Quick 2.4 test drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Quick 2.4 test drive

I had a chance to do quick test drive of a 2.4 Tech today, and here are my impressions. Please keep in mind that I haven't driven the V-6.

- The DCT shifts smooth and fast. I felt like 8 gears was "enough" to keep the engine in its sweet spot. I'm not sure if there's really a need to have more gears that are only used in specific overdrive/highway situations.

- For everyday driving, I'd choose Sport.

- In Eco, Normal, and Sport, you can change gears using the paddle shifters, but the transmission reverts back to automatic after a "given time". This time was about 2-3 seconds. Coming from a manual, I was a little disappointed that I couldn't manually control it in all modes. Do I "need" to? Well, no. But I like using my clutch even in slower traffic. It also wouldn't let me shift manually from a stop. I had to start accelerating in automatic, then use the paddles.

- Overall, the steering was nice. While it didn't quite have the weight that I hoped for, it was very smooth and linear.

- Smooth is the word of the day. Quiet interior, firm but controlled ride. Yet the 2.4 wanted to rev and the car felt tossable given its size and weight, especially if it had tires with more grip. I've always loved the high-revving nature of Honda engines. While I've had a few turbos and appreciate the low-end torque, the 2.4 has a nice power curve without being too high strung.

- The interior quality was solid. When I sat in the V-6 Tech last week, I was concerned that the bolsters weren't large enough, and that the leather was too slippery. While I didn't go super hard into any corners, I was pleasantly surprised that the seats held me in place. However, after my test drive I sat in the base V-6 from last week, and it does seem like the leatherette would have a little more grip for spirited driving. I also think the leatherette is a solid alternative to the leather. I'm not really into the extra Tech features, and I'd rather save the money.

- And I could put these savings to good use. I try to avoid hyperbole, but honestly the 17 inch wheels are awful. Maybe in the Winter -- covered with slush, salt, and grime -- they would look better. I would try to get the stock V-6 wheels from someone who's upgrading, or go aftermarket in search of an OEM+ look (need the offset for fitment). My dealer showed no interest in giving me anything for the stock wheels and tires if I upgraded with the purchase.

- I really like BWP. But I used to be a pretty obsessive detailer, and I'm afraid the BWP would cause me to revert to my old ways. So in the interest of less maintenance, I will probably go with SSM. Of course, like others I need to see it in person. But based on the pics it looks better than SM, which is a little plain to me.

- Overall, I'm impressed. But again, it was a quick test drive, and I'd like to spend more time in the car. I'm definitely leaning towards getting one, but my left leg is still holding me back a bit. I will miss the visceral feel of shifting myself. Sure, I'm not the greatest manual driver in the world, but at least it's me and not some pre-programmed logic. But I'm at a point where I'd like upgrade in size, and a tossable grand tourer is my goal. The DCT is a nice compromise. In fact, it might be the only compromise because I don't think that I would go with a full automatic. I also don't want to settle for a car that I'm less enamored with just to have a manual. I've always admired Honda as a company. Yes, they can be a bit conservative, but they still seem to hit the right notes with me, especially with the TLX.
The following 7 users liked this post by acura15:
a35tl (08-14-2014), CoquiTSX (08-15-2014), Gen4MDX (08-14-2014), internalaudit (08-15-2014), Nedmundo (08-15-2014), Rocketsfan (08-14-2014), Stew4HD (08-15-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Good review- the automatics are getting so good that I don't miss shifting too much now. The biggest nits I have at the moment (haven't seen a TLX in person yet) are:

-the exposed cupholder- just looks a little ghetto compared to what the previous models had.

-the doors lacking the diagonal grab handles.

- the lack of DVD-A support

I can live with the wheels and the reduced size.
The following users liked this post:
Rocketsfan (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Good review- the automatics are getting so good that I don't miss shifting too much now. The biggest nits I have at the moment (haven't seen a TLX in person yet) are:

-the exposed cupholder- just looks a little ghetto compared to what the previous models had.
I agree, but this is what several manufacturers are doing now. The Q50, IS, and I believe, the ATS all have the exposed cupholders.

-the doors lacking the diagonal grab handles.
This actually irked me at the dealership when I reached for the door where I normally do and caught nothing but air. But, it's something you can probably get used to assuming you don't always swing the door open wide.
I bought a few DVD-A's for my 3G when I bought the car. I have no clue what I did with them. So, as you can tell, it's not a big deal to me. But I can see why others, especially audiophiles, would be a bit peeved.
I can live with the wheels and the reduced size.
I saw the 4-cylinder in person and the wheels on it looked "less horrible" because the black outlining in them showed up/contrasted better in person, but I still didn't care for them. The standard wheels on the V6 are ok, but nothing great. The upgraded 19" diamond cut wheels look pretty good, but I don't plan on spending that much money just to upgrade the tires and rims. I think they're like $3500 if you get the tires along with them. And if you're talking about the size of the car, I'm happy they reduced the size. I wasn't a fan of the 4G's size.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Next on my list will be to listen to the base stereo. Not that it would be a dealbreaker, but I do expect it to be a step above the base stereo that I listened to in the Accord Sport.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by acura15
Next on my list will be to listen to the base stereo. Not that it would be a dealbreaker, but I do expect it to be a step above the base stereo that I listened to in the Accord Sport.
If you have a DTS CD, take it with you. What a huge diference between the ELS and the Accord's audio