses or other data while the car is moving. Voice-activated systems are preferred.

NHTSA says the guidelines try to ensure that drivers won't take their eyes off the road for more than two seconds at a time. Besides those quick glances, they say no task should take more than 12 seconds total.

The guidelines are based upon those drafted by the automakers' industry association, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. "NHTSA and automakers share the same goal: drivers need to keep their eyes on the road, hands on the wheel and connect their mobile phones to the built-in car systems," the alliance said in a statement.

Honda says it hasn't allowed drivers to type addresses into navigation systems in moving vehicles since 2012. But some automakers still do. BMW encourages voice activation and doesn't allow video displays while a car is moving, but does allow manual inputs.
The following users liked this post:
kixo (08-15-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 02:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I really don't get the exaggerated (IMHO) comments posted here, particularly regarding cheap materials. The leather is as nice or nicer than the leather in the TL Elite, the woodgrain and aluminum type accents look good and are durable, the technology is better. It takes 20 - 30 seconds or less to enter the address, and I have often done it when stopped at a light. THe one step voice that is available in US cars would be great but c'est la vie. The Acura Concierge service has always been fast and efficient for my needs. The rear seat room is more than adequate for two adults and compares more than favourably with other cars in the class.

The Navigation system provides very clear visual and oral directions and includes a very handy display in front of the driver to minimize distracted driving. Are there prettier systems…absolutely, but it does what it's supposed to do, so again, I don't get the "sucks" comment.

Is the car perfect….no….nothing below a 100k is. Is this car a great value for it's price…absolutely. Is everything the best in it's class, NO…but if it was, it wouldn't cost what it does. There are certain folks that have a hard time dealing with shades of grey and tend to categorize things in two categories…those that suck and those that don't. I believe the same type of thinking is pervasive in other walks of life, but regardless, I get frustrated with exaggeration and over simplification.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I do question when hyperbole seems to stretch credibility.

Last edited by mapleloaf; 08-14-2015 at 02:34 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
1Louder (08-20-2015), Hoosier_TLX (08-19-2015), ostrich (08-16-2015), Quandry (08-14-2015), Stew4HD (08-14-2015), Treblig (08-17-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-14-2015, 05:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Personally, I disagree with all of the "reasons" mentioned here.

The only issue I have with the TLX is the funky shifting issues that only effect me intermittently. 99% of the time, I love this car!

This is one of those types of posts Quandry had mentioned. Why is necessary to write a thread like this?

I guess I need to go to Infiniti Q50 forums and tell them why I didn't like that car, same for 3 Series and MB, just to cover the bases.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Personally, I disagree with all of the "reasons" mentioned here.

The only issue I have with the TLX is the funky shifting issues that only effect me intermittently. 99% of the time, I love this car!

This is one of those types of posts Quandry had mentioned. Why is necessary to write a thread like this?

I guess I need to go to Infiniti Q50 forums and tell them why I didn't like that car, same for 3 Series and MB, just to cover the bases.
Slightly OT, but what didnt you like about the Q? (take it to PM if you like)
Old 08-14-2015, 10:24 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts

You make it seem like the OP just joined to make this post. OP's been a member here since Nov 2003.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
Saturno_V.............. where are you? These are the threads you live for based on what I've noticed.
Everything I had to say about the TLX is already out...no need to repeat. By now there is a generalized consensus that the TLX is a downgrade from the 4G and it is not that exciting.

By the way, did you guys read the C&D review about the ILX?? Pretty harsh, Acura is really adrift when it comes to non SUV/Crossovers.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
^^^^
This guy...........lol!! So predictable.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by a32tl
^^^^
This guy...........lol!! So predictable.

Someone actually asked my comment....did you read the thread??
Old 08-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AZuser
You make it seem like the OP just joined to make this post. OP's been a member here since Nov 2003.
You make your own assumptions.. no shock here
Old 08-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
You make your own assumptions.. no shock here
dafuq you talkin bout?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:29 AM
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In my TLX there's a big 'D' in the MID when the transmission is on Drive. 'R' for reverse and so on.... I don't need to look to the gear shifter or, heaven forbid, press on the gas without knowing what gear the car is in. Also, the 'D' button is a different shape and is oriented differently from the others as is the 'R'. I'm sure all 9ATs are the same. But as was mentioned before, we are all entitled to our own opinion and preference. Admittedly, my hand sometimes ends up in the cup holder when I try to shift from reverse into drive, but it's not bothersome.

