Preffered IDS mode.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clocks
Just broke 300miles today, so I've stayed away from Sport/+ so far. Split time between Econ and Normal. While my 2014 Accord was very drivable in Econ, the TLX is a dog in ECON mode. It really saps any life out of the car. It's fine when its snowy/wet, or the engine is still warming up.

By the time Spring comes, I suspect I with be 50/50 Normal/Sport.
About 350mi on the car now, so I tried Sport this morning. Wow, it's like a totally different car. Econ very sluggish, much worse the the Econ on the latest Accord. Normal is ok. Sport mode seems really quick! Watching the RPMs though, I suspect it will have a big impact on mileage.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:25 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, sport definitely has the better feel for me, but my MPG was clocking in just as bad as my old V6 Altima, so I switched to Normal and am getting better fuel mileage now.

My commute has long stretches of freeway, but there are a lot of uphill and downhill sections.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Update: After finally having some extended time behind the wheel i.e. commute from my parents to back to my home and puttering around town for work and stuff, Sport is the sweet spot! Stiffens the steering enough and the throttle response is what I'm used to coming from the TSX. I used Econ on the highway because I was just cruising, which netted 35 MPG. Econ and Normal in traffic is just annoying. Downshifts come too early and I feel like it's struggling through mud or something.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by vgr926
I have tried all modes, and here are some suggestions.

First, you won't see any difference in the mpg when cruising on a highway at a constant speed, as the transmission is going to be in the highest gear no matter what. If you are riding on an even surface at 65 mph, you will get about 43-46 mpg in any mode.

Now my opinion on individual IDS modes:

"Economy": I would strongly advise against driving in this mode. Even if it provides some fuel economy gain compared to say "Normal"/"Sport", it is minute. On the downside, I feel that this mode is plain dangerous because the lack of acceleration makes your lane changes quite precarious. This is especially true for stop and go traffic (which many here suggest this mode is designed for) when you try to pull out of a slow lane into the faster lane in front of approaching traffic. Plus, driving in this mode makes you feel like you are in a Prius.

"Normal": Overall ok but after a while it get boring. Again, if there is any fuel economy gain compared to "Sport", it is not significant.

"Sport": I feel that overall this is the most versatile and enjoyable. It gives you good mpg on a freeway (at least the way I drive) and at the same time nice power that makes the car fun to drive. In the city, you can make it behave like "Normal"/"Economy" (if that's what you gravitate towards) if you are gentle with the gas pedal. So I set it as my default mode. Some people commented here that "Sport" mode is not great in heavy traffic. I see no problem here either. Again, be gentle with the gas pedal, that's all.

"Sport+": Well, this is actually becoming my #2 driving mode. At first, I stayed away from it because I did't really understand what it was. But now that I do, I find more and more uses for it. So, there are two important things to keep in mind about the IDS mode: (a) it will not change gears on its own until the tachometer either hits the redline or drops <1000 rpm; and (b) once you set a particular gear with the steering wheel levers, it will persist indefinitely until the first condition is violated. So, given this insight, I found the following uses for "Sport+" so far:
1) Learning how to drive the car in a "manual" mode (useful for me because I only drove automatics up to now).
2) Driving in stop-and-go traffic if you want to eliminate potential transmission jerkiness and make your ride very smooth. What you do is you set the gear manually in "2", and it will stay in it even through stops (unless you brake hard).
3) Getting the highest fuel economy on the freeway. You set the gear in "8" and keep going. This prevents occasional downshifts on small hills.
4) Just for the fun of it... If you are at a stop sign in front of a steep hill, just switch to "Sport+" and floor the gas pedal. Enjoy the ride, but don't forget to eventually switch to the manual gear control when you get to the top...

Enjoy driving, everybody!
I enjoyed your dissertation on the use of the various IDS modes. However, I would take exception with the notion that using the Econ setting is somehow dangerous. Perhaps if you are a compulsive lane changer in stop and go traffic, you may find it easier to be that guy who needs to get to his destination 30 seconds faster with 15 lane changes. Frankly, that's far more dangerous. For the vast majority of us, it makes sense to use eco in stop and go. If you use Auto Idle stop as i do for the 3.5, you may opt to use Normal if you want the auto idle stop to engage less frequently. I would say that there is a slight difference between Eco and normal as far as fuel economy goes for the 3.5 and presumably that would increase using Sport. I have no issues with the 3.5 in econ as far as acceleration in city driving. I understand that may be different with the 2.4
Old 12-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Vancouver Island BC

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a steep, long mountain pass highway to go over before getting to more flat/small hill driving. Any suggestions on which mode might be best
Old 12-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
^^ What is the condition of that road? If potentially snow covered then Normal (or Econ if you can stand it), as sudden acceleration may result in wheel spin and loss of traction. If bare and dry then Sport.
The following users liked this post:
dennis1 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 02:26 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Consistently interchanging between Sport and Econ, dependent on where I am in my daily commute. Thanks to the OP for his overview, very much appreciated.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys,

As i'm driving more and more, i must say that the default for me is Sport. Now i'm just wondering if i'm loosing alot in the way of fuel economy by always having it in sport?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
^ Maybe not a lot but that will primarily depend on your driving style, e.g., jack rabbit starts, hard braking, and lots of hard overtaking.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura2010
Thanks for the responses guys,

As i'm driving more and more, i must say that the default for me is Sport. Now i'm just wondering if i'm loosing alot in the way of fuel economy by always having it in sport?
I found that the difference is minimal in day-to-day traffic. The excitement in Sports mode definitely outweighs the minimal gain in MPG in Econo. Maybe there is a better gain with Econo on long trips where cruise control and a steady speed come into play.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
vgr926 pretty much sums up my experience. The first few weeks I primarily kept it in normal, but find sport more enjoyable. Also, kudos to his mileage experiments.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
As we are on the IDS Topic.....is it just me, but i feel that in Sport mode, along with the quicker throttle response and steering feel and weight, i also feel that the suspension gets stiffer. I thought i read somewhere that the different sport modes do not change the suspension settings, but i am certain i feel a more planted, stiffer, feeling in sport.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:35 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Acura2010 -- I agree with your point, sense the same thing as I switch between the various modes myself.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura2010
As we are on the IDS Topic.....is it just me, but i feel that in Sport mode, along with the quicker throttle response and steering feel and weight, i also feel that the suspension gets stiffer. I thought i read somewhere that the different sport modes do not change the suspension settings, but i am certain i feel a more planted, stiffer, feeling in sport.
Sport mode does affect torque vectoring in the SH-AWD model and affects P-AWS, as well, but I don't believe it stiffens the suspension.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I've been reading everything I can about the TLX for the last couple of months, and found nothing about an adjustable suspension. Perhaps it's just a feeling in the sporty modes.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with you. You have to use common sense here. All driving modes are useful and I like that Acura is giving us the choice. I like sport mode very much, but sometimes I do switch to Economy while on the highway. It's not just about driving in the lowest gear on the highway. It's also responsiveness to the gas pedal. Quick acceleration feels great, but fuel consumption goes up significantly. Economy mode takes care of it (while taking the joy of driving out of it ... lol). Overall, TLX rocks the way it drives. I think start stop is more of an issue when you stop at the intersections.