Questions Regarding Potential TLX Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015 | 06:00 PM
10th Gear

Questions Regarding Potential TLX Purchase

Hi guys, I'm a 99 3.2 TL owner who's looking to upgrade to the TLX. I've read that there's been some concerns with the transmission of the V6 model. Since I've had to deal with a bunch of transmission issues with my old TL (see my post history), I'm worried about the long term reliability of the 9-speed transmissions. I want to ask if this is a legitimate concern, and of the same nature as the older model TLs, and if the 8-speed transmissions on the 4-cylinder models experience the same issues. I'd also like to get opinions on whether the tech package is worth it. I've been driving a loaner car for the past few days which is the 4 cylinder model with tech package included, and I've not found the navigation system to be as intuitive as my $100 Garmin GPS. I have never received a ticket for as long as I've been driving (six years) so I doubt the extra safety features would be of use either. Basically I'm trying to convince myself to do without it. Thanks you for any opinions and feedback.

Last edited by by45; 08-01-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2015 | 06:57 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by by45
Hi guys, I'm a 99 3.2 TL owner who's looking to upgrade to the TLX. I've read that there's been some concerns with the transmission of the V6 model. Since I've had to deal with a bunch of transmission issues with my old TL (see my post history), I'm worried about the long term reliability of the 9-speed transmissions. I want to ask if this is a legitimate concern, and of the same nature as the older model TLs, and if the 8-speed transmissions on the 4-cylinder models experience the same issues. I'd also like to get opinions on whether the tech package is worth it. I've been driving a loaner car for the past few days which is the 4 cylinder model with tech package included, and I've not found the navigation system to be as intuitive as my $100 Garmin GPS. I have never received a ticket for as long as I've been driving (six years) so I doubt the extra safety features would be of use either. Basically I'm trying to convince myself to do without it. Thanks you for any opinions and feedback.

There are two threads on this in the "Problems and Fixes" section. Acura just released a software update for the 9ZF that, at least initially, seems to address the biggest issues with the 9-speed. But time will tell. Other software updates have improved performance but then the improvements went away. Hopefully this one sticks.

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...update-933912/

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...issues-920749/
Old 08-02-2015 | 06:17 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Rocket_man gave you the rundown on the transmissions, so I'll tackle the other question. I'd say the Tech package is worth it for the seats alone. You get an upgrade from leatherette to perforated leather, and the stereo is upgraded to the ELS audio. Those two things alone make it worth it in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (08-04-2015)
Old 08-03-2015 | 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by youngTL
Rocket_man gave you the rundown on the transmissions, so I'll tackle the other question. I'd say the Tech package is worth it for the seats alone. You get an upgrade from leatherette to perforated leather, and the stereo is upgraded to the ELS audio. Those two things alone make it worth it in my opinion.
The amount of tech included with all the other features is a great bargain compared to the base. Beyond the leather which is way nicer, the stereo is a great upgrade and the safety features will probably lower your insurance over time as there are more active safety systems.

I use my iphone nav much more than any sort of acura nav. However if I'm in an area with no service or I need to be on the phone the built in nav is great. Plus I don't have to worry about it being stolen or overheating.

IMO, It's like buying a 335 with halogen headlights, spend the $500 and get the nice LED ones!
Old 08-04-2015 | 09:45 AM
Advanced

Drove both the i4 and the v6. The i4 is a bit 'heavy' to me, which is why I went with the v6. i4 with the 8spd DCT is really best at w/ lighter car like the ilx.

As far as transmission issues. There is a heated debate on hard shift (jerk) from gears 2-3. I bought my car in May 2015, build date 11/14 and for me that jerk is minimal and almost nonexistent. I've tried it in sports mode and the gear shifts fine from 2-3, so i believe it's just a matter of a software update.

I've went with the tech for 2 reasons, leather and ELS stereo. Definitely worth it.

Just my 2 cents^^
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015 | 11:40 AM
Pro

Same here... leather plus ELS plus Nav and phone integration.
Old 08-10-2015 | 01:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I went with the 6 but would certainly have bought the 2.4 8 speed if the colour scheme i wanted was available. I drove the 2.4 extensively and found it more than peppy enough. Many of the reviewers feel that it has the sportier feel. However, I am more than satisfied with the 6, especially as the 2-3 shift has really smoothed out and is often either unnoticeable or has a minor notched feeling. The SH_AWD is very nice in our winters and the extra power can be fun!