I did love the shifter on my 2012 TL, though. Always felt like a baseball to me.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Everything I had to say about the TLX is already out...no need to repeat. By now there is a generalized consensus that the TLX is a downgrade from the 4G and it is not that exciting.

By the way, did you guys read the C&D review about the ILX?? Pretty harsh, Acura is really adrift when it comes to non SUV/Crossovers.
There are also lots of positive reviews about the new ILX. You might also find the article in the link below interesting about C & D's long standing bias towards all things German.

https://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/200...pisses-me-off/
Old 08-15-2015, 04:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by chris03tl
Slightly OT, but what didnt you like about the Q? (take it to PM if you like)
First, the looks. I can't help but see the Ultima every time I see a Q50.

I didn't like the way it handles, like a boat. Come hard into a corner and the car didn't feel like it was going to stop or turn.

The interior layout felt cramped as well. I test drove a couple of them. I wanted to like the Q50S but I kept going back to the TLX.

IMO, the Q50 is trying way too hard to be a Lexus and not making it.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
If it was not for "difference of opinions" threads this forum would be dead.

Differences are very good for people who have not bought the car but are looking to do so to see both sides of potential ownership.

Expect there will be a bit of traffic with the release of the new Accord. As for the TLX nothing to be afraid of, if the person truly likes the car they will buy it.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I have yet to pull the trigger on the TLX, its a nice car and all but I have not seen a TLX that make me wish I was out of my 2013 4G SH-AWD. In addition, I was behind a TLX and a Audi and for some reason, the TLX looked unfinished from the rear. Could it be the pipes? How many luxury makers are hiding the pipes? I'm confused, they were going for a green look but advertise "thrill". In my opinion, the prototype was awesome and provided hope for those that hated the 4g, they then watered it down to a lexus ES300, the older ones!
Old 08-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

^ MB and Lexus are hiding the pipes.. the GS350 and LS460 have openings but no exposed tips
Old 08-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
^ MB and Lexus are hiding the pipes.. the GS350 and LS460 have openings but no exposed tips
But they don't have an A on their grille, so obviously they aren't failures.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
But they don't have an A on their grille, so obviously they aren't failures.
I should have realized that! I am such a slow learner!
Old 08-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

But the to be released Acura brand HALO 2016 NSX does have exhaust finishers, four of them in fact despite being a partial electric. Looks a lot like the 4 on the StingRay

Unless they are battery vents, NAH

Not sure what MB you are referring to but the new release top of the line S-600 Maybach starting at $189,000 like the NSX also has 4 of them.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-15-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
In addition, I was behind a TLX and a Audi and for some reason, the TLX looked unfinished from the rear. Could it be the pipes? How many luxury makers are hiding the pipes? I'm confused, they were going for a green look but advertise "thrill".
The obsession with pipes is way overblown. People have to decide if they want a sports car where you hear the revs or a quiet luxury ride. Acura designed the latter for the TLX, and I would say it has nothing to do with being green. It is just practical for this car as pipes with no noise is just a "wanna be" look.

If you want pipes with the sound and look go get an Audi R8 Coupe.
The following 3 users liked this post by Quandry:
ConradValmont (08-15-2015), Hoosier_TLX (08-19-2015), mapleloaf (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have two finishers on my 2014 Altima. Prefer the look of my TLX without. I would not mind having the aggressive vents of the TL, but either way the car looks good. It's just not that important, especially with the attractive rear bottom lights and chrome. JMHO.
The following users liked this post:
Hoosier_TLX (08-19-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Completely OT, but have you guys seen the updated front for the 2016 gs350? Looks like a camry... fugly as hell.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Not to beat the point to death but the exhaust tips have nothing to do with sound & are typically called "finishers" for a reason. They are a styling feature most like some don't but nothing more than that.

Personally I like the look as they add texture to what otherwise can be a big flat piece of plastic. Also don't personally care for raw pipe ends.

No right or wrong way just different things for different tastes.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
^^The rear end of the TLX has been nicely finished and does not need additional texture. But that is my opinion only. I just prefer the clean look, so no air ram scoops on the hood, complex sharp edges on the front end, or spindle grill (had to throw that one in).
Old 08-16-2015, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Having had my TLX SH-AWD for 10 months now, I just love it. It's an UPGRADE from my 4G TL SH-AWD and I love the more refined suspension, the incredibly low noise level inside the cabin, and also the fuel economy! The shifter thing is really nothing - it took me a few days and I got used to it and it is not an issue at all. I guess I learn fast. Of course, it is not a perfect car. I agree that the navigation interface could be much more responsive and intuitive. I agree that the slight hesitation with the transmission from stationary to acceleration is a bit annoying. However, when I looked at the Lexus IS and GS, A4, C class, 3 series, and Q50, they all had something that irritated me in one way or another. So it's just a matter what the priorities are. To me, the things that irritate me about the TLX are not as important as those that I enjoy. So overall, I just love my car and would recommend it to anyone. Just my opinions! :-)
The following 4 users liked this post by ostrich:
a35tl (08-16-2015), BlueAquarian (09-04-2015), Hoosier_TLX (08-19-2015), weather (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ostrich
Having had my TLX SH-AWD for 10 months now, I just love it. It's an UPGRADE from my 4G TL SH-AWD and I love the more refined suspension, the incredibly low noise level inside the cabin, and also the fuel economy! The shifter thing is really nothing - it took me a few days and I got used to it and it is not an issue at all. I guess I learn fast. Of course, it is not a perfect car. I agree that the navigation interface could be much more responsive and intuitive. I agree that the slight hesitation with the transmission from stationary to acceleration is a bit annoying. However, when I looked at the Lexus IS and GS, A4, C class, 3 series, and Q50, they all had something that irritated me in one way or another. So it's just a matter what the priorities are. To me, the things that irritate me about the TLX are not as important as those that I enjoy. So overall, I just love my car and would recommend it to anyone. Just my opinions! :-)
I almost let the shifting issues get the better of me but decided that I just love the pluses of this car more than the annoying shifting issue. I am going to keep bugging Acura to fix this problem though
The following 6 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
a35tl (08-16-2015), mapleloaf (08-16-2015), nore03 (08-16-2015), Quandry (08-16-2015), quantum7 (08-17-2015), weather (08-16-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:10 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Keeping the pipes tucked away and hidden also keeps the rear of the car cleaner. These new GDI motors do emit a lot of soot from their exhausts which can dirty the rear of the car.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
To OP,

Very fare comments/criticisms . I don't own a TLX for a lot of the reasons you listed + a bunch more. That's why I went with the MDX instead.

I had an 07' 2010 6MT and 2012 6MT TL. I felt very underwhelmed when I saw it in person for the first time at my local Acura dealer. I was there to give a V6 SHAWD a test drive since my 2012's lease was up. I didn't even bother... instead taking the MDX for a test drive and getting that right then and there.

Since they are the same in both vehicles, I mostly agree with your infotainment opinions as well . It's simply not that good but it gets the job done when needed.

Last edited by MyT6MT; 08-17-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:42 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
There are also lots of positive reviews about the new ILX. You might also find the article in the link below interesting about C & D's long standing bias towards all things German.

https://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/200...pisses-me-off/
I know this is OT, but I have to defend Car & Driver here. That article is from 2007, before BMW started moving toward luxury and maximum sales, and away from exquisite feel and driving dynamics. Car & Driver has frequently criticized BMW for this, especially the F30 3 Series for its pathetically numb steering and general lack of sharpness, and the F10 5 Series for being overweight and failing to deliver the classic 5 Series driving experience. Heck, the IS350 won a comparison test against a 335i! (I haven't driven the 5, but I've driven a couple of F30 3 Series variants, and think C&D's criticisms are spot on.)

Yes, they do like German cars, but IMO they're fairly objective, and recognize when others have superior dynamics, like the ATS.

Quick Reply: Reasons to NOT buy a TLX